Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

This definitely doesn't seem like the work of someone committed to longterm sobriety.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBKqvLpxpU4

Long time since iv'e seen the old FW intro.... now i have to rewatch the vid. ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno "gently caress you my gun is perfect and if you don't like it you're an idiot" is a fairly common sentiment among early automatic firearm developers. Borchardt also said the same thing about his pistol with half a carriage clock hanging off the back.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

goddamnedtwisto posted:

In London at least the opposite problem was more common. Fruit and veg (and anything likely to perish sitting in the week-long traffic jam at Aldgate waiting to be assessed for tax) were expensive luxuries, the average diet was basically dried meat, cheese, and local(ish) seafood like eels and shellfish. Of course when cholera hit town the situation reversed spectacularly.

A historian of my acquaintance speculated that a lot of aristocrats died of constipation. Many died after a shortish illness with abdominal pains and bloating, sometimes with 'obstructions', after a lifetime of heavy meat consumption and laudenum.

Your lower classes wouldn't have had quite as much opiate-based medical treatment or meat, and at various times probably not enough food of any description to cause fatal constipation. Assuming whatever the cheap bread/milk/sugar was cut with to bulk it out didn't also give them exciting intestinal experiences.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I dunno what that weird gun video was about, but it led me to an amazing wife carrying race video.

Also I could definitely have won their race if I had a small wife to carry.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno "gently caress you my gun is perfect and if you don't like it you're an idiot" is a fairly common sentiment among early automatic firearm developers. Borchardt also said the same thing about his pistol with half a carriage clock hanging off the back.

Stumbled upon a channel on YT channel called C&Rsenal a few years back.. they have covered a huge number of the hand weapons used in World War One; https://www.youtube.com/c/Candrsenal/featured doing development history and use for each one, episode are on average an hour in length.

Found all the history and design very interesting. :)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

C&Rsenal is another good one yes if you like involved looks at historical firearms.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Lol Tommy Robinson turned up to the pro-Israel rally yesterday. Great PR boys!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

Lol Tommy Robinson turned up to the pro-Israel rally yesterday. Great PR boys!

Yeah I saw that lmao.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Gut problems generally were a surprisingly rare way to die before cholera came over in the 19th century, considering the whole "making GBS threads in your drinking water" thing that Londoners have always been so keen on:

This is from 1665, so obviously plague is a pretty spectacular champion (and there's a *proper* pandemic - that's 1% of the population of London dead in a single loving week) but the other causes of death are interesting.

Of the ones likely to be caused by intestinal problems I've got:

Colic: 1
Flux (bloody diarrhea): 2
Griping in the guts (going both ends): 74
Scowring (watery diarrhea): 13
Surfeit (*probably* food poisoning, but the official diagnosis of the time was that the person had just eaten too much): 87
Vomiting: 7
Wind (what a way to go - history doesn't recall if a naked flame was also involved): 8
Worms: 18

(Stopping of the stomach is malnutrition or other wasting diseases, scurvy and rickets are also of course diet-related but not poo poo-eating related)

That's 210 deaths - about 15% of the non-plague total - that were probably gastrointestinal, which like I say is really not bad for a city with quite so much poo poo hanging around.

Also because the questions inevitably come up whenever a bill of mortality gets posted:

Apoplexie and palsie probably both describe a stroke
Childbed is what you think it is
Chrisomes is babies that died before christening
Consumption is TB
Dropsy is swelling and is probably a death through sepsis
Impostume is an open sore and probably smallpox or an infected cut
Kingsevil is scrofula, a skin infection that could supposedly be cured by the touch of the king, which seems like an idea thought up by a particularly cunning republican doctor
Quinsie and Rising of the lights both refer to choking and coughing, so cover a wide range of diseases
Spotted Fever and Purples is *probably* typhus
"Teeth" as a cause of death is probably infected oral abscesses - a pretty common way to die for people in middle age at the time, especially when skin diseases were also endemic.

And no, I don't know how you die of lethargy, sciatica, or "sore legge" unless a cart got loose and you were unable to get out of the way in time.

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And no, I don't know how you die of lethargy, sciatica, or "sore legge" unless a cart got loose and you were unable to get out of the way in time.

How do you die of Suddenly?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

UnquietDream posted:

How do you die of Suddenly?

Same cart, but quicker.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm died of suddenly.

E: gently caress!

E2: I am wondering what tissick and plurisy are.

Also faintly curious if died of stone means kidney/gall or a big rock.

Also also can... can you die of thrush..?

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 24, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I'm died of suddenly.

Pleurisy is an infection of the lining of the chest which causes diffuse but intense pain across the entire area. Obviously they didn't know the "infection" bit at the time but the symptom was well-known and well-described,

Tissick is apparently a dry cough, so probably pneumonia.

e: Oops, got my pleurisy and my peritonitis mixed up, put me down for a murther in Stepney.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OwlFancier posted:

I'm died of suddenly.

Pleurisy is an old name for pleuritis, an inflammation of the pleura, the wall of tissue between your lungs and chest.

As for dying of thrush, you absolutely can if left untreated, because any infection can spread.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Don't forget you can get thrush in the mouth as well as in the nether regions. Maybe they were babies?

Noun
rising of the lights (uncountable)

(obsolete or historical) An illness or obstructive condition of the larynx, trachea, or lungs, found as a cause of death on bills of mortality in the 16- and 1700s; possibly croup.

Surprised at how few murders there seem to have been. I've always had the impression that back, murder was the evening sport.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Don't forget you can get thrush in the mouth as well as in the nether regions. Maybe they were babies?

Noun
rising of the lights (uncountable)

(obsolete or historical) An illness or obstructive condition of the larynx, trachea, or lungs, found as a cause of death on bills of mortality in the 16- and 1700s; possibly croup.

Surprised at how few murders there seem to have been. I've always had the impression that back, murder was the evening sport.

Obviously an extremely small sample size here but that's one in a week in a population of 400,000, which would be 10 times the modern murder rate. Also I'd imagine people were feeling less stabby in a plague year - you'd *really* want someone dead to go do it yourself rather than just playing the numbers. I'll try and find some later, non-plague ones for comparison.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think sore legge means sore as a noun. It's probably a leg ulcer that went septic.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Pleurisy hasn't gone away. A former colleague of mine had it (former because I no longer work there, not because she died). Even once she was well enough to come back to work, she couldn't climb stairs or lift anything. Anything requiring her chest muscles to do more than the bare minimum would cause a flare up. It took weeks for her to recover and at lot of that was spent in pain.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Here's one from 1664, and London is a lot duller without the plague.

First up - seriously, what the gently caress is going on in Stepney? Also, "overlaid" isn't as fun as it sounds, it's unfortunately a parent rolling over onto a child.

Anyway, the non-plague causes of death are more or less in the same proportion as they were during the plague, except the catch-all "fever" and "convulsion" categories are also well down, suggesting that the plague was being under-reported. And I'm intrigued by "mouldfallen".

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

First up - seriously, what the gently caress is going on in Stepney? Also, "overlaid" isn't as fun as it sounds, it's unfortunately a parent rolling over onto a child.

Anyway, the non-plague causes of death are more or less in the same proportion as they were during the plague, except the catch-all "fever" and "convulsion" categories are also well down, suggesting that the plague was being under-reported. And I'm intrigued by "mouldfallen".

Headmouldshot and Mouldfallen: Disease or injury affecting the sutures or bones of the skull; a condition in which the skull is compressed in the pelvic canal during delivery, causing the cranial bones to ride over each other.

source: https://beforenewton.blog/2014/11/07/a-bill-of-mortality-and-a-peck-of-snails/

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

And I'm intrigued by "mouldfallen".

Headmouldshot and Mouldfallen: Disease or injury affecting the sutures or bones of the skull; a condition in which the skull is compressed in the pelvic canal during delivery, causing the cranial bones to ride over each other.

E: beaten again

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.bmj.com/content/2/3431/646

Interesting.
Comments on how many of these deaths are infant deaths and how high infant mortality was.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
There's a funny misconception that comes up occasionally in mediaeval fiction. Life expectancy of an 1100s man is somewhere in their 30s. Writers sometimes take that to mean people are going to die in their 30s. Nope: levels of infant mortality are so high that it's skewing the statistical mean. Once a man is past his 10th birthday, he's more likely to reach his 60s than not. Women have to get through another hurdle first: having some babies without dying.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
nobody dies from oral thrush, you die when the fungal infection finds somewhere to lodge internally and a way past your immune responses. You generally also need to be seriously ill beforehand, but in a century without antifungal drugs you can probably skip that bit and get there straight from dental abscess.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Apart from the guy who got fatally scalded when he fell into a mash tun. If only he'd known the fermentation process begins after the mashing; he might have lived to die of plague the next year.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

And the sad thing is, all these diseases will be making a comeback in the next decade as the tory rot sets right in.
I was just reading an article about inability of many people to get dental treatment at the moment unless they are sufficiently wealthy to afford private dentists.

Apparently I'm approx 3 months away from rising to the top of the waiting list for the one and only NHS dentist around here accepting patients (despite the Welsh health authorities saying you don't have to be registered just call and make an appointment. Ha.)
I've something that needs treating - I had a minor operation about 10 years ago and it's needing a bit of a redo - but I just haven't got the £00s it would cost to go private, so I'm hoping it will be ok for 3 months!
Just wish I'd got everything fixed when I lived in Egypt (bazillions of good dentists over there).

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Can personally confirm that 'Quinsie' is not a fun time.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spangly A posted:

nobody dies from oral thrush, you die when the fungal infection finds somewhere to lodge internally and a way past your immune responses. You generally also need to be seriously ill beforehand, but in a century without antifungal drugs you can probably skip that bit and get there straight from dental abscess.

Don't forget nobody's doing autopsies here, it's just what the relatives say they died of, and the cause given is mostly just a symptom. Thrush means white spots in the throat and a bad smell, so could be anything from a simple yeast infection through tonsillitis (which can definitely kill in an era where people treat cuts with dung) to throat cancer.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/agirlcalledlina/status/1396615820189573126

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The ultimate cuckolding is almost complete:

https://twitter.com/mrharrycole/status/1396576077334650882

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sounds to me like she knows what she wants and has a plan to accomplish it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Hurray! Now Boris can take in 10x of monetary gifts and call it a wedding present!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Custard binbag honeymoon

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I wonder if Johnson has already started planning the biography he'll write to pay for the divorce to Carrie.

Given it's a significant part of the reason he keeps getting divorced, maybe he'll write a biography of his penis. "Custard Binbag & Johnson's Johnson".

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Jel Shaker posted:

broken sword = impotence surely?

Oh yeah, that fits the theme pretty good.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Unless some dramatic new evidence has shown up in the last 14 years, it's going to be hard to beat Bill Bryson's biography of Shakespeare from 2007.

(In typical dry Bryson fashion it's a fairly slim book that goes "We honestly don't know a whole lot, but here's pretty much all the evidence about his life that we have. And funnily enough the thing we can be most confident of is that yes, he wrote the things")

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 24, 2021

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Don't forget nobody's doing autopsies here, it's just what the relatives say they died of, and the cause given is mostly just a symptom. Thrush means white spots in the throat and a bad smell, so could be anything from a simple yeast infection through tonsillitis (which can definitely kill in an era where people treat cuts with dung) to throat cancer.

Also people who develop thrush and go on to die "from it" probably have some sort of more serious underlying issue. HIV wasn't a thing yet but there are other fun ways to have a terminal case of thrush.

From upthread - dropsy is swelling/oedema and if it's killing then it's more likely heart or kidney failure.

Death of leg pain/sciatica is probably a misdiagnosis. Acutely ischaemic leg is pretty drat painful and fatal without amputation, anticoagulation or stenting. Also diabetic ulcers, cellulitis, DVT, septic arthritis etc.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

happyhippy posted:

Hurray! Now Boris can take in 10x of monetary gifts and call it a wedding present!

This is actually a really good point. Do MPs have to declare wedding gifts? I've had a quick Google, and can't find anything about wedding gifts specifically, but I'd assume they'd be covered under more general rules (not that the rules matter anyway of course).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I assume Boris could claim they're all for Carrie (I mean, she'll own them all in a couple of years anyway).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lady Demelza posted:

A historian of my acquaintance speculated that a lot of aristocrats died of constipation. Many died after a shortish illness with abdominal pains and bloating, sometimes with 'obstructions', after a lifetime of heavy meat consumption and laudenum.

Your lower classes wouldn't have had quite as much opiate-based medical treatment or meat, and at various times probably not enough food of any description to cause fatal constipation. Assuming whatever the cheap bread/milk/sugar was cut with to bulk it out didn't also give them exciting intestinal experiences.

Daresay the intestinal parasites kept things moving too...