Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

When posting I was thinking more along the lines of the Soul Cube in Doom 3 (which turns the Cyberdemon fight into a completely unsatisfying loving joke) but this crappy finale hits right on the nose too.

"MeGa MaN 2 iS tHe BeSt GaMe In ThE sErIeS" despite having two bosses that each require crap special weapons to beat, where the other one is basically a giant unwinnable "gently caress you" if you miss even once* in a room full of flickering sprites and slowdown :bravo:

Have fun grinding out ammo refills for Crash Bomber every time you gently caress it up :buddy:

*Unless you manage a very precise trickshot but even so you're more likely to waste shots trying to pull it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

American McGay posted:

Which Mega Man has got the best men? I gotta stick with the aforementioned 5. 4 is also particularly awful but Skull Man saves it.

i like the esoterically themed Men like Dust Man etc

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

mycophobia posted:

i like 1 better

i like how megaman 1 has small, simple enemies, like those sliding block guys with eyes or the little hardhat boys, easy to oversee at a glance what a screen is about. i also kind of prefer single-screen challenges over scrolling sections

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

dying at the end of the level in retro fps games with no checkpoints

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Elephant Parade posted:

dying at the end of the level in retro fps games with no checkpoints
i don't think checkpoints/autosaves were really a thing in old fpses until halo, but before then you could usually save at any arbitrary point (and hope and pray that you didn't accidentally save over your quicksave one microsecond before dying like i did in my original max payne 1 playthrough many moons ago :( )

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

The Kins posted:

i don't think checkpoints/autosaves were really a thing in old fpses until halo, but before then you could usually save at any arbitrary point (and hope and pray that you didn't accidentally save over your quicksave one microsecond before dying like i did in my original max payne 1 playthrough many moons ago :( )
managing my own in-level saves is also a pet peeve. it interrupts the tempo of play, saving too often feels like cheating, and sometimes I forget to save for 10 minutes and have to redo half the map. only really a problem in super long maps, though

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

i like the esoterically themed Men like Dust Man etc
I like how there is randomly one Woman

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

The Kins posted:

surviving those cursed quicksaves by doing a groundhog day over and over was definitely a goomba stomp.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

also at times its fitting punishment for cowardly quicksaving

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Bolverkur posted:

surviving those cursed quicksaves by doing a groundhog day over and over was definitely a goomba stomp.

when you hit f5 instead of f7 on an emulator and still save the run.....

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
I feel like I hosed up a quicksave on Max Payne on the original Xbox (grenade at my feet) and after a few minutes of panicked pissed off searching through menus that's how I found out they were stored in a queue and you could load an old one
but it might have been Max Payne 2

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

when you hit f5 instead of f7 on an emulator and still save the run.....
Once played Ys 3 for SNES (the sidescrolling one) on an emulator a long time ago... I was using fast-forward functions constantly to help with grinding, and relying on quicksaves. I got pretty far in the game and accidentally fast-forward sprinted myself right through a really strong dragon boss (taking a ton of damage) and then reflexively quicksaved on accident. I had only used one save ever, and never used the actual game's save function, so that left me stuck behind the dragon with absolutely no chance of killing him before he killed me. Softlocked the game completely as far as I could tell.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mine was ff4. I think it was the GBA version. I got to zeromus a little under leveled and tried to use save states so I wouldn't have to grind and accidentally saved over every save state on different points where he was about to wipe the party. I had to watch the ending movie on YouTube. (I'd beaten it before, at least, but still)

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Martman posted:

Once played Ys 3 for SNES (the sidescrolling one) on an emulator a long time ago... I was using fast-forward functions constantly to help with grinding, and relying on quicksaves. I got pretty far in the game and accidentally fast-forward sprinted myself right through a really strong dragon boss (taking a ton of damage) and then reflexively quicksaved on accident. I had only used one save ever, and never used the actual game's save function, so that left me stuck behind the dragon with absolutely no chance of killing him before he killed me. Softlocked the game completely as far as I could tell.

what does the game end completely when you die?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

b_d posted:

what does the game end completely when you die?
I assume it sends you back to your last save, and he didn't have any

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I assume it sends you back to your last save, and he didn't have any
The fate savestate gamers deserve, imo

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Elephant Parade posted:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I get irrationally angry when people use fast-forward features in emulators, even if it's just skipping text or whatever.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Yeah I was pwned by my own petard for sure, I deserved it

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Elephant Parade posted:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I used save states to get all the companions in fire emblem GBA and make sure they didn't die forever to some random crit. gently caress you

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

The gamer that lives by the save state, dies by the save state

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Elephant Parade posted:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
gamer pet peeve: when they censor the vagina bones

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
When you level up in an RPG and it doesn't refill your health.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

If a game has a beastiary feature, having one enemy that appears only in this one place that you only ever go to once.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
when a racing game has a pressure-sensitive accelerator and defaults to making you go really slow if you aren't jamming your thumb into the x button at full force at all times

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Climbing a ladder but the character's hands and feet are visibly missing the rungs.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Arrhythmia posted:

Climbing a ladder but the character's hands and feet are visibly missing the rungs.

and the top guy's cape is clipping through the second guy's face, in most old RPGs

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Arrhythmia posted:

There's like a 90% chance this has already been posted, but climbing down in a game that doesn't allow you to slide.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

American McGay posted:

There's like a 90% chance this has already been posted, but climbing down in a game that doesn't allow you to slide.

Arrhythmia posted:

Not being able to slide down the ladders.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Stealth sections in non stealth games.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

WombatCyborg posted:

Stealth sections in non stealth games.

Fungah! posted:

forced stealth sequences in non-stealth games, obvs. people still do this even though everyone knows its the worst and i dont know why

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hell, it bears repeating

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

When posting I was thinking more along the lines of the Soul Cube in Doom 3 (which turns the Cyberdemon fight into a completely unsatisfying loving joke) but this crappy finale hits right on the nose too.
"MeGa MaN 2 iS tHe BeSt GaMe In ThE sErIeS" despite having two bosses that each require crap special weapons to beat, where the other one is basically a giant unwinnable "gently caress you" if you miss even once* in a room full of flickering sprites and slowdown :bravo:

Have fun grinding out ammo refills for Crash Bomber every time you gently caress it up :buddy:

*Unless you manage a very precise trickshot but even so you're more likely to waste shots trying to pull it off.

This qas my last unread post itt

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Elephant Parade posted:

Savestayes are good because mike mattei flipped out about them

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

when the water level music sucks

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
bad guys that survive multiple head shots

Professor of Cats
Mar 22, 2009

Flying enemies with poo poo hitboxes or that stay just out of reach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Martman posted:

I like how there is randomly one Woman

i like the weirdly themed ones specifically because you dont know what, say, Jewel Man is all about before you enter the room and theres a little moment of suspense in the autosave hallway which you dont get so much with a dude named Flame Man