Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Went to my local Publix in FL, curious to see what mask usage was like now as the company is following the CDC thing of not requiring masks for vaxd people. It’s not a store I’ve ever seen anyone not wear a mask on, or any kind of commotion.

Yet I was still surprised to see about 80% or more masked up today. Hard to know the split between vaxd and not wanting to take it off yet, or unvaxd and being honest. And undoubtedly a percentage who assume it’s still mandated in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Went to my local Publix in FL, curious to see what mask usage was like now as the company is following the CDC thing of not requiring masks for vaxd people. It’s not a store I’ve ever seen anyone not wear a mask on, or any kind of commotion.

Yet I was still surprised to see about 80% or more masked up today. Hard to know the split between vaxd and not wanting to take it off yet, or unvaxd and being honest. And undoubtedly a percentage who assume it’s still mandated in there.

Where in Florida? I grew up in Pinellas and my brother still lives in relative chudville in central Pasco, and he says most people are still wearing masks in the Greenwise Publix they shop at, too.

I'm in Seattle now and I bounce between, it's a very easy NPI to continue doing, and I don't want people to think I'm a republican. Also, King county has "strongly suggested" that we keep wearing masks indoors.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

South East, Broward county. Ha I wonder what the difference between Greenwise and Regular publix is. Pay the extra cost to not be surrounded by anti Vaxers!

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

learnincurve posted:

The journey from front door to drive through entails you touching your jacket (potential bird poo poo) and your shoes (potential dog poo poo) then your front door (potential pissy handed neighbour) and then your car (bird poo poo again).

if you're the kind of person that just keeps wearing a jacket with bird poo poo on it, I don't think worrying about getting germs on your fries is your top concern

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

EL BROMANCE posted:

South East, Broward county. Ha I wonder what the difference between Greenwise and Regular publix is. Pay the extra cost to not be surrounded by anti Vaxers!

Actually, I would bet it's popular with anti vaxxers! They started the Greenwise store thing when I still lived there, it's basically Publix branded Whole Foods. Looks like there's 2-3 in Broward.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

That's good news, but Sunday reports are historically low. I hope the trend continues this week!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

spouse posted:

My state lifted all restrictions, and, as I've been vaccinated for 3 full months now (healthcare), I decided to go to the store without a mask (I figured lots of people would be).

I should not have picked Trader Joe's.

No one said anything, but I was one of like 3 people in that very busy store not wearing a mask, and the other two looked like chud-types. :cripes:

My area has like a 30% vax rate cause it’s full of chuds and you better believe right after the announcement people stopped wearing masks. It was perhaps the dumbest and most dangerous thing the cdc could have done. I assume there was a lot of political pressure but there’s no way any sweeping policy based on pinky swears should have been implemented until vaccine rates were already high enough.

A whole bunch of people are getting the vaccine later because work logistics and terrible PTO make sick days impractical, it’s not humane to risk all their lives to make things a bit easier on white collar people who scheduled their doctor appointments for wed morning and took thur/Friday off to recover because they feel like everyone else should already have their shots by now too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Even if everyone age sixteen and up had gotten the Pfizer vaccine the first day it was “open season”, they still wouldn’t be fully vaccinated by the time CDC precipitated the mad dash to masklessness.

If they had gotten the Moderna vaccine, they wouldn’t have even had their second shot. If they had the J&J vaccine, they’d be fully vaccinated on paper, but only because no one respects the chart.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Platystemon posted:

Even if everyone age sixteen and up had gotten the Pfizer vaccine the first day it was “open season”, they still wouldn’t be fully vaccinated by the time CDC precipitated the mad dash to masklessness.

If they had gotten the Moderna vaccine, they wouldn’t have even had their second shot. If they had the J&J vaccine, they’d be fully vaccinated on paper, but only because no one respects the chart.

graph is a dick dude for real

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Platystemon posted:

wanna suck that chart off

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Even in Winn-Dixie in Miami people are 100% masked and Winn-Dixie is way trashier than Publix, I go there after all

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

Today's "covid is coming" statement comes from the Australian Medical Association.

It's already here, there's an ongoing breakout in Melbourne's northern suburbs right now. Four members of a family have tested positive and the medical authorities are scrambling to contact trace the source of their infection, and have provided a list of exposure sites they visited at certain times and are asking anyone who also visited those sites to isolate and get tested. One of the sites was Highpoint shopping centre, one of the biggest malls in the state.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-24/victoria-four-covid-19-cases-in-melbourne-north/100160012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1ilCy6XrmI

In other news I dropped by a vaxx hub in Melbourne even though I'm not in the current vaccine age bracket just in case they had any spare doses (there's been news reports of people jumping the queue successfully) and got turned away. The only two options are AstraZeneca and Pfizer and they're not giving AZ to anyone under 50 and they're not giving Pfizer to walk-ins, you have to ring the hotline and make a booking for the good juice and there's no point in me trying that until they open up my age bracket.
The vaxx hub was pretty much a ghost town, there was hardly anyone there. It was in a gigantic convention centre and there was maybe 20 people total in that massive space.

Also my elderly father who lives in a small country town doesn't have any vaxx centres near him and when he asked the local GP when they'd have shots available they told him they'd maybe have some in 5 weeks, and of course there's no guarantee he'll be first in line so it might be even longer than that.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 24, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Inept posted:

if you're the kind of person that just keeps wearing a jacket with bird poo poo on it, I don't think worrying about getting germs on your fries is your top concern

Look at this lucky bastard who lives in an area without pigeons or seagulls.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Only if they frequently have you changing or sanitizing the gloves. If you wear the same gloves for 4 hours those gloves aren't remotely sanitary. And then if you unconsciously wipe your eye or rub your nose?

But then that's not "disposable gloves" anymore. That's "I wear these gloves for everything" which is completely useless, just like you noted.

The point of disposable gloves is you put them on, do the dirty stuff, then take them off carefully and dispose of them.

It is how they do things in healthcare and I see no reason it wouldn't work well in a library too.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Lolie posted:

Today's "covid is coming" statement comes from the Australian Medical Association.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...vid-crisis-hits

I can accept this coming from medical experts if the ulterior motive behind the messaging is "get loving vaccinated you idiot boomers," but I'm tired of the business lobby gearing up the PR machine over the past few weeks to decide that Australia needs to go back to fully open borders pronto. It's not actually going to happen, so whatever, but it is getting really tedious.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hey Australia. Have you considered vaccinating half of adults, no kids, and opening ‘er up?

:v:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

Hey Australia. Have you considered vaccinating half of adults, no kids, and opening ‘er up?

:v:

Our government has vaxx hesitancy and isolation psychosis LOL

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Australia is hermit nation now

gently caress off, we’re closed.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

It was an incredible misstep by the government to advise against AZ for over-50s, but it has been funny watching boomers, who have lived their whole lives in this country having the red carpet laid out for them, lose their poo poo about suddenly not getting exactly what they want exactly when they want it.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

had my 2nd dose a while back
first thing im doing when poo poo reopens is getting a nandos and a pint

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

My wife and I went to the zoo this weekend. They don't require masks if you're vaccinated, and I think it was about 80% unmasked, 20% masked in there. There's an indoor aquarium and some indoor exhibits, and it was more like 50/50 in there. We went unmasked outside, masked up inside.

It was definitely an adjustment but it was extremely nice to be outside doing something again. I had a few moments where I kept thinking to myself "oh poo poo, too many people" and we both kinda hung back when there was a mob of people lining up at an exhibit.

But it was a good step towards going somewhere with a crowd again.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

But then that's not "disposable gloves" anymore. That's "I wear these gloves for everything" which is completely useless, just like you noted.

The point of disposable gloves is you put them on, do the dirty stuff, then take them off carefully and dispose of them.

It is how they do things in healthcare and I see no reason it wouldn't work well in a library too.

Way back when I worked in a nursing home. When I started there, anything involving a resident, their room, or anything belonging to them needed to use gloves. Like you go in to make their bed while they are out, new pair of gloves on. Even if you were doing something like turning off the TV they left on, gloves. Eventually the owner decided we were "using too many gloves" and said that we needed to just wear one pair from the time we started, came back from break, etc. So like 3/4 pairs the whole shift. I'm pretty sure this was actually worse than just never using the gloves at that point.

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Just got Pfizer shot number one. My next shot is supposed to be Sept 13 because lol Canada

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Huh five September shot buddies

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

We got Pfizer #1 last Tuesday. We had one tiny bout of lightheadedness 5 hours in, and I had a sore arm (full motion but it hurt lifting it upward) the next day, and a bit of tenderness the third day. All gone after that.

My husband is complaining about his arm and seems to think it is getting worse almost a full 7 days later. He has been working out pretty hard and worked out consistently every day since the shot. Nothing new or unusual, though. I honestly can't decide if he's having some kind of rare vaccine reaction or if he happened to coincidentally injure it in almost the exact place he got jabbed...

Any tales of week-long arm pain that I can corroborate this with? Or should I inform him that he has necrotizing fasciitis and we have to amputate?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I had the AZ shot and my arm was sore for a week

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Tagra posted:

We got Pfizer #1 last Tuesday. We had one tiny bout of lightheadedness 5 hours in, and I had a sore arm (full motion but it hurt lifting it upward) the next day, and a bit of tenderness the third day. All gone after that.

My husband is complaining about his arm and seems to think it is getting worse almost a full 7 days later. He has been working out pretty hard and worked out consistently every day since the shot. Nothing new or unusual, though. I honestly can't decide if he's having some kind of rare vaccine reaction or if he happened to coincidentally injure it in almost the exact place he got jabbed...

Any tales of week-long arm pain that I can corroborate this with? Or should I inform him that he has necrotizing fasciitis and we have to amputate?

Arm pain after #1 definitely persisted for close to a week for me. More interestingly, when I got shot #2 (in my other arm), I had intermittent flair ups of pain in the original injection site for a few days. Bodies are weird.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tagra posted:

I've heard multiple reports along these lines, and experienced something similar with my second Moderna shot. Arm hurt, went away after a few days, then came back for a few days, then went away again. As far as I know it's nothing to worry about.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Picnic Princess posted:

I had the AZ shot and my arm was sore for a week

I had my AZ April 19th and I swear the muscle is still a bit sore if I flex it.

e: Still a million times better than worrying bout COVID

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It's already here, there's an ongoing breakout in Melbourne's northern suburbs right now. Four members of a family have tested positive and the medical authorities are scrambling to contact trace the source of their infection, and have provided a list of exposure sites they visited at certain times and are asking anyone who also visited those sites to isolate and get tested. One of the sites was Highpoint shopping centre, one of the biggest malls in the state.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-24/victoria-four-covid-19-cases-in-melbourne-north/100160012

And then there were 5. They seem to think the latest case identified might actually be the source. Genomic testing shows all of the cases trace back to SA hotel quarantine, but the actual links are yet to be established.

I think we're going to see more cases where we're unable to determine the intermediate connections.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Still in GA. Still low vaccination numbers. Almost every employee at Walmart had no mask on and were getting incredibly close to people. The greeter was standing against the wall between the entrance and the exit so there's not really a great way to avoid them. No masks.

There is no way, statistically, even 1/4th of the people I saw today are vaccinated :smith:

The vaccination waiting area was completely empty and that sucks.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
Would love to stand in a vaccine waiting area while dozens of unmasked unvaccinated people walk around and breath in my general area.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ArbitraryC posted:

Would love to stand in a vaccine waiting area while dozens of unmasked unvaccinated people walk around and breath in my general area.

Sounds like GA logic :smith:

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
I got Pfizer #2 on Saturday and struggled through Sunday with a mild fever, some aches, and sluggishness. This morning, I was good enough to go to work. I was still a bit tingly and chilly but after about 10:00 I was good.
Then when I was leaving the office, I slipped and fell and hurt my thigh. Welp.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Scheduled for my first shot tomorrow. Not sure which one will be administered (probably Pfeizer-BioNTech).

Suspect I'll be feeling an immense sense of relief afterwards, despite nothing changing in my day-to-day.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lolie posted:

And then there were 5. They seem to think the latest case identified might actually be the source. Genomic testing shows all of the cases trace back to SA hotel quarantine, but the actual links are yet to be established.

I think we're going to see more cases where we're unable to determine the intermediate connections.

Oh awesome it's the India strain :coronatoot: Also the new list of exposure sites pretty much draws a big circle around my house LOL

I'm not worried, the spread is still super super low and we've already introduced restrictions. They're talking about opening up vaccinations because of all this so this might actually work in my favour in that sense and I might be able to finally get my goddamn jab

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
America cares more about its monkeys than its children.

Via this weird news story about some Flamin’ Hot Cheetos.

quote:

According to the zookeeper, Libby and Sunday have a specialized diet, so being fed human food could cause stomach problems and bowel disruptions for the two spider monkeys.

In addition, she put the animals at risk of contracting COVID-19 by engaging with them at a close distance.

"Anything that we have they could get as well, so COVID is no different," Kleist told ABC 7. "We took the necessary steps to prevent them from getting that, so for someone to just go in there and give them food from their hands could just ruin that."

Masks were REQUIRED (their emphasis), not encouraged till recently.

I’m so glad the CDC guidance only applies to individuals and doesn’t have corrosive effects at every level of society.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

El Paso Zoo Spider Monkeys

It was a huge issue when I worked there. The spider monkey enclosure is really open air and people used to throw poo poo to them all the time. We had one nearly choke to death on a straw and another that shot liquid poo poo for a While after someone got it some waffle fries, the poor thing.

EPZ is very, very passionate about its collection and I have no doubt that they're trying to take care of those animals that may be compromised by this. If house cats can get covid, I'm sure the lions can. And Malaika deserves the best because she is the best (she was my favorite of the three girls so I'm bias)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Castaign posted:

Arm pain after #1 definitely persisted for close to a week for me. More interestingly, when I got shot #2 (in my other arm), I had intermittent flair ups of pain in the original injection site for a few days. Bodies are weird.

after shot #2 i've had pain from old wounds flare up for some reason. i can't lie on my left side cuz the rib i cracked coughing during shot #0 feels like it never healed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

If house cats can get covid, I'm sure the lions can.

Yep, there's been quite a few cases of lions and tigers in zoos catching coronavirus. Here's some from last April:
https://newsroom.wcs.org/News-Relea...m-COVID-19.aspx

A bunch of zoo gorillas also caught it, they recently rolled out a coronavirus vaccine for animals and juiced up all the great apes in the San Diego zoo:
https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/article/first-great-apes-at-us-zoo-receive-coronavirus-vaccine-made-for-animals