Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

I don't know if anyone made this prediction, but I'm going with it's the Sherlock. The lens is from the magnifying glass.
This works even better than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Some Guy TT posted:

Kevin doesn't avoid getting killed by predators because of his greater wisdom but because of his greater bulk. Time and again we've seen him survive confrontations that would kill a smaller rabbit by just punching the aspiring predator in the face.

"The system works for me, so it must work for everyone."

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Alright, question: does anyone think anybody in Funk or Crank is actually going to catch the virus. Does he go that far.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hostile V posted:

Alright, question: does anyone think anybody in Funk or Crank is actually going to catch the virus. Does he go that far.

The Lisa-replacement wife, so that Les can have another heartbreaking loss arc that nobody cares about. And maybe write some books about it that don't turn out to be half as popular as the breathtaking saga of 'My wife died of cancer and I'm the most important person in existence because of it.'
And then he remarries to someone else who gets even less screen time in favor of him drumming the Lisa drum even harder. Also, turns out Lisa recorded some prescient VHS tapes about 'so there's a pandemic, huh?', and 'Oh you're the third wife? Well he'll still be thinking of me when you gently caress.'

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

SubNat posted:

Moomin and the Golden Tail

e: fullsize of the newspaper:

I love that in the tiny newspaper picture you can see Moominpappa dancing on the table and another Moomin doing the "I've got my hand up blocking my vision, I do not see or know this person" thing.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (September 8, 1999)

I mean, when you're a kid and unsure what is going on, and someone is yelling at you, and you arent sure WHY, you just get the gently caress out of there.

Just " omg an awkward situation and a guy is yelling" EXIT: Stage Left

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
And this does ultimately count as Arlo's fault since he didn't explain dog poo poo etiquette or make sure Gene had a poop bag with him. A&J is a reasonable comic so I expect that to be pointed out at some point, though.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Johnny Aztec posted:

I mean, when you're a kid and unsure what is going on, and someone is yelling at you, and you arent sure WHY, you just get the gently caress out of there.

Just " omg an awkward situation and a guy is yelling" EXIT: Stage Left

as it should be, yeah

Haifisch posted:

And this does ultimately count as Arlo's fault since he didn't explain dog poo poo etiquette or make sure Gene had a poop bag with him. A&J is a reasonable comic so I expect that to be pointed out at some point, though.

yeah, it's pretty much one of those things you don't really think about. arlo asked gene to walk the dog, and that seems clear and obvious, but a kid who hasn't had experience with dogs may not know what walking a dog actually entails.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (October 14, 1933)

Peanuts (May 23, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

COVIDshaft

Something's a little off about this sequence, now that I think about it, but I'm biting my tongue until I see how this plays out.

Mutt and Jeff

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater, in which Wimpy is a chef ahead of his time. (December 20, 1937)

Out Our Way (August 24-26, 1936)

Toonerville Folks (August 13-15, 1917)

Dok's "No Idea What's Up With That Accent, But Spoilering It Anyway" Duck (August 11, 1913)

We now return to Little Lefty, the kid who puts the "red" in "red, white and blue"! (October 11-13, 1934)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 20, 2021

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Kennel fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 20, 2021

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Haifisch posted:

1979 comics

*sigh* It's going to be Sherlock Holmes. The glass is from the magnifying lens

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

That's a good dog and a good uncle.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Green Intern posted:

*sigh* It's going to be Sherlock Holmes. The glass is from the magnifying lens

That was my guess too.

I used to love the Encyclopedia Brown books when I was a kid. Picked one up every book fair.

Doesn't seem to work as well in comics form.

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
The real mystery is why Encyclopedia Brown's in disguise. Don't remember that at all. These strips are terrible adaptations; they keep adding superfluous detail for DRAMA, while making the actual case details hard to find. On the other hand, such gripping mysteries "The Case of the Missing Penguin" (solution: penguins live at the SOUTH Pole) is hard to sell.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Doomykins posted:

"Jucika at the Campsite"

Jucika is a master of power moves.

Isn't she going commando now?

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

SubNat posted:

The Lisa-replacement wife, so that Les can have another heartbreaking loss arc that nobody cares about. And maybe write some books about it that don't turn out to be half as popular as the breathtaking saga of 'My wife died of cancer and I'm the most important person in existence because of it.'
And then he remarries to someone else who gets even less screen time in favor of him drumming the Lisa drum even harder. Also, turns out Lisa recorded some prescient VHS tapes about 'so there's a pandemic, huh?', and 'Oh you're the third wife? Well he'll still be thinking of me when you gently caress.'

B Kliban

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Cobalt-60 posted:

The real mystery is why Encyclopedia Brown's in disguise. Don't remember that at all.
The in-strip explanation was that it's a costume party so Brown would stand out too much if he wasn't in a costume. Nevermind that anyone who'd be on the lookout for him would likely recognize his face anyway.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Animals What Is Funny and Indisputably Online

(the duck is named Guy and the rabbit is named Bradley)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Oh, I love Death Stranding.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

holy poo poo

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Some Guy TT posted:

Kevin doesn't avoid getting killed by predators because of his greater wisdom but because of his greater bulk. Time and again we've seen him survive confrontations that would kill a smaller rabbit by just punching the aspiring predator in the face.

It's not that Kevin is particularly smart, it's that everyone else is apparently a braindead moron compared to him. Like in that one strip the mouse should easily have been able to look at the schedule and also see there weren't any panels going on at that time, just like Kevin did, but he is a braindead moron and thus deserves to be murdered.

I've never seen this one before and I'm amazed that it was published.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

I'm on KC's Patreon and saw this months ago, but I totally forgot about it. I am now laughing just as hard and for just as long as I did the first time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mister Kingdom posted:

Yes, but now the guy can't creep on her panties on the washing line, and that's the important thing.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

EasyEW posted:

We now return to Little Lefty, the kid who puts the "red" in "red, white and blue"! (October 11-13, 1934)

This strip rules

Haifisch posted:

The in-strip explanation was that it's a costume party so Brown would stand out too much if he wasn't in a costume. Nevermind that anyone who'd be on the lookout for him would likely recognize his face anyway.

He's also the only child in attendance at an adult party, so he'd attract attention regardless

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set knows quality.

Working Daze god what am I doing with my life.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix laughs best.

Cul De Sac isn't helping.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Haha, holy poo poo, I've never seen this one before. Wonder how many complaints he got for that one?

Also, I'm not sure if Little Lefty is a good comic, it's too early to tell, really, but I'm liking it already.

gently caress yeah.

Anyways, got my second shot today, so here's a double dose of my comics.

Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Red Knight Nov. 19th-20th, 1940

Axa Oh... oh, no...

Thinking about it, I probably should have seen this coming. Welp, this one's gonna be a bit rough.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Mister Kingdom posted:

Power. Move.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kazinsal posted:

Bernice is an atrocious person and it really shows what kind of people the Evanses are if this is a character they're writing as the paragon of what is right in the Luannverse.

I understand this seems to be the way the thread tends to hate read this strip but I really don't see it that way at all, I think she's obnoxious and lovely and they know it

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Bloop posted:

I understand this seems to be the way the thread tends to hate read this strip but I really don't see it that way at all, I think she's obnoxious and lovely and they know it
Yes, but the main problem is that she's never actually punished for it. She just acts obnoxious and lovely and all her "friends" just shrug and still hang out with her instead of telling her to go gently caress herself and be miserable somewhere else.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yes, but the main problem is that she's never actually punished for it. She just acts obnoxious and lovely and all her "friends" just shrug and still hang out with her instead of telling her to go gently caress herself and be miserable somewhere else.

Oh sure the strip is bad I just don't think the authors intend us to read her as a hero

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Evil Mastermind posted:

exactly. there's no balance

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Green Intern posted:

Oh, I love Death Stranding.

:golfclap:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm with The Bloop on this. The current story is clearly at her expense.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I'm with The Bloop on this. The current story is clearly at her expense.

I don't see it that way at all. We see two different things clearly.

Normally that would be a sign of art but not in this case.

edit: the Evanses do this dunking on art all the time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

i believe they think she's merely an annoying busybody type, rather than an outright awful human being