Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Sharkitten posted:

More challenges down today, Cat Got Your Tongue and The Guardian

I had a lot of fun with The Guardian but I'm sure it was horrible before Isaac's Heart was buffed

It was one of the worst challenges in the Afterbirth era. Maybe I should give that challenge another go with the changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sharkitten posted:

More challenges down today, Cat Got Your Tongue and The Guardian

I had a lot of fun with The Guardian but I'm sure it was horrible before Isaac's Heart was buffed

Honestly it wasn't too bad. It could be kind of swingy depending on what items you got but you start out fairly powerful/fast so it wasn't that much of a pain even when you lost.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The Boss Rush and Hush marks as Tainted Lazarus are GOD AWFUL. Most of the issue is getting there because with that character you need to do lots of careful backtracking but for those you need to go go go. I finally managed Boss Rush using Mama Mega and I'm thinking Hush will need that also. I wasn't even close without it

Once that and Delirium are down though, Death Certificate is mine!! So I have that motivating me.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I actually won a game with Jacob and Esau. gently caress I hate this character. At least Stairway and Birthright are unlocked.

The problem with J/E makes it feel like it's work. It's not fun. I feel like there's two things that can fix J/E to be a decent character:

1.) They both share a life pool. I am not a fan of "if one dies, the other dies". This makes the need for HP/soul/black hearts more impactful and the fact you have to spread that out thin make the run not enjoyable. Having them share a life total with a starting life of two hearts and one soul hear seems like it would fix a major problem.

-OR-

If one dies, the other lives on, but the live one gets a major debuff as punishment to balance it out. Maybe double damage taken which will make mom's heart or something.

2.) Getting separated it a pain in the rear end if you need to stick together. An items that would allow esau to teleport to Jacob's location with a 10 second cooldown would help balance things out.

I hope it's not just me. I just don't think J/E are fun. :(

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

Kawalimus posted:

I finally managed Boss Rush using Mama Mega and I'm thinking Hush will need that also. I wasn't even close without it
Remember to keep an eye out for the Strange Key trinket also. This means Mom's Box also has potential to give you Hush access after the time limit.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

PostNouveau posted:

Beat Hush/Delirium with Tainted Lost. Gotta agree with the folks saying Tainted Lost isn't as bad as you'd think. The better items thing seems to really make you ball out of control. Glitched crown is also really broken once you get good at timing the item you want.

Yeah it's hard but the bonus is a really good bonus AND it's one that makes for fun runs. Also I don't know if it's been mentioned, but if you hold onto your Holy Card then Glowing Hourglass becomes an acceptable poor man's Holy Mantle, and being in the shop pool combined with Tainted Lost's smaller item pool makes it something you'll encounter fairly often.

potaties
Apr 8, 2005

meow meow

Kawalimus posted:

The Boss Rush and Hush marks as Tainted Lazarus are GOD AWFUL. Most of the issue is getting there because with that character you need to do lots of careful backtracking but for those you need to go go go. I finally managed Boss Rush using Mama Mega and I'm thinking Hush will need that also. I wasn't even close without it

Once that and Delirium are down though, Death Certificate is mine!! So I have that motivating me.

Saving the worst for last! I actually did Boss Rush + Hush + Delirium all in one run with Tainted Lazarus yesterday, I made it into the boss rush room at 19:59 somehow (I had to leave behind the Negative until afterwards cause I had no time!) and that was the fastest time I've gotten on him. Normally SO much time has passed by the time I hit Caves 2 just because of all the backtracking. One half of him had Monstrance from a Sacrifice room, and Gnawed Leaf was in the boss rush room, so about 50% of the Boss Rush went really smoothly! When I was in Womb 2 I found the Strange Blue Key trinket thing that lets you go into Hush regardless of your time, which is good because I was at like 45 minutes. Already had killed Hush with that Plan C before, but took him out again and then beelined for Delirium by guessing which room was his with a World Card and he died reasonably quick all things considered, he turned into a Pin and just shredded himself on the Monstrance aura.

I just finished Tainted Lazarus tonight and I'm super happy that I'm free because he really sucks. T. Laz, T. Lost, T. Eden, T. Jacob, and regular J&E are all completed notes for me now and they're probably all the hardest and/or least fun (except T. Lost, I actually had fun with him but he was still pretty difficult.) Meanwhile I have like nothing done on several other characters still, and I'm still catching up since I never played Rebirth before Repentance so I have a lot of marks for the non-tainted characters to go.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Yeah it's hard but the bonus is a really good bonus AND it's one that makes for fun runs. Also I don't know if it's been mentioned, but if you hold onto your Holy Card then Glowing Hourglass becomes an acceptable poor man's Holy Mantle, and being in the shop pool combined with Tainted Lost's smaller item pool makes it something you'll encounter fairly often.

Oh yeah I was doing just that on the first floor. Not just glowing hourglass, but blank card too. First floor with tainted lost, I check the shop and don't pop the holy card until I know one of those aren't in it.

You don't have to get too precious though. Tainted Lost has a 10% chance to turn any card drop into a holy card, so unless you get really unlucky, you should get one or two more in a run.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Evil Eagle posted:

lol what the hell is this Edmund

This poo poo is why I never go alt path unless I'm going for Mother!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sharkitten posted:

I loving hate boss armor so much

I hope the mod to tweak it gets updated soon

I'm on phone so I can't get the link, but someone has now forked + updated it for repentance.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I really wish that mod didn't reliably crash the game every time I try running it. :smith: No other mod does it either! But that one crashes the game before I even get control after starting a new run.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Gold hearts sure make the April’s Fool challenge trivial after the first floor. I’m surprised it hasn’t been nerfed yet.

By the way, one time I used an active item in that challenge(all active items give a random effect) and I started taking damage until I died. What item effect was that?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

goferchan posted:

Yeah if Tainted Lost was literally just Rebirth Lost in now harder game, I think that would have caused a lot more backlash. gently caress that noise. Tainted Lost can be very painful, but my god your successful runs will be very successful. Definitely worth it to push through with him if it's possible for you because you snowball so much more easily. (Unfortunately the snowball can be stopped just as easily, so it'll be up to your abilities to stop that from happening.)

Evil Eagle posted:

lol what the hell is this Edmund

I ran into another rare variant of the empty treasure room, except it had 1 of every pickup plus a trinket. The one I got was Curved Horn so I wasn't complaining there.

48.52 damage and an army of locusts. My damage was reduced to 2-3. Boss armor is such a great mechanic. I won that run but seeing the damage numbers in action really makes you realize just how oppressive this mechanic is.

Since Tainted Apollyon wasn't getting updated, I figured I might as well play with him anyways. He is actually kind of fun once he gets rolling but man I really wanted to see how nuts the locust mechanic could get. Such a shame there's only a few special locusts. Maybe some ambitious modders will go an try to realize the original mission statement.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 22, 2021

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
This was an absolutely legendary run:

Sinus infection haemolacria godhead tears.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Remember to keep an eye out for the Strange Key trinket also. This means Mom's Box also has potential to give you Hush access after the time limit.

Yeah I'm looking for that. I've only seen it once though on T.Eden runs.

potaties posted:

Saving the worst for last! I actually did Boss Rush + Hush + Delirium all in one run with Tainted Lazarus yesterday, I made it into the boss rush room at 19:59 somehow (I had to leave behind the Negative until afterwards cause I had no time!) and that was the fastest time I've gotten on him. Normally SO much time has passed by the time I hit Caves 2 just because of all the backtracking. One half of him had Monstrance from a Sacrifice room, and Gnawed Leaf was in the boss rush room, so about 50% of the Boss Rush went really smoothly! When I was in Womb 2 I found the Strange Blue Key trinket thing that lets you go into Hush regardless of your time, which is good because I was at like 45 minutes. Already had killed Hush with that Plan C before, but took him out again and then beelined for Delirium by guessing which room was his with a World Card and he died reasonably quick all things considered, he turned into a Pin and just shredded himself on the Monstrance aura.

I just finished Tainted Lazarus tonight and I'm super happy that I'm free because he really sucks. T. Laz, T. Lost, T. Eden, T. Jacob, and regular J&E are all completed notes for me now and they're probably all the hardest and/or least fun (except T. Lost, I actually had fun with him but he was still pretty difficult.) Meanwhile I have like nothing done on several other characters still, and I'm still catching up since I never played Rebirth before Repentance so I have a lot of marks for the non-tainted characters to go.

Thanks. That gives me hope! lol

Edit: Well I took down Hush thanks to two emperor cards but Delirium was too much. What an obnoxious, obnoxious fight. But at least now I don't have to rush to it anymore and can go to Chest to power up my guy/guys first.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 14:36 on May 22, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I managed to stumble upon Mega Mush in a treasure room even though it's 10x rarer in that pool... As Tainted Forgotten. :negative: God it really hurts to see an item that would be absolutely god tier on any other character except for that particular run you were playing as the one character it wasn't great on.

I was initially excited at first then using it turned out to be very very disappointing. The Soul only gets one benefit in that they're invincible for the entire duration. Except they can't really attack. The only part that gets giant is the skeleton, and not even carting it around really does damage. You have to set down the forgotten and the rapid collision damage only really occurs if enemies and bosses are ramming face first into the Forgotten which isn't going to happen unless you charm them. Leaving you with the bone swing as your only attack. Can be great for deleting troublesome bosses but wow I was very disappointed with the results.

Out of all the "feature complete" tainted characters, they're probably my least favorite of the bunch. There's just not really that much to them.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

DoubleNegative posted:

I really wish that mod didn't reliably crash the game every time I try running it. :smith: No other mod does it either! But that one crashes the game before I even get control after starting a new run.

Same. :sigh:

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

wow you guys weren't kidding about brimstone vs the mantle, hosed up. I was cruising through until I got to a sheol room with brimstone heads and mobile hosts, was hanging near the door focusing on the hosts and suddenly dead by brimstone instantly.

I will no longer focus on the hosts in that room

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Araxxor posted:

Since Tainted Apollyon wasn't getting updated, I figured I might as well play with him anyways. He is actually kind of fun once he gets rolling but man I really wanted to see how nuts the locust mechanic could get. Such a shame there's only a few special locusts. Maybe some ambitious modders will go an try to realize the original mission statement.

But of course: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2491289467 (work in progress, though)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Umm why is the daily challenge consistently crashing my game whenever enemies attack me? It can't be mods because you have to disable 'em all to even be able to do the daily challenge

It is very frustrating because crashing also means it just takes the run from me because you can't load back into it

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

The interaction between Tainted Eden and Shard of Glass is kind of astoundingly terrible. Hope you don't roll into it during a heart drought or you're just straight up doomed. I barely managed to take down the Beast since shard did 6 full hearts of damage to me during the fight.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Is there any way to unlock the Lost faster? I've only found missing poster once in the last week and I didn't want to give up the run because I was snowballing.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

If you have both Tainted Cain and Divorce Papers unlocked you can craft that, it drops mysterious paper which has a chance of acting as the missing poster. Otherwise just spam mom's box when you get it

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh hell yes, definitely keeping an eye on this. Bless mods, I have like so many of them installed at this point. (Though a lot of direct gameplay changes that aren't accessibly stuff I'm holding off on unless I'm doing a chill non-completion run or just can't stand certain things like the Knife Piece 2 escape sequence anymore.)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Is there any way to unlock the Lost faster? I've only found missing poster once in the last week and I didn't want to give up the run because I was snowballing.

As someone who has unlocked him like 6 times the way to unlock him faster is to always give up the run when you find the poster.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Can I get a hint on this? The Blue Map tells me there should be a super secret room here, but bombs don't work. The little symbols there look like Isaac's head and a crosshair, but the only thing I can think of that this would imply is shooting it, and that doesn't work. The wiki doesn't say anything about this on the page for secret rooms.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
secret door bombing position can be extremely finicky and the decorative symbols are just that

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

If you're trying to bomb secret rooms I recommend bombing a little bit away from the wall, it feels like the blast gets absorbed by the wall if it's directly touching it when you're slightly off.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Oh, thanks.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

And I did it!! Unlocked the Death Certificate after a laborious 1.5 hour affair with Tainted Lazarus. The final battle with Delirium was very satisfying cause I had Dr Fetus, Rocket Bombs, Poison Bombs, Fire Bombs. So I got to pump that guy full of lead. Felt good. I don't totally know what Death Certificate does but I've heard it's cool so I'm anxious to see it. Now all I have to do is find those stupid battery bums and get every item/trinket and I've 100%ed the game!

I was ready to flip my poo poo if Mega Satan didn't open up the portal to Void...

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on May 23, 2021

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Are there mods to just straight up ban items? Shard of glass is the one I’d want to do it for because tainted eden

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tainted Lost mother run for me will go down in record books. I was *begging* for damage ups and got sacred heart and a few other things- then kidney stone oh hell yes.

Then I got chocolate milk. Guess what. You can't fire with those two items! You have to build up the charge, wait out the duration and then you can tap fire before it procs again. I figured "I'm hosed' yet Sinus Tears and my at that point staggering damage let me apply damage even when I was dodging and begging the stone to go away.

I feel so *good* right now

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I like most of Tainted Eden except they really need safeguards on their HP in place like Tainted Isaac does because taking random amounts of damage is not fun. If it wasn't for that this character would probably just be delicious chaos instead having to stress if the build you rolled into leaves you with enough HP.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Tainted Lost mother run for me will go down in record books. I was *begging* for damage ups and got sacred heart and a few other things- then kidney stone oh hell yes.

Then I got chocolate milk. Guess what. You can't fire with those two items! You have to build up the charge, wait out the duration and then you can tap fire before it procs again. I figured "I'm hosed' yet Sinus Tears and my at that point staggering damage let me apply damage even when I was dodging and begging the stone to go away.

I feel so *good* right now

yeah that happened to me and after posting it in the discord kilburn said its a glitch and its gonna get fixed

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Against my better judgement, I decided to give Tainted Lazarus a go. This character is loving awful in his current state. Being stuck with half a character at all times is not fun. Active items also essentially taking 2 rooms to get 1 charge due to how this character works is also really awful to go through. 6 item charges essentially become 12, the 12 item charge you have essentially becomes 24. The only way to make this not painful is to either somehow get enough charges for Flip that you stay in the Lazarus with the good build at all the times it matters, or you get god tier items on both characters so that the run is relatively smooth all the way through.

Mega Mush works... weirdly on this character. Thankfully not Forgotten bad but probably something to be aware of before you get too excited about finding one with them. The moment you clear a room, you'll flip back to the other Lazarus... and shrink cause he doesn't have Mega Mush. But when you flip back again, you'll be back in your Mega Mush state. In fact the plus side is that your Mega Mush timer is completely paused while you're not playing as the Lazarus with it active. So you can probably get more mileage out of it with good planning if you ever find it. Which is nice because like I said before, this item essentially becomes a 24 room charge item with Tainted Lazarus!

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

The deck is way too stacked against you as him for sure.

Didnt trinkets used to be on the items post-it? I looked and was surprised I only have yet to have five items. I remember a trinket put me to 100% on AB+

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

The deck is way too stacked against you as him for sure.

Didnt trinkets used to be on the items post-it? I looked and was surprised I only have yet to have five items. I remember a trinket put me to 100% on AB+

There was only one weird edge case and that was Tonsil in AB+. The trinket's effect was coded as a passive item, so you had to proc it to get it on the collection screen. They took that out in Repentance. (The item that took up its ID slot is the Broken Glass Cannon.)

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

On the flip side, Tainted Keeper is *DOPE*AS*gently caress*.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
Filling the collection page took a lot less time than I was expecting. I had to waste a Death Certificate to get Redemption, but that was completely worth it to avoid trying to grind for one. When I saw I only had a few items left I just used Tainted Cain to craft them, and that was it. I don't like playing as Tainted Cain, but that was satisfying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rothon
Jan 4, 2012
Well that sucked. Popped an Emperor? card on the daily and got Mom, which softlocked the game since there are no exit doors from that fight after you win...