Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Lord of the Llamas posted:

This is even worse than the amount of time they spent saying "DID CORBYN EVEN VOTE REMAIN HUH?" despite the fact he tweeted a picture of himself outside the polling station on the day of the referendum saying he was voting remain.

He only used 70% pressure on the pencil though, leaving a feint, unconvincing mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1371911395395112965

This man clearly hates vaccines.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know what set of the Swansea riot?

All the articles i've read are very uninterested in saying why it happened. So far I can work out step 1) vigil for 19 year old that died ......... step 4) RIOT

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Lord of the Llamas posted:

This is even worse than the amount of time they spent saying "DID CORBYN EVEN VOTE REMAIN HUH?" despite the fact he tweeted a picture of himself outside the polling station on the day of the referendum saying he was voting remain.

No but we didn't see his ballot paper so we didn't know how he voted and what do you mean that photographing your ballot paper is illegal

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Regarde Aduck posted:

All the articles i've read are very uninterested in saying why it happened. So far I can work out step 1) vigil for 19 year old that died ......... step 4) RIOT

I mean normally the intervening step in that chain would be "the police started beating people up for no reason"

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

I mean normally the intervening step in that chain would be "the police started beating people up for no reason"

Yeah that's apparently 2)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
apparantly the police turned up, saw there were more than 5 'youths' throwing stuff and drove off and never came back. Apparently there the street was full of journos and the police never returned during the time they were there. That's what i've read anyway. Definitely feels like i'm missing an entire side of the story.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Regarde Aduck posted:

apparantly the police turned up, saw there were more than 5 'youths' throwing stuff and drove off and never came back. Apparently there the street was full of journos and the police never returned during the time they were there. That's what i've read anyway. Definitely feels like i'm missing an entire side of the story.

Press wouldn't have shown up just for a local vigil though, they would only have gotten up there after something had started.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
So the police are evil, violent thugs dishing out violence indiscriminantly but also coward losers that took one look and ran away. Great.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Lungboy posted:

The BBC's kids content has been superlative during lockdown, and even before that was top stuff.

Chubby Henparty posted:

drat straight. Also Bluey

iPlayer got our house through lockdown with any semblance of sanity remaining. I'm sad that Little Big Awesome has gone now, they had ~30 episodes available last year. That show really nailed the clever jokes for adults while still being entertaining for kids.

Bluey is a nice surprise too.

BBC posted:

Diana interview: PM concerned after inquiry into BBC deceit
The BBC should take "every possible step" to ensure that nothing like its deceit of the Princess of Wales to secure an interview ever happens again, Prime Minister Boris Johnson has said.

Wow. If Boris isn't happy with a journalist lying about this, wait until he learns about Brexit!

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

It was like a mile from me & I don't know poo poo.

Chatted to a few people today though, from what people are saying it doesn't sound like much of a "riot" per se, that video that's doing the rounds looks like the worst of it. Coppers kicked off, kids threw a bunch of bricks & chased them off, then got a bit overexcited & burnt out a car.

Mayhill's pretty much the roughest part of Swansea, it's about what you'd expect to happen if police want to start poo poo.

e: will probably have more info tomorrow night if anyone cares, one of my RP group lives just up the road from there. Honestly it sounds like a wet fart though, can't believe it's made national news. Like all the young people are unemployed & bored, or course some poo poo's gonna kick off. Honestly I'm just impressed they braved the weather

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 21, 2021

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

serious gaylord posted:

Gnasher is lashing out because they'd have to name the account owners if Rosen was to sue them.

Would they not also have to name the account holders if they were to sue Rosen? Is any threat by them to sue toothless unless they're willing to doxx themselves?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Endjinneer posted:

Would they not also have to name the account holders if they were to sue Rosen? Is any threat by them to sue toothless unless they're willing to doxx themselves?

Why would they even care if they doxx themselves?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

xtothez posted:

Wow. If Boris isn't happy with a journalist lying about this, wait until he learns about Brexit!

That's kind of it, though. Boris is saying, in a subtle way, "I have the capability to intervene on the media."

It's all very thuggish, "I'd hate to have to regulate the presses..."

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 21, 2021

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

my Dad wants me to stop calling Boris Boris, because that's just his stage name and he doesn't deserve the dignity of being called that, but who gives a poo poo. kayfabe is real. He's an absolute gobshite and we should call Boris whatever the gently caress we want

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Venomous posted:

my Dad wants me to stop calling Boris Boris, because that's just his stage name and he doesn't deserve the dignity of being called that, but who gives a poo poo. kayfabe is real. He's an absolute gobshite and we should call Boris whatever the gently caress we want

You're both right. Bloody Stupid Johnson is the best compromise

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was never sure if pratchett made that name specifically to make fun of boris because I can't remembr when he first shows up.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I do wonder what Butterfly Effect stuff would have happened if he was Alexander de Pfeffel Johnson from the start.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Venomous posted:

Just find something really disgusting to call him instead.

I really try not to call him Boris. It feels like a small victory for him every time someone does.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
my parents are watching HIGNFY except it's apparently become You've Been Framed now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The problem with insisting on making up names for people is you sound like weird old boomers going on about biraq obungler or whatever and you eventually just sound incomprehensible.

Exception made for keir though because I genuinely keep forgetting he isn't called keith.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

biraq obungler

You mean Barfsack Ocrumbo? AKA B-Rock "The Islamic Shock" Hussein SuperAllah Obama?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Julio Cruz posted:

my parents are watching HIGNFY except it's apparently become You've Been Framed now

The jokes are really weak on it these days.
They get uploaded to YT so I watch it once in a while, and there's no political satire in it any more.
Its monkey cheese Milton Jones word puns for 5 year olds to clap along to, in between bits of the obligatory Hislop squinting and going 'Tsk this government tsk'.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
ZANU Lieboural Conservocrats :freep:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Failed Imagineer posted:

B-Rock "The Islamic Shock" Hussein SuperAllah Obama
That name's actually badass tho

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

happyhippy posted:

The jokes are really weak on it these days.
They get uploaded to YT so I watch it once in a while, and there's no political satire in it any more.
Its monkey cheese Milton Jones word puns for 5 year olds to clap along to, in between bits of the obligatory Hislop squinting and going 'Tsk this government tsk'.

I've got headphones in so I have no idea what was said (though between Hislop and Osman I bet it was some pissweak "both sides are the same" bullshit) but 4 or 5 times I looked over and it was some "comedy" clip they must have found somewhere on the internet

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The natural trajectory for broadcast tv is to become the means by which old people can watch youtube.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Z the IVth posted:

Why would they even care if they doxx themselves?

Gnasher jew's account has, as far as I know, always been very keen to protect the anonymity of its author/s. At least one person involved might have accidentally outed themselves but I don't think anyone's sure.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

The natural trajectory for broadcast tv is to become the means by which old people can watch youtube.

Didn't Russell Howard already make that show?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

OwlFancier posted:

I was never sure if pratchett made that name specifically to make fun of boris because I can't remembr when he first shows up.

I think it was possibly Men at Arms, which would be 1993 and so technically possible by being around the time Johnson had his column as the Telegraph's Brussels correspondent, but I believe the name is a play on "Capability" Brown, the landscape gardener. Johnson could still be a reference, but nothing else really fits, Bloody Stupid was an inventor of ridiculous things, while Incredibly Stupid Johnson hasn't invented anything, and wouldn't get a reputation for dumb ideas like bridges to Ireland for a few decades yet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure I know the character is a pisstake of capability but I wasn't sure if the name was a poke at johnson.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pratchett always was a big believer in the power of Narrative.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Regarde Aduck posted:

I think Borrovan already covered it but basically Mayhill is the poorest most downtrodden part of a poor and downtrodden city. If you're a kid growing up in Mayhill the chance to burn a car down is probably the most fun you're going to have all year and the police apparently decided it wasn't worth the trouble so just hosed off and let them get on with it.

My sister lives on the other side of the hill in Mount Pleasant and when I asked her about it she was surprised it got that much coverage as apparently a couple of months ago a bunch of guys had a machete fight on her street and it didn't even make the news. Her house is about 5 minutes away from the police station as well to give you an idea about how loving off and ignoring stuff is the go to strategy for south wales police.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I dont call Johnson any weird names, but I do make sure to call him Johnson rather than Boris, because yeah, using his name is part of his power.

Now I've said Johnson a few times I'm thinking of Johnson from Peep Show, and I feel ashamed for inadvertently besmirching his name.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Johnson is a bit ambiguous though, because you could be talking about Stanley or Jo or Alan.

In any of those cases you can also use oval office.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think something terrible has happened to my brain because I keep for some reason thinking that boris's middle name is stanley but that's his dad's name and I think I am getting them confused because of B.S Johnson and also the guy from Porridge.

It's going to be absolutely terrible for everyone around me once the dementia gets me.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

So the police are evil, violent thugs dishing out violence indiscriminantly but also coward losers that took one look and ran away. Great.

These are by no means mutually incompatible, correct.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Perfect Element posted:

Now I've said Johnson a few times I'm thinking of Johnson from Peep Show, and I feel ashamed for inadvertently besmirching his name.

"Stick that up your BoJo"

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/RPCorpIntl/status/1329923634236895238?s=19

Thread

I have no idea what is real any more so I choose to believe what is the most amusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Either he has actually gone by keith in the past or a surprisingly large number of people throughout his career also keep calling him keith presumably not as a cruel joke but just because he seems like a keith.

And I'm not sure which is funnier, I want to believe in the essential keithyness of starmer.