Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

This Harry Cole tweet neatly sums up the state, and the subservience, of the British Press. Boris literally stole his long term girlfriend off him and the guy is still out there dutifully brown nosing the happy couple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Christ this thread can be doomer as hell sometimes. We have over 70% of the population at least partially vaccinated. We may get a bump in cases as things open but deaths/hospital admissions probably won't be affected too much because most people who would have been screwed are protected now. It would be astronomically bad luck for a super strain able to completely ignore vaccines to suddenly appear. I mean OK it could happen, but it's very much in the 'worst case hypothetical' box, and it's maybe a little counterproductive to kill yourself with anxiety assuming if will. I am naturally quite anxious especially about health stuff, and I'm not particularly worried. I'd be very very surprised if we experienced another huge wave anything like we had last year.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(and lots of ammo for the machine-guns-on-the-Cliffs-of-Dover crowd),

Do we even have a basic domestic armaments industry or are the bullets also produced in China/India?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ThomasPaine posted:

Christ this thread can be doomer as hell sometimes. We have over 70% of the population at least partially vaccinated. We may get a bump in cases as things open but deaths/hospital admissions probably won't be affected too much because most people who would have been screwed are protected now. It would be astronomically bad luck for a super strain able to completely ignore vaccines to suddenly appear. I mean OK it could happen, but it's very much in the 'worst case hypothetical' box, and it's maybe a little counterproductive to kill yourself with anxiety assuming if will. I am naturally quite anxious especially about health stuff, and I'm not particularly worried. I'd be very very surprised if we experienced another huge wave anything like we had last year.

:cripes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose if there is a plus side I would imagine it is far more likely that a vaccine resistant variant would evolve somwhere else and be imported to the UK because the government cannot possibly learn from its mistakes, just because there are more people living outside the UK than in it.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

I don’t get this reaction. First jabs have been shown to be effective at reducing spread and symptoms. And the fear-mongering about people not actually getting a second jab due to supply seems to have been ill founded. OP ain’t wrong about people seemingly wanting to see a worst case scenario.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm by far the most covid cautious and pessimistic person I know and I still get blown away by how doomy goons get over this. We've seen plenty of mutations already and I don't doubt we'll see plenty more but at worst they push the numbers down on efficacy which is already being counteracted by vaccine revisions, all these predictions of Omega Neo Covid just around the corner seem like depressive nihilism more than anything else

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Aramoro posted:

I thought I would post about this here incase anyone is interested.

Basically Johnny 'Itch' Fox from the King Blues is a sex predator to a bunch of women in other bands etc talked about this at a festival and then in a youtube video. He's decided to sue them all, essentially to silence to group of women involved. This started in 2016 and as you can imagine it's a lengthy legal process and very expensive. To that end the group has setup a crowd funder for their legal expenses.

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/solidaritynotsilence/

and also a single which you can buy

https://solidaritynotsilence.bandcamp.com/

That sucks, King Blues are great

Another thing I like that must be thrown on the bonfire

Why do people suck so much

multijoe posted:

I'm by far the most covid cautious and pessimistic person I know and I still get blown away by how doomy goons get over this. We've seen plenty of mutations already and I don't doubt we'll see plenty more but at worst they push the numbers down on efficacy which is already being counteracted by vaccine revisions, all these predictions of Omega Neo Covid just around the corner seem like depressive nihilism more than anything else

We had a bunch of nearly-pandemics until it happened too, you can't just say "we've had loads of mutations already! That means there'll never be a worse one!".

Like, I get that it's better for one's mental health not to be too pessimistic, but being aware of the possibility that worse could come is basically pragmatism at this point. I think booster shots are going to be the norm for a long time, for instance. Covid is still raging across the world, multiplying trillions of times a second. I don't see why it's laughable to think that that's going to cause trouble down the line.

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 24, 2021

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Look, until I get my 3d printer powered by nano-machines that will let me make "ANYTHING" then can we hold off on the death apocalypse? After that, I'll happily live in my bunker till some poor sucker braves the (time) rain to bring me a pizza.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What is your death stranding name? Mine is Can'tbe Arsedman.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

IllusionistTrixie posted:

Look, until I get my 3d printer powered by nano-machines that will let me make "ANYTHING" then can we hold off on the death apocalypse? After that, I'll happily live in my bunker till some poor sucker braves the (time) rain to bring me a pizza.

hahaha I just started playing Death Stranding last week and I am utterly hooked.

It's also amazing that Kojima predicted the future once again. Dude's a prophet

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Azza Bamboo posted:

Again I think the word sore here is a noun. Sore as in a lesion. My money's on the guy having a leg ulcer that went septic.

My nan had a gnat bite on her leg that turned into a sore that turned into an ulcer which festered for 20 years despite nurses visiting twice a week to clean and dress it, and made it so she could barely walk (would take her an hour to cross the small living room on her walker) and other complications.
Really not fun.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Jakabite posted:

I don’t get this reaction. First jabs have been shown to be effective at reducing spread and symptoms. And the fear-mongering about people not actually getting a second jab due to supply seems to have been ill founded. OP ain’t wrong about people seemingly wanting to see a worst case scenario.

If people are going to twist themselves in knots with anxious thoughts you cant do much to help. The anxiety becomes their sookie blanket after a while.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Thank you so goddamn much for this, I've been worried sick that I'd never get my jags

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

First doses are significantly less effective but plenty effective enough to mitigate exponential spread and most deaths

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The other important thing to consider with a vaccine resistant variant is that it matters how that variant behaves in vaccinated individuals. There's a very long way between "can infect vaccinated individuals" and "triggers infections of similar severity to unvaccinated individuals". If the infections vaccinated people get are flu-like or weaker in severity (as in, it can leave you bedridden for a week, but if you're not at risk for other reasons, will not require you to visit ICU or be at serious risk of death), then that still resolves the main reason for the lockdown--to prevent a collapse of the healthcare system. Right now as I understand it, that appears to be the case with the indian variant--even in places where cases are rising, ICU admissions are remaining relatively stable.

It's entirely possible there will never be a fully effective vaccine against Covid. We could see it become a seasonal disease like flu where the vulnerable population needs a new vaccine every single year.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My nan had a gnat bite on her leg that turned into a sore that turned into an ulcer which festered for 20 years despite nurses visiting twice a week to clean and dress it, and made it so she could barely walk (would take her an hour to cross the small living room on her walker) and other complications.
Really not fun.

These need to be compressed and elevated or they will take ages (if ever) to heal. Cleaning and dressing just stops them getting infected and another tick in the "sore legge" column.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's another one that has someone die of piles. I occasionally raise a glass to their memory.

I'm still laughing at whoever is was who dodged the plague but killed themselves from falling down the stairs

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Aramoro posted:

I thought I would post about this here incase anyone is interested.

Basically Johnny 'Itch' Fox from the King Blues is a sex predator to a bunch of women in other bands etc talked about this at a festival and then in a youtube video. He's decided to sue them all, essentially to silence to group of women involved. This started in 2016 and as you can imagine it's a lengthy legal process and very expensive. To that end the group has setup a crowd funder for their legal expenses.

https://www.crowdjustice.com/case/solidaritynotsilence/

and also a single which you can buy

https://solidaritynotsilence.bandcamp.com/

gently caress, is this still on going? I heard about it years ago, around when I first heard Petrol Girls so that has to be 3 years ago?

It's so hosed up that legal aid isn't available to people being sued for defamation. Silencing survivors of sexual abuse through the courts, really loving anarchist Fox you scumbag

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 24, 2021

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
The joy of doomerism is the rare ability to say "I told you so"

like my buttplug.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

JollyBoyJohn posted:

If people are going to twist themselves in knots with anxious thoughts you cant do much to help. The anxiety becomes their sookie blanket after a while.
There's a big difference between 'anxiety' and:

You know, given the multiple times during this pandemic the 'doomsayers' have said something is a bad idea, and it has to the surprise of precisely three people turned out to be a very bad idea indeed.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Z the IVth posted:

These need to be compressed and elevated or they will take ages (if ever) to heal. Cleaning and dressing just stops them getting infected and another tick in the "sore legge" column.

A bit late - she died 25 years ago!
But there was a lot of things wrong with her that with what we know now could almost certainly have been fixed.
The not being able to walk thing - aggravated by the ulcer, and people kept muttering about hip replacements, but now I think deep tissue massage (which I get on my leg) would have sorted her out - she was a seamstress and spent a huge amount of time sitting on a hard wooden chair hand-sewing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Venomous posted:

Thank you so goddamn much for this, I've been worried sick that I'd never get my jags

Prescott?

(Hey I'm allowed one lovely typo joke for every actual helpful post I make)

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
you will never stop me ringing my big bell and yelling The Ende is Nigh everywhere i go :mad:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Prescott?

(Hey I'm allowed one lovely typo joke for every actual helpful post I make)

Typo? 'Jag' is a colloquial term for 'vaccination' in Scotland :confused:

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Well vaccination or partick thistle supporter

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Bobby Deluxe posted:

There's a big difference between 'anxiety' and:

You know, given the multiple times during this pandemic the 'doomsayers' have said something is a bad idea, and it has to the surprise of precisely three people turned out to be a very bad idea indeed.

There's an interesting book I'm reading called Thinking Fast and Slow that's effectively a showcase of numerous fallible elements of the human psyche. A running theme is how the workings of statistical and probability based analysis are so fundamentally counterintutive that even those highly educated in their ways are vulnerable to ordinary modalities of thinking. It exposes every "bias" of the human mind that this man, and his cohort, have uncovered in experiments. If you can get past the fact that the author is a former IDF lieutenant, it's a fantastic read.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Guavanaut posted:

It was worse than that, it was "some people say we should do absolutely nothing, but we might do something."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQDXmipIYF8
I've made an absolutely verbatim transcription of his answer.

Boris Johnson posted:

We-well, it’s a very, very important question, and, ah, that’s where a lot of the debate has, has been, and, ah, one of the theories is that, er, y'know, is that perhaps, ah, you could sort of takeitonthechin, take it all, uh, in one, in one go, and allow the disease as it were to, to move through the, the population. Ah, I, blup, without really taking as many draconian measures, I think - I think we need to strike a balance, I think it's very important, we've got a fantastic NHS, we'll give them all the support that they need, we'll make sure they have all the preparations, all the, the kit that they need to, for us to get through it, but I think it would be better if we take all the measures that we can now just to, uh, y'know, to stop the peak of the disease from being as, as, uh, difficult for the NHS as it, as it might be, and I think there are things that we might be able to do.
For one thing, great fuckin' oratory from this Oxford-educated toff. For another... even ignoring all the waffle that would normally be omitted from a transcription, he says nothing, he commits to nothing. There are platitudes about the NHS, but all he offers are vague suggestions that might be looked at, maybe, perhaps.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Well vaccination or partick thistle supporter

ah yes, the pinnacle of Scottish jags:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Payndz posted:

For one thing, great fuckin' oratory from this Oxford-educated toff. For another... even ignoring all the waffle that would normally be omitted from a transcription, he says nothing, he commits to nothing. There are platitudes about the NHS, but all he offers are vague suggestions that might be looked at, maybe, perhaps.

His entire MO is governing through plausible deniability.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Venomous posted:

ah yes, the pinnacle of Scottish jags:

Lersa Sermpson

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

u brexit ukip it posted:

I'm still laughing at whoever is was who dodged the plague but killed themselves from falling down the stairs

Seems like one of the better ways to go on there. Even the accidental deaths have a loving nasty pre-modern twist - drowning at St. Katherine's (a tiny parish downstream of the Tower, with only a hundred yards or so of river frontage) turns up almost weekly and doesn't make a lot of sense at first because the wharfs were upstream of there in the Pool, and the shipyards were down in Southwark and Deptford - you'd think there wouldn't be much activity in that one specific parish that would lead to so many drownings.

It makes much more sense (and horror) when you realise drowning in the Thames for both dock workers and sailors was almost unheard of. Most of the workers could swim to some extent and the docks were so busy (with men ideally equipped to pull someone out of the water) that you'd have to be spectacularly unlucky to drown. The docks weren't the only marine economy in London though. Mudlarks worked both banks of the Thames from Richmond all the way to Barking - kids mostly picking mussels and winkles out of the mud, but also doing a pretty good side trade in all of the assorted stuff that ended up in the river, from ropes and blocks to coins and precious metals.

The pickings for all of these were particularly rich that close to the City - but St. Katherine's had constantly-shifting quicksands and one of the fastest tidal flows anywhere on the river. I can't think of a much worse way to go than that, to be honest - already being poor enough that picking through the leavings of an open sewer is your only way of making a living, then a second's inattention leaving you stuck in the mud and poo poo, with the river coming up at almost a foot a minute and your mates unable to save you.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Venomous posted:

Look just because Robert Burns could get away with claiming spelling mistakes were another language doesn't mean you lot can.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Look just because Robert Burns could get away with claiming spelling mistakes were another language doesn't mean you lot can.

Twisto, you have to change your password, looks like Pissflaps is using your account :staredog:

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

Payndz posted:

This would actually fit perfectly with something I read (probably here) a year ago that he was having to put in actual hard work for the first time in his life because his publisher paid him a massive advance, and finally issued an ultimatum of "if we don't see a draft soon, we're cancelling the book and will demand all our money back. No, we don't care if you're the prime minister, that's not our problem."

that's insane lol, how do such lazy cunts get power?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

right inuff
ma language is disgraceful

ma maw tellt mi
ma teacher tellt mi
thi doactir tellt mi
thi priest tellt mi

ma boss tellt mi
ma landlady in carrington street tellt mi
thi lassie ah tried tay get aff way in 1969 tellt mi
sum wee smout thit thoat ah hudny read Chomsky tellt mi
a calvinistic communist thit thoat ah wuz revisionist tellt mi

po-faced literati grimly kerryin thi burden a thi past tellt mi
po-faced literati grimly kerryin thi burden a thi future tellt mi
ma wife telt me jist-tae-get-inty-this-poem tellt mi
ma wainz came hame fray school an tellt mi
jist aboot ivry book ah oapned tellt mi
even thi introduction tay thi Scottish National Dictionary tellt mi

ach well
all livin language is sacred
gently caress thi lohta thim

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 24, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Do we even have a basic domestic armaments industry or are the bullets also produced in China/India?

We can probably still manage pikes.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Venomous posted:

right inuff
ma language is disgraceful

ma maw tellt mi
ma teacher tellt mi
thi doactir tellt mi
thi priest tellt mi

ma boss tellt mi
ma landlady in carrington street tellt mi
thi lassie ah tried tay get aff way in 1969 tellt mi
sum wee smout thit thoat ah hudny read Chomsky tellt mi
a calvinistic communist thit thoat ah wuz revisionist tellt mi

po-faced literati grimly kerryin thi burden a thi past tellt mi
po-faced literati grimly kerryin thi burden a thi future tellt mi
ma wife telt me jist-tae-get-inty-this-poem tellt mi
ma wainz came hame fray school an tellt mi
jist aboot ivry book ah oapned tellt mi
even thi introduction tay thi Scottish National Dictionary tellt mi

ach well
all livin language is sacred
gently caress thi lohta thim

On first glance I thought this was the 6 O'clock News poem from GCSE English but after Googling it's the same poet. Seems he had a shtick and stuck to it.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ThomasPaine posted:

First doses are significantly less effective but plenty effective enough to mitigate exponential spread and most deaths

For the "wild type," definitely.

You're not understanding what I'm saying. Having a partially vaccinated population, who's vaccinated portion contains varying degrees of immunization because of the need for multiple doses, is a breeding ground for vaccine-resistant variants.

Here's the dynamic: unvaccinated individuals become infected with, say, the Modi variant. That infected, unvaccinated individual sheds billions or trillions of viral particles, each of which can harbor a mutation. Because of the lag between the beginning of viral shed and symptoms, this person spreads viral particles to a number of vaccinated people. Most are neutralized by the vaccinated people's antibodies, but one unlucky bastard snorts up a particle that can evade antibodies generated by the vaccine. Because that person thinks that they are totally immune, they take no precautions. Hell, they may not even have symptoms! But, now a vaccine-resistant strain has gained a toehold into the vaccinated population, and we're back to square one.

This effect can be dampened by things like social distancing and wearing masks, but the US and UK have decided that the minor inconveniences that accompany these problems are too much for our corrupt society to handle, so they've instead decided on producing just about the most optimal conditions imaginable to generate vaccine-resistant strains of coronavirus, negating the (IMHO) loving miracle of mRNA vaccines.

The other thing that blows my mind is how people just don't seem to understand this possibility, this is like evolution 101.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Venomous posted:

Yes. A friend of mine of Scottish origins was going on about jags and noone knew what she was on about. And she was carefully advising a mutual American friend that jab meant to elbow someone or poke them with your finger. Eventually she cottoned on to the fact that 'jag' is used in Scotland but everywhere else in the entire universe* says 'jab'.

*poetic exaggeration

Azza Bamboo posted:

There's an interesting book I'm reading called Thinking Fast and Slow that's effectively a showcase of numerous fallible elements of the human psyche. A running theme is how the workings of statistical and probability based analysis are so fundamentally counterintutive that even those highly educated in their ways are vulnerable to ordinary modalities of thinking. It exposes every "bias" of the human mind that this man, and his cohort, have uncovered in experiments. If you can get past the fact that the author is a former IDF lieutenant, it's a fantastic read.

I read that a few years ago. Yes, great book. Is that the one where he gives real life examples of when you are in a very highly stressed situation, your mind focuses right down and you basically see what you want to see (eg someone going for their wallet, your brain perceives as going for a gun and bang bang baby your dead.)
(I might be misremembering whether it is that book or not).

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 24, 2021