Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

A Scottish boxer was involved in a title fight in Las Vegas last night and it has gotten such little coverage that I'm amazed. It was a fight between a former Commonwealth gold medallist who held 2 of the big 4 world titles and was undefeated against an American who was an Olympian, had the other 2 World titles and was also undefeated.

And I didn't know it was happening until about 6 hours before the broadcast started. It wasn't on British TV & there's been nothing about the fact that there's a British Undisputed World Champion for the first time in the 4 belt era & the first time since Lennox Lewis was stripped of one of his titles in 2000.

I know boxing isn't what it once was but surely that's worth mentioning in the news headlines?

Nobody gives a poo poo about all the weird weight classes that sprouted during the 80s so Don King could have 15 different world titles - the only light-welterweights anyone's ever heard of are former lightweight champions who couldn't make weight or slowed down too much and were on their way up to middleweight for one last pay packet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

A Scottish boxer was involved in a title fight in Las Vegas last night and it has gotten such little coverage that I'm amazed. It was a fight between a former Commonwealth gold medallist who held 2 of the big 4 world titles and was undefeated against an American who was an Olympian, had the other 2 World titles and was also undefeated.

And I didn't know it was happening until about 6 hours before the broadcast started. It wasn't on British TV & there's been nothing about the fact that there's a British Undisputed World Champion for the first time in the 4 belt era & the first time since Lennox Lewis was stripped of one of his titles in 2000.

I know boxing isn't what it once was but surely that's worth mentioning in the news headlines?

It's the headline all over the sports section of the BBC just now? Non heavyweight titles always attract less coverage and with the way boxing is syndicated its hard to cover until its over for a lot of press. I couldn't find highlights even now.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
loving hell 115 quid a day would buy me so much curry they wouldn't need to deliver it, just toss it out the window and let gravity do the rest

accretion disc made of garlic naan

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

stev posted:

Thinking about this he'd basically have to order a three course restaurant meal for him and Carrie every single day. Or a smaller fancier meal. Learn to cook, man.

Needs to learn about Lidl or Aldi tbh

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Big Dinners Johnson.

He's Eating Out to Help Out and setting an example for the nation :britain:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

This strikes me like the 'cardboard models of buses' in that he's caught scrambling for some kind of 'what do normal people do in their free time?' excuse and makes up a hilarious lie.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This strikes me like the 'cardboard models of buses' in that he's caught scrambling for some kind of 'what do normal people do in their free time?' excuse and makes up a hilarious lie.

Remember, they weren't cardboard, they were made from wine crates, because he couldn't just say he lazed about all day getting incredibly pissed

E: Didn't watch the Eurovision but I'm glad these traditions live on

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1396403554936672256?s=19

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 23, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aramoro posted:

It's the headline all over the sports section of the BBC just now? Non heavyweight titles always attract less coverage and with the way boxing is syndicated its hard to cover until its over for a lot of press. I couldn't find highlights even now.

I hadn't looked at the website, was going off 6Music's headlines.

I know Heavyweight attracts the most attention because people like KOs and the weight class is a bit daft but you're telling me a unified Champion isn't a big deal? Ah well, hope Taylor gets his due if he steps up to face Crawford, though winning that would be a huge ask.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo about all the weird weight classes that sprouted during the 80s so Don King could have 15 different world titles - the only light-welterweights anyone's ever heard of are former lightweight champions who couldn't make weight or slowed down too much and were on their way up to middleweight for one last pay packet.

Also there's 4 (?) different organisations now that each have all those weight classes.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

forkboy84 posted:

I know Heavyweight attracts the most attention because people like KOs and the weight class is a bit daft but you're telling me a unified Champion isn't a big deal? Ah well, hope Taylor gets his due if he steps up to face Crawford, though winning that would be a huge ask.
Doesn't Heavyweight get all the attention because if you abolished weight classes, the guys who'd world champion would still be the heavyweight end of the scale? Popular interest is always massively disproportionately towards whatever league/tier/division/other that contains the individuals/teams that would win any match-up.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Except competitive shooting, where a gender division was introduced because the women kept winning, but popular interest is still massively disproportionately towards the men's events.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pablo Bluth posted:

Doesn't Heavyweight get all the attention because if you abolished weight classes, the guys who'd world champion would still be the heavyweight end of the scale? Popular interest is always massively disproportionately towards whatever league/tier/division/other that contains the individuals/teams that would win any match-up.

see also: women's sports.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

You all need to get into ultra endurance running if you want a level playing field.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Nobody wants to watch a couple of tiny lil guys boxing lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

I hadn't looked at the website, was going off 6Music's headlines.

It's always been that way - heavyweight's always going to be the blue riband event just because it's most accessible to non-fans, then lightweight for the true heads. Middleweight kinda comes in and out of vogue as it seesaws between the two in terms of style (and for me has always been the most interesting class just for that reason - any division that's had both Jake LaMotta and Oscar De La Hoya as world champions is worth keeping an eye on). The inbetween categories - especially light/super - are never going to get that level of fame because it's so much more lucrative for fighters to move to the nearest of that big three, which is what keeps those big three lucrative, and so on.

What's actually happened is that boxing is now way less popular than it once was - MMA has taken a huge amount of its hype, and the completely opaque and self-serving ranking and championship format turns off both casual followers (who just want to know "winner of this fight is best") and the former big fans who can see just how manipulated the ladder is by the promoters. I'm fairly certain all but the very biggest bouts get way worse PPV numbers than UFC (or Wrestlemania at this point lol), and the whole sport is just sliding into obscurity.

It'll probably never slide back as badly as, say, speedway (once the fourth most-popular spectator sport in the country, now very likely to go completely bust) but the days when the entire country would be discussing the Big Title Bout are long gone.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Keef backing the tories again

quote:

Sir Keir Starmer, MP for Holborn and St Pancras, has personally pushed for the erection of nine-foot tall aluminium barriers across Primrose Hill in north London.
Effectively, this means locking off London’s only permanently open royal park from the public on weekend evenings and maintaining its exclusivity for wealthy residents.

McKeown and more than 500 signatories are furious with Starmer’s intervention, which they consider to be undemocratic – and unexpectedly in line with the agenda of Conservative councillors who have been leafleting the area campaigning for gates.

It's in his constituency.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1396397229339029504?s=20

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
the boxer men should kisse instead imo ;-*

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

the boxer men should kisse instead imo ;-*

Only if they're big guys

E: Big Cum Dom is at it again, fake or not

https://twitter.com/Dominic2306/status/1396417250391957504?s=19

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 23, 2021

Mebh
May 10, 2010

He writes and talks exactly like a boss I once had who was a tech ceo that made millions doing cellular encryption and sunk it all into game development.

He would come up with wild ideas like trying to convince blizzard to let us use their assets and wrote long screeds on how to fix issues on twitter just like that.

He was often right, but came off as so abrasive and in your face that only other people of the same type would give him the time of day.

Which was entirely enough to get shitloads of investment and advancement.

I do wonder if I've been doing it all wrong these years by mostly keeping my opinions firmly to myself other than the occasional bit of chatter on here.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

It's a riff on "Labour sources" saying Corbyn should come clean on whether he has had the vaccine.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The real fun part is going to be Starmer not giving a straight answer as to what his own name is

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It wasn't a hilarious lie, it was a calculated way to change Google results for 'Boris bus' to bury awkward pictures of the £300mill for NHS promise. And it worked.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The real fun part is going to be Starmer not giving a straight answer as to what his own name is

uguughughghh i believe thut peopul huv a name and the name thut a persun hus us thuh name they ought to be called uuurrhghghrghghhhh

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

OzyMandrill posted:

It wasn't a hilarious lie, it was a calculated way to change Google results for 'Boris bus' to bury awkward pictures of the £300mill for NHS promise. And it worked.

I'm pretty sure both are massively dwarfed by the new tfl buses he was associated with introducing.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nobody wants to watch a couple of tiny lil guys boxing lol

It's basketball for short people.

sinky posted:

Keef backing the tories again

It's in his constituency.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1396397229339029504?s=20

What a kiece of poo poo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:lmao:
https://twitter.com/shaun_vids/status/1396184886591975424

This is actually good for KiethCoin.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/lbc/status/1396434265047437313?s=21

lol

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Oh do gently caress off twatson

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Boris Johnson is spending the 'takeaway' money on fancy bottles of booze and a couple of meals from gourmet restaurants that don't normally deliver, but will happily make an exception for the Prime Minister. Six bottles of Moët champagne will cost a couple of hundred quid and that's before you get in the eye-wateringly expensive bottles of whisky for an after-dinner tipple to help digestion.

Is boxing getting less promotion because there's greater awareness of the nuerological damage from contact sports? Obvoiusly everyone knows KOs are bad and boxers periodically die in the ring, but even repeated mild head trauma is linked to devastating brain damage by middle age. At what point does boxing become too problematic to heavily promote?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lmao seeing labour politicians fight for relevancy

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Also some goon got me and my partner into sumo. The May Cup just happened and apparently there's a 2 week cup every 2 months

There's no weight classes at all and the small guys regularly beat bigger guys it's pretty cool

It's incredibly brutally exploitative in a way that keeps the drama for each match super high for each wrestler but is genuinely barbaric.
Like you can't take injury time off at all until you reach the top rank, and there's only a single guy at that rank (who is the greatest sumo in recorded history) and they hate him for taking time off

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Keith isn't going to keep his seat at the next General Election, so why not go full-on scorched earth and get some brown-nose points with the rich.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lady Demelza posted:

Boris Johnson is spending the 'takeaway' money on fancy bottles of booze and a couple of meals from gourmet restaurants that don't normally deliver, but will happily make an exception for the Prime Minister. Six bottles of Moët champagne will cost a couple of hundred quid and that's before you get in the eye-wateringly expensive bottles of whisky for an after-dinner tipple to help digestion.

Is boxing getting less promotion because there's greater awareness of the nuerological damage from contact sports? Obvoiusly everyone knows KOs are bad and boxers periodically die in the ring, but even repeated mild head trauma is linked to devastating brain damage by middle age. At what point does boxing become too problematic to heavily promote?

It's not that, it just got boring. Michael Watson didn't really hurt the sport, UFC turning from circus sideshow to legitimate sport did.

Also boxing FWIW is a lot better for CTE than many sports. A *long* pro boxing career will be 40 bouts and even a poo poo boxer is only going to take a few big shots to the head in a fight, whereas a footballer will play 40 or more matches a season and (especially in a Sam Allardyce team) might head the ball, hard, 10 or more times a game, and football, rugby, and even cricket (which believe it or not has a death rate higher than boxing) used to (and still do, to an extent) encourage players to play on with very obvious concussions that would get a boxing match stopped immediately.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pablo Bluth posted:

I dunno, the biggest MMA stars in history are a Welterweight & a Featherweight who moved to Lightweight (Georges St Pierre & Conor McGregor respectively). And the biggest boxing stars of recent times have been Welterweights Floyd Mayweather & Manny Pacquiao. Ricky Hatton fought at the same weight as Taylor for a large chunk of his career & got plenty of media coverage. I don't think Taylor should be getting blanket coverage, but a British champion in even the discussion for an undisputed title fight hasn't happened since Joe Calazghe over a decade ago & there hasn't been one at all since 2000. You'd think that BT Sport or Channel 5 or ITV 4, someone like that could find a spot for it on their presumably not very busy 1am-4am timeslot, & it could get a few inches of space in newspaper sport sections. Coz I mean, it was a significant fight, & it was always likely to be a very exciting one.

Mostly I'm just mad I almost missed it coz it was a real good fight & the Scottish guy won, which is rare enough.

In fairness, I'm also the weirdo who prefers the circus sideshow days of MMA when rules were few & far between & really fat guys watched tiny guys literally run in circles around them. Everyone is too good now so are basically evenly matched. We need to go back to the good old days of booking Fedor against Zuluzhino & Cro Cop beating a masked wrestler.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 23, 2021

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Everyone with even a marginal interest in sport should watch Fighting in the Age of Loneliness, noted documentary genius Jon Bois' masterpiece, covering the entire history of MMA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DoaUyMGPWI

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 23, 2021

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

Except competitive shooting, where a gender division was introduced because the women kept winning, but popular interest is still massively disproportionately towards the men's events.

That's interesting, wonder what the actual % divide was. :page3:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Just Another Lurker posted:

That's interesting, wonder what the actual % divide was. :page3:

It wasn't even overrepresentation, if I remember right, it was a Chinese woman in the late 80s/early 90s who won 4 back to back Olympic golds, then mysteriously they decided to gender segregate just before she'd go for a fifth.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's happened a couple of times, but the most obvious butthurt was in Olympic skeet/clay:

wiki posted:

The event was introduced in 1968, and until 1992 both men and women were allowed to participate. But in 1996 the event was limited to men only, which was somewhat controversial because the 1992 Olympic Champion was a woman, Shan Zhang of China. In 2000, a female skeet event was introduced.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I tried to explain eurovision to my housemates from India, they were not amused.

Something something cultural barriers.

I think they thought it was severely uncool along the lines of Britain's got talent and the like, but then they've never heard of it before, so.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't it?