Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

KungFu Grip posted:

sorry for being a buzz kill with this post, dream was a good wrestler

Dont worry, he sucked way too much for anybody to get maudlin at you about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

KungFu Grip posted:

sorry for being a buzz kill with this post, dream was a good wrestler

He really wasn't which is why it is so funny they were trying to backdoor him into a training role.

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

https://twitter.com/LocalSoundwave/status/1395485973908180994?s=20

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

He really wasn't which is why it is so funny they were trying to backdoor him into a training role.

i dunno forums liked a lot of his matches before he was too bad irl

lol at them trying to make him a trainer

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Congrats to WWE on reducing the number of pedos on their roster by 25%

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

KungFu Grip posted:

He was having bad matches for a long time and a lot of people here already cooled on him before the stuff came out.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmfao

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Dream had charisma and character but seemed limited in the ring imho. Surprised it took them this long to release him. I suspect there’s more to the story.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
In the distance a piano starts playing

"What ever happened to the teenagers, Dreeee-eeeeeam?"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/ReneusMeister/status/1395485888327651338?s=20

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lol

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Seams posted:

Dream had charisma and character but seemed limited in the ring imho. Surprised it took them this long to release him. I suspect there’s more to the story.

They desperately wanted a PC success story, which is why they kept pushing him even after the stuff came out and dragged their feet on the "investigation."

John Dudebro
Dec 3, 2013

dream was great at connecting with a crowd and it was a breath of fresh air in nxt to have someone who actually felt new in a roster that otherwise revolved around a neverending conveyor belt of HOTTEST FREE AGENT indie guys. unfortunately he was also a pedophile so none of that matters and he can go gently caress off and die

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

John Dudebro posted:

dream was great at connecting with a crowd and it was a breath of fresh air in nxt to have someone who actually felt new in a roster that otherwise revolved around a neverending conveyor belt of HOTTEST FREE AGENT indie guys. unfortunately he was also a pedophile so none of that matters and he can go gently caress off and die

pretty much this, yeah

sic semper sex pests

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Benne posted:

They desperately wanted a PC success story, which is why they kept pushing him even after the stuff came out and dragged their feet on the "investigation."

They have Bianca and the Street Profits.

Also I wonder what made them start cleaning house. Wonder if they got some attention from NBC/Comcast about some of their guys and are trying to look good.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Dream had a load of charisma and two great matches with Aleister Black and Ricochet and that was enough to make him seem like a huge prospect but he'd already hosed it by the time the whole pedo thing came out

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Rarity posted:

Dream had a load of charisma and two great matches with Aleister Black and Ricochet and that was enough to make him seem like a huge prospect but he'd already hosed it by the time the whole pedo thing came out

Can't we just apply impossibly false standards of retrospective thinking to this and write it off as in Dream had matches with Main Event(er) Ricochet and Garth Merenghi?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/PettiTree/status/1395490745226862595?s=19
https://twitter.com/PettiTree/status/1395492085877313536?s=19

So in addition to being a pedo Dream is apparently a raging rear end in a top hat

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

yeah, rovert said that one of dream's early absences was due to him trashing stuff backstage. I believe he was also charged for damaging a persons car too while in the pc.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Shayna retweeted this

https://twitter.com/CatchWrestling/status/1395298610334642177

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

https://twitter.com/dreemvelveteen/status/1395488566248157186?s=21

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lol

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Codependent Poster posted:

Wonder if they got some attention from NBC/Comcast about some of their guys and are trying to look good.
Feels more like Trips got demoted and shuffled down, and can't carry their weight anymore. I always feel like his insecurity shows through in NXT, especially with NXT losing the "imaginary war" brutally.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

KungFu Grip posted:

I honestly am having a really hard time thinking of anything that was good besides the Black feud and uhhh

That one spot where Ricochet flipped and he did a :stare: face?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Lid posted:

Shayna retweeted this

i mean she was built to be a big bad at elimination chamber then lost the title shot and got hitched with the worst wrestler in the company to wrestle the same two tag matches for 4 months

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I like WWE's approach to PR where someone will do something that should get them immediately fired if not arrested and WWE will ignore it and then fire them a year down the line without giving a reason.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

graph posted:

i mean she was built to be a big bad at elimination chamber then lost the title shot and got hitched with the worst wrestler in the company to wrestle the same two tag matches for 4 months
I think she's talking about her friend who was released but is apparently being moved within the company or looking to do so.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think Shayna retweeting that has more to do with Jessamyn Duke, who technically got released but is staying on to do stuff with UUDD.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
Maybe Dream let his contract run out because he has new priorities. There’s a house seat in Florida that might be opening up soon, he’d be a good fit.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think Dream was good. More potential than talent but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't into his matches and high on him in general.

And also loving good riddance.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Spiderdrake posted:

Feels more like Trips got demoted and shuffled down, and can't carry their weight anymore. I always feel like his insecurity shows through in NXT, especially with NXT losing the "imaginary war" brutally.

NXT booking as of late has been utterly baffling. There are some bright spots, but the low points are much more pronounced. I don't think there have been a colder pair of top champs in the history of the brand than Kross/Raquel.

Kross has absolutely no charisma or character to the point of where ANY change that Vince/Bruce makes to him on the main roster would be a huge upgrade. Hell, they could turn him into Karrion Kross: Clock Enthusiast, and it would still be a huge step up from his current character. I don't think there is a single worker out there with less character than him right now. He's not even a decent big man. He just...exists.

And then you have Raquel Gonzalez, who is supposed to be some sort of badass tweener but is still a massive heel. It doesn't help that almost her entire identity is still tied to Dakota, and her character is "look at me flex my back muscles". There's also the fact that NXT tried to force a huge moment with her, Bianca, and Rhea and acted like those three are the ones elevating women's wrestling right now, when in reality the women's division on NXT has lost almost a ton of its shine ever since Io went on break.

DarkstarIV fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 21, 2021

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/robschamberger/status/1395514460912201730

WWE artist about Dream (I presume).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Also I wonder what made them start cleaning house. Wonder if they got some attention from NBC/Comcast about some of their guys and are trying to look good.

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't think it's a coincidence that Triple H got demoted, Nick Khan very clearly became the one with all the power and a bunch of pieces are getting shuffled around.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

goddamn even the WWEShop artist guy hated him

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

NXT imo has been puttering out ever since they refused to end the eternal Cole/Gargano war and decided to have Ciampa/Gargano do a double turn. Part of that was also why I guess Almas/Black got shuffled out of very short title reigns and left to die on the main roster. I always thought Aleister deserved a way longer run but his championship was such a tiny blip---they finally pushed him, and then pushed him off a cliff. Then it was just the same poo poo ad infinitum with Cole/Baszler holding the title for a loooooong time while the tag teams were incinerated.

It was a slow burnout but it def started when they took away three (Almas/Black/Asuka) of their biggest stars + Asuka didn't even get to put anyone over, she just relinquished the title, and that felt like a massive oversight because so many women could have gotten that rub by beating her.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NXT was doomed the second they didn't capitalize on Breakout Star of the Year Cezar Bononi

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

People say that but NXT has gotten a lot better since the eternal Gargano/Cole wars. And instead of having Johnny always hang around the main event, they're moving him all around the card and allowed him to be a goofy heel which he's excelling at, while also still being treated like a legit threat in the ring. They probably should've pulled the trigger on Bronson Reed at Takeover, but The Way is a legitimately entertaining group.

There's still some bleh stuff like Kross, but ever since they dropped the blueprint of elevate champ - champ wins a lot - champ gets called up - cycle it's been a lot better. I think losing Keith Lee really hurt them and it took them a while to recover, but NXT has a lot of good stuff up and down the card.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

DLC Inc posted:

NXT imo has been puttering out ever since they refused to end the eternal Cole/Gargano war and decided to have Ciampa/Gargano do a double turn. Part of that was also why I guess Almas/Black got shuffled out of very short title reigns and left to die on the main roster. I always thought Aleister deserved a way longer run but his championship was such a tiny blip---they finally pushed him, and then pushed him off a cliff. Then it was just the same poo poo ad infinitum with Cole/Baszler holding the title for a loooooong time while the tag teams were incinerated.

It was a slow burnout but it def started when they took away three (Almas/Black/Asuka) of their biggest stars + Asuka didn't even get to put anyone over, she just relinquished the title, and that felt like a massive oversight because so many women could have gotten that rub by beating her.

If I recall, they did have plans to end Asuka's streak in NXT before she was called up, but Vince wanted her unbeaten...which resulted in her getting fed to Charlotte for another pointless accolade like 6 months later but that's WWE for you. But I won't lie and say Ember was a good champ either. Ember -> Shayna -> Kairi -> Shayna again -> Rhea -> Charlotte was an incredibly rough stretch for women's champions. They could have cut out Shayna's second reign (she really didn't need the title back) and it would have been a lot better since her second reign almost killed the division until Candice and Io revived it at Takeover: Toronto.

The division started regaining steam once Io won the title, and has been completely derailed again now that she's on break (although part of me thinks she was taken off of TV just because Triple H doesn't want her overshadowing Raquel, like what happened with Rhea when it came to Bianca and Io confronting her), and is in a weird spot.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

It seems pretty clear that HHH protected Dream and between that and the rave reviews he got at the start of his NXT career, it all went all the loving way to his head and HHH just kept protecting him no matter how many cars he crashed or teenagers he texted.

DLC Inc posted:

The Asuka thing didn't bother me at the time, but her not losing to Ember or Shayna was a big problem.

Gargano turned from a guy who had finally got his triumphant win to Ciampa's personal jobber wound up being such a loser that he had to turn heel.
Black and Almas both got sucked into the Gargano/Ciampa feud and then spat out onto the main roster to flounder.
Ember didn't get to beat Asuka and then got eaten up by Shayna.
Kairi, I think, won the belt, then lost it right back to Shayna. I remember this one in particular was loving baffling at the time.
Rhea....I think we all know what happened there.

You can point to this one character or angle or that one but I think the issue is, NXT just became as bad at booking its babyfaces as the main roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

People say that but NXT has gotten a lot better since the eternal Gargano/Cole wars. And instead of having Johnny always hang around the main event, they're moving him all around the card and allowed him to be a goofy heel which he's excelling at, while also still being treated like a legit threat in the ring. They probably should've pulled the trigger on Bronson Reed at Takeover, but The Way is a legitimately entertaining group.

There's still some bleh stuff like Kross, but ever since they dropped the blueprint of elevate champ - champ wins a lot - champ gets called up - cycle it's been a lot better. I think losing Keith Lee really hurt them and it took them a while to recover, but NXT has a lot of good stuff up and down the card.

I havent watched an episode of NXT in years but from the bits and pieces i've picked up on via reviews, clips, and recaps, it certainly seems like as a show its gotten much better in 2021 but they are doing the WCW thing of having a really loving strong undercard but a terrible main event scene. With that said there's a tonne of real potential here and if things keep going in the right direction they might somehow become something like the NXT of old.