Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Frush posted:

I just grabbed this on the Steam sale yesterday. I've got a load of hours into Civ 5 so I'm not new, but it seems like there's a lot of changes after all the DLC. Is there a good post or guide I can use to get up to speed quick? The OP isn't up to date and I didn't see anything going back a handful of pages.

Poke around some potato mc whiskey vids. he does a good job of explaining how and why he does things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to get a win as Haralda. Is it just me or does he get the most dogshit starts? I spawn on a lake instead of coast about half the time.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

resting bort face posted:

I'm trying to get a win as Haralda. Is it just me or does he get the most dogshit starts? I spawn on a lake instead of coast about half the time.

IIRC, I opted for either the clover or snowflake start with him. I pillaged everyone who didn't have any form of navy early on for $$$, made peace+rushed center with mid eras, then sealed in with Domination or Religious. Can't honestly remember which. But if it was religious, I probably squashed the token wussy/competing religious empire to speed it along.

Harmonia
Jul 1, 2014
Firaxis has several new games announced this year:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/civilization-vi/firaxis-new-game-2021

I wonder what they could be? Xcom 3 could be one of them. I hope they announce Civ 7 though.

E3 is in couple of weeks, maybe we hear something there.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

turboraton posted:

Controversial opinion, Civ6 is NOT a trash fire.

Civ 6 is already my favorite Civ

AI is bad, for sure. Also world congress is dumb, no doubt about that

But still I have more fun playing it than I had with any of the previous civ games so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Hi, I'm the oddball who prefers Civ5 over Civ6. Hundreds of hours with 5 but only managed a couple dozen with 6. Civ6 was just way too busy for me with all the extra things to keep track of.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Is there something wrong with the forest fire mechanic? I'm playing the TSL earth huge map and the Amazon has had Forrest fires burning for the entire game. All the jungle tiles have been fertilized so much that they're like, 15 food\hammers each and it's a little ridiculous.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

An excellent post.

I seem to recall you're not personally a fan, but I gotta recommend the Vox Populi megamod again. It is full of balance fixes and new features.

I've found a pretty enjoyable set-up. Huge map, 12 civs, 12 city states, randomised victory conditions (i.e. only one of science, culture or diplo is made available, in the atomic era)

I'm currently sailing a giant roman navy to the opposite side of the world because persia is bullying literally everyone and becoming bigger and bigger

vox populi is good but it's riddled with bugs that nobody cared to fix. for instance, any custom unique buildings the mod adds may randomly become Nothing, where their description becomes blank and their effect is nullified but you still pay upkeep on the building. if you try to sell it, you can, but then you can never reconstruct it.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Civ V VP is the best Civ has ever been, imo. Especially with a few sub mods. I just wish it wasn’t teetering on an incredibly rickety technical platform.

Nevertheless, I can play VP India basically forever.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Heer98 posted:

Is there something wrong with the forest fire mechanic? I'm playing the TSL earth huge map and the Amazon has had Forrest fires burning for the entire game. All the jungle tiles have been fertilized so much that they're like, 15 food\hammers each and it's a little ridiculous.

Yes, the mechanic is broken in maps with large forests.

It takes six turns for a woods/rainforest tile to burn and regrow. On turns 2 and 3, it can spread to adjacent woods/rainforest. If a forest is sufficiently big, and there are many "loops" of length 5+ that can be drawn through woods/rainforest tiles, then chances become good that fire will spread one way but not the other (just by chance), and continue spreading around until re-igniting the original tile. This can continue indefinitely, but since it's reliant on random chance, it won't actually last forever. But for a large enough forest, it can easily go for many, many iterations. IDK whether disaster level affects the spread chance (although obviously it affects the chances of starting in the first place), but from some googling it seems like probably not - this happens both on regular disaster level and on high disaster level.

There is a practical limit to the spread, though, because (IME anyway) the game will crash if too many tiles have forest fires at the same time (globally, not just visible). It seems to me that it might be exacerbated by multiplayer, but idk for sure.

Forest fires cause population loss even if there are no citizens in the tile that's burning, and every tile that ignites within a city's borders causes one population loss. The only way to stop yourself from endlessly dying to forest fires, if your city is in a big forest, is to clear-cut it (assuming that your builders don't catch fire and die).

I once created a Huge custom map (based on Middle-Earth), and it had a really big forest (Mirkwood), and I had to edit it by deleting a line of woods across the center to stop forest fires from spreading too far and crashing the game. The result was two forests that had tiles that burned 5+ times in an online-speed game. At regular speed they could've easily gotten to the double-digit food/production. The AI that was in the forest, meanwhile, was completely crippled, despite having crazy good tile yields. My advice is: don't start in a huge forest, and when you do find one with good yields and plop a city there in the mid-late game, buy out its borders and cut down a ring of firebreak around the edge. This is only really relevant for Earth and other fixed maps, as the random mapgen doesn't really create forests big enough.

Also, forest fires are the only natural disaster that gives bonus yields when created by a soothsayer in Apocalypse Mode. That's not relevant to this discussion but I do think it is weird.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
I see the Civ 6 expansions have pretty mixed reviews on Steam. Are the benefits they provide better than the bad?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i got the gathering storm expansion a few months back for a tenner. it was all right, i played like three more games with it. i would say i got my money's worth, but i did get a good deal on it.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I launched up a huge earth true start game and every civ was either in europe or on the Mediterranean. I went on a tear to start capturing capitols (helped by recruiting from barb tribes) but I just kept meeting more people smashed together and had to settle after 5. Not quite the game I was looking for.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Revitalized posted:

I see the Civ 6 expansions have pretty mixed reviews on Steam. Are the benefits they provide better than the bad?

Without looking I'd say that most of their expansions get review bombed because of the price rather than the content. There are some legitimate criticisms with the content but if you don't try to do a cost benefit analysis then the expansions are definitely an improvement over the base game. I think both add things necessary to get a more complete experience, but I could definitely see if someone didn't want to deal with the environment or thought governors were imbalanced.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Also to be honest, one recurrent complaint is the expansions keep bolting on new stuff to do but the AI can't handle them so in practice every expansion makes the game even easier by giving the player extra tools that the AI can't deal with

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

For some cheese, start the TSL Huge Earth as Gaul with France and Bologna in the game for 3 free settlers. Will probably work for any of the civs in Western Europe.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

That sounds fun to mess around with. I found this:

One of the French would be the most ridiculous, but Hungary+Poland might be better because after you grab some free settlers, you have room to the east? Or Greece/Macedon/Bzyantium/Ottomans...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Nosre posted:

That sounds fun to mess around with. I found this:

One of the French would be the most ridiculous, but Hungary+Poland might be better because after you grab some free settlers, you have room to the east? Or Greece/Macedon/Bzyantium/Ottomans...

That and predictable resource locations are the reason I enjoy TSL games.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Revitalized posted:

Both expansions are must have, imo

Season pass DLCs have some fun things but you can safely skip

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I started a TSL Huge Earth game and lost within 50 turns because of loyalty. I was Greece, with Rome and Egypt close by. That was disappointing. I'll have to start again with a mod that tweaks loyalty for when cities are very close together.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

There's a mod somewhere that makes capitals immune to loyalty pressure.

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o
I still miss sending the severely powered up cultists in and flipping a +40 loyalty city in one turn, then auto-securing the city by being Eleanor.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009

DontMockMySmock posted:

Yes, the mechanic is broken in maps with large forests.

It takes six turns for a woods/rainforest tile to burn and regrow. On turns 2 and 3, it can spread to adjacent woods/rainforest. If a forest is sufficiently big, and there are many "loops" of length 5+ that can be drawn through woods/rainforest tiles, then chances become good that fire will spread one way but not the other (just by chance), and continue spreading around until re-igniting the original tile. This can continue indefinitely, but since it's reliant on random chance, it won't actually last forever. But for a large enough forest, it can easily go for many, many iterations. IDK whether disaster level affects the spread chance (although obviously it affects the chances of starting in the first place), but from some googling it seems like probably not - this happens both on regular disaster level and on high disaster level.

There is a practical limit to the spread, though, because (IME anyway) the game will crash if too many tiles have forest fires at the same time (globally, not just visible). It seems to me that it might be exacerbated by multiplayer, but idk for sure.

Forest fires cause population loss even if there are no citizens in the tile that's burning, and every tile that ignites within a city's borders causes one population loss. The only way to stop yourself from endlessly dying to forest fires, if your city is in a big forest, is to clear-cut it (assuming that your builders don't catch fire and die).

I once created a Huge custom map (based on Middle-Earth), and it had a really big forest (Mirkwood), and I had to edit it by deleting a line of woods across the center to stop forest fires from spreading too far and crashing the game. The result was two forests that had tiles that burned 5+ times in an online-speed game. At regular speed they could've easily gotten to the double-digit food/production. The AI that was in the forest, meanwhile, was completely crippled, despite having crazy good tile yields. My advice is: don't start in a huge forest, and when you do find one with good yields and plop a city there in the mid-late game, buy out its borders and cut down a ring of firebreak around the edge. This is only really relevant for Earth and other fixed maps, as the random mapgen doesn't really create forests big enough.

Also, forest fires are the only natural disaster that gives bonus yields when created by a soothsayer in Apocalypse Mode. That's not relevant to this discussion but I do think it is weird.

This is really cool, thanks!

My current game has turned into a joke since my new founded cities around the Amazon all have like, 100 food\production ten turns after I settle them. If you painstakingly chop rainforest, one tile at a time, you can safely work those sweet, sweet yields.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

is there a mod or method to let you (diplomatically) make civs stop going after your city states? Look at this, dude has a hit squad of mechs running around murdering all the ones that popped up on the edges

stop it fucker, I have Kilwa Kisiwani

I guess there's "surround them all with your units", but that's not really feasible for all of them

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Something that really tickles me is trying civs I don't, on first glance, like at all but end up steamrolling through. I think I somehow ended up with...1000 culture by either industrial or modern era with the Kongo. I was pulling great people non-stop the entire game.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I hope this thread is a suitable place to ask for help on this. I've got a game of Caveman 2 Cosmos I've been running on Civ 4 for a while and suddenly the map's broken so it only shows me a small section of the world and won't let me move beyond those borders. I can jump to cities beyond those borders but then the map shows their section without letting me back to the old one. Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this? (I already tried uninstalling/reinstalling both the game and the mod) I'm at the end of the Ancient Era so even though it's not really that far in it's still been a huge time investment and it would be gutting to have to start over

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Does anyone have any advice regarding art museums vs. archeological museums? That is, when I have to choose between one and the other, what kinds of considerations do I need to make?

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

resting bort face posted:

Does anyone have any advice regarding art museums vs. archeological museums? That is, when I have to choose between one and the other, what kinds of considerations do I need to make?
They provide the same benefits in terms of great people points. Basically, if you're building a lot/going for a culture victory you'll get proportionally more great artists and will need some place to stash the art, so your later museums should maybe be more art.

Conversely, you're essentially guaranteed to get the benefits with arch. museums so if you only are building a few then the bias should be more towards arch's.

In terms of which cities to build them in, remember that while filling an art museum is a crapshoot, great people don't cost anything unless you have to buy them. Archaeologists take quite a bit of production or gold to create, so build arch. museums in bigger, older, high production cities, and art more towards your periphery.

Also remember the first of each gives you a civics boost if you build early enough.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
That's very helpful, thank you.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Also! Sometimes you just need an archaeological museum so you can remove that loving ruin that's blocking you from placing a great campus, or from completing a farm triangle.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I wish the relic spots didn't take up a tile but also randomly popped up through the ages. If they were going to take up a tile then let me put an improvement on them to have them be like a minor national park kind of place.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Also also! Each archeological expedition gives you an era point, so again, if you’re pushing wonders and people you should push great artists because you’ll usually be good for era points; if you’re not, or running behind, push archeology to stay out of dark ages.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New mod out today from the same modder(s?) that made the (imo) essential City Lights: National Wonders. As you might expect it’s a version of the National Wonder system from Civ V implemented as tile-based wonders with some excellent modeling. Seems like an easy subscribe.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

In the earlier games you could send a ship on ocean tiles before you invented ocean-worthy ships but there was a chance to lose your ship. I miss that tbh. It was always a gamble but sometimes you were able to discover a continent like the vikings did irl.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

John F Bennett posted:

In the earlier games you could send a ship on ocean tiles before you invented ocean-worthy ships but there was a chance to lose your ship. I miss that tbh. It was always a gamble but sometimes you were able to discover a continent like the vikings did irl.

Problem with that is can always save before so is not really a gamble (unless you are playing MP)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Elias_Maluco posted:

Problem with that is can always save before so is not really a gamble (unless you are playing MP)
You've clearly never played multiplayer with one of my friends who did demand to savescum goodie huts if he didn't get a settler, worker or possibly a tech because "you fall behind too much if you don't get one". :v:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Poil posted:

You've clearly never played multiplayer with one of my friends who did demand to savescum goodie huts if he didn't get a settler, worker or possibly a tech because "you fall behind too much if you don't get one". :v:

lol. yeah I never played MP

I dont savescum like that even in SP, mostly because my PC takes like 5 minutes to load the drat game

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Elias_Maluco posted:

Even without saving, the trade benefits were often worth losing a few galleys. But the AI would never bother, so it was just a built in advantage to the player.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

lol. yeah I never played MP

I dont savescum like that even in SP, mostly because my PC takes like 5 minutes to load the drat game

I feel like in the next game there should be additional starting narration that sasses you if you save scum.

I like that each era gets it's own narration but it's kind of lost if you're playing for hours on end, so I hope in the next game they have more ancient era quotes and try to tailor future load screens based off the latest thing that gave you a large chunk of era score or something more interesting than just whatever era it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
TSL earth maps all have this weird thing where they feel simultaneously too big and too small at the same time. Like, individual regions never feel large enough (India, Australia, etc) but the map is still huge. Feels like maybe a limit of the grid + city system? I guess what I really want is a combination of a Paradox style “region” system with civs board game + exploration feeling ...

Also also, what’s the difficulty bump like between Immortal and Deity? I’ve been winning comfortably + regularly on Immortal and was thinking of jumping up to Deity; I’m guessing that, at the least, the number of viable strategies decreases and the early game AI-warrior-rush is that much more obnoxious?