Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

euphronius posted:

here is a thought experiment

go back to the beginning of the season and start again except trade Steph Curry for Chris Paul

that one change and the warriors are the two seed and Phoenix is out of the playoffs or close to the bottom

mega-thread for euphronius’ completely unhinged sports takes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Euphronius is right

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

my primary complaint with steph curry is that i feel like his personality was manufactured by a Disney focus group

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Soap Scum posted:

my primary complaint with steph curry is that i feel like his personality was manufactured by a Disney focus group

I like his brother more even if he’s not as good

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

HashtagGirlboss posted:

I like his brother more even if he’s not as good

is that because his brother doesn't seem like he'd sneer at the mention of pot >_>

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
eupgornois how do you feel about dan marinaro?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Reality Protester posted:

eupgornois how do you feel about dan marinaro?

that was a long time ago

he was pretty good

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Soap Scum posted:

some of the biggest anti semites are zionists so this makes a lot of sense

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

There is no way on Earth Chris Paul makes a team whose second best player is Andrew Wiggins second in the conference, and if you traded Steph for Paul I'm not even sure Curry would be the best player on the Suns.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I Before E posted:

There is no way on Earth Chris Paul makes a team whose second best player is Andrew Wiggins second in the conference, and if you traded Steph for Paul I'm not even sure Curry would be the best player on the Suns.

the warriors second most valuable player is Curry .

that’s true Curry would not be most valuable on the suns

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
curry is good. can't stand haters. you're looking to combat hate? start in this thread

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

he’s fine if you like him continue to like him

I am only interested in important topics like who is the most valuable player

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

he’s fine if you like him continue to like him

I am only interested in important topics like who is the most valuable player

curry

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

which one ?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
curry is the mvp for me to poop on

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

euphronius posted:

which one ?

aloo gobi

most valuable potato

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

euphronius posted:

the warriors second most valuable player is Curry .

I meant second best active, if Klay were playing this season you would likely be correct

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

which one ?

the only one that matters

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I Before E posted:

I meant second best active, if Klay were playing this season you would likely be correct

draymond was more valuable than Steph

the warriors won with defense not offense.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Judakel posted:

the only one that matters

currently that is Seth since he’s still playing (since he made the playoffs)

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

draymond was more valuable than Steph

the warriors won with defense not offense.

every team wins with offense, your nuggets are getting worked by a thrift store curry

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

currently that is Seth since he’s still playing (since he made the playoffs)

not the greatest shooter of all time, try again

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

klay averaged as many turnovers as assists basically. dude made so many stupid to's and could never drive the ball as well as curry. he's also practically a foot bigger and somehow less of a rebounder

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Joel Hans Embiid

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Judakel posted:

every team wins with offense, your nuggets are getting worked by a thrift store curry

I’m not a nuggets fan

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

euphronius posted:

I’m not a nuggets fan

you're a nut, get

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Crusty Nutsack posted:

aloo gobi

most valuable potato

anyone can make aloo gobi but who can shoot a ball like Stephen

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Judakel posted:

some of the biggest anti semites are zionists so this makes a lot of sense

https://twitter.com/zainroon/status/1395217005876240385

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

if in one minute of a game for example if you hit a crazy three, turn the ball Over , and then give up 4 points then you are not as valuable as other players

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

indigi posted:

anyone can make aloo gobi but who can shoot a ball like Stephen

who cares, basketballs don't taste good!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I like Steph, he came to a league a mediocre player and now has 3 rings as a slightly better mediocre player.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

Nikola Jokic is the MVP because he has "The Look"

Players with "The Look" can overcome many things to dominate the game of basketball, but not all things

Players without "The Look" can dominate the game of basketball and have success, but don't do so as a winner - they are passive passengers

Joel Embiid does not have "The Look" and he had it in fact removed by Karl-Anthony Towns, who dominated him in the post and the perimeter and probably also in Fortnite

Steph Curry had one of the greatest shooting seasons of all time and then later had another, he consistently "Scores The Ball" which allows for his team to win games. However, he does not have "The Look" which would have allowed him to freeze pudgy white man Kevin Love in place, instead he has "The Not Look" which allowed Kevin Love to perform the greatest defensive sequence recorded by man

LeBron James has "The Look" and will occasionally funnel it into "Winning Championships" but also likes to take time off (though not enough! he does not work hard like Jimmy and he is not lazy like Klay!) to make Space Jam 2 a financial and critical success as well as launch his podcast network with Barack Obama. Keep your EYES OPEN as he submits name change paperwork to become LeJon Jons

If you see Nikola Jokic NOT winning championships, you should think about the things that he is trying to overcome? What is his real vision? What is his plan? You may notice Michael "Maga" Porter, Jr. is his co-pilot to greatness this year. Nikola is a sage individual and knows that MPJ winning an NBA championship this early in the Biden admin guarantees a Kamala victory in 2024 and stops the ascendancy of Full Communism Now - a thing he can know a priori due to being Serbian - which is essentially the Earth version of being a Saiyan

QED - MVP

Go Bucks - Midwest Solidarity

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

if you go by the look it's d. book no contest

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

hifi posted:

if you go by the look it's d. book no contest

The Look was way too high on last years suns with Kelly Oubre and Ricky Rubio onboard. Some say it was CP3 coming on that propelled them to the top of the league, others - more intelligent - say that it was D.Book finally being allowed to get "The Look" uninterrupted

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think about this a lot https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAD5RFXsPiA dont think they're goons (?) but good job

Yossarian-22
Oct 26, 2014

Telluric Whistler posted:

Players with "The Look" can overcome many things to dominate the game of basketball

telluric dog whistler

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

shooting by itself is overrated especially now in the league when lots of teams shoot well

I understand that old grand parents who watch a lot of espn and have fantasy teams would be easily impressed by Steph’s box score numbers. when you grow up watching people play in the 90s and 00s it must look impressive to see such box score numbers

but shooting efficiency numbers by themself are an abstraction . you have to look at the whole player and how their team performs . us younger thinkers know to not take stats in I solation but look at what actually happened . along with shooting percentage we also bravely look at who won the game . we are not afraid to consider this the real world

for example last night the Washington wizards shot excellently . they were 56%/40%/80% . the old Steph fans would think wow that is great shooting they are a finals team full of mvps and ball of famers !!!! no. the wizards lost. there is more to basketball than shooting

euphronius fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 24, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Telluric Whistler posted:

Players with "The Look" can overcome many things to dominate the game of basketball, but not all things

Players without "The Look" can dominate the game of basketball and have success, but don't do so as a winner - they are passive passengers

Joel Embiid does not have "The Look" and he had it in fact removed by Karl-Anthony Towns, who dominated him in the post and the perimeter and probably also in Fortnite

Steph Curry had one of the greatest shooting seasons of all time and then later had another, he consistently "Scores The Ball" which allows for his team to win games. However, he does not have "The Look" which would have allowed him to freeze pudgy white man Kevin Love in place, instead he has "The Not Look" which allowed Kevin Love to perform the greatest defensive sequence recorded by man

LeBron James has "The Look" and will occasionally funnel it into "Winning Championships" but also likes to take time off (though not enough! he does not work hard like Jimmy and he is not lazy like Klay!) to make Space Jam 2 a financial and critical success as well as launch his podcast network with Barack Obama. Keep your EYES OPEN as he submits name change paperwork to become LeJon Jons

If you see Nikola Jokic NOT winning championships, you should think about the things that he is trying to overcome? What is his real vision? What is his plan? You may notice Michael "Maga" Porter, Jr. is his co-pilot to greatness this year. Nikola is a sage individual and knows that MPJ winning an NBA championship this early in the Biden admin guarantees a Kamala victory in 2024 and stops the ascendancy of Full Communism Now - a thing he can know a priori due to being Serbian - which is essentially the Earth version of being a Saiyan

QED - MVP

Go Bucks - Midwest Solidarity

I appreciate your effort to try and define player value in the nba now that we are in a post fantasy stats world . I disagree with some of what you say but at least your eyes are open to what actually is happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who is the more valuable player ?

Player A: 100% 3p%
Player B : 0% 3p%

It’s a truck question you can’t tell from those numbers who is valuable