Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm missing one piece each for the Horsepower and Afterburner upgrades and I have no idea where they are and I'm going to poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Pollyanna posted:

I'm missing one piece each for the Horsepower and Afterburner upgrades and I have no idea where they are and I'm going to poo poo.

They're both in sea monkey nests in the area above Marguerite's underwater base. Should be in roughly the same area as the ultra-high capacity tank if you found that.

Note that the horsepower upgrade only decreases the slowdown effect of having 2+ modules attached to your Seatruck. If you're using either a base Seatruck or only hauling one module it won't do anything.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

They're both in sea monkey nests in the area above Marguerite's underwater base. Should be in roughly the same area as the ultra-high capacity tank if you found that.

Note that the horsepower upgrade only decreases the slowdown effect of having 2+ modules attached to your Seatruck. If you're using either a base Seatruck or only hauling one module it won't do anything.

I've looked for all the nests I can and I'm coming across exactly no new ones. I am at a loss for where else they might be, and the scanner room is too crappy to help track them down particularly well. Any chance I can get world positions?

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I think I just twigged to the "loop" of the first game.

Basically, each radio signal leads you to a new biome and once there, you're supposed to build a new sensor base to scan for wrecks and fragments.

Then, by collecting all of those, you end up with more useful equipment to help you on the next signal.

Is that about right?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeap, that sounds right.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You figured it out before I did, at least :(

I have one major center base and some outposts with moonpools and scanners. I commute back and forth a lot. It's kind of unfun, actually.

Also, you probably picked up a map of the area. It's extremely important that you get to Omega as soon as you're able.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 21, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Everyone, please for the love of god don't be like me and ignore the alien distress signal for almost 16 hours. :negative:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, I think I found the problem with this game. The expected progression absolutely falls apart if you ignore or get distracted away from reaching the Alien Distress Signal. After you do so, the game leads you to biomes, materials, and flora that are vital to getting most of the upgrades and tech that you need. Without progressing past that point, you're basically flying solo and completely guideless. You must get to that point early or the game's a meandering mess.

Super loving lame, honestly, and they should really consider railroading you onto it more, or at least making it easier to get to.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Pollyanna posted:

I have one major center base and some outposts with moonpools and scanners. I commute back and forth a lot. It's kind of unfun, actually.

Also, you probably picked up a map of the area. It's extremely important that you get to Omega as soon as you're able.

Outpost with moonpools?? That seems like a huge waste of resources.

In the first game I usually make a second moonpool where everybody and their dog builds a second base, but that's it.

In the second game I have 1 main base and no second base.

I do have a bunch of scanner outposts, but they just have a scanner and some kind of power generation, that's all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why does everything need so much loving lead? It's one of the rarest materials in reality, and yet.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Pollyanna posted:

Why does everything need so much loving lead? It's one of the rarest materials in reality, and yet.

:ssh:

build a scanner in twisty bridges, it's all over the place

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

Kin posted:

I think I just twigged to the "loop" of the first game.

Basically, each radio signal leads you to a new biome and once there, you're supposed to build a new sensor base to scan for wrecks and fragments.

Then, by collecting all of those, you end up with more useful equipment to help you on the next signal.

Is that about right?

I only ever built one base in either game. Then again, I was never really into base building and just had a big central room with all of the basics randomly scattered around the walls, a moonpool, and maybe a scanner room. A couple of lockers to store important items, the rest of the poo poo gets stored in piles outside of the base on the ground.

Diamonds and kyanite? You're good enough to come inside and sit in a locker. More titainum? You can hang out in the creepvine cluster dump out back.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

PDP-1 posted:

:ssh:

build a scanner in twisty bridges, it's all over the place

I’ve been farming Twisty Bridges, it’s still a pain in the rear end. Galena is definitely rarer than limestone and argentite and the drop chance doesn’t help. And I’ll be hosed if I pull out the cameras to plod my way to an orange circle ever again.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm doing a replay of Subnautica before starting a BZ run.

I always build lots of mini-bases consisting of pretty much just scanner rooms and maybe a charger or fabricator, but I'm trying to decide where I should build my big, sprawling mega base. Any suggestions?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

grand reef near sea treader's path

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Sea monkeys are perfect in every way except that I can't offer them things in return

Yeah, was really hoping they'd pick up food I dropped near them since the pda entry mentions their curiosity is partly b/c they hope to get food.

PDP-1 posted:

I followed one of those alien pipe things until it disappeared into a glacier near Phi Base station and found what looked to be a transparent sheet of ice wall that I couldn't break or laser cut blocking then entrance to a cave. The seaglide 3D map shows a tunnel behind it - is there some way to get in there?

Ii found that too but didn't have a beacon and still haven't found my way in. It totally reminded me of Banjo Kazooie's Ice-Key though, I was half ready to just accept it was an easter egg of some kind.

Tom Tucker posted:

Is anyone else getting a super weird reflection effect on their double-wide alien containments?

Yes and it also looks kind of weird from the top from outside the glass dome roof on my big room.

khy posted:

I remember Jellyfish Caves being one of the best easily early-accessible pretty spots to build your main base. Really unless you go out to the extreme edges, anywhere is close enough to cool stuff that I'd always go with picking out the place you're most pleased seeing as you revisit your base and work inside of it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

khy posted:

I always build lots of mini-bases consisting of pretty much just scanner rooms and maybe a charger or fabricator, but I'm trying to decide where I should build my big, sprawling mega base. Any suggestions?

On one of the underwater floating islands

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Oh man, don't sleep on making the powered fins. I didn't make them for a long time because they were sort of underpowered in the original game, but they charge poo poo super fast in this one. You can swim around with the ore detector out or use the seaglider and still be gaining charge on their batteries. They're basically a "never worry about tool batteries again" upgrade.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

StarkRavingMad posted:

Oh man, don't sleep on making the powered fins. I didn't make them for a long time because they were sort of underpowered in the original game, but they charge poo poo super fast in this one. You can swim around with the ore detector out or use the seaglider and still be gaining charge on their batteries. They're basically a "never worry about tool batteries again" upgrade.

In the first game you can potentially play a long time before finding the fragments for the charger, but in this one you get it together with the base builder (another great gameplay change), so I don't feel that battery power is a problem.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Pollyanna posted:

I'm having a really hard time figuring out where this "greenhouse on an iceberg" is. I found an iceberg that had a big ol' artifact on it, but nothing else. Where in relation to that am I supposed to go?

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Honestly, you probably need to watch a youtube for this. I can tell it's like 1km east of delta, but it's a pita to find so just watch a video that will hold your hand.

That's rather interesting as I thought it was very well marked; it's the only iceberg with Alterra tech lying around on its beaches, a clear indication of a nearby base. That's probably a common theme with the game; the breadcrumbs are sparse and might leave someone aimless, but if you are randomly exploring all of the "interesting stuff HERE" signposts are very loud and explicit.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

uXs posted:

Yeah the sonar from the original is sorely missing.

I think the Seatruck is amazing and way, way better than the Seamoth or Cyclops.

It fixes the biggest issue I had with the Cyclops, where you had to choose between taking a Seamoth or a Prawn with you. Take the Seamoth and you can't go deep enough or dig the ore piles, and take the Prawn and it will take you ages to get back to base. The Seatruck can just haul the Prawn and when you need to quickly go somewhere you can dump the modules for a quick second and zoom off to wherever you want to be.

That said, it could use some improvement: the storage module is too small, as is the storage in the fabricator module. The sleep and aquarium modules are pretty useless (the game sorely needs fish breeding in normal aquariums), and the teleporter is too expensive and would require 2-way teleporting to be actually useful.

A sonar module would've been awesome, but probably overpowered.

I did and do love the Cyclops, but the Seatruck is just better because it's a (slightly smaller) Cyclops and Seamoth in 1.

(And why didn't they make a farming module?)

Uh...the what now?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Uh...the what now?

It's not very useful and is somewhat hidden: https://subnautica-belowzero.fandom.com/wiki/Seatruck_Teleportation_Module

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Pollyanna posted:

I only really twigged to it when i used a mod to help me with the building of stuff without resource requirements so i could play the story mode without the ore hunting grind.

That let me quickly knock bases together anywhere and i spotted that the 4th or 5th signal had some pretty advanced stuff vs the 1st one.

Problem is, i didn't realise it until reaching that point, so didn't get the beacon blueprint in the first biome and have no idea where signals 2-4 were again.

I had to use an online map to help me try to relocate the floating island and even then it took quite a bit of effort.

Do you eventually get an ingame map?

Kin fucked around with this message at 08:30 on May 21, 2021

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

khy posted:

In the northeast there's a big arch overlooking the mushroom forest and bordering the bulbs. It's very pretty and has a nearby thermal vent (might want to get rid of the pest that hangs around there but it's easily avoided). It's been my spot the last few games. Used to like the border of the red zone but the noise from the big whale things started to give me a headache.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve been farming Twisty Bridges, it’s still a pain in the rear end. Galena is definitely rarer than limestone and argentite and the drop chance doesn’t help. And I’ll be hosed if I pull out the cameras to plod my way to an orange circle ever again.

Pull out the cameras?

So you don't know about the HUD chip?

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

I got my sea truck, but cant go lower than 150 :/

I was having fun ramming everything until i spotted the thing was on electrical fire.

Id been looking at my own health/heat or whatever the 100% was when i realised i had 4% health on my truck left ><

Also ran into some reddish plated thing that just took a bite out of the truck instead of getting rammed T.T

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Serephina posted:

That's rather interesting as I thought it was very well marked; it's the only iceberg with Alterra tech lying around on its beaches, a clear indication of a nearby base. That's probably a common theme with the game; the breadcrumbs are sparse and might leave someone aimless, but if you are randomly exploring all of the "interesting stuff HERE" signposts are very loud and explicit.

The problem is that there's loads of icebergs, and you'll only see the Alterra tech on the beach if you happen to swim close to that particular iceberg, and while it is about 1km east of Delta Island, it's also about 200m south, so if you swim out 1km east, and don't see it, you're now blindly searching the icebergs, because it could just as easily be "1.2km east" as "1km east plus 200m north", as it could be "1km east plus 200m south". Further, the East Arctic extends waaay further north than it does south, if you get out to the right distance and head north instead of south, you end up in a location that has loads of bergs, none of which are correct. Add to that that the game loves having weather conditions that remove visibility above the water to virtually nothing, and that there's a PDA announcement in a different part of the same biome that might lead you to assume that you are close to the correct location (when you aren't), and it's super easy to just end up swimming in circles not spotting the correct one.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Pollyanna posted:

I didn't go there until the end, since I figured that with a name like Omega it must be an end-game sort of thing. But I don't remember there being anything of special importance there?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Reveilled posted:

The problem is that there's loads of icebergs, and you'll only see the Alterra tech on the beach if you happen to swim close to that particular iceberg, and while it is about 1km east of Delta Island, it's also about 200m south, so if you swim out 1km east, and don't see it, you're now blindly searching the icebergs, because it could just as easily be "1.2km east" as "1km east plus 200m north", as it could be "1km east plus 200m south". Further, the East Arctic extends waaay further north than it does south, if you get out to the right distance and head north instead of south, you end up in a location that has loads of bergs, none of which are correct. Add to that that the game loves having weather conditions that remove visibility above the water to virtually nothing, and that there's a PDA announcement in a different part of the same biome that might lead you to assume that you are close to the correct location (when you aren't), and it's super easy to just end up swimming in circles not spotting the correct one.

Yeah, the crap weather topside makes it quite challenging to find. I wound up having to Youtube it and oriented myself by a weird protrusion underwater from an iceberg.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Oasx posted:

I didn't go there until the end, since I figured that with a name like Omega it must be an end-game sort of thing. But I don't remember there being anything of special importance there?

Blueprints for the desaliator and nuke plant. Oh, that's in addition to the whole 'fully functional base ready to scan', that is.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
For finding stuff that's hard to find, I decided to use the wiki for coordinates but forbade myself from using the ingame debug menu, instead using direction and distance from landmarks. It felt like a good intermediate between finding stuff myself and being told exactly where to go. I even drew my own map...

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Serephina posted:

Blueprints for the desaliator and nuke plant. Oh, that's in addition to the whole 'fully functional base ready to scan', that is.

I believe you can find a nuclear reactor at one other base, cant remember which one. You can also find a desalinator and a ton of other useful blue prints at Outpost Zero, which is pretty close to your drop pod.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I mean yea, most blueprints can be found in multiple places (apart from 'plot' given ones, stuff M gives you, and the loving horsepower upgrade). But in terms of treasure troves, the bases are all worth beelining. Omega just has a little more than others.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

So how do you regain hp in freedom mode?

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
How do you use scanner rooms? I built one but I'm not.. exactly sure how to make it work, to be honest, and I do need help because I'm so bad at finding fragments that I don't have a grav trap unlocked but do have a nuclear reactor recipe because I'm kinda randomly stumbling on things.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

khy posted:

I'm not one for huge bases, but so far on my run I aside from just scanner outpost bases I'm thinking of making like, 3 mediumish bases in sort of a triangle around the map. One somewhere near the big mushroom tree, one somewhere around where the floating island is, one somewhere around the mushroom forest near the front of the Aurora (I like how mushroom forests look). Main purpose of each will probably be to have growbeds/power cell chargers/water filtration at each spot. I'm bad about neglecting food or drink for too long and having to rush back for supplies.

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

khy posted:

Underside of the floating island.

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

coolusername posted:

How do you use scanner rooms? I built one but I'm not.. exactly sure how to make it work, to be honest, and I do need help because I'm so bad at finding fragments that I don't have a grav trap unlocked but do have a nuclear reactor recipe because I'm kinda randomly stumbling on things.

There is a computer screen on one side of the room with a menu of all the different items it can scan for, click the item you want and it will start highlighting the items it finds on the 3D map. This does take a while to get started, give it 30 seconds or so.

On the other side of the room from the computer wall there is a fabricator that you can use to upgrade scan speed/distance and also make a computer chip that will highlight scanned items on your screen while you're outside swimming around.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

coolusername posted:

They're a base component that's notoriously fickle to place, it needs a lot more clearance than you think. It draws a non-negligible amount of power and shows a holo3d map of the scan range it has, and you can request an object from a list of nearby things and it'll eventually populate the holomap with blips showing where they are, starting with the closest. There are upgrades (fabb'd in the room itself) that let it populate the map faster, and scan further. They stack, and the second one is more useful imo. You can fab a HUD chip so that you get big icons showing where the scanned items are when walking about normally, and also fab some drone cameras (which come with HUD chips) to go fly about and explore dodgy areas for you.

Don't worry about finding things in 'must-have' progressions, just keep puttering about and exploring areas the game prompts you to when you feel comfortable to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
After playing for a few hours I was a bit disappointed by the graphics, everything seemed a bit blurry. When I checked the settings I found out that the game had defaulted to 1080p for some reason, when my monitor is 1440p. After changing to the proper resolution everything looks so much better and clearer.