Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This is deleted, what was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Comrade Fakename posted:

This is deleted, what was it?

Something to do with Gnasher Jew having created the doctored image of Corbyn reading bear hunt in the first place.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Micheal Rosen saying the protocols of zion photoshop was done by the gnasherjew account. Which I gather they have now issued legal threats over.

Nutapii
Jun 24, 2020
Apropos of the dancing round names in this thread, what would happen if someone resident in x non-UK country set up a website with the details of all the ABC v XYZ superinjunctions/other libel risks? I'm assuming there's a reason it's not been done before that is greater than overcaution/fear of Judge Eady appearing on his Lawmaster.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assumed it was because nobody actually cares outside the UK.

Like conceivably yes you could probably put that information up but the point of the law is to ensure there is no major propagation of the information in the UK because the UK's media ecosystem won't touch it. As always while all information is technically available people just go with the things they are most readily exposed to 90% of the time.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 21, 2021

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

It's not as if it would be the first time the name of someone who had some sort of reporting injunction in the UK was named abroad. When it involved more well known showbiz figures you had the UK tabloids grousing about it but holding the line while the names were pretty widely bandied about by the foreign press.

You also the same kind of stuff happening with George Pell and the Australian vs foreign press.

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Do BtB crib directly from truanon or does it just look like it?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nutapii posted:

Apropos of the dancing round names in this thread, what would happen if someone resident in x non-UK country set up a website with the details of all the ABC v XYZ superinjunctions/other libel risks? I'm assuming there's a reason it's not been done before that is greater than overcaution/fear of Judge Eady appearing on his Lawmaster.

Repeating libel - *probably* okay in the US (although I think it might be state-dependent) as they generally will not enforce English judgements because of past abuses, definitely variable around the rest of the world. All of this is also dependent on you never wanting to visit these septic isles.

Breaking superinjunctions - very much less okay. Despite what people say they're much less common than you think (IIRC it's only been a few dozen or so, ever, and there haven't been any for a while) and they (theoretically) can be enforced worldwide, although obviously this will vary massively by country. However inevitably superinjunctions come with a massive public-interest get-out clause and I don't think they've ever actually been properly enforced.

Privacy orders, which are an order of magnitude less serious legally but also as a result are much more enforceable (because they tend not to be granted where the original respondent has a robust public interest defence) are even more likely to be enforceable because most countries will have some sort of privacy law in place. A lot of the time - e.g. the PJS case - that people talk about a superinjunction they're actually talking about a privacy order, which is similar in concept but legally quite different.

None of this really matters though unless you have deep pockets or are close friends with a lawyer with a lot of spare time and a passion for freedom of the press, because even a completely unenforceable order could tie you up in court for months.

Note that I am about as much not a lawyer as it's possible to get and this is pieced together mostly from Private Eye and could be 100% wrong.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
If I made a website that listed every possible combination of X vs. Y would I get done for breaking a few superinjunctions

This question brought to you by the smug emoji.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Repeating libel - *probably* okay in the US (although I think it might be state-dependent) as they generally will not enforce English judgements because of past abuses, definitely variable around the rest of the world. All of this is also dependent on you never wanting to visit these septic isles.
I haven't looked at it since undergrad but jurisdiction shopping is a whole big thing in defamation, and iirc* the US courts are a bit more trigger-happy on it than ours our. We've got all sorts of controls to make sure that we're the most appropriate jurisdiction to sue in (which I think mostly depends on where most of the harm was done - so, for example, if I said that Guy Fieri kills & eats babies, which he does, then he wouldn't be able to sue me in the British courts because nobody in the UK has heard of him - but there's other poo poo too). I think the only major control on jurisdiction shopping that the US has is the double actionability rule, so if you went over to the US & defamed someone in the UK they could just instruct an American lawyer & sue you over there. Not recommended.**

*that is a big "if", if it wasn't clear, honestly I don't know what I'm talking about, treat this post as if written by some random who got a law degree a decade back
**fao Guy Fieri's lawyers, this was a clever satire & nothing more

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Borrovan posted:

I haven't looked at it since undergrad but jurisdiction shopping is a whole big thing in defamation, and iirc* the US courts are a bit more trigger-happy on it than ours our. We've got all sorts of controls to make sure that we're the most appropriate jurisdiction to sue in (which I think mostly depends on where most of the harm was done - so, for example, if I said that Guy Fieri kills & eats babies, which he does, then he wouldn't be able to sue me in the British courts because nobody in the UK has heard of him - but there's other poo poo too). I think the only major control on jurisdiction shopping that the US has is the double actionability rule, so if you went over to the US & defamed someone in the UK they could just instruct an American lawyer & sue you over there. Not recommended.**

*that is a big "if", if it wasn't clear, honestly I don't know what I'm talking about, treat this post as if written by some random who got a law degree a decade back
**fao Guy Fieri's lawyers, this was a clever satire & nothing more

I thought the situation was almost exactly opposite this? There's definitely multiple cases of Russians suing other Russians in the English courts over stories on Russian-language websites that might have had a couple of hits in the UK.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Yeah the Defamation Act fixed that (or was intended to, it was just a Bill when I learned about it)

e: yeah here it is, explanatory notes to the Defamation Act

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 21, 2021

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Totally fine with them constantly making sets full of weapons, cops, etc, but RAINBOWS are the loss of innocence. OK.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Accually lego are more likely to Cancel Culture stuff like that, they decided not to release a crooks hideout set recently. Maybe out of restepc for Are Brave Boys in Blue?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Marmaduke! posted:

Accually lego are more likely to Cancel Culture stuff like that, they decided not to release a crooks hideout set recently.
That's okay, the Wilko knockoff did one instead. (Source: me, helping my son build it.)

The one that horrified me was Playmobil, which I remember from my childhood as having knights, cowboys, medics, Robin Hood and the like, and which now has a City Action set featuring an armed riot squad.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Payndz posted:

The one that horrified me was Playmobil, which I remember from my childhood as having knights, cowboys, medics, Robin Hood and the like, and which now has a City Action set featuring an armed riot squad.
jfc

I had a zoo, with little animals & stuff

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/vietdongsoldier/status/1395653639201566721

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
This is such transparent bullshit. "We need to reform the BBC because of events that took place 26 years ago"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/21/government-bbc-diana-report-martin-bashir-panorama-interview-inquiry

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

therattle posted:

This is such transparent bullshit. "We need to reform the BBC because of events that took place 26 years ago"

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/may/21/government-bbc-diana-report-martin-bashir-panorama-interview-inquiry

The fact that it's so transparently an invented excuse is pissing me off the most. At this point why does the Government even bother creating such a flimsy pretext?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Borrovan posted:

jfc

iiiiuuuuiiiii iiiiuuuuiiii dassa sounda da polizei :cop:

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This whole Diana thing is really telling about who holds the power in the UK establishment. All the papers are crowing about this because they hate the BBC and want to see it destroyed, but also to deflect in their own massive culpability in the death of Diana. The Royals come out hard against the BBC because while they hate the entire press, they know that if the tabloids really turned against the monarchy they could bring it down in a matter of months. But the BBC are successfully cowed, so can be blamed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean the BBC is institutionally dogshit so I'm not really sad about what happens to it.

Like Orgreave, Saville, Corbyn, at what point is it not just a self evident noncing pile of tories all the way through?

I don't feel anything more about it than I would if the government started picking fights with the telegraph.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 12:03 on May 21, 2021

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I just feel that it's weird seeing all the press shouting on about this dumb interview that took place like, 25 years ago, who loving cares these days lol.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

"Bit spicy" indeed

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pistol_Pete posted:

I just feel that it's weird seeing all the press shouting on about this dumb interview that took place like, 25 years ago, who loving cares these days lol.

I mean, the people old enough to read newspapers probably remember it like it was yesterday.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gruffalo Soldier posted:

Behind the Bastards did a recent two parter on the Protocols, covering their genesis (plagarising plagarism), their usage by the Nazis, and their legacy. It's a good listen.
This is interesting, thanks. I listened to some of their podcasts when it came up itt about Bill Cooper's show. They attach different debunkings to different writers in a different order in the first part to what I recall from the takedowns I read, but I agree with the wider point.

loving :stonklol: about the Friar claiming the conspiracy has a periodical called 'Masonic Jew Magazine' and quoting from it. Very real publications. And of course various Jesuits were as heavily involved in Lat Am as the Russian secret police were in France. When all you've got is a secret society then everything else looks like secret societies.

And double of course that it was mostly middle class conservatives who were most active in spreading it everywhere by trying to 'decipher' and 'unveil' it. Find out the true meaning of these 5 bits of unconnected plagiarized nonsense and feel smart and relevant when you're actually just running a racism powered orbital sander against your frontal lobe!

There is definitely a certain 'conspiratorial style' in a bunch of other works that is strongly reminiscent of the disordered gish galloping "throw everything out in the order you think of it without citation or building an argument, more unfalsifiable nonsense equals more winning" that you see in everything from the John Birch Society to Alex Jones to Nigel Farage, but I'm not sure how much of that is direct Protocols influence and how much is a symptom of the minds that produce and accept those things. JK Rowling's essay has the exact same patter and cadence as a thousand early 90s conspiracy rants but I'm not sure that's evidence of a Usenet/Mumsnet nexus so much as them all having the same brainwrong that looks for an Enemy. Like Eco says, you start off believing that every social change is a Threat and then you go looking for confirmation.

Azza Bamboo posted:

Pericles just wanted to build cool poo poo, and proto-realpolitik kicked his sandcastle.
The world needs more columns.

Borrovan posted:

jfc

'city action' :hmmyes:

TheRat posted:

"Bit spicy" indeed
Nipping out for a cheeky antisemitic libel with the lads.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean, the people old enough to read newspapers probably remember it like it was yesterday.
Yeah it's definitely a sop to the Express, who wish Are Angle was still alive so they could run smear pieces.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/arwaib/status/1395696980823875585

Not sure this is the best way to uphold a ceasefire, but what do I know

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Murdoch's sapient belly demands BBCs market share. No advert free broadcast, no advert free website, all will be consumed by Sky.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

An unappealing meaty slab that isn’t as good as you’d hoped and is forever rotating around the centre?

(D)electable.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Pistol_Pete posted:

I'm seeing this as part of the bigging up Wills thing (while dissing on Harry & Meghan).
In the past few weeks there have been quite a lot of pro-Wills articles in various media.

I imagine it's because post-Brenda, there will be Charlie Boy for a couple of years then basically straight to Wills as the Man in the Mace.
Or, maybe Charlie Boy was more physically affected by his encounter with the covids last year than has been let on so maybe it will be Brenda -> instant, faster than light transmission (TM - T Pratchett) -> Wills?

Plus, of course, the Tories wanting to make the BBC which is currently Tory Mouthpiece Central even more Tory.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TheRat posted:

"Bit spicy" indeed

Is this a joke account?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

(D)electable.

Thread title please

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

Is this a joke account?

No!

See thread here:

https://twitter.com/danwaterfield/status/1395413046714159106

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Thread title please

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Just a joke of a person then

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Azza Bamboo posted:

Murdoch's sapient belly demands BBCs market share. No advert free broadcast, no advert free website, all will be consumed by Sky.

To be fair he doesn't own Sky any more. All will be consumed by Times Radio.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Comrade Fakename posted:

To be fair he doesn't own Sky any more. All will be consumed by Times Radio.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Making the BBC into a biased right-wing hole so that the left won't complain when it's destroyed is quite a coup for the tories

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Unpopular opinion but I think the left is going to seriously miss the BBC. Its like the one prison guard that isn't 100% on board with the beatings the others are dishing out but doesn't speak up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

jiggerypokery posted:

Unpopular opinion but I think the left is going to seriously miss the BBC. Its like the one prison guard that isn't 100% on board with the beatings the others are dishing out but doesn't speak up

Confusing opinion lol