Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Thing with the ol' minidillos is that if they get poisoned they turn light blue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gambrinus posted:

Afternoon all.

I'm very much a lurker on this thread and site overall but really could do with some help to solve a problem of my own making.

I've been getting overpaid by work (NHS) for on-call duties since Feb 2020 (I stopped on-call duties in Jan 2020). For some reason I didn't say anything at the time, assuming they would notice and take it out of my next pay slip in March 2020. However they've carried on overpaying me and I've buried my head in the sand about it in case I got in trouble and now we're here and I need to get it fixed before I'm properly hosed.

I spent ten minutes on the phone to payroll today with no answer. How do I fix this and what is going to happen to me? It's the best job I've ever had and I'm scared I may have totally hosed it.

Any advice appreciated.

(Not a begging thread - I could pay the money back tomorrow if I had to).

Have you informed your line manager? Document every instance you've made trying to get this resolved including what you've done today. If you feel comfortable posting about it, how did Payroll react to this?

Have you got a copy of your employee handbook? Have a ready through it and see what your obligations are regards to overpayments.

15 months of just letting yourself be overpaid is not good and there may be disciplinary issues in your future. Ignorance is not an excuse for cases like this and whatever you do DO NOT say you 'just assumed they would take it out your next pay slip' as that will raise questions about why you didn't attempt to correct it straight away.

The fact you're trying to sort it out before it has been noticed by someone else will stand you in good stead. If you are in a union, please contact them for their advice.

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 24, 2021

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

EvilHawk posted:

The emailing is just to keep a trail going. To be clear: they can't ask for more than what they've paid you back, so there's no danger of interest accruing or anything like that, and it's reasonable for you to agree to pay it back over x period of time.

I'm surprised they're not chasing this more though, when it happened to me my company were hot on my heels as soon as I noticed.

It's public sector, I imagine the payroll system is so byzantine and goes through so many different depts that it would be a miracle if it was ever picked up at all if no-one drew attention to it. A similar thing happened to me a while back (also public sector) - I was a seasonal worker and between seasons they just... kept paying me. I was flat broke at the time and was very tempted to just ignore it and live the high life being paid to sit on my rear end, but in the end decided the possible fraud conviction wouldn't be worth it so let them know and paid it back. I often wonder if anyone would have been any the wiser had I kept quiet. No one in payroll gives a poo poo about anything beyond getting through the day, and if an initial mistake slips through the cracks I could well see the fact they were paying a seasonal worker full time never being even noticed because the precedent had been set. This goes double as it a nationwide org and I was based in a bumfuck town while all the central admin staff were at HQ in Edinburgh and didn't know anyone at the other sites as anything more than reference numbers.

e: I'm not suggesting OP does actually ignore it, it's probably not a worthwhile gamble especially if it's a good job. As someone who was extremely poor, hated my job, and knew I was leaving ASAP anyway though, god it was tempting.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 24, 2021

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Chances are: a form was either filled in incorrectly, or was submitted incorrectly, or received incorrectly, or processed incorrectly, or lost at any point in the chain. Or it's a non-priority at the bottom of a pile of priority tasks.
The NHS usually works these things out, but it can take time. The pandemic probably isn't helping, since any overpayment - I'm pretty sure - needs a human to look at it before it's sent out, less some porter has a heart attack on being asked to pay back £10k.

As others have said - tell your line manager and get in contact with your union. They should know who it can be escalated to so that it'll actually get dealt with.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

That has to be made up to annoy foreigners, there is no throughline between those two words.

In the north east we have "run some messages" for going out to do a variety of tasks often includng shopping, so it's not far off.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Aramoro posted:

I'm not sure the specifics are very interesting, but it is interesting that everyone will have phrases that they use which they think are perfectly normal but is actually very regional to where they are. Like getting a jag.

We had a fun thing briefly when asda decided to run some "local" signage for their stores, except as often happens people assumed middlesbrough was basically newcastle and proudly installed a sign saying that the store would be selling "kets".

Which in newcastle I gather means sweets, but here would probably be interpreted as ketamine, and apparently in yorkshire means horse poo poo.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

ThomasPaine posted:

It's public sector, I imagine the payroll system is so byzantine and goes through so many different depts that it would be a miracle if it was ever picked up at all if no-one drew attention to it. A similar thing happened to me a while back (also public sector) - I was a seasonal worker and between seasons they just... kept paying me. I was flat broke at the time and was very tempted to just ignore it and live the high life being paid to sit on my rear end, but in the end decided the possible fraud conviction wouldn't be worth it so let them know and paid it back. I often wonder if anyone would have been any the wiser had I kept quiet. No one in payroll gives a poo poo about anything beyond getting through the day, and if an initial mistake slips through the cracks I could well see the fact they were paying a seasonal worker full time never being even noticed because the precedent had been set. This goes double as it a nationwide org and I was based in a bumfuck town while all the central admin staff were at HQ in Edinburgh and didn't know anyone at the other sites as anything more than reference numbers.

e: I'm not suggesting OP does actually ignore it, it's probably not a worthwhile gamble especially if it's a good job. As someone who was extremely poor, hated my job, and knew I was leaving ASAP anyway though, god it was tempting.

You did the correct thing and yes, your explanation of how this happens in big companies is exactly right. The most likely explanation is the line manager didn't inform HR of the change in job duties and salary, or HR dropped the ball informing payroll.

I'm more surprised that its gone on for as long as it has. Most places with very large workforces will do an audit of their staffs salaries to make sure they match the current agreed contract they have on file every year or so to catch things like this.

OP, did you sign a new contract when you stopped the on call work?

Also I'm sorry if my first post came across like an rear end, I didnt really think about the tone I was writing it in but with things like this I often end up being really abrupt without meaning to.
You're most likely going to be okay because A) you told them, even if it took you a long time, and B) Can pay it back immediately.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Have you informed your line manager? Document every instance you've made trying to get this resolved including what you've done today. If you feel comfortable posting about it, how did Payroll react to this?

Have you got a copy of your employee handbook? Have a ready through it and see what your obligations are regards to overpayments.

15 months of just letting yourself be overpaid is not good and there may be disciplinary issues in your future. Ignorance is not an excuse for cases like this and whatever you do DO NOT say you 'just assumed they would take it out your next pay slip' as that will raise questions about why you didn't attempt to correct it straight away.

The fact you're trying to sort it out before it has been noticed by someone else will stand you in good stead. If you are in a union, please contact them for their advice.

I emailed payroll and they told me to speak to my line manager. Will do that tomorrow. It was just a generic email address with no option to reply. Tried to ring payroll but they didn't pick up.

Will contact the union tonight.

Thank you.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

We had a fun thing briefly when asda decided to run some "local" signage for their stores, except as often happens people assumed middlesbrough was basically newcastle and proudly installed a sign saying that the store would be selling "kets".

Which in newcastle I gather means sweets, but here would probably be interpreted as ketamine, and apparently in yorkshire means horse poo poo.
Maybe they had a rare moment of clarity.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Maybe they had a rare moment of clarity.

While I am sure you can find someone in asda to sell you ketamine, it isn't located specifically in the sweet aisle.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

crispix posted:

doing your messages is a NI thing as well

"redding up" meaning tidying up seems to be more localised to the bit i'm from but is apparently also somehow a thing in pittsburgh, PA

getting a skelf meaning a splinter, calling a woodlouse a slater. i could go on but it would most likely be very boring for everyone else

For my Mississipean wife, 'can I see that sack' means 'can you pass me that bag'

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One year I got an extra week's holiday because of a glitch in the work's timekeeping system. Our shifts would show on the system about 12 weeks out, and any date after that would show blank on the calendar. The system was designed to deduct a standard day's hours if you booked a holiday for an unpublished shift, while if you booked a holiday on a published shift, it would deduct exactly the number of hours scheduled for you that day. Once, I noticed that for some reason I was showing as not having a shift for an entire week about 9 weeks out, and tried to flag it up to the shift planning lady, who skimmed my email and responded back that it was perfectly normal for shifts to show blank when nothing had been published for them. I emailed again pointing out that the shift for this week didn't look like how the system looks when a shift is unpublished. She replied assuring me that the shift would show up when the shifts eventually got published for that week.

I booked the days off on holiday, deducting 0 hours from my holiday balance and never mentioned it again. Anyone else who looked at my shift would just see I was on holiday that week.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Tesseraction posted:

The other day I was watching an Antipodean Twitch stream and learned they use the term "total weapon" to mean a solid lad and not a pranny like we do o'er here.

lol they use the term "weapon" to refer to attractive women in Dundee

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

feedmegin posted:

For my Mississipean wife, 'can I see that sack' means 'can you pass me that bag'

My Massachusetts wife used to buy beer at the 'package store' which was shortened to 'the packy'.

Didn't take long in Britain to find out that that one didn't travel.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

You did the correct thing and yes, your explanation of how this happens in big companies is exactly right. The most likely explanation is the line manager didn't inform HR of the change in job duties and salary, or HR dropped the ball informing payroll.

I'm more surprised that its gone on for as long as it has. Most places with very large workforces will do an audit of their staffs salaries to make sure they match the current agreed contract they have on file every year or so to catch things like this.

OP, did you sign a new contract when you stopped the on call work?

Also I'm sorry if my first post came across like an rear end, I didnt really think about the tone I was writing it in but with things like this I often end up being really abrupt without meaning to.
You're most likely going to be okay because A) you told them, even if it took you a long time, and B) Can pay it back immediately.

My contract says "Participation in the Emergency Duty rota may be required" which I assume was put in in case all the other staff on call went down with the Black Death.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JollyBoyJohn posted:

lol they use the term "weapon" to refer to attractive women in Dundee

loving what? What a weird town

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"Roaster" means a woman that's really hot in Ireland, but apparently in Scotland it means someone who's a complete berk.

And "poxy" can either mean "complete poo poo" or "really lucky" depending on where you are. Great country

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Reveilled posted:

Perhaps not impossible, but that seems more likely to be a folk etymology to me. If we're talking literal messenger boys (carrying written messages), it would have to be a cross-class borrowing since you could imagine a merchant or an officer having to get messages from messenger boys, but not so much Peggy from the Gorbals "getting the messages" in 19th-20th century Scotland. If we're talking messenger boys that are carrying "messages" in the sense of groceries, that just moves us back one step and we'd want to explain why the groceries the boys carried were called messages in the first place.

I have evidence for the court thread!

It's the same in Dutch, the word boodschappen means messages and "the shopping", e.g. boodschappen doen means to do the shopping, hier zijn de boodschappen means "here is the shopping [that I, the delivery driver, have brought you]". If the online supermarket needs to contact you, they'd send you a boodschap about your boodschappen. I noticed this when I moved here, and recognised it from my random knowledge of Scotland, mostly picked up from reading my mum's Broons and Oor Wullie annuals as a child.

Interestingly this is the same word as the German Botschaft(en) meaning messages (or embassy), but it doesn't mean shopping in German - for that they say einkaufen which is just in-buying.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The one thats really confusing in east coast Scotland is "doss", it switches between meaning something great or something terrible as you move up and down the country

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gambrinus posted:

My contract says "Participation in the Emergency Duty rota may be required" which I assume was put in in case all the other staff on call went down with the Black Death.

Yeah this should have been caught by HR unless your boss has agreed to pay you the same for some reason.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Oh absolutely, shakespeare is wasted on kids, and I don't mean that as a dig at kids.

I didn't understand any of Hamlet when I was forced to read it at school, nor the subtlety of any of the big memorable phrases we were told to memorise, nor the point of any of it because all of the videos we saw of it were the big, legs wide apart thespians roaring "OOOUH, tobeornottobethatisthe QUESTIYON."

As much as people may rag on David Tennant's whole gurning shtick that was at it's worst in Doctor Who, he was a really interesting contemporary Hamlet in 2009's RSC production.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=On14CIYwpyE

The scene is really, really clearly laid out and set up and the way the lines are said is not completely natural (because it's Tennant) but everything from the gravedigger's accent to the moment of recognition tell you infinitely more than the usual, standing in a spotlight with a skull staging usually does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAbuojia1zc

That reminds me! A couple of weeks ago I watched this wee video about how Shakespeare's English actually sounded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeW1eV7Oc5A

and it lead me to this Original Pronunciation rendition of the To Be Or Not To Be soliloquy, without any of the Olivier-esque thespianism that we were all forced to watch at school:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYiYd9RcK5M

and like the Tennant video above, it all sounds natural, but also kinda conversational and about more than just 'gently caress's sake, should I off myself?' Once the theatres reopen, I'd love to watch an OP production of a Shakespeare play, as niche an audience as that is.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Unkempt posted:

My Massachusetts wife used to buy beer at the 'package store' which was shortened to 'the packy'.

Didn't take long in Britain to find out that that one didn't travel.
Many in England would also assume a small off licence or newsagent, just for very different reasons.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

they use the term "weapon" to refer to attractive women in Dundee

Failed Imagineer posted:

"Roaster" means a woman that's really hot in Ireland,
There's a dril tweet in there about how everyone in Scotland always comments on how attractive i am

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Kets is a particular type of slang that only thieving twats from Elswick use.* The same sort of person who would describe a car with a red stripe as pure belter.

* Not everyone from Elswick is a thieving twat, but thieving twats do seem to usually come from there.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

feedmegin posted:

Did you continue to show it to her at every opportunity until it was long past funny?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

EvilHawk posted:

By all means put that money in a high-interest account or whatever to get the most out of it.
lol and if you find a "high interest account" in tyool 2021 do tell the rest of us

Tesseraction posted:

The other day I was watching an Antipodean Twitch stream and learned they use the term "total weapon" to mean a solid lad and not a pranny like we do o'er here.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

feedmegin posted:

:balldo:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The one thats really confusing in east coast Scotland is "doss", it switches between meaning something great or something terrible as you move up and down the country

Can confirm. A dosser, to me, is someone who is super lazy. I am a dosser, not to be confused with a tosser.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Can confirm. A dosser, to me, is someone who is super lazy. I am a dosser, not to be confused with a tosser.

I'm not sure if that use comes from "doss-house", basically the cheapest possible form of housing in a city, or if it goes the other way - unfortunately as with a lot of slang it had been in use for years long before anyone thought to write it down. Like the earliest recorded use of it in English comes from Dickens, who uses it as an aside in one of his early pieces as a journalist in the 1830s, and even then even he's confused about it (alternately suggesting the name comes from the mispronunciation of Dorset Street, site of one of the most infamous rookeries of the era, as "Dosset Street" but also that it's called that because of all the doss-houses there).

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Bobstar posted:

I have evidence for the court thread!

It's the same in Dutch, the word boodschappen means messages and "the shopping", e.g. boodschappen doen means to do the shopping, hier zijn de boodschappen means "here is the shopping [that I, the delivery driver, have brought you]". If the online supermarket needs to contact you, they'd send you a boodschap about your boodschappen. I noticed this when I moved here, and recognised it from my random knowledge of Scotland, mostly picked up from reading my mum's Broons and Oor Wullie annuals as a child.

Interestingly this is the same word as the German Botschaft(en) meaning messages (or embassy), but it doesn't mean shopping in German - for that they say einkaufen which is just in-buying.

Oh, that's very interesting! Well, that pushes in the direction of it being literally messages too for Scottish English, which is surprising, though it does still raise the question of why one was analogised to the other.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I always assumed "messages" in Scottish came from going to the post office to collect your mail, and getting your shopping while you're out.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

"goddamnedtwisto" posted:

*List of old timey deaths*

Teeth?

e: I'm guessing probably complications from gingivitis or something but just bluntly writing TEETH had me howling for a few minutes.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Poor dental health can result in a ton of wider health implications, which underlies the stupidity of having dentistry be a special sector of the NHS that you sometimes have to pay for, because to the surprise of nobody who understands that, you're just kicking the problem down to the cardiac ward or the neuropathic pain specialist or the emergency resus team when people can't/don't pay.

Either that or it's the teeth in the walls that come out and bite you. :tinfoil:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have to pay extra to get the exposed bits of your skeleton treated unless they are bits of your skeleton that aren't normally exposed.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Guavanaut posted:

Poor dental health can result in a ton of wider health implications, which underlies the stupidity of having dentistry be a special sector of the NHS that you sometimes have to pay for, because to the surprise of nobody who understands that, you're just kicking the problem down to the cardiac ward or the neuropathic pain specialist or the emergency resus team when people can't/don't pay.

Either that or it's the teeth in the walls that come out and bite you. :tinfoil:

I have anxiety about going to the dentist not because of the tooth scraping or anything but because of the uncertainty surrounding whether it'll cost anything and if so how much. I even have basic dental insurance through work and can't stand the thought of going.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Guavanaut posted:

Not to mention that toothache was historically (and probably still is) one of the leading causes of opioid addiction.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
To this day I have absolutely zero clue why dentistry is considered its own thing rather than a speciality within medicine. I'm sure there are interesting things written explaining this and technically it's adjacent to my work but :effort:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
When I worked in the NHS, a fraud came to light after years:

The head of one department which had continual temps was paying for a temp for years.
The temp was herself, only she had registered at the agency in her maiden name and as head of department in her married name just happily signed the timesheet every week. I can't remember how it was eventually picked up, but everyone was aghast, she'd been there years and was considered by quite a lot of the top brass to be trustworthy, honest etc.

Another time, also NHS, someone - a friend as well as a co-worker - was doing a course to get a qualification and the invoice came in and he sent it to accounts who paid the sum into his bank account (over £500). He kept it and when the invoice was chased he sent it over to accounts saying 'this must be paid' and so they paid the college that time.

Put me in that horrible position of knowing about something and being/or not being a 'grass' against a friend (we'd even holidayed together).
Myself and another mutual friend withdrew our friendship and limited contacts to 'job specific' over 3-4 months instead of going cold-turkey.
And didn't grass up the person. I still don't know whether we should or shouldn't have.

But yeah, agree with other posters, put the money aside and document attempts to repay it and DO attempt to repay it.

Gambrinus
Mar 1, 2005
I wish for the love of all that is holy I'd done something when I first noticed it. All I had to do was email my line manager and it would have all gone away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I love a good scam and would never usually grass someone up but grifting the nhs seems very poor form so idk