Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

It's fun to go around cosplaying as the Silver Shroud in Fallout 4. There's even some extra dialogue options and the Sole Survivor will even say it in a dramatic voice while everyone else is :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Son of Rodney posted:

I'm really not into puzzle games but outer wilds pulled me in hard, it was really just excellent. I loved the spaceship and space mechanic, everything is absolutely tiny compared to you, which made flying around the solar system both quick and fun while still allowing entire planets to work as game mechanics or settings. Very cool.
I finally played OW recently. I was a little disappointed in some of it, it wasn't quite as amazing as a lot of people made out, but still a fantastic game and achievement for a small team. The ending path in particular felt pretty simple and only really needed a few things/steps, which made a lot of the info and mysteries feel kind of pointless. All the quantum mechanics/quantum moon stuff, the black/white holes you can play around with like in the high energy lab, there's so much you can discover and solve that ends up being... basically irrelevant?

I know it's not a game that's all about rushing to the goal, I dunno, I think I was hoping for a more testing/elaborate "solution" that pulled in every big discovery and puzzle, making all of the game's little clockwork parts come together for a final resolution. Other than a few bits of knowledge you can pick up so you have a better idea of where you're going on the journey, like "anglerfish are blind" which uh... I knew already because I know what anglerfish are, it was instead just kind of "go to A, get item, take item to B, insert codes you learned at C". In fairness I stumbled into A by complete accident early in my playthrough while trying not to get kidnapped by the sand tunnel, suppose that would otherwise have been a good "aha" moment!

I really enjoyed my time with it and the ending was great, I think for me it was just a slight victim of sky-high hype and expectations. I'd still recommend it to basically anyone.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Alhazred posted:

It's fun to go around cosplaying as the Silver Shroud in Fallout 4. There's even some extra dialogue options and the Sole Survivor will even say it in a dramatic voice while everyone else is :rolleyes:

In the Automatron DLC, you deal with the Mechanist from Fallout 3, and if you're dressed as the Silver Shroud you have special dialogue. It's great!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Silver Shroud stuff is one of the only positives of a voiced protagonist in 4 yeah :allears:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I finally played OW recently. I was a little disappointed in some of it, it wasn't quite as amazing as a lot of people made out, but still a fantastic game and achievement for a small team. The ending path in particular felt pretty simple and only really needed a few things/steps, which made a lot of the info and mysteries feel kind of pointless. All the quantum mechanics/quantum moon stuff, the black/white holes you can play around with like in the high energy lab, there's so much you can discover and solve that ends up being... basically irrelevant?

I know it's not a game that's all about rushing to the goal, I dunno, I think I was hoping for a more testing/elaborate "solution" that pulled in every big discovery and puzzle, making all of the game's little clockwork parts come together for a final resolution. Other than a few bits of knowledge you can pick up so you have a better idea of where you're going on the journey, like "anglerfish are blind" which uh... I knew already because I know what anglerfish are, it was instead just kind of "go to A, get item, take item to B, insert codes you learned at C". In fairness I stumbled into A by complete accident early in my playthrough while trying not to get kidnapped by the sand tunnel, suppose that would otherwise have been a good "aha" moment!

I really enjoyed my time with it and the ending was great, I think for me it was just a slight victim of sky-high hype and expectations. I'd still recommend it to basically anyone.

Yeah but it's not a game about, like, getting every piece of information you have into mega puzzle that you solve like a sudoku. It's a game about knowledge, specifically yours, the player. The only thing you 'need', and even this isn't even technically true, is the signal for the ship. Oh and I guess the battery, obviously. But everything else is just information, for you the player, to learn about the vessel, the warp core, and the coordinates of the eye. The quantum stuff may not be necessary to finding that but if you don't learn about quantum mechanics and how they function in the game, you never meet the Nomai which is cool as poo poo and, much like everything else in the game, a little bit existentially spooky. It's like going through a game-spanning quest in an RPG to find an epic weapon that's completely optional but cool as hell.

Anyway. Loved the game. Scared the poo poo out of me. But there's absolutely nothing else like it.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

bony tony posted:

In the Automatron DLC, you deal with the Mechanist from Fallout 3, and if you're dressed as the Silver Shroud you have special dialogue. It's great!

There is also some Shroud stuff in the Nuka Park DLC.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Yeah but it's not a game about, like, getting every piece of information you have into mega puzzle that you solve like a sudoku. It's a game about knowledge, specifically yours, the player. The only thing you 'need', and even this isn't even technically true, is the signal for the ship. Oh and I guess the battery, obviously. But everything else is just information, for you the player, to learn about the vessel, the warp core, and the coordinates of the eye. The quantum stuff may not be necessary to finding that but if you don't learn about quantum mechanics and how they function in the game, you never meet the Nomai which is cool as poo poo and, much like everything else in the game, a little bit existentially spooky. It's like going through a game-spanning quest in an RPG to find an epic weapon that's completely optional but cool as hell.

Anyway. Loved the game. Scared the poo poo out of me. But there's absolutely nothing else like it.

Nah, I totally get that. I think I was just hoping for the final solution (for uh lack of a better term) to make me feel like a genius by connecting all the dots in a great system-spanning puzzle route, but in all honesty I'm very stupid and if it had done that I probably never would have finished the game lol

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

oh gently caress yes, this will be a great reread, thank you!!

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
All your base are open my mind!

Outer Wilds is one of the best games I never finished.

I have a love/hate relationship with puzzle(ish) games but I always seem to run out of patience as they get trickier. I adored the vibe of The Witness for example... then ditched it. Same with The Talos Principle. Got turned around on a spacewalk in Observation and never went back.

Outer Wilds is just the latest casualty of my tiny attention span.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Nah, I totally get that. I think I was just hoping for the final solution (for uh lack of a better term) to make me feel like a genius by connecting all the dots in a great system-spanning puzzle route, but in all honesty I'm very stupid and if it had done that I probably never would have finished the game lol

Fair enough. I just liked piecing together the puzzle of, like, what was going on and why. And I will never forget that feeling when I walked onto the Sun station, reading the logs and realizing that there was no reason, no miracle cure for a sun exploding, that it was simply the end of its life and there was nothing anyone could do about it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That Riven puzzle people were talking about last page is the exactly one (1) time I've seen somebody pull off what you're asking for. Pretty much the entire game is built around it. It owns, but risks alienating players if you make it too hard.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I am a pedantic nerd and am thusly offended that people keep conflating puzzles together. Riven has two separate game-spanning puzzles to figure out, one with the domes and colors, and one with the animals and numbers. :argh:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Strom Cuzewon posted:

That Riven puzzle people were talking about last page is the exactly one (1) time I've seen somebody pull off what you're asking for. Pretty much the entire game is built around it. It owns, but risks alienating players if you make it too hard.

I remember we had The Official Riven Strategy Guide as a kid, and the walkthrough is presented as a first-person journaled account so rather than just be like "here are the clues and this is the solution" it actually had the narrator encountering each clue and puzzling it out the significance along the way.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

christmas boots posted:

I remember we had The Official Riven Strategy Guide as a kid, and the walkthrough is presented as a first-person journaled account so rather than just be like "here are the clues and this is the solution" it actually had the narrator encountering each clue and puzzling it out the significance along the way.

Oh man, that's insanely cool

Dang actually that's just something I miss in general. I miss those super deluxe strategy guides full of cool art for their respective games

Do they still make those for modern releases? I remember just enjoying flipping through them to see all the stuff in them even if I hadn't gotten there yet

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
So, little backstory here, I collect strategy guides. There was this amazing trend in the early and mid nineties of that kind of narrative guide, and I loved it. The Starship Titanic guide is like that, and I have X-Wing and Wing Commander guides like that, and the Quest For Clues series of guides is like that and they're just so much fun to page through even today. By comparison, most modern guides don't offer much you can't get from an IGN walkthrough, which is sad and probably one of the reasons guides in general seem to be being phased out.

My personal favorite is probably the Legend of Mana Ultimania guide, because it has original watercolors by the game's artist that are only printed in that guide just as like interstitial and side art. It's amazing.

The most recent one I can think of is the Cyberpunk 2077 guide, or at least the most recent I've picked up. It seems aggressively fine as far as guides go. It feels like there coulda been a ton more supplemental material in this guide, more worldbuilding and whatnot, but who knows? I'm probably the only real market for it, so I don't blame them too hard for not spending a ton of effort there.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Oh man, that's insanely cool

Dang actually that's just something I miss in general. I miss those super deluxe strategy guides full of cool art for their respective games

Do they still make those for modern releases? I remember just enjoying flipping through them to see all the stuff in them even if I hadn't gotten there yet

The MGSV collector's edition guide is a goddamn hardcover textbook, it's the insane epitome of those guides that you'd expect from the franchise, and it's beautiful.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

The MGSV collector's edition guide is a goddamn hardcover textbook, it's the insane epitome of those guides that you'd expect from the franchise, and it's beautiful.

Oh yeah, that one's good too. Much better than the MGS4 guide. No feelies, though, which sucks because The Witcher 3 HC had a little extra book of folk tales and poo poo.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

christmas boots posted:

I think the Quest for Glory collection guide was the same way

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Casnorf posted:

So, little backstory here, I collect strategy guides. There was this amazing trend in the early and mid nineties of that kind of narrative guide, and I loved it. The Starship Titanic guide is like that, and I have X-Wing and Wing Commander guides like that, and the Quest For Clues series of guides is like that and they're just so much fun to page through even today. By comparison, most modern guides don't offer much you can't get from an IGN walkthrough, which is sad and probably one of the reasons guides in general seem to be being phased out.

My personal favorite is probably the Legend of Mana Ultimania guide, because it has original watercolors by the game's artist that are only printed in that guide just as like interstitial and side art. It's amazing.

The most recent one I can think of is the Cyberpunk 2077 guide, or at least the most recent I've picked up. It seems aggressively fine as far as guides go. It feels like there coulda been a ton more supplemental material in this guide, more worldbuilding and whatnot, but who knows? I'm probably the only real market for it, so I don't blame them too hard for not spending a ton of effort there.

You reminded me that TIE Fighter had the narrative guide too. I loved that thing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Looks like the "Museum of the Computer Adventure Game History" has the pdf of it. The narrative guide starts on page 81. They used animals from the game as a legend to denote how much of a spoiler it is. This one is a "Sunner" chapter which means it basically walks you right up to the point of the solution, with the next level up just giving you the answer.

https://mocagh.org/loadpage.php?getgame=riven-hintbook

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One of the Starcraft 2 collector's editions does something similar with a hardcover book of all the various enemies and structures as a Terran Marine reference guide, and all throughout it are handwritten notes from a Marine with real salty comments about Command, the manual's in-universe author, and the other faction's units.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
The Zachtronics games TIS-100 and Shenzen I/O both have elaborate manuals recreating the computer manuals of their respective time periods. Of course, in their cases it's pretty much necessary as the first puzzle is "puzzle out how to use this programming language" and the first instruction is "RTFM".

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

biosterous posted:

oh gently caress yes, this will be a great reread, thank you!!

:tipshat:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

i love your av

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One of the Starcraft 2 collector's editions does something similar with a hardcover book of all the various enemies and structures as a Terran Marine reference guide, and all throughout it are handwritten notes from a Marine with real salty comments about Command, the manual's in-universe author, and the other faction's units.

Mechwarrior 4 also did something along those lines - the actual manual has "handwritten" notes from the main character and their father, commenting on various equipment, strategies, etc, and they both have distinct handwriting. Also, newer mechs and equipment that were introduced in that game, instead of having actual pictures, instead have their rough outlines sketched out in the same color pen as their notes, to make it look like they drew it in themselves after their first encounter or two with the new technology. It's really cool and creates a nice sense of it being a real in-universe physical document.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I miss the old Maxis manuals where they would be full of every bit of information you could want about the game's subject.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
My favorite little thing about RE8 is that apparently the writer got fed up with people complaining about Cutscene Damage when in gameplay and how they can get maimed and shot and keep on trucking, so they made Ethan get equally maimed and hosed up in cutscenes then walk it off like it was nothing.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Leal posted:

My favorite little thing about RE8 is that apparently the writer got fed up with people complaining about Cutscene Damage when in gameplay and how they can get maimed and shot and keep on trucking, so they made Ethan get equally maimed and hosed up in cutscenes then walk it off like it was nothing.

If you think about it, you're not even using all your fingers most of the time.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I like how in some cutscenes Ethan gets hosed up and then uses a magic healing juice on his own initiative

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

HelleSpud posted:

The Zachtronics games TIS-100 and Shenzen I/O both have elaborate manuals recreating the computer manuals of their respective time periods. Of course, in their cases it's pretty much necessary as the first puzzle is "puzzle out how to use this programming language" and the first instruction is "RTFM".

Same with Exapunks where the manuals are zines that get delivered to the character and you print them out. And other hacker NPCs talk about the articles.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

thanks!

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
When II was a kid my parents got me and my brother Pokemon Red and Blue, and a strategy guide written more like a novelization of one dude's playthrough. I still distinctly remember Red teaching his Ratatata bubble as a thing.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My favorite little thing about a strategy guide is the Future press Dark Souls 1 guide suggesting you would get pasted by Seath, wake up in a jail cell, and then just going back to where you died to regain your souls with it

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Len posted:

My favorite little thing about a strategy guide is the Future press Dark Souls 1 guide suggesting you would get pasted by Seath, wake up in a jail cell, and then just going back to where you died to regain your souls with it

That's what you should do, it's right

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

That's what you should do, it's right

It's not wrong, just very unlikely that someone playing the game for the first time is going to pull that off

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The much better trick for a strategy guide to point out is that you can just throw on a (rare) ring of sacrifice and be none the worse off.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Guides being misleading or flat out wrong is my favorite. The Ogre Battle 64 guide is notorious for this.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Len posted:

It's not wrong, just very unlikely that someone playing the game for the first time is going to pull that off

If they follow the guide I'm sure it will tell them not to get hit or die on the way back. If they followed it and still got hit, they weren't paying attention to the guide directions. Getting hit was explicitly advised against.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Ff9 guide that just told you to go to the website constantly lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Ff9 guide that just told you to go to the website constantly lol

Truly ahead of its time. In 2000 that was weird but now you do it just to get games-as-a-service updates on the content.