Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

ben shapino posted:

Herman Cain was literally dying of covid while someone running his Twitter account was downplaying it lol

The fact they kept going even after he was dead was the icing on the cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Detheros posted:

Mask mandates are banned in Iowa, thanks Kim!

:suicide:

Watch the Satanic Temple bring a lawsuit over this.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

hell yeah

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Riptor posted:

hey me too and that means me and my whole family wouldn't have gotten covid, which we did literally four days before my wife and I were eligible for vaccinations. I will literally piss on trump's grave at some point in my life, i promise you this

If Trump were to pass away within the next few years, one could make a tidy sum selling tickets to relieve oneself on his grave.

EDIT: Just so this isn't a total derail: Pfizer #1 last week. Major sweating and mild nausea 2-3 minutes after shot, but went away shortly, no symptoms afterwards.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 21, 2021

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
We could make a grave pissing tour. First stop is Rush Limbaugh.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

The fact they kept going even after he was dead was the icing on the cake.

I hope the Twitter replies never let up on his insanely ghoulish family and staff for doing this

Maybe some day they’ll break through

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

In 2020 I think I laughed hardest at the video of boris johnson farting out that he was shaking hands with everybody he saw in all the covid wards he was visiting (!?) and the techno music faded up and BAM the beat drops and it's the dancing pallbearers of Ghana. I'd search it out but it'd kinda be painful to revisit now.

Just in case you change your mind
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flG9ainIx7g

Charliegrs posted:

One of the cringiest things was basically every big corporation starting their commercials with some variation of "In these difficult times we just want you to know that XYZ corporation is here for you" and it would be like Chevrolet or Chipotle.

Fake concern from multi billion dollar corporations that want you to keep buying their bullshit during the pandemic really enraged me early on.
https://twitter.com/ryanmasri_/status/1280195665302376453?lang=en

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

MadJackal posted:

The majority of people who are vaccine hesitant think they have equal chances of dying from COVID as they do from J&J and think 95% effective protection means it’s pointless since “You can still get sick.”

I mean, as all smart people know, 95% efficacy means that even if you're fully vaxxed, it's still like rolling a 20 sided die every time you go out. And that means that even once you're vaccinated, after 10 visits to the grocery store you have a 50% chance of catching the Covids. At 20 visits, that chance rises to 100%.

So it's obvious that one out of 20 vaccinated people are going to still definitely catch Covid. And at 15% hospitalization and 4% CFR, that means that one out of every 133 vaccinated people will be hospitalized by Covid, and one out of every 500 vaccinated people will die of Covid! Sorry, that's just how numbers and probability work.

Also, if you flip a coin twice, it will come up heads once and tails once. I mean, this is all just really simple math.

(Please follow me on social media to learn all about my foolproof strategies for beating the house odds in Vegas. I am very good with numbers.)

sad question
May 30, 2020

What happens when you roll a critical hit?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

Detheros posted:

Mask mandates are banned in Iowa, thanks Kim!

:suicide:

can't conscientious business owners just refuse service without giving a reason? hell, can't they even say it's cause their maskless customer is gay?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
National Health England has just upgraded AZ to 85-90% effective against symptomatic disease after 2 doses, the real world weekly surveillance report puts it at 89% effective compared to unvaccinated people.

The Pfizer real world suggests 90% effective compared to unvaccinated people after 2 doses.

https://www.reuters.com/business/he...ive-2021-05-20/

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if AstraZeneca’s incompetence at running trials made their product look worse than it actually is

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh it did but it wasn’t AZ’s fault, it was people thinking they were scientists and only reading the bits of the study they understood. The press globally are responsible for a hell of a lot of excess deaths with people holding out after being offered AZ.

Put simply AZ did all the trials right at the peak of the first wave, because that’s how time works, the Modena and Pfizer were done during dips. Therefore the AZ was always going to look worse than the others.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!
Some of my fave Covid lol memories in no particular order of happening:

-Already posted but Herman Cain.

-Joe Rogan finally going full mask-off chudlord and gathering all 80's movie villian looking mo-fos in his Texas prepper shelter.

-Gal Gadot Imagine (probably the top lol/second-hand embarrassment/rage inducing one)

-Indirectly but people having too much time and stimmy checks/savings causing a pulse pounding GME action in Jan-Feb, what a rollercoaster that was.

Pastamania
Mar 5, 2012

You cannot know.
The things I've seen.
The things I've done.
The things he made me do.
The bit where everyone started listening to sea shanty's sure was a moment.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pastamania posted:

You mean marine‐themed folk songs.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pastamania posted:

What started that, anyway?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Ugly In The Morning posted:

What started that, anyway?

TikTok, which has become the origin of all musical trends now.

Also, just got an email about the baseball game I'm going to on Saturday...

quote:

In response to the Mayor's announcement Monday regarding mask requirements in the District of Columbia, we will be changing our face covering policy starting with the upcoming homestand.

Ticketed fans who are not fully vaccinated will be required to wear an approved face covering at all times, except when actively eating or drinking in their seats. Fully vaccinated fans - meaning fans two weeks past their final shot - will be able to attend the upcoming games without wearing an approved face covering. This applies to all fans regardless of whether they are seated indoors or outdoors. Fans can visit https://www.nationals.com/welcomehome for information regarding acceptable face coverings at the ballpark.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
I've been fully vaccinated since the 4th and have yet to go maskless. it's weird how naked the thought of going out without one makes me feel. also there are still a lot of unvaxxed people and I want to keep up mask awareness because until a lot more people get their pokes its still a ways to go until corona is behind us

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

This is beautiful. I really hope it continues.

EimiYoshikawa posted:

I'm sorry. I found out my cat was in stage Almost Holy gently caress kidney disease when I brought them in for a broken tooth to the local animal hospital back in february, standing outside in -15 temps because no people were allowed inside, which seems like it was the better situation.

I hope for the best, for you and your dog.

She was perking up a bit at 10 last night. No contact since then. They're thinking it might be lepto or lyme disease since it's so sudden. I hope your kitty was okay.

gohuskies posted:

Most of the doomposters in this thread believe this as well.

I am 100% sure I'm considered a "doomposter" so: as community transmission falls, the more okay I am with people doing stuff. I have a Walt Disney World trip planned in late September (if cases don't go nuts/vaccines are hosed). I spent all loving day yesterday in an emergency vet among a bunch of unmasked people. It sucked because it was in South Carolina and statistically there's no way all those people were vaccinated. But I also have a hell cough from being in a mask for hours and hours. I have respiratory issues and even I went out to my van a couple of times for a mask break.

Cases climbed a little bit yesterday but not really significantly. I don't like testing sites shutting down when we still have 30k cases in a single day and I really dislike that "low viral load" vaccinated people who do get sick aren't being tracked because that's important to me. We (hopefully) are in late-stage pandemic stuff, but we shouldn't be rolling back testing or tracking this early.

Revins posted:

I've been fully vaccinated since the 4th and have yet to go maskless. it's weird how naked the thought of going out without one makes me feel. also there are still a lot of unvaxxed people and I want to keep up mask awareness because until a lot more people get their pokes its still a ways to go until corona is behind us

Yep. This. Same day and everything, I think. There's still way too much community transmission and some vaccinated people do get sick. I don't want to be one of the rare cases, especially with my 13 year old dane stumping around and now the 11 year old retired herd dog getting so sick. I need to be here for the farm. I need to be here to do funerals. My health is garbage and my doctor has basically treated covid like a death certificate for me if I get it. I'm still heeding those cautions regardless of what the CDC says until poo poo is better.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

How cruel can one be to book multiple appointments for what purpose? One cannot know. To also post this on social media is particularly arrogant.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
After the thread found out what you do exactly one person thinks of you as a doomposter Fluffy Bunnies :) everyone else completely understands that your pandemic has been on a whole different level to all of ours and yeh, you of all people get to vent post.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

learnincurve posted:

After the thread found out what you do exactly one person thinks of you as a doomposter Fluffy Bunnies :) everyone else completely understands that your pandemic has been on a whole different level to all of ours and yeh, you of all people get to vent post.

no.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town appears.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

learnincurve posted:

The Phantom Raspberry Blower of Old London Town appears.

i like that you think you get to decide what gets posted here

no one's experience of covid is any more valid than anyone else's. this thread isn't a livejournal

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Castaign posted:

I mean, as all smart people know, 95% efficacy means that even if you're fully vaxxed, it's still like rolling a 20 sided die every time you go out. And that means that even once you're vaccinated, after 10 visits to the grocery store you have a 50% chance of catching the Covids. At 20 visits, that chance rises to 100%.

So it's obvious that one out of 20 vaccinated people are going to still definitely catch Covid. And at 15% hospitalization and 4% CFR, that means that one out of every 133 vaccinated people will be hospitalized by Covid, and one out of every 500 vaccinated people will die of Covid! Sorry, that's just how numbers and probability work.

Also, if you flip a coin twice, it will come up heads once and tails once. I mean, this is all just really simple math.

(Please follow me on social media to learn all about my foolproof strategies for beating the house odds in Vegas. I am very good with numbers.)

All of this sarcasm plus, you know, the fact that as more and more people actually get vaccinated and the odds are recalculated the percentage might actually go up to like 99.8% or whatever. Could also go down but :shrug:

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea

boar guy posted:

i like that you think you get to decide what gets posted here

no one's experience of covid is any more valid than anyone else's. this thread isn't a livejournal

maybe just ignore their posts then instead of whining about another person venting?? just a thought

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Revins posted:

maybe just ignore their posts then instead of whining about another person venting?? just a thought

oh see i was responding to the backseat mod, who the actual mods very much disagree with, not the person that asked me not to respond to them

r->c->p

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Revins posted:

no.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
This might come across as doomposting, but it's a serious question.
With much of the US going maskless, and variants mutating in parts of the world that lessen the efficacy of vaxxes, aren't we moving into a new normal where covid is just accepted a part of everyday life, and the vaccines (which will most likely require boosters every 6-12 months) basically lower the chances of having severe symptoms/dying, keeping the hospitals from being overwhelmed? I know there's a lot of other factors involved, but if the hospitals aren't being overwhelmed, why would anyone in Gov't/general pop care about it as long as the economy has number go up, and they could still enjoy the amazing appetizers at Applebees?
There will be a pocket of people like me that continue to wear masks, and take things way more seriously, but generally once people get back to "normal", why would they give that up if the threat is low that they will have severe symptoms/die from it?
My hope is that the group that continues to mask/not go out everyday/night is large enough that it still impacts the economy, but I'm worried it will get smaller as things progress.

Please poke holes in my assumptions, as I don't want them to happen, as they are making my already fragile mental state worse.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

With much of the US going maskless, and variants mutating in parts of the world that lessen the efficacy of vaxxes, aren't we moving into a new normal where covid is just accepted a part of everyday life, and the vaccines (which will most likely require boosters every 6-12 months) basically lower the chances of having severe symptoms/dying, keeping the hospitals from being overwhelmed?

i think we were always moving towards it being another type of 'seasonal flu shot' type thing. and it ain't gonna be the last, either. i hope someone that gets paid a lot more than i do is working on what to do the next time this inevitably happens

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Kragger99 posted:

With much of the US going maskless, and variants mutating in parts of the world that lessen the efficacy of vaxxes, aren't we moving into a new normal where covid is just accepted a part of everyday life, and the vaccines (which will most likely require boosters every 6-12 months) basically lower the chances of having severe symptoms/dying, keeping the hospitals from being overwhelmed? I know there's a lot of other factors involved, but if the hospitals aren't being overwhelmed, why would anyone in Gov't/general pop care about it as long as the economy has number go up, and they could still enjoy the amazing appetizers at Applebees?
There will be a pocket of people like me that continue to wear masks, and take things way more seriously, but generally once people get back to "normal", why would they give that up if the threat is low that they will have severe symptoms/die from it?
My hope is that the group that continues to mask/not go out everyday/night is large enough that it still impacts the economy, but I'm worried it will get smaller as things progress.

Please poke holes in my assumptions, as I don't want them to happen, as they are making my already fragile mental state worse.

Sort of yes, sort of no.

People are already moving back towards 2019 normal at an incredibly rapid rate. In the next month or two, it'll be like covid doesn't exist for the majority. And that's regardless what the numbers do. We aren't going to go back because people feel entitled to their Applebees appetizers and they already did everything they were advised to do.

Society is largely throwing in the towel on trying to stop this poo poo and are just shrugging because "well if it won't go away when I'm tired of it, whatever, we'll just deal with it".

It remains to be seen what happens with cases and vaccines and everything else. We are entirely in uncharted territory because this is a new disease, still, and we're still learning a lot about it; especially as variants pop up.

The thing is, we're gonna have to learn to deal with the maskless and the people who are "tired". Quarantine fatigue is certainly a real thing and the vast majority of the public no longer care. So those of us who do are just going to have to keep doing what we were doing this whole time. And that's okay.

Essentially: you might see a lot of people doing things that you wouldn't personally, and the best thing to do is try to avoid them. It might spike cases. It might not. It's okay to be nervous about the unknown, but we have decent data and models that suggest you can have your appetizer, too. Eventually.

You're gonna be okay. We all are. Just continue to be careful and sparse while we see how this thing plays out :love:

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Maskless

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i revel in the lovely looks The Maskless give me in stores

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

The lovely part is the Venn diagram of people too weak to wear masks in a store for 10 mins while you shop and the people refusing to get the vaccine is pretty much a circle.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Kragger99 posted:

Experts have been warning for a while now that herd immunity isn't attainable in the US and even Dr Fauci has moved away from using that term
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/03/health/covid-herd-immunity-vaccine.html

Yearly booster shots are also pretty much inevitable now
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/may/19/fauci-us-americans-covid-vaccine-boosters

Also most of the rest of the globe is WAY behind on vaccination rollouts so there's going to be continuous outbreaks occurring all over the world and the US just doesn't have the political will to close borders or run effective quarantines so there's always going to be a steady amount of infected people entering the country for the foreseeable future.

Get vaxxed as soon as you can, make sure your family gets vaxxed as soon as they can, then figure out where your comfort level lies in terms of interacting with people outside your home. Of course if you work in a service industry that's pretty much out of your hands anyway

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Don't look at the replies, don't look at the replies...

https://twitter.com/RealTanMan1980/status/1395537548739375105

:ughh:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did he just seriously call a reference to an old two Ronnies sketch about blowing raspberries at Queen Victoria backseat modding?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Fallom posted:

The Maskless

this is the title of my new novel, a story about freedom and American spirit pursuing the truth. :911:

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Don't look at the replies, don't look at the replies...

https://twitter.com/RealTanMan1980/status/1395537548739375105

:ughh:

okay legitimate question: do people not remember that masks in hospitals were the norm before this for those who were in the ICU and stuff? I honestly think it's a good idea for it to be more widespread long-term in hospitals regardless of covid. Colds and flus kill sensitive patients and it seems like it'd be a great way to prevent that spread, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

okay legitimate question: do people not remember that masks in hospitals were the norm before this for those who were in the ICU and stuff? I honestly think it's a good idea for it to be more widespread long-term in hospitals regardless of covid. Colds and flus kill sensitive patients and it seems like it'd be a great way to prevent that spread, too.

Contact isolation was very much the exception in hospitals and not the norm, at least in the ER and on floors. Even when I went in the ICU to pick someone up or drop someone off I rarely saw it.