Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

finally took care of the only two bad apples involved

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ny...tpiy-story.html

quote:

Two federal correctional officers accused of sleeping on the job and browsing the internet the night Jeffrey Epstein hanged himself will dodge jail time under a proposed deal with prosecutors.

already seeing some factual errors in this story

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
They don't even name the right guy, that was Epstine and he's still alive

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Thread posted:

They don't even name the right guy, that was Epstine and he's still alive

The name was part of the falsified records

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Today I learned that Jeff bezos grandfather founded DARPA

Amazon’s Jeff Bezos honors Cuban dad’s journey to U.S. in social media videos

“As a refugee, when you leave, you’re always thinking that you can go back,” recalled the senior Bezos,73, in the video.

He was 16 and didn’t know English in 1962 when he came to Miami without his family as part of Operation Peter Pan.

“His family sent him here because under Fidel Castro, they felt like they had to, to protect him,” said Jeff Bezos, adding that his grandfather owned a lumber mill and the government was “nationalizing businesses and everything was changing.”

Operation Peter Pan

"As a result of the new social order, rumors began to swirl, originating from both inside the United States and other anti-Castro media. Various outlets, including Miami’s own Miami Herald and Time Magazine, reported that Castro and his followers intended to terminate parental rights, assume custody of all Cuban children, prohibit religion and indoctrinate them into communism.[1] The CIA-backed Radio Swan station asserted that the Cuban government was planning to remove children from their parents and send them to the Soviet Union. Though all of these claims lacked evidence and the Cuban revolutionaries repeatedly denied all claims, the damage had already been done."

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Laterite posted:

"As a result of the new social order, rumors began to swirl, originating from both inside the United States and other anti-Castro media. Various outlets, including Miami’s own Miami Herald and Time Magazine, reported that Castro and his followers intended to terminate parental rights, assume custody of all Cuban children, prohibit religion and indoctrinate them into communism.[1] The CIA-backed Radio Swan station asserted that the Cuban government was planning to remove children from their parents and send them to the Soviet Union. Though all of these claims lacked evidence and the Cuban revolutionaries repeatedly denied all claims, the damage had already been done."

It's funny because liberalism has done infinitely more damage to the traditional family structure than communism has.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

this is the grandfather
https://littlesis.org/person/144268-Lawrence_Preston_Gise

Jeff Bezos is the literal child of the US empire. Being descended from both a Cuban expat and a DARPA founder almost seems like a selective breeding program.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

next youll be telling me gus grissom really is obamas grandad

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

gradenko_2000 posted:

Jeffrey Epstein

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

you think these guys are looking around at the murderers surrounding them right now wondering when it's their turn?

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

I think that was already part of the story iirc. they claimed that's why nobody saw him do anything on the 15 minute check-ins, because the guards falsified those check-ins. IIRC

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Atrocious Joe posted:

this is the grandfather
https://littlesis.org/person/144268-Lawrence_Preston_Gise

Jeff Bezos is the literal child of the US empire. Being descended from both a Cuban expat and a DARPA founder almost seems like a selective breeding program.

Kojima still doesnt miss

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

StashAugustine posted:

Kojima still doesnt miss

which game discusses this?? I’ll watch a let’s play.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1tyybVuSBU

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lol

lmao

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

taqueso posted:

I dunno about that NSA connection unless it is more specific than generic crypto*, but spies like the idea of anonymous (or so people said/say...) money more than the average person and probably were early adopters. If it was an actual funded program by some gov group they probably have a ton of coins. NSA could apply a shitload of hardware if they wanted to.

* I'd absolutely believe NSA created BC but I haven't really seen any evidence beyond they are good at crypto. Would love to see anything people have though.
I think there's decent evidence pointing to Paul Le Roux at the top candidate for Satoshi.

gradenko_2000 posted:

is there any deeper rabbit hole to the Philadelphia Experiment?
The Office of Naval Research funded an experiment to try to use high power electromagnetic fields to bend light around ships and crew were given health screenings to make sure the high energy tests didn't cause any harm; It didn't work and the crew members were unharmed. Ships were routinely degaussed to remove accumulated permanent magnetic fields and render them "invisible" to magnetically fused mines; this did work. Eyewitness accounts were relayed by Carl Allen, who often sent letters describing fanciful tales of the paranormal to UFO researchers, likely based on schizophrenic delusions.

ONR is kind of like what DARPA was described as a few pages ago, if someone tells them they can do something militarily useful, they'll throw some money at it and see if it works. The Philadelphia Experiment is a mashup of delusions, successful tech trials, and unsuccessful tech trials.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Admittedly I don't always keep up with the thread but how is this the first time imt hearing of Paul le roux

nut
Jul 30, 2019

just wanted to look a bit more into mkultra involvement in the expeditions that led to the popularization of shrooms and lol at this insane site

Wasson is an incredible story, tho. Successful JP Morgan banker turning mycologist in 1927 after eating wild mushrooms in Russia on his honeymoon.

Marzzle
Dec 1, 2004

Bursting with flavor

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1396119929255088130

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

it's so weird how dersh continually has a platform to spew disinformation. I mean it's not weird and I understand why it keeps happening but still... what the gently caress.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

i think i just threw up in my mouth a little

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

nut posted:

just wanted to look a bit more into mkultra involvement in the expeditions that led to the popularization of shrooms and lol at this insane site

Wasson is an incredible story, tho. Successful JP Morgan banker turning mycologist in 1927 after eating wild mushrooms in Russia on his honeymoon.

What site is that?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Qm0VSkXKAY

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

it's so weird how dersh continually has a platform to spew disinformation. I mean it's not weird and I understand why it keeps happening but still... what the gently caress.

:haibrow:

Epstein hooked him up with so *so much* compromising information

it's the only explanation

Excelzior has issued a correction as of 18:15 on May 22, 2021

nut
Jul 30, 2019

https://webbrain.com/brainpage/brain/6FBA86B0-0C57-9FCA-5CF9-D742DA541AAA

lol I didn't even notice the scroll bars on the sides and top

nut
Jul 30, 2019

when i say it's insane i mean it owns in both good and bad ways

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Riot Bimbo posted:

It's almost like the federal apparatus is completely 100% unsalvageable and a good majority of individual state apparatus are headed that way if not already there.

Like i don't feel like it's unreasonable to say, "we need to throw the whole thing out" is the only concievable moral option.

When Alaric sacked Rome, he did it to a similarly mollified dysfunctional state that had levelled incredible cruelty upon his people, so it's really a matter of time before debts accrued come due for us similarly.

Im on the fence about whether I want it to happen in my lifetime

Why are you on the fence about living under child raping billionaires pillaging and commodifying every aspect of reality at the expense of humanity’s survival?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Demon Semen posted:

Why are you on the fence about living under child raping billionaires pillaging and commodifying every aspect of reality at the expense of humanity’s survival?

On a personal level? I'm a pretty damaged human trying to heal, and the most significant means by which this happens for me, requires a complex supply chain to deliver me an injectable form of hormones that's mainly the sole bulwark between me and wanting to loving die 24/7.

It's not up to me, if it happens it happens, but like, when I imagine myself pushing the button, I remember it probably means that success means at least temporary, possibly permanent loss of hormones, that makes survival in any situation fundamentally, and significantly, harder to do.

Yeah, it's really self centered. I think i'd still prefer things actually get better, but it makes me second guess whether i want to be alive for it.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

new berkowitz doc on netflix actually goes into the process church :monocle:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

is that the process that genesis p'orridge and nivek ogre were into or a different one?

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

had to google those folks but after a glance, yeah most likely

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

wow all that time as a teen adding an extra e to the and spelling of ov. who knew I was enabling a secret pedo cabal

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

process church is an awfully large node on my personal brokebrain cork board.

id totally recommend this thing to the thread sons of sam on netflix

we are all of us here maury terry

The Saucer Hovers has issued a correction as of 21:35 on May 22, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/DanBoeckner/status/1396218676462956550?s=20

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

facts matter is not a good hashtag for defending the cia

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

The Voice of Labor posted:

is that the process that genesis p'orridge and nivek ogre were into or a different one?

Sigil to the will
Give the mind before which is a function of the self to react
And this focusing releases a tremendous energy

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Jose posted:

Admittedly I don't always keep up with the thread but how is this the first time imt hearing of Paul le roux
i don't know if he has any connection to the epstein ring, but he was the author of truecrypt and then went into the business of mail order pharmacy, using that as a stepping off point to become an outright dark web drug lord.

nut posted:

https://webbrain.com/brainpage/brain/6FBA86B0-0C57-9FCA-5CF9-D742DA541AAA

lol I didn't even notice the scroll bars on the sides and top

that's ... quite something

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

I cannot wait for the Last Podcast On the Left series on Buttigeig after a bunch of male sex workers are found nailed to corkboards on his basement walls.

nut
Jul 30, 2019

Real hurthling! posted:

facts matter is not a good hashtag for defending the cia

Ironically, I'd argue it's a perfect hashtag. I've been reading Stuart Ewen's work on advertising in the 20s as a means of socially producing happy consumers from tired and sick workers and one of the big names pushing the movement was Edward A. Filene, on behalf of mass industrialism.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Edward-A-Filene

Britannica posted:

From the beginning of the century, Filene, a lifelong Democrat, took an active interest in public affairs, promoting various causes during the Progressive era and the New Deal. He pioneered the formation of credit unions as democratic loan institutions; he organized the Cooperative League (1919), which later became the Twentieth Century Fund, a fact-finding research organization and agency for socioeconomic reform; and he organized the Consumer Distribution Corporation (1935), designed to encourage consumer cooperatives. He helped to found the Chamber of Commerce of the United States in 1912 but broke with the national organization in 1936, claiming that it was a tool of unenlightened businessmen.

I highlighted fact-finding because that was a hallmark of Filene's approach (but his definition of facts differs from the usual or at least the usual for this thread). He sought advertising as an educational program to endow in consumers, among other things, the perspective of approaching the world as just a constant output of facts that you can analyze and act on. The advantage of this approach is that by focusing on the output alone, we would ignore the social basis upon which these facts develop. A consequence (intended or not) of this would be that workers who were already facing positive reform, including shorter worker days and (much more slowly) more pay, would spend their time and money solving the facts of life through consumerism instead of questioning the underlying system of power that solidified the class struggle.

From Pioneers in Marketing by Edward Filene and his brother Lincoln

Anyways, long story short, I'd argue that the CIA operates entirely on facts while ignoring the social circumstances that led to them. Believe and analyze the fact that this detainee admitted to the existence of a domestic terrorist cell, ignore the circumstances we kept him under for weeks before he said it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut
Jul 30, 2019

drat, i just nabbed that britannica paragraph to give a bio of Filene but even in just that tiny paragraph you can see how influential he was in herding economically "freed" labourers into the nationalism of consumers