Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Zeron posted:

While I normally don't recommend doing ME1 sidequests, the really generic Geth base one is worth doing. It takes you to four different planets that all have amazing skyboxes.

Fun descriptions to read too. The one with the giant planet hanging ominously in the sky talks about how they're going to collide in a few centuries, and Asari cruise lines are already booking tickets to watch it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Cythereal posted:

It's baaaaaack.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Man, the writing in ME3 is not subtle at all. It reads like it presumes the player never played 1 or 2 cuz it just ladels on the exposition in the most obvious way.

When Bioware released their stats back in the day, nearly 65% of ME3 players hadn't played the first two.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

this is just begging for a dickbutt edit

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

They’re 100% Romani, with everyone else considering them thieves and scavengers and all that racist bullshit.

If the Romani had at some point in the past created and enslaved and then attempted to genocide a sapient race.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

So after the uprising, did the Council and Aria and everyone else just collectively kick out all the Quarians who were living in various places or what? Surely there was a good number of residents in the wards, etc.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Seemlar posted:

When Bioware released their stats back in the day, nearly 65% of ME3 players hadn't played the first two.

Making a trilogy of western style action RPGs as connected as mass effect 1-3 was maybe not the best idea

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

mastajake posted:

So after the uprising, did the Council and Aria and everyone else just collectively kick out all the Quarians who were living in various places or what? Surely there was a good number of residents in the wards, etc.

Don’t think about it too hard, it all falls apart.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Tali specifically points out quarians didn't really leave their few settled worlds because of their hosed up immune systems, complete with semi-decent explanation of why said systems were hosed up even pre gethening.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Tali totally would have done war crimes if she'd never met Shepard

Kal Reeger should have been a squad mate in 3 if she died in 2

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Psycho Landlord posted:

Tali specifically points out quarians didn't really leave their few settled worlds because of their hosed up immune systems, complete with semi-decent explanation of why said systems were hosed up even pre gethening.

Yeah, but all of that kind of falls apart too when you see Volus everywhere who have what may be an even more troublesome reason they have to wear suits. Without the suits it’s a race to see whether they suffocate to death first or burst out of their own skin.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 24, 2021

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

And various Krogan and Asari comment that they remember them without their suits.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
ME1 down. It's... it's not a bad game, I actually really enjoyed a lot of it, but it really is the opposite of a timeless game. It's not just straight pulpy sci-fi, it's straight pulpy sci-fi filtered through a mid-2000's lens. Both in writing and gameplay. A cover-based shooter where half the enemies just bumrush you and make cover tactics pointless. A sci-fi game that plays the blue alien space babe trope straight and just assumes you're on board. Cheesy soap opera style dialogue sequences right out of original Star Trek. Convincing Saren to kill himself in like three lines of dialogue had me giggling for almost two minutes. It knows exactly what it's trying to be and does a really good job at being that, but what it wants to be is an artifact of its time no matter how much you try to polish the graphics or gameplay. Also, the Mako is still a colossal piece of poo poo to the point that I don't even know why they bothered.

ME2 up next, I look forward to fresh juxtaposition between ME1's pulpy sci-fi and ME2's gritty dark sci-fi action movie.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I’ll say one thing I’ve been thinking about regarding the ending to ME3, because while I don’t think the ending is particularly great, I also don’t mind one part about it that a lot of people hate: the fact that it throws everything you’ve done in the series out of the window. I actually kind of like it.

The Reapers are a Lovecraftian galaxy-wide existential threat that absolutely must be stopped for life as we know it to continue, and stopping them will end a cycle that has been going on uninterrupted for millions and millions of years, far longer than anyone is able to comprehend, and in turn will change everything about how life/civilizations work (even Destroy fucks up the Mass Relays, making travel inside the galaxy incredibly slow until they're repaired). And if you somehow are able to get to the point where you get to push the button, individuals, past decisions and even Shepard themselves do not really even matter, because the scale is completely absurd. Someone just has to make an insane random decision with mind-melting, paradigm-shifting consequences for every single sentient being in the galaxy. It could literally be anyone making that choice in the end, but it just happens to be Shepard because they stumbled upon a malfunctioning space DVD years ago.

In that galactic scale, what is one person, their choices or their friends? What are the billions of people and any of their lives, their problems, successes, joys or sorrows? Absolutely, completely meaningless, that’s loving what. Life is a series of random consequences and the only reason we assign any kind of meaning to it is because we experience it (see: the story and characters of the games...). It’s nihilistic in a way that amuses me to some degree, even if it’s not a good ending to the particular story they were telling.

Also I’d like to say this thread is pretty cool because even though the conversation gets sort of heated, no one had an epic gamer meltdown because of the bad ending or someone’s opinions about it, unlike perhaps when the games were previously released.

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 06:34 on May 24, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If anyone says anything mean about Aria, my wife, I will just go nuts

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Man, the writing in ME3 is not subtle at all. It reads like it presumes the player never played 1 or 2 cuz it just ladels on the exposition in the most obvious way.

It's worth remembering that in addition to a number of people not having played 1 or 2 that it was years between 2 and 3 and Mass Effect had a whole bunch of characters and plotlines. Giving people refreshers on the characters is kind of necessary because it originally wasn't designed to be played as part of a pack.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sydin posted:

ME1 down. It's... it's not a bad game, I actually really enjoyed a lot of it, but it really is the opposite of a timeless game. It's not just straight pulpy sci-fi, it's straight pulpy sci-fi filtered through a mid-2000's lens. Both in writing and gameplay. A cover-based shooter where half the enemies just bumrush you and make cover tactics pointless. A sci-fi game that plays the blue alien space babe trope straight and just assumes you're on board. Cheesy soap opera style dialogue sequences right out of original Star Trek. Convincing Saren to kill himself in like three lines of dialogue had me giggling for almost two minutes. It knows exactly what it's trying to be and does a really good job at being that, but what it wants to be is an artifact of its time no matter how much you try to polish the graphics or gameplay. Also, the Mako is still a colossal piece of poo poo to the point that I don't even know why they bothered.

ME2 up next, I look forward to fresh juxtaposition between ME1's pulpy sci-fi and ME2's gritty dark sci-fi action movie.

Yeah, having just finished it myself the bareness of ME1 really does stand out. I couldn't remember what happens on Noveria outside of the Benezia fight and shooting a couple rachni and it turns out that...nothing, nothing happens there.

I also remember Bring Down the Sky being this epic race to stop a meteor filled with all sorts of big moral choices and its literally three more prefab buildings, three little shacks with a log about how someone died, an admittedly cute little radio station, and then exactly one new area where you have the final fight. I think I finished it in less than 45 minutes, and at the end the quest to find all the dead team members bugged out and I could only tell him I found two rather than all three :effort:

But having said that...I kinda like the Star Trek dryness of ME1. The fact that the combat is perfunctory and the Mako is dreadful almost emphasizes that they really want you to care more about the big skyboxes and cool planet descriptions and listen to mellow space music. And I kind of do! Even though ME2 is a dramatic improvement the shift to full on comic book dark antihero super team did kind of lose something in the process (I have yet to play ME3 but I assume it keeps going in the ME2 direction).

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bogart posted:

I do appreciate that part of her arc in the trilogy goes from introducing herself with the one rule of "Don't gently caress With Aria" to slowly realizing that the actual one rule of Mass Effect is "Don't gently caress With Shepard".

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

I only ever played the DLC for ME3, is there some kind of guide for where the DLC missions for 1 and 2 (and I guess 3, since it's been a long time) fit best narratively?

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Bogart posted:

Aria is an edgelord tryhard deal with it :colbert:

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Bogart posted:

Pity about your libido, dude. (cuz nobody fucks with Aria, get it ?)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

ShakeZula posted:

I only ever played the DLC for ME3, is there some kind of guide for where the DLC missions for 1 and 2 (and I guess 3, since it's been a long time) fit best narratively?

In 2, do Arrival after you've completed the final mission. Do all the others relatively early in the game or after doing quests on Illium.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ShakeZula posted:

For ME1, Bring Down the Sky and Pinacle Station can really go anywhere before Virmire. I like to go Therum->Feros->DLC->Noveria

For ME2, I tend to do Project Overlord after the Collector Ship mixed in amongst everyone's loyalty missions. Project Firewalker is dogshit and are basically just a bunch of N7 Missions in a flying tank and can go anywhere you want them to, but it's probably best to get the Hammerhead from the first Firewalker mission before starting Overlord. Lair of the Shadow Broker I save as the last possible thing I do before getting the Reaper IFF and Legion, aka the point of no return. Arrival is best played after completing the suicide mission as a post-game epilogue/lead in to Mass Effect 3.

For ME3, I do From Ashes immediately after Mars and before Palaven. Omega I do right after the Citadel Coup. Leviathan is best done after Rannoch and before Thessia. And I only play on PC now specifically with a mod that automatically makes Citadel the post-game epilogue to the whole trilogy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ShakeZula posted:

Arrival is kind of an epilogue to ME2 (though it can technically be done before the end) but otherwise the rest pretty much fit in anywhere. It’s not a narrative reason but Kasumi’s quest should be done as soon as possible if you’re a class that uses SMGs because the gun you get from her mission is the best one in the game, also just one of the best guns in general.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Doing Lair of the Shadow Broker and for some reason it’s really amusing to me that Liara has her degree framed on a wall of her apartment, from an Asari university on their home world, in English.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

ShakeZula posted:

ME1 just has Bring Down the Sky which you can do whenever. ME2 you can do them whenever you want, but as it's been said, Arrival is best for after the suicide mission. You probably want to do Kasumi's loyalty pretty early though, since it gives you the best smg in the game.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Tali's loyalty mission is so very priceless to do as FashShep with Legion as the 3rd party member. "She's guilty of bringing active geth parts to the flotilla !" "Be that as it may, my favourite robot son is going to watch you pack of useless fuckwits acquit her. NOW. I yield my time."

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
From memory the only thing to keep in mind with Bring Down The Sky is that it's ending gives you a super rare item as a reward, but it's scaled to your level at the time you complete it. So do it earlier and you end up with a rare item that becomes obsolete sooner.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Seemlar posted:

From memory the only thing to keep in mind with Bring Down The Sky is that it's ending gives you a super rare item as a reward, but it's scaled to your level at the time you complete it. So do it earlier and you end up with a rare item that becomes obsolete sooner.

Yep. Do absolutely everything up to Virmire and then do BDTS first. Then just follow the story to the end.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

Convincing Saren to kill himself in like three lines of dialogue had me giggling for almost two minutes.

A lot of paragon dialogue options are really goofy and basically involve people abruptly being convinced of things that it makes zero sense for them to be convinced of.

Hardened criminal: I'm a bad person who likes hurting and killing people
Shepard: Hurting and killing people reflects poorly upon you
Hardened criminal: I have not thought of things from this perspective before. You've given me a lot to think about.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Also spare the Batarian for an excellent callback later on.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Also spare the Batarian for an excellent callback later on.

Spare? You have to let him go to save people.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Seemlar posted:

I held off doing it to hopefully get top tier krogan armor for wrex just before the finale, but for whatever reason other than his great omni-tool he exclusively gives human or quarian armors :argh:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

:drat: I haven't been this impressed by a moon texture since I modded morrowind way back in the day.

also mass relays? where were going, we wont need mass relays.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There's a lot of good/funny dialogue that's easy to miss. The bachelor party on Illium is funny and has a ton of dialogue to it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Kibayasu posted:

Arrival is kind of an epilogue to ME2 (though it can technically be done before the end) but otherwise the rest pretty much fit in anywhere. It’s not a narrative reason but Kasumi’s quest should be done as soon as possible if you’re a class that uses SMGs because the gun you get from her mission is the best one in the game, also just one of the best guns in general.

This person is being far too kind. It's not because the Locust is one of the best guns in the game (it is) but because if at any point you need or want to use an smg, the default one is complete dogshit and it will be a very long time in the vanilla game before you have an opportunity to remedy that.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Man I wish there was a way to turn off auto weapon switch when out of ammo in 2, or at least it could switch to my previous weapon instead of the worthless pistol every time.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Doctor Nutt posted:

This person is being far too kind. It's not because the Locust is one of the best guns in the game (it is) but because if at any point you need or want to use an smg, the default one is complete dogshit and it will be a very long time in the vanilla game before you have an opportunity to remedy that.

To be precise, the only other SMG in the game is in Tali's recruitment mission.

God help you if you're using a Pistol/SMG class and you try to bring the default SMG into Horizon.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Yeah as Vanguard I've been using the Locust exclusively until just now when Shepard remembered she knows how to use an assault rifle and now I use the Mattock all the time. If ammo runs out, it's Locust time again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014
Is the Geth Plasma Shotgun just superior to the other shotguns? It's kinda weird to compare, with its different spread and long range. The charge shot seems kinda useless on insanity as a vanguard, you're gonna have a hard time getting chances to use it.