Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
It’s loving hilarious my homepods are getting extra functionality with the new 4K so that now I can pass my cable tv audio to HomePods via ARC, I can’t think of another Apple product that has gone through such odd past present future implementations

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Ordered the new Siri Remote and had a delivery date of June that moved up to next week.

Walked into Da Fruit Stand today and picked one up. Can’t wait to try it when I get home!

Posted as a reminder that if you need something the day it comes out, check store inventory the morning of and you may not have to wait!

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

smackfu posted:

Surprised no one has mentioned there is finally a new YouTube app. The skip forward and back seems better than the old terrible version, so far. The layout of the browse grid seems a little less dense so not sure about that. I think it’s better overall?

Oh the stupid floating logo on the grid is stupid. Always something.

Still doesn’t support long press to do things like add to Watch Later like basically every other device.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

smackfu posted:

Surprised no one has mentioned there is finally a new YouTube app. The skip forward and back seems better than the old terrible version, so far. The layout of the browse grid seems a little less dense so not sure about that. I think it’s better overall?

Oh the stupid floating logo on the grid is stupid. Always something.

Well, it does have this going for it:

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/05/21/youtube-4k-6-fps-new-apple-tv-4k/

So, 4K resolution at 60 frames per second playback, but only on the new ATV 4K..

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Does Apple or the developer of an app determine what the menu/back button does? Because I want it to just go back to the previous screen, not exit the app completely.

Example: I'm in an app for a news network and I start playing a video. I want to leave the video and go pick another, but pressing the menu/back takes me all the way back to the Apple TV home screen.

I think this happens in the YouTube app as well.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
If ATV 4Kv1 struggles with 4K60 YouTube, then what kind of mess is AV1 playback gonna be. Guess I should temper my expectations for future software decoding.

Guess we could figure it out by looking at the phones the chips were used with.

kliras fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 21, 2021

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I just got in my new Apple TV remote and started messing with it. The first thing I noticed is that the click wheel doesn’t work like a click wheel.

I was expecting it to track forward as I spun it clockwise and reverse in counter-clockwise, but it doesn’t. Instead if you spin it, it just goes back and forth.

https://streamable.com/ue1zrm

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 00:35 on May 22, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Grant DaNasty posted:

I just got in my new Apple TV remote and started messing with it. The first thing I noticed is that the click wheel doesn’t work like a click wheel.

I was expecting it to track forward as I spun it clockwise and reverse in counter-clockwise, but it doesn’t. Instead if you spin it, it just goes back and forth.

Lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Grant DaNasty posted:

Yeah im seeing this too and also the middle part is basically a touchpad so sometimes my finger hits it and screws things up? very weird.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Grant DaNasty posted:

:stonk:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
New ATV showing up in stock at local stores so that’s cool, might just swing by to pickup one.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

What's the point of making it look like the click wheel if it doesn't work like the click wheel??

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

To make sure I'm not crazy I checked Apple's website.

It says "use a circular gesture on the outer ring to find just the scene you're looking for".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I'm wondering if it's some weird bug because they definitely showed it working like a click wheel during the event.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

sonatinas posted:

It’s loving hilarious my homepods are getting extra functionality with the new 4K so that now I can pass my cable tv audio to HomePods via ARC, I can’t think of another Apple product that has gone through such odd past present future implementations
Wait what is that something just for the new one? Wonder if it'd work through my receiver, although I'm curious how the latency works out.

ZeeBoi posted:

Does Apple or the developer of an app determine what the menu/back button does? Because I want it to just go back to the previous screen, not exit the app completely.

Example: I'm in an app for a news network and I start playing a video. I want to leave the video and go pick another, but pressing the menu/back takes me all the way back to the Apple TV home screen.

I think this happens in the YouTube app as well.
Yeah it should just go back. The TV button or whatever it is goes back to the home screen. Actually I think there's a setting for them in the main Settings app? Maybe your Menu button is set to go home or something. (And I think holding it down might also go home...)

Social Animal posted:

What's the point of making it look like the click wheel if it doesn't work like the click wheel??
So the circle itself doesn't click? Boo!

For the jog functionality can the OP try it in something with the standard timeline like some Apple TV+ show? I'm thinking apps will have to be updated to use the wheel...which means it'll probably be useless in a lot of apps for a few weeks/months.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The circle clicks

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Grant DaNasty posted:

edit: It's not actually a click wheel. It's just an outer rim that you're supposed to spin your thumb in a circular motion on to jog forward and backwards.

How else are they going to get you to buy a 4k v2 without making it work just a little wonky without it?

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

You need to rest your thumb on the circle part when videos are paused, then the timeline icon turns into a circle and you can jog through.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

I think I have it figured out.

You pause a video and rest your thumb on the outer ring for a second. The jogging feature appears and it works. However I can only get it to work on some streaming services. It works on Apple TV+, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, but it doesn’t work on Disney Plus or YouTube.

I’ll just keep testing it.

Netflix: https://streamable.com/3qpj8p

Disney Plus: https://streamable.com/c7djz6

edit:

Looks like jogging works on everything but Disney Plus, YouTube, Peacock, and Plex.

Grant DaNasty fucked around with this message at 19:58 on May 21, 2021

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Grant DaNasty posted:

I think I have it figured out.

You pause a video and rest your thumb on the outer ring for a second. The jogging feature appears and it works. However I can only get it to work on some streaming services. It works on Apple TV+, Netflix, and Amazon Prime, but it doesn’t work on Disney Plus or YouTube.

I’ll just keep testing it.

Netflix: https://streamable.com/3qpj8p

Disney Plus: https://streamable.com/c7djz6

edit:

Looks like jogging works on everything but Disney Plus, YouTube, Peacock, and Plex.

I wish I could disable the middle touchpad but keep the wheel scroll working.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I think there are some apps that just don't work correctly with it yet. Infuse for instance has an update coming.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah keep in mind that devs first got the new remote today too.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wait what the hell, is the “home” button really the Apple TV app button now?? Every time I push it, it opens the ATV app. It’s like having the Netflix button all over again. Garbage.

e: Oh loving A, you can change it in Settings, but it’s still dogshit garbage that the ATV app is the default. gently caress.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Wait what the hell, is the “home” button really the Apple TV app button now?? Every time I push it, it opens the ATV app. It’s like having the Netflix button all over again. Garbage.

That was previously a setting. I would go check that. It defaulted to to the Apple TV app with one of the software updates, so new systems are probably the same.

edit: drat you sure angry about a setting you can change

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah it's been that way for several years.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

edit: drat you sure angry about a setting you can change

Mapping a button on a remote to one specific app is absolutely stupid to default to.

And I guess I haven't touched that setting in a few years or whatever :v:

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok, so I've got a pair of Sonos One SLs being Airplayed to by the ATV. All the menu sounds come out of the TV speaker, but movie sounds come out of the Sonos. Super weird.

Problem is, the audio on the Sonos is ahead of the video on the screen. I did the wireless audio sync in the ATV settings with my phone, but it sends the tones through the TV speakers and not my Sonos, which is also super weird.

On the Sonos site, it says to go to Settings > select group > Home Theatre section > TV Dialog Sync. But this doesn't exist for a pair of One SLs. It appears for my Beam/One/Sub setup downstairs though. Is there really no audio lag adjustment for a Sonos group without a soundbar connected?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Mapping a button on a remote to one specific app is absolutely stupid to default to.

And I guess I haven't touched that setting in a few years or whatever :v:

The idea was that the TV app would be your hub for all your viewing and you'd just go there to get recommendations and get whooshed right to whatever you wanted to watch. It didn't pan out well especially given that Netflix doesn't hook into it.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

The idea was that the TV app would be your hub for all your viewing and you'd just go there to get recommendations and get whooshed right to whatever you wanted to watch. It didn't pan out well especially given that Netflix doesn't hook into it.

Yeah, it was before they even launched AppleTV+

Also the first time you press it it asks if you want to use it as the home or as TV app now

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Definitely mixed on the new remote. Love the new size and weight but it feels like it’s going to get scratched to poo poo. The scroll wheel aspect is finicky and takes too long to activate so I can’t see myself ever using it - definitely feels like a wasted opportunity. The clicky buttons for scrubbing through YTTV and other streaming apps is such a big improvement, as expected, but it is hard to feel like that alone is worth $60. Also, annoying as hell that you can’t keep two remotes paired. Thought I was getting an extra.

The only thing stopping me from using the as-good and arguably better One for All $20 remote is the line of sight requirements. Didn’t think I’d be debating because of how much I hated the old remote, but unfortunately this is just such a minor step for a big cost.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

CEC still sucks poo poo.

It’s even worse when I moved my old ATV 4K upstairs to my TCL bedroom TV. It doesn’t even bother switching inputs when I mash buttons on the ATV remote. It at least used to do that when hooked up to my Sony X900F.

e: I do really like the feel and weight of the new remote though. It’s so much easier to hold and hopefully not lose? Would have been cool if there was a location beep like for the Apple Watch and phone though.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 22, 2021

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ok, so I've got a pair of Sonos One SLs being Airplayed to by the ATV. All the menu sounds come out of the TV speaker, but movie sounds come out of the Sonos. Super weird.

Problem is, the audio on the Sonos is ahead of the video on the screen. I did the wireless audio sync in the ATV settings with my phone, but it sends the tones through the TV speakers and not my Sonos, which is also super weird.

On the Sonos site, it says to go to Settings > select group > Home Theatre section > TV Dialog Sync. But this doesn't exist for a pair of One SLs. It appears for my Beam/One/Sub setup downstairs though. Is there really no audio lag adjustment for a Sonos group without a soundbar connected?

Looks like someone is getting that Arc early (both my TVs I have hooked up to a Sonos sound bar so I unfortunately don’t know).

I preordered with Costco and it still has not shipped yet. loving rip me. If it doesn’t ship by Tuesday (my next day off) I’ll reserve one at the apple store and cancel it.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

Hey thread, just got a new (and my first) Apple TV. It’s pretty cool! Is there a way to change the sound control buttons from controlling my tv’s built in speakers to my separate amp?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Dugong posted:

Hey thread, just got a new (and my first) Apple TV. It’s pretty cool! Is there a way to change the sound control buttons from controlling my tv’s built in speakers to my separate amp?

Yep! If you have a hdmi-cec receiver connected it should just work.

If not, you can program the Apple TV remote to send the same IR signals as your amp. Look in settings under remotes and devices.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Can the power button on the new remote send via IR or is it only via HDMI-CEC?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Biggest negative of the new remote so far: very loud when it gets knocked off the couch arm on to the hardwood floors. The old one had a silicon case to make it usable and that made it very quiet. Wouldn’t be surprised if the aluminum gets dinged up.

Also, I wish the power button just turned it off instead of requiring a hold.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

I preordered with Costco and it still has not shipped yet. loving rip me. If it doesn’t ship by Tuesday (my next day off) I’ll reserve one at the apple store and cancel it.

Their preorder paid said "ships week of 5/24" so I'm guessing it goes out some time next week

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
For those who remember, does the new remote’s aluminum feel identical to the old pre-Siri Apple remotes that were also aluminum?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Thwomp posted:

For those who remember, does the new remote’s aluminum feel identical to the old pre-Siri Apple remotes that were also aluminum?

Better, because it's a little thicker with a bit more heft, but the d-pad is where you'd expect it with muscle memory from that one or the prior white plastic one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Yeah it’s a lot better than the first gen remote, feels heavier and more robust