Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The vaccination program in general has been fearsomely efficient in my experience with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

jiggerypokery posted:

I don't think you need to go through A to get to B, or that A necessarily leads to B.

e: nevermind, bad analogy

I don't think that explicit hate is worse than what is happening now with the BBC which is just slightly veiled hate, both are awful.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Impartiality is too high a bar to set for a news organisation. There are no neutral sources. The BBC is the state broadcaster so its purpose is to support the interests of government. The interests of government have been closely aligned to the interests of the wealthy for a long time, so it's not surprising that BBC output now resembles other sources directly controlled by the wealthy. This explains why the BBC is seen as biased by the lunatic right as well as the left. Any political leaning is incidental. Granted it inevitably falls to the right because that's where the interests of wealth also lie, but not as heavily some clearly want.
Legislating impartiality for news organisations would totally backfire because it would make government the arbiter of what's neutral. All all outlets would have to become the BBC.

But- retaining it rather than tearing it down has three benefits.
1) Control of the BBC transfers with government which we can theoretically take over in a way we can't with, say, the Telegraph.
2) There are rare instances when the interests of government and the wealthy diverge. A good example was the Telegraph suppressing news of a government decision to oppose the merger of BSkyB and News Corp, which was then scooped by thread favourite Robert Peston, working at the BBC.
3) Peaky Blinders

A useful way to reform it would be to dispense with the license fee. It's a crap, regressive tax based on the antiquated idea that TV and radio are luxuries. So many avoid it that it makes a mockery of the law and enforcing it results in obscenely authoritarian behaviour. Nobody for a second falls for the charade that it allows the BBC independence from government, so lets drop the pretence and pay for it by general taxation.
While we're dropping pretences, let's stop being so sheepish about our national propaganda service. Dial the Britane up all the way and broadcast it all round the world. 2 minutes silence every hour. The intro and outro for everything is the national anthem. More lions. More unicorns. Live 24 hour field gun races. Absolutely no regional accents. Be the propaganda we want to be.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

The vaccination program in general has been fearsomely efficient in my experience with it.

They texted and emailed me last night to cancel my second vaccination. No idea why.

Link to rebook it.

I'm now having it 10 miles closer and almost a month earlier.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

They texted and emailed me last night to cancel my second vaccination. No idea why.

Link to rebook it.

Probably that whole surge vaccination thing because of the India variant?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

jiggerypokery posted:

I'd love to see polling on how modern republicans feel about it

ideologues and party leaders hate it, but FDR generally comes out in the top four of American presidents regardless in polls.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Meanwhile I'm legit thinking about putting in a formal complaint about one site I've volunteered at a couple of times now. First time I was there it was pissing down with rain and there was a 20+ person queue standing outside while vaccinators were standing idle inside because the admin people at the front desk were running an almost perversely inefficient system to get them booked in*

After what basically amounted to a revolt by the RVS volunteers, backed up by the clinical lead, we got the queue cleared, then the admin people had a little tantrum and just sent people straight in without even checking they were supposed to be there.

After a few words we** actually wrote out a really simple flow chart for the entire site to follow (it seems ridiculous that nobody had apparently thought to do this but whatever) and the whole thing hummed along for the rest of the day. Yesterday I happened to be passing and there was an even longer queue in the pissing rain. I've put in for another shift there next week and if they're back to their loving bullshit I will actually go off at someone.

* So basically all the vaccinator needs is an NHS number - like you say the backend *is* fearsomely efficient and that (and a paper or electronic signature) is all they need, everything's really well sorted IMO. The admin people, who were receptionists from a local GP, were making people fill out longhand versions of the forms that the system could already populate for them if they already had an appointment, and making them stand in the lobby, not letting anyone else in, to do so, so it was taking 5-10 minutes *per person* just to get them to the vaccinators, who completely ignored the forms apart from getting enough info to fill in the NHS number. We just gave them a seat inside to sit in while they filled it in, that's all that was needed.

** I say we, TBH a big chunk of it was me. It's frankly worrying for us as a species just how much power a confident-sounding white man can wield. It helps that one of my few actual skills is a kind of weaponised laziness that lets me look at any given system and come up with a way, way simpler way of doing it, something that's actually pretty handy when you're dealing with a lot of these smaller jerry-rigged vaccination sites. Just move a couple of chairs around and you can double the throughput, it's remarkable.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Link to rebook it.

I didn't think they'd do it retroactively but supposedly second doses are gonna be 8 weeks instead of 12.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

jiggerypokery posted:

Just what sort of guests are you expecting on GB news?

The Tories want the BBC gone because they want a television media that looks like the US, a country in which Tucker Carson has the highest ratings of any television host.

There are levels to normalised bigotry and just because things are bad doesn't mean they can't sink far deeper.

the difference is it isn't the 'impartial' state broadcaster spreading that I'm a literal monster, GB news isn't going to have anywhere near the credibility that BBC news does

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Meanwhile I'm legit thinking about putting in a formal complaint about one site I've volunteered at a couple of times now. First time I was there it was pissing down with rain and there was a 20+ person queue standing outside while vaccinators were standing idle inside because the admin people at the front desk were running an almost perversely inefficient system to get them booked in*

After what basically amounted to a revolt by the RVS volunteers, backed up by the clinical lead, we got the queue cleared, then the admin people had a little tantrum and just sent people straight in without even checking they were supposed to be there.

After a few words we** actually wrote out a really simple flow chart for the entire site to follow (it seems ridiculous that nobody had apparently thought to do this but whatever) and the whole thing hummed along for the rest of the day. Yesterday I happened to be passing and there was an even longer queue in the pissing rain. I've put in for another shift there next week and if they're back to their loving bullshit I will actually go off at someone.

* So basically all the vaccinator needs is an NHS number - like you say the backend *is* fearsomely efficient and that (and a paper or electronic signature) is all they need, everything's really well sorted IMO. The admin people, who were receptionists from a local GP, were making people fill out longhand versions of the forms that the system could already populate for them if they already had an appointment, and making them stand in the lobby, not letting anyone else in, to do so, so it was taking 5-10 minutes *per person* just to get them to the vaccinators, who completely ignored the forms apart from getting enough info to fill in the NHS number. We just gave them a seat inside to sit in while they filled it in, that's all that was needed.

** I say we, TBH a big chunk of it was me. It's frankly worrying for us as a species just how much power a confident-sounding white man can wield. It helps that one of my few actual skills is a kind of weaponised laziness that lets me look at any given system and come up with a way, way simpler way of doing it, something that's actually pretty handy when you're dealing with a lot of these smaller jerry-rigged vaccination sites. Just move a couple of chairs around and you can double the throughput, it's remarkable.

You have some very weird receptionists then because the place I went to was just "hi do you have an appointment" and I think it was either name or booking number and they just waved you through. It's never had a queue when anyone I know has been to it and you're in and out in 2 or 3 minutes.

I have my second at another place in a few weeks so we will see if they're as good.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

OwlFancier posted:

You have some very weird receptionists then because the place I went to was just "hi do you have an appointment" and I think it was either name or booking number and they just waved you through. It's never had a queue when anyone I know has been to it and you're in and out in 2 or 3 minutes.

I have my second at another place in a few weeks so we will see if they're as good.

my first dose I had to queue for over an hour

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

feedmegin posted:

It's not the Indian variant, haven't you heard?

Modi is a bigger narcissist than Trump, which I'm actually impressed by.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

kingturnip posted:

To be fair, as much as Modi is an absolute piece of poo poo, the "nationalising" virus variations is kind of a dumb trend & the way it gets covered by the press is almost inevitably going to end up with some bloke whose grandparents left Pakistan to come here decades ago getting assaulted out of fear of "the Indian variant"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I agree, Indian variant implicates a whole country. Call it BJP mismanagement variant.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

feedmegin posted:

My second dose text came through minutes after the announcement about the India variant. Rather confirmed the impression that they were making GBS threads themselves.
Both times we were streamed into red door/blue door before even entering the big tent based on GP referral or national scheme. Then it was verbal name and address at reception, walk over to a booth where a flunky types name and DOB into a laptop and then the sharp scratch. 2-3 minutes max.
AZ dose 2 gave me a sore arm for one day, if anyone's counting.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
No 10 ‘tried to block’ data on spread of new Covid variant in English schools.

Banana Monarchy.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I’ve had both doses and both were very efficient. There was a wait for 2 because they were processing many more people, but the throughput was impressive nonetheless.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

kingturnip posted:

I've helped out with the surge testing and to be fair we've been told not to call it the Indian variant. If a bunch of people turn up with lanyards, clipboards and government-issued testing kits for 'the Indian variant', it reinforces some people's prejudices. The WHO also recommends avoiding naming diseases after places or species, because people are horrible bloodthirsty monsters.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Lady Demelza posted:

I've helped out with the surge testing and to be fair we've been told not to call it the Indian variant. If a bunch of people turn up with lanyards, clipboards and government-issued testing kits for 'the Indian variant', it reinforces some people's prejudices. The WHO also recommends avoiding naming diseases after places or species, because people are horrible bloodthirsty monsters.

That's fair - it's no better than calling Covid the Chinese virus really. And we refused to name our variant British Death.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
problem is what do you call it? If you're trying to keep the public informed you can't call it varient 1N1BC-1UC1F3R. They'll never remember it.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Just came here from the Eurovision thread in GBS to tell everyone we got no points! :haw: :toot: :dance:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

The bigger the centre the less efficient, I've found. The smallest place I've been to (two jabbers, each with their own admin person, and a receptionist just ticking them off and handing out hand sanitiser and me sorting out the queues) got through the same amount of jabs per hour as the Science Museum with 6 jabbers and admin people, 4 receptionists, and 10 queue managers.

I've got my second jab booked at Excel so I'll be interested to see just how efficient (or not) that is.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 23, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

problem is what do you call it? If you're trying to keep the public informed you can't call it varient 1N1BC-1UC1F3R. They'll never remember it.

Do you need to give it a simple name? Can't you just talk about a new variation?

Alternatively name them after private schools so the hatred can go in the right direction

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Regarde Aduck posted:

"A variant of concern". In reality you rarely need to say anything, the people in areas with local outbreaks generally know why surge testing is being carried out.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jollity Farm posted:

Just came here from the Eurovision thread in GBS to tell everyone we got no points! :haw: :toot: :dance:

Didn't want to win it anyway.
Going to make our own song contest, Brexivision.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to Lozza, dressed as Clive of India, singing Roger Daltrey's rock-opera tribute to the East India Company on the main stage of Brexitfest (sponsored by Wetherspoons).

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Regarde Aduck posted:

I’d give them increasingly superlative names. We start with regular COVID, then it’s super COVID, then ultra, then hyper, then turbo etc etc.

Who wouldn’t want to see headlines like “Does the vaccine protect against the new Super Ultra COVID 2 Turbo EX Gaiden & Knuckles featuring Dante variant?”

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Regarde Aduck posted:

The 5318008 variant.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/isaysto/status/1395849146855313410

I don’t care if it’s real.

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.
https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1396214307227045890

What the gently caress?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

As someone who works in the industry the odd thing to me is that away from all the bluster and bullshit in the headlines the BBC is just quietly withering away and nobody seems that bothered about it. Ratings for BBC1 primetime are appalling. It consistently loses almost every slot every night apart from the local news. Saturday nights when Strictly isn’t on are a ratings disaster.

The simple fact is that when we are approaching a point where prime time shows struggle to get 2 million people - i.e an appalling 3% of the population - the argument for a universal levy on ownership of a television set just evaporates - whatever side of the political spectrum you are on.

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

this'll make him jump 20 points up. It's like a reverse scandal lmao

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

PawParole posted:

this'll make him jump 20 points up. It's like a reverse scandal lmao

Ofc, he might have missed important meetigns but it's cause he's a hard worker like the rest of us.
Luvv are boris.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Does the world even need another biography of Shakespeare?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Trickyjabs/status/1396110034317180928?s=19

Filing a massive bag of coke under "Takeaway" in my expenses form.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jollity Farm posted:

I've not watched it since they collaborated with the state police in Azerbaijan and intimidated Armenians, but if this is what it takes for the UK to withdraw from that whole shitshow...

Regarde Aduck posted:

Name it after heads of state.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gonzo McFee posted:

https://twitter.com/Trickyjabs/status/1396110034317180928?s=19

Filing a massive bag of coke under "Takeaway" in my expenses form.

Thinking about this he'd basically have to order a three course restaurant meal for him and Carrie every single day. Or a smaller fancier meal. Learn to cook, man.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

A Scottish boxer was involved in a title fight in Las Vegas last night and it has gotten such little coverage that I'm amazed. It was a fight between a former Commonwealth gold medallist who held 2 of the big 4 world titles and was undefeated against an American who was an Olympian, had the other 2 World titles and was also undefeated.

And I didn't know it was happening until about 6 hours before the broadcast started. It wasn't on British TV & there's been nothing about the fact that there's a British Undisputed World Champion for the first time in the 4 belt era & the first time since Lennox Lewis was stripped of one of his titles in 2000.

I know boxing isn't what it once was but surely that's worth mentioning in the news headlines?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

stev posted:

Thinking about this he'd basically have to order a three course restaurant meal for him and Carrie every single day. Or a smaller fancier meal. Learn to cook, man.

He doesn't even need to learn to cook, there's two restaurants in the Cabinet Office that the PM (and Chancellor, and their staff) can order food from at cost price. Besides I'm fairly certain La Gavroche isn't on Deliveroo, and he's actually ordering from certain "takeaways" in Vauxhall (allegedly!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Is it one of those takeaways where you order something with 'extra hot sauce' and they include wraps of heroin?