Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
I started playing a month ago and theres so much stuff i wonder just how barebones it all was at launch lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/1395371596764876808?s=19

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ProceduralTRV/status/1395375971218382848?s=19

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Seems to be the general consensus

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Does anyone else have problems with Nada and Polo not actually giving any information on an Atlas station as is needed for the fourth Expedition goal?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Sean please, I haven't even got round to trying the expedition mode yet.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ssthalar posted:

Does anyone else have problems with Nada and Polo not actually giving any information on an Atlas station as is needed for the fourth Expedition goal?

Polo seems bugged if you choose his first dialogue option he'll from then on only offer to sell you random mods. Happened to be during the previous expedition too. Though eventually the game just decided I was on the atlas path quest last time ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Dwesa posted:

Well, you can just edit your save in case you hate FOMO and your game crashes.

The fomo joke was due to the crashes. If I *really* was tilted about the gold ship then yeah of course I'd edit it in, but I'm really more in it just for doing the stuff. The funny part here is I can't edit it in a save because I can't play long enough to save. :v:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cheeseboy58 posted:

I started playing a month ago and theres so much stuff i wonder just how barebones it all was at launch lol
You had planets (much less variety, no unusuals), resources (different ones, no cargo slot in backpack), spaceships, space stations (so empty they only exist now as Derelict Space Station maps), the anomaly (two rooms, no multiplayer or quests), one questline (Atlas Rises), and that's about it. No birds, no burrowing animals, no large animals, no water-exploration, no exocraft, no freighters of any kind, no frigates, no black markets, no pulse drive events, no buried treasure like bones or artifacts, no automatic miners, no resource nodes, almost no base parts, just barely enough to demonstrate that they had an idea.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also the planet generation was INCREDIBLY basic so almost every planet was exactly the same and it was hosed up so you had either a trade center, a lab, or a hub of some sorts like every other miles.

You could basically fly in a straight line and find a structure every 15 seconds. It was the easiest way to upgrade your inventory since every single planet was littered with upgrade pods. There were black holes but no portals.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Yeah it's really amazing how much of a comeback NMS made. A lot of the gameplay loop can be pretty shallow or janky but there's a honest try at delivering what was originally promised, if a few years late. I was honestly surprised as someone who picked it up within the month too.

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Lol what, I did not expect to get the SSV Normandy from Mass Effect as part of this poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I really should give Expeditions a shot they sound kinda fun and these rewards look cool. Does this stuff carry over or does everything reset between?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I really should give Expeditions a shot they sound kinda fun and these rewards look cool. Does this stuff carry over or does everything reset between?

Cosmetic and special rewards like unique ship types carry over into other games/saves - you can access them via the Quicksilver Synthesis Companion in the Nexus. Each expedition is its own thing though, you start a new save and get a randomised character, a crappy ship, and a list of things to do.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Lol just clipped through my freighters main terminal and fell down to my death, losing all my poo poo. Id be furious if this was permadeath. Great game

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
oh no they've added launch thruster upgrade modules where the gently caress am i gonna fit these

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

almost no base parts

pretty sure there was no base parts or base building whatsoever in the initial launch version

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

CheeseSpawn posted:

I think that bug resolves itself if you leave the system or warp around. I had it but it cleared itself somehow. For fixing a crashed ship goal, if you just swap to the unfixed ship on your freighter and just portal to the in system station, it gives credit. Discovered this by accident when I was going to melt some cheap ships.

I discovered this when I was doing that trick with the crashed ships. I only wanted to portal over and get some cash/mods from them without bothering to fix it. I ended up noticing that they automatically fix the pulse engine and launch thrusters for you. I guess so you can't get stuck on the space station?

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
I haven't played since pre-Expeditions but I definitely want that SSV Normandy frigate for whenever I pop back on my main account so for those still playing - how long does it take to do this expedition thing that rewards you with it starting from scratch? Is this a full week kind of thing or can I knock it out in an afternoon?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Meiteron posted:

I haven't played since pre-Expeditions but I definitely want that SSV Normandy frigate for whenever I pop back on my main account so for those still playing - how long does it take to do this expedition thing that rewards you with it starting from scratch? Is this a full week kind of thing or can I knock it out in an afternoon?
In an afternoon or two, I have about 5 hours on my second expedition save and that's with a lot of needless faffing around, many milestones are as easy as "land on toxic planet"

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I might start playing again. My original save is gone because I upgraded to a PS5. Let’s say I just do the Expedition and get the Normandy, but I don’t have a freighter yet. Does the Normandy just disappear, or does it something I can unlock in general on any save?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

These Zodiac Cyphers are wild.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Bob Socko posted:

I might start playing again. My original save is gone because I upgraded to a PS5. Let’s say I just do the Expedition and get the Normandy, but I don’t have a freighter yet. Does the Normandy just disappear, or does it something I can unlock in general on any save?

You unlock the ability to buy the cosmetics and rare ships on other saves. So you don't need to worry. Also the game only replaces/overwrites your freighter if you opt to buy a new one, so if you claim/buy it from the quocksilver vendor on a save you're not screwing yourself over.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

All right so I started the expedition journey tonight. This is... fun? I'm noticing all sorts of storage/UI QOL changes that are just nice, being able to move upgrades around freely is cool. Journey giving you expansion slots is cool. You start a freighter? Cool. I like the clear direction of the early tasks to get you flying and moving though my brain is completely trying to access poo poo that is not in this game (system map) because of how much I played Elite Dangerous before this.

I'll probably write these expedition steps elsewhere and knock 'em out as I work on other poo poo / keep moving along the line. Can all of this be done cooperately? I see other players but how does this gel if I wanted to play with friends?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

fast cars loose anus posted:

oh no they've added launch thruster upgrade modules where the gently caress am i gonna fit these

I guess the answer is "nowhere" since my 120 hour save now crashes every time I get out of my ship, so good bye to No Man's Sky as I'm not doing all that poo poo again.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

fast cars loose anus posted:

I guess the answer is "nowhere" since my 120 hour save now crashes every time I get out of my ship, so good bye to No Man's Sky as I'm not doing all that poo poo again.

I had a problem like this in first expedition. I think my solution was warping to another system and using a manual save beacon. It would then almost freeze like it would crash but I guess it overwrote whatever bug was there.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Bob Socko posted:

Also worth noting is this expedition gives you a freighter literally right off the bat, presumably to ensure nobody skipped getting one for the payoff

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Success! Loading a normal game, turning on multiplayer, then loading expeditions made it stable. No, I don't know why.

30 minutes after starting I realized the beginning system had Activated Indium so of course that planet is covered with farms. No need to feel poor again!

Earwicker posted:

pretty sure there was no base parts or base building whatsoever in the initial launch version

Ayup. No bases, upgrades couldn't be moved, the anomaly was just nada/polo, there was just a bad version of Atlas for quests, and all ships were the same except slots. No tech slots either, so all the progression/gameplay was: Do Atlas, find ships with +1 slots until max, find containers for max suit slots, find center of galaxy and be disappointed.

The hopping out of your ship save mechanic made a bit more sense back then since you'd land, look around, maybe take a screenshot, then off you go.

Mailer fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 22, 2021

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Coolness Averted posted:

You unlock the ability to buy the cosmetics and rare ships on other saves. So you don't need to worry. Also the game only replaces/overwrites your freighter if you opt to buy a new one, so if you claim/buy it from the quocksilver vendor on a save you're not screwing yourself over.

Cool, thank you!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Also worth noting is this expedition gives you a freighter literally right off the bat, presumably to ensure nobody skipped getting one for the payoff

Even better, thank you as well!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Wait, does the Normandy just show up or can you claim it as a ship?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

The_Doctor posted:

Wait, does the Normandy just show up or can you claim it as a ship?
It's claimable frigate for your freighter, one of main rewards unlockable on other saves too.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
And for absolute clarity: It is a NPC ship that you send out on missions, not one you can use as a ship garage/flying base of operations. As far as I saw you couldn't even land on it to repair it (which indicates it's impossible for it to take damage on a mission), presumably both because "didn't have a good way to retrofit it for parking on/walking around on top of" and "didn't have an easy way to put NPC chat on it to talk to you when you go to repair it".

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Yeah also since the starting gimmick this time is you don't have an in ship warp drive, so if you play the expedition "pure" you're using your freighter to warp until phase 2.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

5:10 to do season 2. It was fun enough (ignoring an extra hour of crashes) that I'm in for season 3. Wound up with an A explorer and A multitool, with an S fighter I'll never use but picked up just in case. Was not spoiled on the easter egg and was pleasantly surprised.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Hm 5:10 is way better than the ~40 the first one took.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Given the list of rewards at the vendor, the first one had waaaay more stuff in it. Here you get the end reward and fireworks, which apparently would have unlocked in season 1 anyway.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah this was a comparatively short one, I'm hoping it's not something they're going to make a habit of-- longer expeditions with longer cooldowns would be my general preference, even if the primary entertainment from #1 for me was "see how fast you could beeline the entire thing from scratch".

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Mailer posted:

5:10 to do season 2. It was fun enough (ignoring an extra hour of crashes) that I'm in for season 3. Wound up with an A explorer and A multitool, with an S fighter I'll never use but picked up just in case. Was not spoiled on the easter egg and was pleasantly surprised.

Yeah just wrapped this up right around 6 hours. Pretty fun all around and some of that was figuring/remembering poo poo again. Inventory management is still a bit of a pain but I imagine getting a maxed out exosuit and ships would help considerably with this. This is a pretty good way to start a run if only because of how many free expansion slots you get.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah just wrapped this up right around 6 hours. Pretty fun all around and some of that was figuring/remembering poo poo again. Inventory management is still a bit of a pain but I imagine getting a maxed out exosuit and ships would help considerably with this. This is a pretty good way to start a run if only because of how many free expansion slots you get.

Yeah my advice for a friend just starting was to play a half hour or so of regular to get the basic crafting and getting your ship in the air tutorial, then swap to expedition mode.
Season 1, you could even skip that regular save step, but I feel the planet without oxygen where they expect you to figure out to use an exocraft is a bit much, or freighter warping is a bit much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
Is there any trick to completing the "find a stranded explorer"? I've done about 10 distress inventory items, but I just get abandoned buildings and ships with dead pilots.