Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Seems like one of the better ways to go on there. Even the accidental deaths have a loving nasty pre-modern twist - drowning at St. Katherine's (a tiny parish downstream of the Tower, with only a hundred yards or so of river frontage) turns up almost weekly and doesn't make a lot of sense at first because the wharfs were upstream of there in the Pool, and the shipyards were down in Southwark and Deptford - you'd think there wouldn't be much activity in that one specific parish that would lead to so many drownings.

It makes much more sense (and horror) when you realise drowning in the Thames for both dock workers and sailors was almost unheard of. Most of the workers could swim to some extent and the docks were so busy (with men ideally equipped to pull someone out of the water) that you'd have to be spectacularly unlucky to drown. The docks weren't the only marine economy in London though. Mudlarks worked both banks of the Thames from Richmond all the way to Barking - kids mostly picking mussels and winkles out of the mud, but also doing a pretty good side trade in all of the assorted stuff that ended up in the river, from ropes and blocks to coins and precious metals.

The pickings for all of these were particularly rich that close to the City - but St. Katherine's had constantly-shifting quicksands and one of the fastest tidal flows anywhere on the river. I can't think of a much worse way to go than that, to be honest - already being poor enough that picking through the leavings of an open sewer is your only way of making a living, then a second's inattention leaving you stuck in the mud and poo poo, with the river coming up at almost a foot a minute and your mates unable to save you.

Twisto this is horrifying but all these posts are really interesting so I also want you to write a whole book about how people died in the early modern era

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

PNGYAKUZA posted:

that's insane lol, how do such lazy cunts get power?

I’m not sure this is all that unusual for writers mind you.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

mycomancy posted:

the US and UK have decided that the minor inconveniences that accompany these problems are too much for our corrupt society to handle

Politicians maybe, and of course other idiots, but surely some of the population will be taking precautions for a long time. I had my second AZ jab 4 weeks ago but, now I have masks, why would I stop wearing them in shops? It's not like ordinary colds were enjoyable.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Oh dear me posted:

Politicians maybe, and of course other idiots, but surely some of the population will be taking precautions for a long time. I had my second AZ jab 4 weeks ago but, now I have masks, why would I stop wearing them in shops? It's not like ordinary colds were enjoyable.

Lol I know right? Same here, I'm never not wearing a mask ever again.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I'll probably deign to take it off in restaurants or pubs (one day) but yeah, shopping and public transport and that I'm definitely masking up

EDIT I guess not the gym either, which sucks cos gyms are absolute germ central no matter what

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Topical:

https://twitter.com/markdistef/status/1396821228778926082?s=21

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Once I get my two jabs I'm running around licking everything to get my immune system back up, there's gonna be a lotta freshers flus when us coddled WFH types re-enter the world

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

stev posted:

On first glance I thought this was the 6 O'clock News poem from GCSE English but after Googling it's the same poet. Seems he had a shtick and stuck to it.

tbh Tom Leonard's one of my favourite poets ever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interesting that you read Six O'Clock News for your GCSEs. Never came across him until I got to uni tbh, but in my experience secondary education in Scotland doesn't really encourage you to read texts that diverge from standard orthographies or standard literary forms.

Leonard was always touchy about his work being called 'Scots', because it's really just English as presented by a working class Glaswegian speaker, and I guess that's why you had to read him in your GCSEs. The idea of a correct way of speaking and writing the English language, after all, is a legacy of the British Empire, and that extends to the baffling idea that there's a standard 'Scots' language when there's nothing of the sort. I know that has very little to do with what you said, but it relates to what twisto was talking about earlier, so it's worth mentioning while we're on the subject.

Edwin Muir had a really good take on this in his book on Walter Scott, but idk where or even if I can find it online lmao

Venomous fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 24, 2021

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Venomous posted:

tbh Tom Leonard's one of my favourite poets ever ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interesting that you read Six O'Clock News for your GCSEs. Never came across him until I got to uni tbh, but in my experience secondary education in Scotland doesn't really encourage you to read texts that diverge from standard orthographies or standard literary forms.

It was one of the poems featured in this bad boy, which for most English people who went to secondary school in the late 2000s is the sum total of the poetry we've been exposed to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And nothing has ever made me hate poetry more except for the rime of the ancient mariner.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Payndz posted:

I've made an absolutely verbatim transcription of his answer.

For one thing, great fuckin' oratory from this Oxford-educated toff. For another... even ignoring all the waffle that would normally be omitted from a transcription, he says nothing, he commits to nothing. There are platitudes about the NHS, but all he offers are vague suggestions that might be looked at, maybe, perhaps.
He's definitely heard 'take it on the chin' from someone else and wants it to be part of the message, that's the only part he says clearly.

I'm not saying that's Boris Johnson, meme genius, trying to make that the only part people take away from it, it was probably more like he was loving about avoiding meetings as usual, and some in his circle of contacts kept going "this one looks like it could be important, maybe you should attend some meetings" and someone else (in my mind Stanley Johnson, but could have been many people) went on about how it's only a bloody flu and people need to take it on the chin and that somehow got lodged in whatever passes for his speech cortex.

mycomancy posted:

the Modi variant
I'm glad that my lovely Leaders Variant Nomenclature is taking off.

mycomancy posted:

Lol I know right? Same here, I'm never not wearing a mask ever again.
I really do hope it stays around as a cultural thing when people are sick.

Venomous posted:

Leonard was always touchy about his work being called 'Scots', because it's really just English as presented by a working class Glaswegian speaker, and I guess that's why you had to read him in your GCSEs. The idea of a correct way of speaking and writing the English language, after all, is a legacy of the British Empire, and that extends to the baffling idea that there's a standard 'Scots' language when there's nothing of the sort. I know that has very little to do with what you said, but it relates to what twisto was talking about earlier, so it's worth mentioning while we're on the subject.
Bring back Weyver imo.

Thur was owd black coats and dirndl skirts,
'Andbags, clogs an' frayed owd shirts,
Ties bi t' duzen an' cracked owd dishes,
An' a big glass bowl as were meant fer fishes,
Mouse e'ten candles and socks bi t' score,
Books fer gardnin' and books ont' War,
Books wi' bare women as were meant fer Art,
An' a dirty owd gas stove as were droppin' apart.

("Books wi' bare women as were meant fer Art," sounds like one of crispix's character posts.)

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Guavanaut posted:

I'm glad that my lovely Leaders Variant Nomenclature is taking off.

Was that you who started it? It's good nomenclature.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Poetry can be a laboratory for the language. Nothing is sacred, and everything can be toyed with. Rhymes, meters, images, meanings; even how words are formatted on a page is an experiment some have made. Like science, whether the experiment has to produce some useful innovation is a philosophical discussion in itself. I love poetry because it tests the ways we can communicate with our language, even if nothing came of it. I believe something does come of it, though. It finds unsung features of our words, images and meanings, then sings them. Yes it can be vain and pretentious, but as someone who draws I say that a search for attention is not exactly uncommon in an art.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Crude limericks about cocks are actually the purest form of poetry.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Poetry is loving dead.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

stev posted:

It was one of the poems featured in this bad boy, which for most English people who went to secondary school in the late 2000s is the sum total of the poetry we've been exposed to.

I'm old enough to have had Geoffrey Summerfield's Voices anthologies, which were fuckin' awesome.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
In fact this has inspired me to attempt experiments on the same vein as poetry.

Coincidences in Meter.

It is important not to read these words in a poetic way, but to sound them naturally, as they would be spoken.

God save the queen; Take back control.
Take back control; Get Brexit done.

Winston Churchill; Marg'ret Thatcher.
Marg'ret Thatcher; Boris Johnson.

Rivers of Blood; Border Control.
Border Control; Priti Patel.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/Eve_Barlow/status/1396830632634847241

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'd start a free parking protest

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Poetry's the extreme of language, you get utter dross, and you get some of the most impactful and emotive turns of phrase you'll ever hear or read, often from the same author, sometimes in the same poem.

Like Shakespeare though, I think modern English lessons seriously damage appreciation the art, because we put some really great poems in front of kids who don't have the emotional experience to relate to them, and then ask them to read aloud stuff they can't relate to. I do hope that the pandemic forcing more technology into teaching will lead to teachers using videos of plays and poetry recitals instead of just having Steve, age 13 and a half, read a passage with the passion of a particularly boring accountant.

Here's one of my favourites, a classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB4cdRgIcB8

I'm also very fond of this stanza from Emily Dickinson's untitled poem 372, about what it feels like to go numb after suffering a great loss:

quote:

This is the Hour of Lead
Remembered, if outlived,
As Freezing persons recollect the Snow
First chill, then stupor, then the letting go

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I have to admit that I'd never heard of that until today either, and I'm intrigued as to whether jab or jag came first, if they're descended from the same root (and if not how suck similar words got into each language).

Unfortunately the temptation to poke a little fun at my Caledonian comrades won out. The flaps comparison wounded me though.

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m not sure this is all that unusual for writers mind you.

I have no frame of reference to be fair so I have no idea if that's normal or not.

I know it's anecdotal and stuff but it's mad seeing people say Jews as a monolith are sick of free Palestine stuff cause every single Jewish person I know are very vocally condeming Israel. Hell even the one Jewish Israeli dude I know thinks Israel is invalid.
Also isn't that the woman who said she "kept receipts" for Rage against the machine lol

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Twisto this is horrifying but all these posts are really interesting so I also want you to write a whole book about how people died in the early modern era

It's a good enough idea that I'd be very surprised if it's not already been covered from every possible angle. Might be a fun jumping off point for fiction though, if nothing else the coincidence of someone found dead in Stepney and someone else being murdered there the next year with people suspiciously dying in breweries and falling down stairs the same weeks, could be good for a Restoration Goodfellas.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I just had a look at her Twitter feed and, well...

It honestly puzzles me how so many people with completely deranged worldviews nonetheless manage to hold down a professional job and not get arrested or committed. It's like there's no overlap between their 'normal' lives and their insane Twitter posting.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

PNGYAKUZA posted:

I know it's anecdotal and stuff but it's mad seeing people say Jews as a monolith are sick of free Palestine stuff cause every single Jewish person I know are very vocally condeming Israel. Hell even the one Jewish Israeli dude I know thinks Israel is invalid.
Also isn't that the woman who said she "kept receipts" for Rage against the machine lol

Right wing jews love pretending that left wing jews don't exist. Practically a hobby at this point.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PNGYAKUZA posted:

I have no frame of reference to be fair so I have no idea if that's normal or not.

I know it's anecdotal and stuff but it's mad seeing people say Jews as a monolith are sick of free Palestine stuff cause every single Jewish person I know are very vocally condeming Israel.

I mean I imagine bluetick zionist twitter probably doesn't associate much with the people you associate with, so for them it quite possibly is everyone they know because they have mentally and/or physically excluded everyone else.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I read "My Jewish friend saw a sign that said FREE PARKING" and thought the rest was going to be an antisemitic joke about money or something. Instead it was worse.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I have to admit that I'd never heard of that until today either, and I'm intrigued as to whether jab or jag came first, if they're descended from the same root (and if not how suck similar words got into each language).

Unfortunately the temptation to poke a little fun at my Caledonian comrades won out. The flaps comparison wounded me though.

Apparently the first recorded usage of both in the sense that would ultimately come to mean an injection is from the 16th century. Jab as an injection derives from jab as a strike, particularly with a thrusting point. Meanwhile jag as injection derives from jag as a spike, particularly the kind you get on plants (which can stick in your skin). It looks like the etymologies going back further are unknown, but you can see how both words could be analogised to an injection.

EDIT: Incidentally this is why Partick Thistle are nicknamed The Jags, because thistles are jaggy.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 15:57 on May 24, 2021

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm constantly being told by the English wife about how the words I use are not used everywhere. Like messages for groceries, I've never lived in England so how would I know they don't use the right words.

I would go as far to say that 'jag' isn't Scottish so much as it's West Coast of Scotland, elsewhere says jab.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reveilled posted:

jag as a spike, particularly the kind you get on plants (which can stick in your skin).

Ah so "jagged" literally means "having jags" then.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
max mosely is dead lmao

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

Reveilled posted:

Here's one of my favourites, a classic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB4cdRgIcB8

drat, blew it at the end there, you have to pronounce it more-eye otherwise it doesn't rhyme with lie. Doesn't count as a poem.

0/10

PNGYAKUZA
Apr 21, 2021

I'm not a monster, it's just a mask.

Miftan posted:

Right wing jews love pretending that left wing jews don't exist. Practically a hobby at this point.

Yeah, hell I even heard Israel is now ignoring a lot of American Jews cause they have more support from evangelicals cause of the end times.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I imagine bluetick zionist twitter probably doesn't associate much with the people you associate with, so for them it quite possibly is everyone they know because they have mentally and/or physically excluded everyone else.

Yeah lol, they're a bit crazy like.

Tasty Pi
Nov 5, 2005
Yum

MeinPanzer posted:

Broadband chat:

I had a rep from GoFibre come to my door the other day explaining that they were receiving vouchers from the Scottish gov to install high-speed fibre connections at no interest to homeowners so long as they agree to a plan ahead of time and were gauging interest in our neighbourhood. My current broadband plan with NowTV expires in September, so I was thinking of signing up, since I currently get about 35 Mbps and for the same price GoFibre's plan would guarantee 200 Mbps, but I'm wary that there might be some catch.

Has anyone had any experience with this sort of arrangement and/or been a customer of GoFibre?

From a couple of pages back but I've been through this recently with another provider under the SBVS scheme. I was also engaged with GoFibre but that fell through.

Assuming you're in Scotland and this is with the SBVS scheme the catch as it were is that you're agreeing to take a superfast contact with GoFibre (or any other registered supplier) for a minimum of 12 months.

The other catch is that GoFibre are likely reliant on many households signing up so they can roll out fibre en-mass. If they don't get enough interest it won't go ahead.

Also you can only claim under the scheme once (unless your claim falls through). So if you're not happy with GoFibre and wanted to use another supplier you wouldn't be granted a second voucher.

My experience with GoFibre was pretty positive but it fell through as there wasn't enough interest. I've ended up with another 4G based solution which is fine... But it's more expensive and less reliable than true fibre.

Tasty Pi fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 24, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Mugsbaloney posted:

drat, blew it at the end there, you have to pronounce it more-eye otherwise it doesn't rhyme with lie. Doesn't count as a poem.

0/10

I know you're kidding, but it does actually rhyme!

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

One thing I really like about the poem is how it broke the entire meaning of that phrase. Before it was published people would use the line without a thought of irony or self-reflection. Now you basically can't use it like that any more, it lives on only as the lie it's called out as in this poem.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Aramoro posted:

Like messages for groceries

Like what now

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

keep punching joe posted:

max mosely is dead lmao

Wonder if this is to be another case where all types of crazy poo poo comes out now the threat if libel is gone

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Folk will say they're off to get the messages meaning going shopping. I was unware of this until my wife pointed out she had no idea what I meant by 'going to get the messages'

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Aramoro posted:

Folk will say they're off to get the messages meaning going shopping. I was unware of this until my wife pointed out she had no idea what I meant by 'going to get the messages'

That has to be made up to annoy foreigners, there is no throughline between those two words.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That has to be made up to annoy foreigners, there is no throughline between those two words.

I believe it's speculative, but messages as a term for groceries likely derives from the Old French "mes" meaning a small amount of food. This was borrowed into English as the term "mess", see "eton mess" and "mess hall", and also into Scottish English as "messages", with mess-age being the thing you would need to make mess.