Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
If Alaskans and other places want to keep bass out of their waters to Protect the fish they want, great on them. It’s part of their tourism. It’s part of what keeps the region fed and in work. It just make sense.

Carp on the other hand so nothing for the lower 48 except sell arrows. Their existence is poo poo. gently caress em.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

guess you'll have to die mad about it :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

I hate this poo poo, carp are fish too. stop killing them just because they aren't "sportfish"

Ghostnuke posted:

guess you'll have to die mad about it :shrug:

:hmmyes:

Posters getting owned by their own posting. It will never stop being funny.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

gonna think about you every time I cut some loser's line snagging for catfish and throwing carp on the bank

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
I'll eat every mother fucker I shoot bones or taste be dammed. I've been looking up some Asian carp recipes and I'll make do.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Ya'll chill the gently caress out, tia.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Ghostnuke posted:

gonna think about you every time I cut some loser's line snagging for catfish and throwing carp on the bank

Do you really think these things are equivalent?

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

James Woods posted:

I'll eat every mother fucker I shoot bones or taste be dammed. I've been looking up some Asian carp recipes and I'll make do.

You can always chop it up fine and make fishballs with it. For whatever reason a lot of folks don't think about making meatballs with fish meat, but you totally can.

I use striped perch meat for this because it tastes nice but is a little on the mushy side. Chop it up, season it how you like, drop the meatballs in some boiling stock/broth, Bob's your uncle

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Also the fishing thread is one of the chilliest on the forums so please knock that poo poo off

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
If i dont c and r a "trash fish" it gets made into dog food/jerky treats

Mukulu
Jul 14, 2006

Stop. Drop. Shut 'em down open up shop.
I just want to chime in that bowfishing is for losers and the activity is a waste. People will target suckers and just toss them away without eating them. I hate bowfishing so so so much.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
Jesus mother and Joseph. I was just looking into advise on shooting a fish with a bow and arrow like people have done for tens of thousands of years. Didn't think I'd stir up a eugenics discussion about carp.

I'm just a lifetime fisherman from the mountains getting back into the hobby that sucks with a reel and wanted to feel like Legolas on the river. I'll post pictures of my setup and a report of my first trip.

Mukulu posted:

I just want to chime in that bowfishing is for losers and the activity is a waste. People will target suckers and just toss them away without eating them. I hate bowfishing so so so much.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Check my above post. I eat what I kill. Crawdad or silverfish. If I take a life it becomes my energy for tomorrow no matter the taste.

James Woods fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 18, 2021

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

James Woods posted:

Jesus mother and Joseph. I was just looking into advise on shooting a fish with a bow and arrow like people have done for tens of thousands of years. Didn't think I'd stir up a eugenics discussion about carp.

If you come down to the Texas Hill Country I'll put you on to some "trash" gar and we can make gar balls over a campfire.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I've had a glorious 3 weeks of trout fishing with no mosquitos. But now they have arrived, ticks too. Time to wait for the bulk of them to die off, it's nasty in the woods right now.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Yooper posted:

I've had a glorious 3 weeks of trout fishing with no mosquitos. But now they have arrived, ticks too. Time to wait for the bulk of them to die off, it's nasty in the woods right now.

I've heard that you can't beat OFF! in the deep woods. :haw:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I've heard that you can't beat OFF! in the deep woods. :haw:

:smith:

I recently replaced my trebles with inline single circles. Hopefully I see easier releases and less beat up fish. Also picked up a 1/8oz yozuri to try with the rapalas I have. I’m told they’re killer out here in the bay.

In the meantime, waiting on Kobolds to let me know when he starts releasing paddletails. :dance:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I have a hard time fundamentally understanding fishing the bottom of the lake. It seems like we all get stuck all the time. Trying to bounce a jig just doesn't make sense when any bounce could be down into some rocks. Same goes for trolling. Depth changes all the time so it hits bottom or when we are up in the wilderness there are downed trees everywhere. Anyone have some wisdom?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Offshore fishing is harder than beating the bank. It’s also More successful because less people do it and the fish that stay offshore Or less pressured. If you were having issues with snags, the first thing I would try is a football jig. If you are snagging those, go lighter.

Getting snagged while trolling is just part of it. Even with the weedless Luer the angle of the line is just bound to be snagged by a rock or a limb. The only way around that is to fish hard bottom flats or vegetation instead of rock and Wood.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

KingKapalone posted:

I have a hard time fundamentally understanding fishing the bottom of the lake. It seems like we all get stuck all the time. Trying to bounce a jig just doesn't make sense when any bounce could be down into some rocks. Same goes for trolling. Depth changes all the time so it hits bottom or when we are up in the wilderness there are downed trees everywhere. Anyone have some wisdom?

Sickening is right, though getting off the bank opens up new worlds of opportunities.

There are many, many different shapes and styles of jigs to adapt to your fishing environment. Some have brush guards, and some lure rigging styles like Texas Rigs are weedless by design. If you're fishing jigs around rocks and they keep getting caught, you can use a bobber to keep the jig above the rocks. Sometimes you'll lose them, but that's how it goes.

There are also a couple of types of trolling: I assume you mean the style for walleye, with like a walking/lindy sinker keeping it near bottom. Walking sinkers are designed to avoid those kinds of bottom snags. If you're talking about trolling for trout or salmon, that's just keeping a lure at a specific depth that is usually nowhere near the bottom and you're far more likely to get tangled up on your other lines or a motor prop than anything else in the water. Sonar takes out a lot of the depth guesswork.

With all of this in mind, I'd say it's not worth worrying too much about. Fish love weeds and structure like fallen trees, so you're going to be fishing near them. Getting snagged is a part of fishing, and learning to retrieve or salvage a lure is a skill.

gamera009 posted:

:smith:

I recently replaced my trebles with inline single circles. Hopefully I see easier releases and less beat up fish. Also picked up a 1/8oz yozuri to try with the rapalas I have. I’m told they’re killer out here in the bay.

In the meantime, waiting on Kobolds to let me know when he starts releasing paddletails. :dance:

Sorry about the dad joke. It has been years since an opportunity to use it had presented itself. I had the shot, there was no danger, so I took it.

Re: paddletails - I have molds for 3.5" ones now and I can get some made if you're waiting on me. Any specific colors you're looking for? What's popular down there?

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Re: paddletails - I have molds for 3.5" ones now and I can get some made if you're waiting on me. Any specific colors you're looking for? What's popular down there?

Electric chicken/watermelon seems to be a good all rounder. Most people do a lot of pearl/white mornings and evenings. Most of the baitfish out here are shad and glass minnows. Occasional tiny ballyhoo.

Depending on price/quantity, I could do a couple dozen pretty easily.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Excellent! I'm not set up to do more than single color paddletails so electric chicken might be out, but I have a shitload of colors including some glow powders and UV additives. We'll dial it in!

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

I had the shot, there was no danger, so I took it.

AND BROKE A MAJOR RULE OF ENGAGEMENT

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Ghostnuke posted:

AND BROKE A MAJOR RULE OF ENGAGEMENT

I WANT SOME BUTTS

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

I WANT SOME BUTTS

If you send me one Buttcoin I will double it and send it back.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Desert Bus posted:

If you send me one Buttcoin I will double it and send it back.

I'll send you some soft plastic dicks if you want

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'll send you some soft plastic dicks if you want

Hi.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

:wink:

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Excellent! I'm not set up to do more than single color paddletails so electric chicken might be out, but I have a shitload of colors including some glow powders and UV additives. We'll dial it in!

Really, anything with sparkles. SPARKLES.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I currently have a 5 wt 7'6" rod that I bought a while ago to start fly fishing with. I do more river fishing for panfish and smallmouth bass than I do small steam for trout, so was considering getting a 5 wt 9' so I have an easier time casting. I'm also going to be doing some fishing on the Beaverkill river in NY. I'm not really tall so I figure I could use the length increase to get some distance on the Potomac, which is close to me.

Unless I hear otherwise, any reason not to just go to my local shop and pick up a clearwater rod or are there other manufacturers I should consider? I want more than a beginner rod but I don't need anything high performance. I don't think I need to move up in rod weight, as I like the versatility of the 5 for trout and small bass.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

I’d take a long look at the Sage Pulse or Foundation depending on your budget. If you don’t already own a 9’ 5wt, that’s definitely a solid choice.

atlas barfed
Aug 17, 2006
Some of the other people in this thread can chime in if I'm incorrect, but there's not a huge difference in casting distance from a 7 foot rod to a 9 foot one.

I find the main pluses to the longer rod are easier mends, easier tightlining/keeping more line off the water, and getting over obstructions like 6 feet of brush behind you. The short rod will deal with overhanging brush or nearby obstructions better, casts more accurate in close, is easier to hike with without getting hung up. I'd estimate my difference in max casting distance with my shorter rod to my 9 foot one is like 10 feet. Most casts are like 40-60 max, which is doable with both. There is more advantage if you're wading deep, or in a canoe/kayak, as you can get the line further off the water, but I never really regret having brought a short rod VS a long one.

I'd recommend just sticking with it, and upgrading when you have a better idea of what you would need for your specific fishing. A 7/8wt does expand the types of flies you can throw, and take sink/intermediate line (I think it's hard to find them for rods under 6wt), but the 5wt will still throw smaller bass stuff. Also the amount that would be spent on the rod could go towards a used kayak or canoe that could cover even further range if that's an option.

atlas barfed fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 23, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I would say that it’s easier to underestimate the extra distance you get out of the 9+ rods, but I also agree that extra distance you get out of it is not as crucial as you might think. I mean this mostly in the situations of throwing live/cut bait. Fish are going to find your mullet regardless.

The only caveat is being able to reach a ledge or Throw past an area where the bottom is covered in snags. That however is going to be very niche situations. I would rather upgrade my cooler than upgrade my rod if the only issue is length.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

atlas barfed posted:

Some of the other people in this thread can chime in if I'm incorrect, but there's not a huge difference in casting distance from a 7 foot rod to a 9 foot one.

I was about to say this is 100% incorrect but then I realised you were talking about fly rods.

Valt
May 14, 2006

Oh HELL yeah.
Ultra Carp

Planet X posted:

I currently have a 5 wt 7'6" rod that I bought a while ago to start fly fishing with. I do more river fishing for panfish and smallmouth bass than I do small steam for trout, so was considering getting a 5 wt 9' so I have an easier time casting. I'm also going to be doing some fishing on the Beaverkill river in NY. I'm not really tall so I figure I could use the length increase to get some distance on the Potomac, which is close to me.

Unless I hear otherwise, any reason not to just go to my local shop and pick up a clearwater rod or are there other manufacturers I should consider? I want more than a beginner rod but I don't need anything high performance. I don't think I need to move up in rod weight, as I like the versatility of the 5 for trout and small bass.

For what it’s worth I have a 5wt orvis encounter rod and I like it a ton. I have a different reel then what it comes with but honestly it doesn’t matter that much. I find that I can cast quite far with it compared to the cheaper 4wt rod I was using.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
I got my first over slot trout this year :toot:

Technically, I'm allowed to keep one over 19" but I always throw the big girls back. The central Panhandle is so so overfished :(

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
As promised I finally got my bowfishing rig and wanted to post some pictures and give my first range report.

This is the setup I have so far. It's a cheap Toparchery recurve takedown bow with a 40lb. draw. It came with six target arrows, targets, sight, guide, finger and arm guard, and counter balance weight for $50. The bow itself breaks down into three pieces that I can assemble in a couple of minutes with my bicycle Allen key. For now I'm not using the sight or guide as I'm told that bowfishing is more instinctive and don't want to rely on any aids.

The case set me back another $35 plus $8 for a MOLLE pouch to hold the reel. It holds everything I'd need at the range or in the field and is really comfy to wear when riding my bike. This was important because I live across the street from Golden Gate Park and wanted an easy rig to ride with to the archery range about a mile away. On top of that I got a decent archery glove and a tactilol quiver for the range.

The reel was $35 and while not the best on the market is a third of the price of anything else I could find. I looked up the reviews and after practicing with it a bit I'm fairly confident I can avoid any snags as long as I keep tension on the line. All in all the entire setup cost me less than $200.

I took it to the range today and shot about a hundred arrows at 20 yards and am happy to say that I only missed the target twice. I haven't shot a bow in almost twenty years but about halfway through my shooting session I was doing consistent 8" groups. That said I'll be amazed if I bag anything on my first trip.

My bowfishing arrows arrive on Thursday and I plan to try them out with rubber tips at the fly fishing pond nearby with permission from the old farts that frequent the place. I gotta say that my right arm and bicep are sore as hell after an afternoon of shooting but I plan to go at least three times a week before my first trip to get in shape. I leave for Lake Berryessa on June 4th for three days to hopefully bag some Carp or God willing a Trout or Salmon.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Farking Bastage posted:

I got my first over slot trout this year :toot:

Technically, I'm allowed to keep one over 19" but I always throw the big girls back. The central Panhandle is so so overfished :(

Do you have any advice for me, someone who will be at Pensacola Beach in a couple of weeks? I won't have a boat, so I'll probably just fish off the dock into the bay. Wondering if I can hope to find any speckled trout or redfish. I'm planning on throwing paddle tail ~4" swimbaits and ned rigged worms.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Easychair Bootson posted:

Do you have any advice for me, someone who will be at Pensacola Beach in a couple of weeks? I won't have a boat, so I'll probably just fish off the dock into the bay. Wondering if I can hope to find any speckled trout or redfish. I'm planning on throwing paddle tail ~4" swimbaits and ned rigged worms.

Get some Z-man paddletails and/or shrimp baits. The pinfish and other stuff will absolutely wreck GULP baits and you'll go through a whole tub of them in one session. The beach itself gets deep in a hurry, but if you can find a backwater area, wading at dusk is an option to spot redfish tails, (depending on your personal adversion to alligators). I don't know Pensacola very well, but if you can find some jettys, that's where I would shore fish from.

Pompano are about on the beaches, look up how to catch sand fleas in the surf and use those for bait and/or a chartreuse bucktail jig.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I use to try fishing In Pensacola by the mouth of the bay. Saw giant bull sharks in the shallows tearing up an over the slot red fish that had just been released.
Sting Ray ran into me and knocked me on my rear end in the shallows. Sand fleas ate the gently caress out of me. Pin fish have teeth. However if you got base access and can get to the coast guard station there’s apparently a ton of sheepshead hanging out around the pilings. Juvenile crabs I hear work good for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OniPanda
May 13, 2004

OH GOD BEAR

James Woods posted:

This is the setup I have so far. It's a cheap Toparchery recurve takedown bow with a 40lb. draw.

40 lb? Hooo boy, I bet your arm is sore. I got a 30 lb recurve and sometimes I wish I woulda opted for the 20 lb. I'm pretty strong, and can easily draw when I'm fresh, but my arm tires out a lot faster than with a 20 lb.

I'm actually really interested in how this all works out, because I've also flirted with the idea of bow fishing.