Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

adoration for none posted:

My understanding of the tragedy of the commons is that it was an excuse to justify enclosure of common land es decir: these peasants don't know how to care of their land, better these rich capitalists take it instead!

E: and really it continues to be an excuse for "enclosure" of other common goods

Seems exactly the same as the arguments used to justify US manifest destiny: the natives clearly aren't able to effectively exploit their land so Europeans have the right to kill them and take the land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Rah! posted:

There are tons of apartment buildings on the west side too, it's not all single family homes. Multiple 5+ story buildings have been built in the western half of SF in the past several years (should've been way more of course), and many more were built back in the day before current zoning was implemented. There's also dozens of midrises and highrises under construction in a single development on the west side, in park merced (which already had several high rise buildings before the new construction, as does neighboring SFSU...it's that multicolored area on the southwest corner of the map).

I'm in Park Merced. The development plan has approval for 5,290 new units, mostly in new towers, over about 25 years now. These units are approved, but permits have not been issued. I think they've got funding problems. The first wave of new towers is supposed to include a pair on open space next to my building. Construction was supposed to start two years ago and they haven't even done a final survey. Post-Covid I doubt they get funding to break ground. I'd lose my view due West from the fire escape (gorgeous at Sunset), but having some light retail and a couple of restaurants next door would be nice.

The long-term plan calls for replacing many of the "garden city" units with towers. They're terrible for density, but make for a great lifestyle and keep a lot of green in the city. What they are are small two-story, 2BR, 1 BA attached units. All of the units on a block surround a central lawn, with trees around the edges for shade. All the units get a back patio space and access to the common green. They look like a lovely place to hang out out back with a grill, and you could raise 2 kids in one of those units with a lot of space for outdoor play. Your success is based on how well you get along with your neighbors, but this is a city, it always will.

I don't think we'll see more units out here than we already have. It's 3,221 units on 152 acres and it's likely to stay that way for a long time.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Shear Modulus posted:

Seems exactly the same as the arguments used to justify US manifest destiny: the natives clearly aren't able to effectively exploit their land so Europeans have the right to kill them and take the land.

this is my understanding of Gerald Horne's big idea: that settler colonialism, including slavery, isn't really separate from capitalism or imperialism, it's all the same family of techniques of accumulation, first used for the internal colonization of europe, then are re-applied everywhere else.

e: this has reminded me to actually read his books. thanks, california thread.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Rah! posted:

in SF's case those western neighborhoods are over 50% asian

used to be turbo whitey land, but not for a few decades now

also a lot of those single family homes in SF have additional in-law units on the ground floor, so they have more than one family living in them. But why have just two households on that lot when you could have more :getin:

Those in-law units loving suck. I was looking for housing in Daly City a couple years ago and toured a few of them. One or two were pretty decent, and several were dank cramped pits. I've got a friend living in the Sunset right now who's in one of three ground-floor in-law units that are each less than 200 sq. ft. It's not a good way to live, to say nothing about how the upstairs landlord might conceive of their rights to control the affairs of their tenants.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ProperGanderPusher posted:

Granny flats are the loving pits. My now wife lived in one. No internet hookups, wasn’t allowed to have a subtenant despite it having two bedrooms, landlord showed up regularly with no notice to access the water meter and breaker, etc. You have reduced rights as a tenant because you’re technically living in someone else’s single family house.

Kenning posted:

Those in-law units loving suck. I was looking for housing in Daly City a couple years ago and toured a few of them. One or two were pretty decent, and several were dank cramped pits. I've got a friend living in the Sunset right now who's in one of three ground-floor in-law units that are each less than 200 sq. ft. It's not a good way to live, to say nothing about how the upstairs landlord might conceive of their rights to control the affairs of their tenants.

Yeah i know they suck i used to live in one lol. Negligent creep landlord, lovely DIY wiring that would shock me, got flooded with sewage twice, nonstop mouse and rat problems, and every other unit in the building were Air BnBs that often had disrespectful guests (love it when people piss out of the window and pile garbage in the hallway and stomp on the floors at 5am lol)

My point was that when it comes to single family homes in SF, a ton of them are not actually single family homes.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

mllaneza posted:

I'm in Park Merced. The development plan has approval for 5,290 new units, mostly in new towers, over about 25 years now. These units are approved, but permits have not been issued. I think they've got funding problems. The first wave of new towers is supposed to include a pair on open space next to my building. Construction was supposed to start two years ago and they haven't even done a final survey. Post-Covid I doubt they get funding to break ground. I'd lose my view due West from the fire escape (gorgeous at Sunset), but having some light retail and a couple of restaurants next door would be nice.

drat that sucks, seeing as we need all the housing we can get. At least you still have your sunset view for now though.

I used to live near there, but moved to Oakland 5 years ago, and haven't been by park merced since. I remember reading back then how construction was just about to start...i figured they must have built at least a couple of the smaller midrises by now.

fuckin america lol

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

adoration for none posted:

My understanding of the tragedy of the commons is that it was an excuse to justify enclosure of common land es decir: these peasants don't know how to care of their land, better these rich capitalists take it instead!
Historically, not really. 'Tragedy of the commons' as a term/idiom is from the 1830s, enclosure was like 1400-1600s. The idiom is from a later economist guy making stuff up about what he imagined happened with village commons without doing any actual historical research.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 22, 2021

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Foxfire_ posted:

economist guy making stuff up about what he imagined happened with village commons without doing any actual historical research.

but you already said he was an economist

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Literally how economists work.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The entire idea of barter was made up by economists, prominently Adam Smith. That's how deep the rabbit hole goes.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
yes we’ll I’m sure they’re right about pragmatic, common sense, market-based solutions to housing though!!!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Guess I was lucky, I lived in an in law unit that was above a detached garage and it was great. Cheaper than an apartment of the same size in the area, had its own air conditioning and the landlord had a repeater so I could just use his wifi. Biggest problem was when the fan motor went out on the AC during the summer but the landlord took care of it immediately. The landlord also had a playful retriever and it was like all the fun parts of owning a dog without any of the actual work.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Still Dismal posted:

https://twitter.com/mnolangray/status/1392647001959927810

My ideal solution would be: add X number of units by date Y (with minimum % affordable) or lose your land use authority for 10 years.

Coronado is poo poo and should be hammered for their opposition to new affordable housing but there's still a fundamental problem with trying to build new anything on that damned island: it's pretty much all built over. The remaining open space is parks and a golf course, and with the opposition you'd get to building over those you might as well just build new land somewhere on the Silver Strand instead. Or if you already have enough political clout to steamroll the city about this just going ahead and seizing existing vacant houses to give to the poor is more efficient.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 06:54 on May 23, 2021

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020

Foxfire_ posted:

'tragedy of the commons' as shorthand for individual actors wrecking much larger common things is still a thing

Before this thread, I'd never heard it applied to village commons, even to explain the concept. Now, I know the term was invented to slander peasants. The more you know.

Rah! posted:

Yeah i know they suck i used to live in one lol. Negligent creep landlord, lovely DIY wiring that would shock me, got flooded with sewage twice, nonstop mouse and rat problems, and every other unit in the building were Air BnBs that often had disrespectful guests (love it when people piss out of the window and pile garbage in the hallway and stomp on the floors at 5am lol)

My point was that when it comes to single family homes in SF, a ton of them are not actually single family homes.

Abstractly, ADUs are good. Personally, my broken brain imagines that they are so popular among homevoters because they'll let each and every homevoter have a serf they can make do corvee yardwork for them.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

withak posted:

Literally how economists work.

Literally not at all how economists work, but conservatives have been so good at pretending that their hack political yes-men are actually mainstream economists that even internet leftists are suckered in at this point.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/sruuaw/status/1396911198205972486?s=20

https://twitter.com/sruuaw/status/1396912579604189184?s=20

https://twitter.com/LaurenKGurley/status/1396922644017160196?s=20

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Awesome

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
someone photoshop the fat cop gassing those seated students so that those boxes are the cop and he's teargassing janet napolitano and that cop

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Hell yeah, I remember reading about the Santa Cruz wildcat strikes so hopefully this unionization swiftly results in much better pay and working conditions.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
This seems like good news. It's a start, and I hope to see more. Offshore wind turbines look super futuristic and I hope that future walks along the seawall will feature lovely views of the offshore turbines whirling away like silent giants in the fog.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/26/california-windfarms-coast-biden-administration

quote:

California could launch the west coast’s first commercial offshore windfarms
The state and the Biden administration have agreed to open federal waters off central and northern coasts to new windfarms

California has taken a major step towards launching the first commercial offshore wind energy program on the west coast, a project that would open the state’s waters to hundreds of floating turbines and could eventually power 1.6m homes.

The state announced an agreement with the US government on Tuesday that would open federal waters off California’s central and northern coasts to new windfarms, and put the state and the country in a better position to meet ambitious climate targets.

“California, as we all know, has a world class offshore wind resource, and it can play a major role in helping to accelerate California’s and the nation’s transition to clean energy,” said Gina McCarthy, the White House’s national climate adviser.

The new projects, if approved and built, would provide a major expansion of offshore wind power in the US. Currently, there are just two working offshore windfarms – off Block Island in Rhode Island and off Virginia – but more than two dozen others are in development.

The announcement is part of Joe Biden’s plan to create 30 gigawatts of offshore wind energy by 2030. California separately set a goal to produce all electricity by 2045 through renewable energy resources and zero-carbon generating facilities. The plan includes floating 380 windmills across a nearly 400 sq-mile (1,035 sq km) expanse of roughly 250,000 acres north-west of Morro Bay.

The agreement comes two weeks after the Biden administration announced a $3bn project off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard in Massachusetts that would power 400,000 homes with 84 turbines. Another proposed project, Ocean Wind, off New Jersey would create 1,100-megawatts of power. Those windfarms would be dwarfed by the scale of the California projects.

The California windfarms would produce a combined 4.6 gigawatts, with the Morro Bay operation providing two-thirds of that output.

State officials have spent years trying to advance plans for wind development and California’s governor, Gavin Newsom, noted that the Trump administration inhibited those efforts. He praised the plan, saying that developing offshore wind would be a “gamechanger to achieving California’s clean energy goals and addressing climate change”, and promised to expedite the state’s environmental review process to hasten production. He also said he included $20m in his revised budget proposal this month to invest in the project.

“We value process but not the paralysis of a process that takes years and years and years that can be done in a much more focused way,” Newsom said.

The US has lagged behind Europe on developing offshore wind power, and advocates of the plan have cited their successes as examples. But the plan is not without opposition and key obstacles remain.

For one, the Pacific Ocean is far deeper than the Atlantic, where infrastructure can be built directly on to the seafloor. California’s wind energy will have to rely on floating turbines, and the technology is still fairly new.

Fishermen are also concerned that construction and operation of projects on this scale could disrupt the ecosystem. They claim that they were not consulted on the impact the locations could have on their industry.

“We feel we’ve not been invited to have a seat at the table. We feel we’re on the menu,” said Mike Conroy, the executive director of the Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen’s Associations.

The area off Morro Bay is a fishery for tuna and sword fish and he is concerned that the floating turbines could change migratory patterns of whales and other species. If blue and humpback whales, for example, are forced closer to shore, it could bring closures of Dungeness crab fishing.

Opposition is also expected from coastal property owners who have expressed dismay over the impact floating turbines may have on their ocean views – and ultimately their property values.

The project is expected to take years to establish, as the interior department’s Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, which oversees this kind of development, will process and respond to public feedback on the plan.

But, some of those hurdles have already been handled. The Department of Defense, which pushed back against California’s attempts to develop a wind energy program in the area for years, due to its use of the area for training and operations, is now on board.

Environmental groups, including Audubon and the Natural Resources Defense Council, which have expressed concerns about how the plan could impact wildlife, also issued statements in support of the project with the caveat that fish, seabirds and marine mammals are protected.

The Environmental Defense Center, which was founded in Santa Barbara after a massive offshore oil spill in 1969, echoed that sentiment, calling for minimal harm to species and coastal communities.

With support from those groups, the Department of the Interior plans to finalize the site next month, and could open leasing by next year.

“Today’s announcement reflects months of active engagement and dedication between partners who are committed to advancing a clean energy future,” said the US interior secretary, Deb Haaland, in a statement. “The offshore wind industry has the potential to create tens of thousands of good-paying union jobs across the nation, while combating the negative effects of climate change.”

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Morro Bay being twenty minutes from me in SLO entitles me to say, "gently caress you and your property values, lol"

Who wants to look out at a boring, featureless horizon? Not me! I grew up in Santa Barbara and am maybe the one person who actually liked the twinkle of the oil rigs. Why not have the twinkle of some fan blades out there?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

CPColin posted:

Morro Bay being twenty minutes from me in SLO entitles me to say, "gently caress you and your property values, lol"

Who wants to look out at a boring, featureless horizon? Not me! I grew up in Santa Barbara and am maybe the one person who actually liked the twinkle of the oil rigs. Why not have the twinkle of some fan blades out there?

I second that notion.

An urbanized first world environment has no room for "oh no my views" if adding offshore wind can do so much good. The way I see it, your exclusive access to your exclusive views means that the number of people who give a poo poo about a ruined view is going to be exclusively you. Maybe I might care more if it's a public beach or a public overlook.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

That's kinda far out, is it even going to be visible there? 32.7 nautical miles is 37.6 miles. Granted there are closer points but extra gently caress anyone who is worried about views given how far out they're looking to build it.

edit: the reason that 32.7 nmi line is drawn is that is gonna be the cable connecting it to the electrical substation

fermun fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 27, 2021

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
It's going to be the people highest up on the hillsides who whine the loudest and even they'll barely be able to see anything.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

sb hermit posted:

I second that notion.

An urbanized first world environment has no room for "oh no my views" if adding offshore wind can do so much good. The way I see it, your exclusive access to your exclusive views means that the number of people who give a poo poo about a ruined view is going to be exclusively you. Maybe I might care more if it's a public beach or a public overlook.

Yeah exactly this. The correct response to anyone whining about their private view being ruined by wind farms, apartments or anything else that serves a purpose other than being pretty is scorn.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DrSunshine posted:

This seems like good news. It's a start, and I hope to see more. Offshore wind turbines look super futuristic and I hope that future walks along the seawall will feature lovely views of the offshore turbines whirling away like silent giants in the fog.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2021/may/26/california-windfarms-coast-biden-administration

Wait, America has 2 offshore wind sites? That's pitiful, less than Scotland.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

sb hermit posted:

I second that notion.

Unfortunately California is full of temporarily embarrassed millionaires who want to preserve that view for when they totally get around to having one for themselves.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Yeah "oh no my views not wind turbines" anywhere from LA to SB is hilarious because it's endless oil rigs already

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
We've got a sect of NIMBY's in town who complain any time the City Council talks about building up in downtown SLO. Most of the buildings are only two stories and we had a developer back out of a mixed-use project because they couldn't get an exemption to make a five-story building. The reason? The tall building would block the view of the surrounding countryside. Downtown is like two blocks wide. Literally just walk for three minutes. The view being talked about was from a parking lot. Aaaaaaaggg

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Jaxyon posted:

Yeah "oh no my views not wind turbines" anywhere from LA to SB is hilarious because it's endless oil rigs already

Just build the turbines on top of the oil rigs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Wait, America has 2 offshore wind sites? That's pitiful, less than Scotland.

Well, we also have a shitload of onshore windfarms, including the second largest in the world. We have more windfarm sites than anywhere else although China has more total capacity.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

FCKGW posted:

Well, we also have a shitload of onshore windfarms, including the second largest in the world. We have more windfarm sites than anywhere else although China has more total capacity.
Scotland also has more total capacity (9347 MW vs 5983 MW)

(Offshore in particular is much harder to build in California than Scotland because the Pacific is much deeper than the Atlantic. Most of Scotland's are built on the sea floor)

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 20:38 on May 27, 2021

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!

sb hermit posted:

I second that notion.

I don't get why people think wind turbines ruin the view. If anything, they drastically improve the view.

It's like how a sky with a few clouds floating around is more interesting and scenic than a featureless blue sky.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Boat Stuck posted:

I don't get why people think wind turbines ruin the view. If anything, they drastically improve the view.

It's like how a sky with a few clouds floating around is more interesting and scenic than a featureless blue sky.

The kind of people who are rich enough to afford coastal views in most of the US also want to control everything and have absolute dominion.

See also them being mad that public people can use public property(beaches) anywhere near their land.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Boat Stuck posted:

sir are you saying you have better information than the former president of the united states

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1113275050105483269?s=20

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Cancermills go brrrrrr

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Boat Stuck posted:

Undisrupted natural vistas are more aesthetically appealing to a lot of people than natural vistas plus human intrusions. People retreat to nature for a reason. That doesn't mean we should ban wind farms, we need that renewable energy, especially since we no longer give the slightest consideration to nuclear, but there is merit to choosing their location carefully.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Simulated view of the proposed project from shore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucMi_3qdnfg&t=537s

:clutches pearls frantically:

(e: nighttime ones are very slightly more legit, they have red lights to mark them for ships that are visible)

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 27, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Kestral posted:

Undisrupted natural vistas are more aesthetically appealing to a lot of people than natural vistas plus human intrusions. People retreat to nature for a reason. That doesn't mean we should ban wind farms, we need that renewable energy, especially since we no longer give the slightest consideration to nuclear, but there is merit to choosing their location carefully.

I'm not denying that the argument exists. But I feel that any expectation to have an unblemished view should be considered to be entirely unrealistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
https://twitter.com/reporterclaudia/status/1398020183764000770

Hell of a thing to roll out in the middle of a recall.