Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think chars arc makes a lot of sense if you consider what the guys reaction to the events of ZZ woulda been. The federation once again totally fails the people of the setting I'm sure at that point he realized if he wanted things to change he needed to do something drastic. Finally settling the score with amuro probably helped a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Gaius Marius posted:

Started watching Wing again

The music in the opening is weird as hell.
mods please ban this sick filth for Two-Mix slander

Gaius Marius posted:

The BGM's are awful in this show

I appreciate Wing setting out to have a diffrent opening.

Gaius Marius posted:

The origin ova's are unwatchable because of the cgi

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 00:39 on May 21, 2021

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I don't really get the villain of the week issue as that's kind of a part of any 50 episode gundam series. You can't have him chasing off the same villain every episode (see Gundam X) it gets really tiresome and boring for the story when you never get the payoff to a fight. People float through for Kamille to clown regularly enough that them getting yet another new suit because he's way better than them is just part of their frustration with the tiny crew of the Argama as a good parallel to how irritating the white base was in the OYW.

Gin_rummy i think that if you can get to the arrival of the Zeta Gundam after that the show does a lot less random space battle of the week stuff, so if you can get to that point I suspect you'll like where it goes.

I think more than anything else, this is probably just telling me to stay away from non-OVA Gundam stories. I've gotten very far in Zeta (last thing I remember was Rosamia being around and a bomb hidden in a colony) and still haven't warmed up to it because the villain of the week thing still feels incredibly prevalent. Also Jerid seems like a really bad choice for "nemesis." That being said, I did find it hilarious when Kamille was all "Katz is ok!" and then Katz nearly got blown up.

Perhaps the 50-episode length of Wing must have worked better for me because there wasn't ever really a moustache-twirling villain who escapes by the skin of his teeth just to fight again in the next episode.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

I think more than anything else, this is probably just telling me to stay away from non-OVA Gundam stories. I've gotten very far in Zeta (last thing I remember was Rosamia being around and a bomb hidden in a colony) and still haven't warmed up to it because the villain of the week thing still feels incredibly prevalent. Also Jerid seems like a really bad choice for "nemesis." That being said, I did find it hilarious when Kamille was all "Katz is ok!" and then Katz nearly got blown up.

Perhaps the 50-episode length of Wing must have worked better for me because there wasn't ever really a moustache-twirling villain who escapes by the skin of his teeth just to fight again in the next episode.

Have you seen Iron Blooded Orphans?

It's the best AU Gundam, and it paces out the fights and the antagonists in a way that might be more appealing to you.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Have you seen Iron Blooded Orphans?

It's the best AU Gundam, and it paces out the fights and the antagonists in a way that might be more appealing to you.

I actually had someone else recommend IBO recently as well. It's all pretty accessible via Netflix, so it might be worth a shot.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Jerid isn't a "good" nemesis so much as a "really funny" nemesis

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 21, 2021

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ninjewtsu posted:

Jerid isn't a "good" nemesis so much as a "really funny" nemesis

Hes the kind of guy who suffers horribly, and you laugh every time he gets injured because it's just comical by the end.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

His suicide run at the Argama after Mouar bites it, only for him to chicken out and accomplish nothing is the funniest poo poo

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i love jerid's conga line of dead girlfriends with exotic hair colors, all of whom almost convinced him to be a better person before dying, but ultimately just further entrenched jerid in being a piece of poo poo because they couldn't survive that extra 1 day it would've taken to get him over the hump

it's hilariously tragic

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

The reveal to Cagali that Kira is actually her brother after they have had some uh weird scenes gets me everytime. It's unintentionally one of the funniest dumb things in SEED to me.

Also 4th Seed op is my fave by far for the series. Invoke is good too but idk, Realize just edges it out for me.

It's honestly on a lower tier than Luke and Leia or Bellri and Aida.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I actually really like mouar. She had her head on straight, didn't fall for sciroccos bullshit, and piloted a gabthely. Top tier lady

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gin_Rummy posted:

I actually had someone else recommend IBO recently as well. It's all pretty accessible via Netflix, so it might be worth a shot.

It's got an incredibly strong first episode, if you decide to poke at it, so you should be able to find out if it's your thing without too much time invested if it's not.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Jerid thinks he's a Char clone, unfortunately he's closer to Garma.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Nah, Garma could keep a girlfriend.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

ninjewtsu posted:

i love jerid's conga line of dead girlfriends with exotic hair colors, all of whom almost convinced him to be a better person before dying, but ultimately just further entrenched jerid in being a piece of poo poo because they couldn't survive that extra 1 day it would've taken to get him over the hump

it's hilariously tragic

If we ever get Zeta Gundam in SRW that isn't a post series inclusion again it would be hilarious to have all of those girlfriends survive for maximum awkwardness

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can live that dream in Gundam Vs Zeta Gundam. Jerid's ending has them stomping all over the ruins of the AEUG and Neo Zeon in Psycho Gundams it's boss

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

If we ever get Zeta Gundam in SRW that isn't a post series inclusion again it would be hilarious to have all of those girlfriends survive for maximum awkwardness

Jerid featuring in a harem anime would be weird as hell.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm sure someone has made a show about a harem of dead girlfriends.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Midjack posted:

Jerid featuring in a harem anime would be weird as hell.

We'd also have all of Kamille's dead girlfriends survive too and they end up accidentally bonding over the harem anime shenanigans they're both stuck in

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's honestly on a lower tier than Luke and Leia or Bellri and Aida.

Luke and Leia at least have the excuse of it not being a planned thing. It's just that with plans going from "we'll continue the franchise for the foreseeable future" to "RoTJ is the last movie we're making for the foreseeable future," "There is another" suddenly had to be a character the movie series already rather than someone introduced at a later time. And Leia was the only one who really worked.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Arcsquad12 posted:

check out "Zombie Land Saga"

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i want to see the alternate universe jerids where each one had a different girlfriend survive to get him to be less of a piece of poo poo. what does that jerid look like? how does each girlfriend affect him differently in a long term relationship? are any of these alternate jerids actually a good person or just, like, not completely terrible?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

*thinks about the last fight in zeta gundam*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's the gundam series with the bikini rocket soldiers that die immediately?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Finished my rewatch of Zeta, still holds up fairly well but the final battles could have used a touch more build up, especially with three different factions taking part. Also the breadth of beautiful Canadian accents made me deeply homesick.

One thing that is funny is how Quattro never called anything more than a lieutenant for the entire show and despite being pressed repeatedly to take over is first referred to as AEUG's leader in the ZZ recap.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
My problem with Zeta is that, at least to me, none of the big events seem to have any gravitas. Important stuff happens like Axis ramming the Gate of Zedan, AEUGs attack on the colony laser, any of the times the colony laser fires, heck even the first time the Zeta itself shows up. They just happen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Victory, in one episode.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Victory, though the more relevant comparison from Victory is probably the Shrike Team(a squad of mobile suit pilots composed entirely of attractive women whose principal role in the story is to die helping/protecting Uso).

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Victory is just a plain mean show. It's mean to every character out of spite and treats women like garbage. It's umm sure something, you can feel the studio loving with the production (the order of the opening episodes say it all) which just seems to have made Tomino want to be angry about it and take it out on the characters/plot that gets wacky insaner than it already was out of nowhere in the final stretch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the bikini squad in victory gets misrepresented a lot. it was intentionally strange and pointless because katejina was desperate and deranged by that point. she had no real ideas or resources left, so out came the bikini squad. late victory uso was terrifying!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

favorite Shrike moment is definitely near the end where they've killed almost all of them and back off doing that to leave one around who does insane poo poo like stand out in the open on a shield they're sending to Uso

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

One of the recurring themes of the show is that women throwing their lives away in war is inherently even more tragic than men doing so, because women are the creators of new life. Almost all of Victory's "weird about women" stuff stems from this thesis statement; two of the final villains are women who have turned their back on everything and become murderous psycho killers, one of whom is only ultimately defeated by being overwhelmed by a pregnant woman fighting against her. The Shrike Team is effectively a parade of mother figures for Uso, and them being a group of young women is supposed to evoke feelings of "what a waste!" when they die in combat.

It's not really purely out of spite, it's that Tomino is a weird guy who gets on a weird hobby horse about whatever pet issue he's got in his head when he's making a show, and he'll ride that hobby horse into a groove in the Earth. Victory probably ended up darker than he intended it to be due to the turmoil in his personal life at the time and Sunrise making production demands he didn't like, but I strongly doubt that the overall themes would change if he was in a happier place and the studio was more hands off.

That said, I still think Victory is better than most of the OVAs if you can get over how weird and dark it can be. It's a master class in combat choreography, has a banging soundtrack, Uso is a great main character, and it has great designs. The plot is weird but mostly coherent. It also has one of the best scenes in the franchise in the Reinforce's final charge, IMO.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 21, 2021

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

ManSedan posted:

My problem with Zeta is that, at least to me, none of the big events seem to have any gravitas. Important stuff happens like Axis ramming the Gate of Zedan, AEUGs attack on the colony laser, any of the times the colony laser fires, heck even the first time the Zeta itself shows up. They just happen.

I agree with this too.

Also is the AEUG literally only comprised of these two ships the story primarily follows? Something about the scale here feels really strange.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The AEUG has other ships per supplementary material and they have Karaba as an ally along with whatever private forces Anaheim supplies them with. Trouble is that the show only follows the two main ships but without the "giant intrasolar war" background 0079 put on it lacks wider context.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kamille defeats the titans by killing 1-3 mooks in each of the many mostly pointless space battles.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Victory is just a plain mean show. It's mean to every character out of spite and treats women like garbage. It's umm sure something, you can feel the studio loving with the production (the order of the opening episodes say it all) which just seems to have made Tomino want to be angry about it and take it out on the characters/plot that gets wacky insaner than it already was out of nowhere in the final stretch.

That twitter thread about the turn a book mentions that the book goes a bit into victory gundam too. Specifically, tomino got pretty fed up with the executives and would do stuff like propose the dumbest, most ill fitting poo poo for the show he could think of to try to spite them.

To his surprise and frustration, they rubber stamped his "land based battleship" idea and that's why the giant motorcycle carrier is a thing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

And you know what, it loving works.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

That twitter thread about the turn a book mentions that the book goes a bit into victory gundam too. Specifically, tomino got pretty fed up with the executives and would do stuff like propose the dumbest, most ill fitting poo poo for the show he could think of to try to spite them.

To his surprise and frustration, they rubber stamped his "land based battleship" idea and that's why the giant motorcycle carrier is a thing
Man Tomino is real dumb if he thinks that's the kind of a thing that would bother an executive.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

The AEUG has other ships per supplementary material and they have Karaba as an ally along with whatever private forces Anaheim supplies them with. Trouble is that the show only follows the two main ships but without the "giant intrasolar war" background 0079 put on it lacks wider context.

Yeah, the AEUG has other regular forces and Karaba might as well be "Land AEUG".

That said, the Gryps Conflict is specifically a much smaller scale conflict than the total mobilization of the OYW. The AEUG and the Titans are mostly battling it out on a small-ish scale for political legitimacy because the idea is that whoever convinces the greater Federation government that they're in the right will have sufficient resources to easily defeat the other side. It only starts truly spreading to something much worse when the AEUG wins that political legitimacy(thanks, Jerid!) and the Titans panic and go to plan B(superweapons!) and then Axis shows up and throws a giant wrench into everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
motorcycle carriers are no more or less silly than white base being able to fly in the atmosphere. it's all very ridiculous but without that contrivance the earth segments of most gundam shows couldn't take place.