Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Move Along Home is kind of dumb but it’s fun. far from the worst episode even in season 1

I like Battle Lines too, not sure why people are dunking on that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
If Wishes Were Horses is easily the worst season one episode. God that’s bad.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'll fight for my stance that Move Along Home is actually a great episode. While obviously the show pulled deeper, more engaging storylines in, it fits the original bill of "whoa a wormhole opened out here and aliens that are crazy even by our galactic-civilization standards are coming through and we have to do Diplomacy with them" concept, and the episode is pretty good at establishing a lot of character traits that persist throughout, like Quark having a tiny nugget of conscience, Bashir being a total goon who still manages to come up with solutions, Kira's heavily repressed sense of humor/fun, etc.

Like honestly, if someone who hasn't seen the show asked me to pick 1 episode to get a glimpse of what the show is like, vs. just starting from the beginning and blazing through it, I think I'd pick that one before one of the bigger story-heavy episodes of later seasons.

I get the argument but... *sigh*

There are just too many inherent flaws in the setup for it to really shine, even as a corny/so-bad-it's-good episode, I think.

The diplomacy with wormhole aliens angle is neat, but the whole conceit of them trapping the main characters in some technobabble never escapes feeling really forced.

It undeniably would've worked better as a standard "beam down to their planet to see what's going on" Trek episode, but DS9 (rightly) wanted to avoid rehashing that. So we got this instead, but it never really made any sense dramatically. It forces in this distracting element of "we have to figure out what's really going on" which is never a good thing when the answer is "I dunno, space magic?" Without that we could've focused more squarely on "how will the characters escape the game" which is a better story, if still very silly.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“It’s only a game :smug:” gets quoted regularly in my friend circle.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

HD DAD posted:

If Wishes Were Horses is easily the worst season one episode. God that’s bad.
I skipped it in my rewatch

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How can you disrespect Buck Bokai like that

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Sir Lemming posted:

It forces in this distracting element of "we have to figure out what's really going on" which is never a good thing when the answer is "I dunno, space magic?"

This is my least favorite plot device, although there are some episodes (Things Past) that manage to pull it off

Distant Voices was probs the worst of these, Bashir figured it out halfway through and the episode kept crawling along anyway

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

HD DAD posted:

“It’s only a game :smug:” gets quoted regularly in my friend circle.

Yeah the whole episode's premise is that the guy Quark is gambling with is an rear end in a top hat.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

John Wick of Dogs posted:

How can you disrespect Buck Bokai like that

We stan a London King

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Marx Headroom posted:

Distant Voices was probs the worst of these, Bashir figured it out halfway through and the episode kept crawling along anyway

Oh gosh yeah, that's a rough one. There's really nothing at all going on in the second half other than Siddig trying to get an Emmy for being in old man makeup.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

I get the argument but... *sigh*

There are just too many inherent flaws in the setup for it to really shine, even as a corny/so-bad-it's-good episode, I think.

The diplomacy with wormhole aliens angle is neat, but the whole conceit of them trapping the main characters in some technobabble never escapes feeling really forced.

It undeniably would've worked better as a standard "beam down to their planet to see what's going on" Trek episode, but DS9 (rightly) wanted to avoid rehashing that. So we got this instead, but it never really made any sense dramatically. It forces in this distracting element of "we have to figure out what's really going on" which is never a good thing when the answer is "I dunno, space magic?" Without that we could've focused more squarely on "how will the characters escape the game" which is a better story, if still very silly.

I agree that the technobabble is a little forced, but I think it serves the character development well, and that issue crops up in a lot of TNG/DS9 episodes, so I don't fault this one specifically for it. I don't think the characters needing to figure out what's going on distracts from the episode; in fact I think it helps define the characters pretty early in the series in the way they react to the situation. It's a pretty standard trope of "develop these characters by putting them in a totally unfamiliar situation and seeing how they deal with it"

I agree that overall, the whole "what crazy new alien culture will we have to deal with now?" idea is a little lame when the answer is "they'll transport us into a game where none of us is in any real danger," but I think as far as first-season episodes go, it's one of the better ones across both TNG S1 and DS9 S1.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'll fight for my stance that Move Along Home is actually a great episode. While obviously the show pulled deeper, more engaging storylines in, it fits the original bill of "whoa a wormhole opened out here and aliens that are crazy even by our galactic-civilization standards are coming through and we have to do Diplomacy with them" concept, and the episode is pretty good at establishing a lot of character traits that persist throughout, like Quark having a tiny nugget of conscience, Bashir being a total goon who still manages to come up with solutions, Kira's heavily repressed sense of humor/fun, etc.

Like honestly, if someone who hasn't seen the show asked me to pick 1 episode to get a glimpse of what the show is like, vs. just starting from the beginning and blazing through it, I think I'd pick that one before one of the bigger story-heavy episodes of later seasons.

This guy gets it and if you don't I question if the Start Trucks are really for you

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I still like Move Along Home, but I really liked it as a 5 year old when it first aired because that was the first DS9 episode that didn’t put me to sleep while I watched with my mom.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Move Along Home isn't as bad as I remember, but I hate any alien race that's just a human with face paint. See also: the red faced guys from Rules of Acquisition.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Move Along Home isn't peak DS9 but it's a fine episode. I really don't get why some fans hate that episode so much.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I hope it's clear that I don't hate it. I just don't think it succeeds at much other than being meme-worthy.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Move Along Home, The Royale, and The Thaw are all in the same vein and they’re all good.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Rewatched Take Me Out to the Holosuite last night. Everything Worf says in relation to baseball rules.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Sir Lemming posted:

I hope it's clear that I don't hate it. I just don't think it succeeds at much other than being meme-worthy.

No, I was speaking generally. It is true that a lot of S1 episodes, like If Wishes Were Horses, feel like warmed over TNG scripts.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Sir Lemming posted:

I think it's just that it has some goofy lines that are easy to repeat, and that it features some character-development moments that look really funny out of context (the group skipping and singing Allamaraine, Bashir randomly backed up against a wall screaming)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Move Along Home isn't peak DS9 but it's a fine episode. I really don't get why some fans hate that episode so much.

I think it's mostly the silliness quotient that really puts some people off, most notably in the hopscotch scene -- it's vicariously embarrassing. And there's also the ending, which reveals that there was never any danger at all, and despite everything that happened to the characters, :matters:. It's a type of twist ending, but one that's really hard to make into a satisfying conclusion.

Back in TOS, Shore Leave had the same problems -- a bunch of silliness that some find cringeworthy, all of which is revealed to be just fun and games, no peril at all. Shore Leave doesn't turn up on many people's favorite-episode lists.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

HD DAD posted:

Move Along Home, The Royale, and The Thaw are all in the same vein and they’re all good.

The Thaw stands out from that crowd, however. Largely but not entirely on the strength of its guest star.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

The Thaw stands out from that crowd, however. Largely but not entirely on the strength of its guest star.

Also because Janeway makes the avatar of fear afraid of her and that's just peak Janeway.

"I know."

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I think people's opinions on it are based on how much they enjoy TOS.

Powered Descent posted:

I think it's mostly the silliness quotient that really puts some people off, most notably in the hopscotch scene -- it's vicariously embarrassing. And there's also the ending, which reveals that there was never any danger at all, and despite everything that happened to the characters, :matters:. It's a type of twist ending, but one that's really hard to make into a satisfying conclusion.

Also this, it's silly but pretends there are stakes but then there aren't any and thus ends with a fart.

It's good Quark characterization, though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Honestly if you really just get bored of season 1 you can pretty much just watch any episode about Kira or Odo and skip the rest

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Powered Descent posted:

Back in TOS, Shore Leave had the same problems -- a bunch of silliness that some find cringeworthy, all of which is revealed to be just fun and games, no peril at all. Shore Leave doesn't turn up on many people's favorite-episode lists.

The thing is, if this was a later-season episode I'd agree 100%, but in this case since it's so early on, "we all learned some important lessons about each other," as cliched as that may be, applies to an extent here.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
The funniest thing to me about DS9 season 1 is how they appear to be setting up long-term Dragon Ball plotlines with the orbs. Felt like the writers were hedging their bets in case they ran out of ideas, but then the show matures pretty quickly and the orbs just become occasionally-mentioned plot devices.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If you're not liking an episode, skip to the next one. Radical freedom.

It's 176 episodes, they're not all going to be winners.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

If you start skipping episodes you'll inevitably miss rich b-plot lore. Like the main plot to The Muse is very stupid, but the b-plot is Odo getting married to Lwaxana Troi, sometimes you just got to take the good with the bad

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That makes me want to think of other generally bad episodes that have amazing B-stories. Probably Meridian.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Minidust posted:

The funniest thing to me about DS9 season 1 is how they appear to be setting up long-term Dragon Ball plotlines with the orbs. Felt like the writers were hedging their bets in case they ran out of ideas, but then the show matures pretty quickly and the orbs just become occasionally-mentioned plot devices.

Next Episode: Dukat Defeated!

EDIT: alternatively, collect the 7 Bajoran Orbs and summon the Great Bird of the Galaxy.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Next time on Deep Space Nine: The Dominion Routed!? Rom's Counterattack!!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
“Bajoran Mystery! Jake and Kira’s Battle to the Death!?”

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Workers Of The World Unite!! A Union On The Station?!

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Warp Factor 10?! The Birth of Perfect Tom!!

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
"Garak's Betrayal!? The Mystery of Empok Nor!"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
These all sound great tbh

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Star Trek is truly the Biggest Anime

multijoe posted:

Warp Factor 10?! The Birth of Perfect Tom!!

This one is the best, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

TOS episode names are actually like that in Japanese and they're awesome. Including:

Mystery on Planet Pyrus Seven
Energy from Underground 160km
Revenge! Gas Monster
Planet-type Spaceship Hoving in Space
Vampire Monster on Planet M113