Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

“Marketing” - shopping

This one is due to the prevalence of wet markets where all the little old (and not so old) ladies would get the groceries. Makes perfect sense.

I'll lend a couple more
"What?" - Pardon me could you repeat that please?
"Haven't die yet?" - Good to see you it's been so long!

Re:NHS overpayments

I don't think the NHS are particularly punitive with regards to overpayments if the fuckup is on the management end. Pay calculations are a nightmare and I suspect most staff look at their payslips and go "that looks about right" rather than knowing any precise details. They'll have a dim view if you can't pay it back (contracts say you can negotiate payment plans) but if you return the money promptly and in full they won't care.

Also since payroll is typically outsourced, it's unlikely that your line manager would even know (or care) unless you've done something deeply dodgy like intentionally try to defraud the system with extra hours.

I was double paid after moving trusts. I shrugged at the first payslip since there's usually some residual pay, then the second got me suspicious and by the third I knew they'd hosed up. I sent off an email and I received like 2 more payslips before they fixed the problem and sent me the bill. They were completely oblivious. I left the money in a "high" interest account until they came calling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gonzo McFee posted:

See the thing about me is I really care about the Jews and Israel, innit? Also, I want to go back to World war 2. I see no contradictions with this.
Lot of comments going on about how they hope the 'right side' would win this time around.

I'm not sure if this is because of a combination of alienation combined with being told that Hitlerism is bad on a surface level but never educated into the actuality of fascism as a suicidal self-defeating trash ideology, or just because they got insufficient kickings for being fash.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think ive found the perfect distillation of the British mindset.

https://twitter.com/john_jb6368093/status/1396732386793111552?s=19

"What Britain would you rather? One where Muslims are allowed to walk about, demanding things like a free Palestine? Or one where you're cowering in a subway from death from above with your all white neighbours? Simple as, innit?"

The degree of brain poison required to make someone answer yes to this is actually quite distressing.

I was going to make a list of things off the top of my head that are incredibly convenient today that would be incredibly difficult/impossible in the 40s. But it's just too much. Guaranteed every fucker who replied to that tweet is living a comfortable, middle class suburban life and they'd last about 10 seconds actually trying to live in the 40s.

The kicker is none of them actually lived through it. They were all either babies or born after. They have nostalgia for a time they only experienced via Dads Army repeats. Its insane.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Isn't all the classically trained ac-tor stuff mainly about projecting your voice in the theatre? Surely they'd have had to do that in the Globe or wherever as well

I dont know if it was fashionable during the Tudor period but ac-tor stuff like that (also stylised gestures) goes back to ancient Greece and Rome. It's not some 19th century invention or w/e. Like, oratory was an expected thing for educated Romans to learn.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Tsietisin posted:

So like the Goon with the overpayment at work, I now have a similar situation but with the DWP.

I get Universal credit each month, only amounts to about £100 for the month. Last month I got nothing as due to being paid my salary earlier because of the weekend, they took two months salary into consideration. This month, there was no salary reported within the period. So instead of if being £100, its now £1,600.

I called up the DWP and told them as such. I said that both this months and last months payments are due to the reporting dates of my salary and the guy on the phone just said thats the way it is and there was no way for them to alter it. That it will happen every time I get paid early.

So many conflicts in my head about this one.

On the one hand, me and my family can have a decent month this month, actually getting some of the things that we have been putting off. Then there is the part of me that is thinking that I am not entitled to this money. But then again, I have reported it and I've been told that it is what it is.

Get it in writing - or at least get you telling them about it in writing.

The NHS overpaid me for 4 months - each month I called and emailed to tell them and nothing happened. Eventually someone else cottoned on and I got a threatening letter to repay it all immediately. I could do that (because I’d noticed the overpayment immediately and stuck it in a separate account), but I believe that it’s “usually considered reasonable” by courts to repay it over the same kind of time period the overpayment occurred if you can show it was an honest mistake and you took steps to inform them once you realised.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
It's a great day for posts that make you feel like you have eyes growing on the inside of your brain

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/1397111571478945792

Random Integer posted:

The degree of brain poison required to make someone answer yes to this is actually quite distressing.

I was going to make a list of things off the top of my head that are incredibly convenient today that would be incredibly difficult/impossible in the 40s. But it's just too much. Guaranteed every fucker who replied to that tweet is living a comfortable, middle class suburban life and they'd last about 10 seconds actually trying to live in the 40s.

The kicker is none of them actually lived through it. They were all either babies or born after. They have nostalgia for a time they only experienced via Dads Army repeats. Its insane.

As I said it's the perfect Boomer post. The only way it could be more fully encompassing of their unique psychosis is if it somehow crowbarred in a rant about Landlord rights, but that would only add flab to an already flawless post.

You could write a dissertation on this post. It should be the thing that is put before everyone who wants to get into politics and have asked "What do you do about this?" because honestly if you have an answer better than "Wait for the boomers to die" you might be the chosen one.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

My brain can't cope with the idea that's anything other than performative Boomerism. To own the... millenials I guess?

Cunts anyway

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

I always notice when I go back to my parents that they can recycle far more things than I can and that the advice they get on what is and isn't recyclable and how to best prepare stuff is much much clearer than what I get in England.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Unkempt posted:

My Massachusetts wife used to buy beer at the 'package store' which was shortened to 'the packy'.

Didn't take long in Britain to find out that that one didn't travel.

I've heard 'party store' in the Midwest. First went into one expecting balloons and costumes. Was pleasantly surprised.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Having a heck of a day. Put on the washing machine this morning and clearly forgot to check the pockets because everything now smells like the sinus spray.

Is this what being a boomer feels like?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

knox_harrington posted:

Having studied at a dental hospital for a while, dentists are people who might have gone to medical school, but aren't really that interested in helping people and would prefer a fat pay cheque tyvm
:eng101:Not necessarily:

:nms:Friend of mine used to be a sex worker, and had a dentist client who had a tooth fetish. You can imagine how it went. Think on that next time you're in the chair:nms:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Borrovan posted:

:eng101:Not necessarily:

:nms:Friend of mine used to be a sex worker, and had a dentist client who had a tooth fetish. You can imagine how it went. Think on that next time you're in the chair:nms:

Strong nonces in teaching energy.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

I think ive found the perfect distillation of the British mindset.

https://twitter.com/john_jb6368093/status/1396732386793111552?s=19

"What Britain would you rather? One where Muslims are allowed to walk about, demanding things like a free Palestine? Or one where you're cowering in a subway from death from above with your all white neighbours? Simple as, innit?"

Unsurprisingly the first-tier replies are mostly a trash fire (with some good takedowns in the second tier), but it's like a capsule of all the bad cultural/political takes in one place. It really brings out how the obsession with WW2 as a national myth amongst a certain part of the population (currently massively represented in media and discourse) is the maypole on which so many other lovely ideas are hung.

This is a gem:

https://twitter.com/twitdwood/status/1397074939128258561?s=19

"I can't watch telly without being reminded that other people face discrimination. This is the real injustice, not the people who actually have to face the discrimination in their real lives 24/7/365."

On the regional words/language quirks thing:

I worked with a guy from NW England and he used lend/borrow differently (I was going to say 'the wrong way round' but that sounds prick-ish). So it was:

"Can you borrow me a pencil?"

and

"Do you mind if I lend that pencil?"

Is that a regional thing (and where?) or an individual quirk?

(Awaits the revelation that all the millions of people north of the Trent and west of the Pennines use the words that way and I've just never actually talked to a Mancunian before...)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

BalloonFish posted:

I worked with a guy from NW England and he used lend/borrow differently (I was going to say 'the wrong way round' but that sounds prick-ish). So it was:

and

(Awaits the revelation that all the millions of people north of the Trent and west of the Pennines use the words that way and I've just never actually talked to a Mancunian before...)

I've heard and even used "Can I have a lend of that pencil". I couldn't tell you where I picked that up from as I was born Oop North, then moved to the south coast (actually) when I was about 1, and then to Wales and then to Wiltshire and then to Germany and then began to diverge from the parents when I went to uni in London.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
If it takes more than a highschool education to get into then I automatically assume you're some kind of pervert.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

Unsurprisingly the first-tier replies are mostly a trash fire (with some good takedowns in the second tier), but it's like a capsule of all the bad cultural/political takes in one place. It really brings out how the obsession with WW2 as a national myth amongst a certain part of the population (currently massively represented in media and discourse) is the maypole on which so many other lovely ideas are hung.
This is a good second tier reply to a trash first tier one.

https://twitter.com/Ambarosie2/status/1396986506171060225

BalloonFish posted:

and

Reminds me of the urban legend sounding story about the first automatic level crossings in Yorkshire. Where "do not cross while lights flash" takes on the inverse meaning.

I've heard it more in a "make sure that your safety warnings are absolutely unambiguous to all levels of understanding and don't take your understanding of language as the only correct one when life is at stake" context than a "the North, lol how backwards" or "this is a thing that happened" context, but I've also known people in rural parts who swear that it was, in fact, a thing that happened.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

This is a good second tier reply to a trash first tier one.

https://twitter.com/Ambarosie2/status/1396986506171060225

lmao the guy's reply to this is that the reason there was more crime during WW2 was too much regulation I can't loving cope.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I've heard and even used "Can I have a lend of that pencil". I couldn't tell you where I picked that up from as I was born Oop North, then moved to the south coast (actually) when I was about 1, and then to Wales and then to Wiltshire and then to Germany and then began to diverge from the parents when I went to uni in London.

I think the fellow in question said "can I have a lend of..." at least a few times. He was born in West Yorkshire, grew up in Cheshire and Greater Manchester and then studied and lived in Lancaster before moving to the East Midlands where I worked with him, so I don't know if it's a quirk of one of those places in particular.

Guavanaut posted:

Reminds me of the urban legend sounding story about the first automatic level crossings in Yorkshire. Where "do not cross while lights flash" takes on the inverse meaning.

I've heard it more in a "make sure that your safety warnings are absolutely unambiguous to all levels of understanding and don't take your understanding of language as the only correct one when life is at stake" context than a "the North, lol how backwards" or "this is a thing that happened" context, but I've also known people in rural parts who swear that it was, in fact, a thing that happened.

I have also heard this exact example, but also in an educational context. Apparently in Yorkshire 'while' can mean 'until' in certain contexts (to do with an old ambiguity in English between process and result). Apparently you can find 'until' used where we would use 'while' in the King James Bible.

This is - supposedly - why the modern standard level crossing sign phrase is "Stop When Lights Show"

Edit:

Which one of you is this?

https://twitter.com/McfeeFanny/status/1397127402204106753

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 25, 2021

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Isn't all the classically trained ac-tor stuff mainly about projecting your voice in the theatre? Surely they'd have had to do that in the Globe or wherever as well

Eh, you can project theatrically without sounding like Laurence Olivier, is the thing, even in your typical proscenium arch theatre. Like, yeah, projecting in a theatre is easier if you speak in an inflection associated with, well, actors in a theatre, but it doesn't prevent you from speaking in a regional dialect or accent as such.

The first example that comes to mind is 1950s kitchen sink dramas like A Taste Of Honey or Look Back In Anger, that were specifically written for and performed with regional accents. Saw a production of A Taste Of Honey in Edinburgh a few years ago, and the Mancunian accent was no more difficult to parse on stage than your stereotypical Shakespearean accent.

It'd probably have been the same in Shakespeare's day – they'd have been projecting in their original accents, and the contemporary audiences would have been perfectly fine with that tbh. I imagine the exaggerated accents were a legacy of the 19th century ruling class appropriating Shakespeare as high art, even though he was nothing of the sort at the time.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The localised English usage that irritates me most is when Welsh people say "now in a minute"

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BalloonFish posted:

I have also heard this exact example, but also in an educational context. Apparently in Yorkshire 'while' can mean 'until' in certain contexts (to do with an old ambiguity in English between process and result). Apparently you can find 'until' used where we would use 'while' in the King James Bible.

This is kind of true for computery language as well, where the while statement in Python means 'do this and keep doing it until conditions change'

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Today's hard hitting YouGov poll:

Years of Buzzfeed quiz data harvesting wasted. :negative:

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Gonzo McFee posted:

See the thing about me is I really care about the Jews and Israel, innit? Also, I want to go back to World war 2. I see no contradictions with this.

Also I want to go back to the time when Jewish refugees weren't allowed into the country. I am very smart.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

The localised English usage that irritates me most is when Welsh people say "now in a minute"

Mine was specific to one person, who used to say "Know what I mean" but instead of saying it in the way that makes it sound like it's all one word she would drag it out like she was actually genuinely unsure if you knew what she meant.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

stev posted:

I’ve known a couple of people who seemingly borrowed all their mannerisms from Chandler and Christ that is exhausting

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I'm fine with "now in a minute", but just using "now" (by itself) as meaning "in a minute" pisses me right the gently caress off

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 25, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That's why you need "just now" and "now now".

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

stev posted:

No option for angry downstairs neighbour?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Noxville posted:

Chandler and Christ
this would have been a better spinoff than Joey

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
This is fat ugly naked guy erasure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Borrovan posted:

I'm fine with "now in a minute", but just using "now" (by itself) as meaning "in a minute" pisses me right the gently caress off

Yeah that one's just an outright deception.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/lukemcgee/status/1396939289229942787

A few more posts like this and I'll be able to see the Old Ones hanging off of Big Ben.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

OwlFancier posted:

I wonder if all them famous inventors back then were just the only ones sober for more than 5 minutes.

lol have you ever met an engineer?

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

kecske posted:

this mindset gives me a strange inarticulate feeling, like a kind of unfocused frustration that I don't know where to begin addressing

My best guess is that people want to feel like they belong and understand the world. As the world gets more complex and societies develop demographic overhangs where there’s more old people than young ones, the number of people who can keep up falls as a percentage. So over time for the past 30 years or so, the UK has become a place where a majority of the population feels lost and out of touch (which they are) and just wants to scream and bring the whole thing down because they can’t cope any more. And since they are a majority and also they are older and richer, the rest of us live our lives in the shadow of their rage at the changing world.

To be very clear, they actually are out of touch. But while :biotruths: aren’t destiny, humans genuinely have evolved to be comfortable with social structures where there’s a few elders and a lot of adults and a number of kids that varies based on available resources. So when we get a shitton of elders and an average number of adults and a relatively small number of kids, which is what any prosperous 21st century society looks like, it’s going to play out really weird and uncomfortable. I think that’s what’s happening now in the west. Here in China, it’s reasonable to expect that in the 2030s and 40s.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Beginning to think that Corbyn should have resigned at the same time as David Cameron, if only because that would have let the Blairites fall on their swords

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Venomous posted:

Beginning to think that Corbyn should have resigned at the same time as David Cameron, if only because that would have let the Blairites fall on their swords

In hindsight you can definitely argue that knowing he was never going to win but it would've been a huge gut punch at the time if he left to be replaced by some sensible centrist before even running an election.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

I had the opposite issue the last time I worked for the NHS (I was on the staffbank as a contractor after having taken redundancy in another post) - they kept telling me they'd paid me, but hadn't.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Beefeater1980 posted:

My best guess is that people want to feel like they belong and understand the world. As the world gets more complex and societies develop demographic overhangs where there’s more old people than young ones, the number of people who can keep up falls as a percentage.
Add to that, cities look like a reasonable late 20th century society, whereas the countryside looks like a demographic collapse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Noxville posted:

Chandler and Christ

"Could I be any more the Resurrection and the Light?"

Only acceptable behavior if your mate is Ian Brown imo.

Not surprised that Zoomers no longer see themselves reflected in the lifestyles of the FRIENDS, relatively affluent Gen Xers that are uniformly straight, white, and cis