Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
50 doll hairs betting that they get caught charging more to some minority group because algorithm in the next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

We ask you one simple question and then use machine learning algorithms that spit out "black guy in black neighborhood zip code = reject application" no matter what you answer

For white people it's digital phrenology trying to derive how good a lending prospect you are from whether you have Amazon Prime and how many subscription boxes you're signed up for

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

sounds like that car insurance company that works exclusively through app. no way would they ever drop you the second they have to pay out a claim

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Relevant Tangent posted:

This is why you want brick walls.

Now im wven more confused. Americans have walls that arent brick?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

most houses in the US are made of paper and sticks

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Spuckuk posted:

The house I grew up in was insulated with mud and horse hair(?) Or at least that's what I'm pretty sure my parents said was inside the walls during the renovations. I was young and dumber than I am now

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

As a costumer I imagine I actually want the insurance company with the highest "loss-ratio".

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They used to be made of asbestos and sticks so we have improved somewhat

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

The Oldest Man posted:

We ask you one simple question and then use machine learning algorithms that spit out "black guy in black neighborhood zip code = reject application" no matter what you answer

For white people it's digital phrenology trying to derive how good a lending prospect you are from whether you have Amazon Prime and how many subscription boxes you're signed up for

tbf # of subscriptions is a pretty good indicator of how much of a rube someone is

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

Oh yeah we have all sorts of terrible yet profitable walls. I once broke a wall when I stubbed my toe and put my weight against the wall too quickly. I put a sticker over the hole and the rental company didn't notice the difference.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Len posted:

The house I grew up in was insulated with mud and horse hair(?) Or at least that's what I'm pretty sure my parents said was inside the walls during the renovations. I was young and dumber than I am now

I think you use horsehair in the plaster on the walls as a strengthening material. Old time wall insulation was more like crumpled or shredded newspaper, old jeans, random trash, literally nothing, or of course the crowd favorite asbestos.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Shwqa posted:

Oh yeah we have all sorts of terrible yet profitable walls. I once broke a wall when I stubbed my toe and put my weight against the wall too quickly. I put a sticker over the wall and the rental company didn't notice the difference.

When I lived in the dorms my dumbass roommates were loving around and put someone through the wall. A giant rear end shaped hole

One of them apparently did a bunch of diy building before moving into hell and one quick trip to home depot later the rear end hole was patched and nobody had to pay any extra fees

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Spuckuk posted:

Walls in the US are almost entirely wooden frames with insulation inside

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Insulation is only outer walls and they also use house wrap

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Len posted:

it was probably light straw clay, common back in the day

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Piell posted:

Walls in the US are almost entirely wooden frames with insulation inside

which, it should be noted, is not a bad way to build houses if done correctly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

America was mostly lath and plaster on wood frames until like 1950

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

make insurance instant, seamless, and delightful. One of the worst sentences I have ever read in my life

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Spuckuk posted:

LOL, brick walls. Our houses are made of this:

To either side of those studs we attach some other material, usually drywall for interior walls. Drywall is basically a sheet of plaster with a sheet of paper stuck to both sides.

So for interior walls, like the walls between apartments, townhouses, semi-detached units, etc., there will be like 1/2 an inch of drywall, a 4 inch air gap, and then another 1/2 an inch of drywall. If your neighbour snores you will know about it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PostNouveau posted:

Cool, yet another thing that will be run by algorithm with no recourse for consumers.

They'll fire all the claims adjusters and just tell the algorithm "call 20% more people liars" and you won't be able to get anyone on the phone about it and even if you do they'll just be like "Well the algorithm says you're a loving liar because you didn't smile enough in the video you took in your wrecked car" and they'll bribe enough judges to make this legal

What are you talking about, you can talk to AI Maya on the phone all you want. Nobody else works here.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL, brick walls. Our houses are made of this:

To either side of those studs we attach some other material, usually drywall for interior walls. Drywall is basically a sheet of plaster with a sheet of paper stuck to both sides.

So for interior walls, like the walls between apartments, townhouses, semi-detached units, etc., there will be like 1/2 an inch of drywall, a 4 inch air gap, and then another 1/2 an inch of drywall. If your neighbour snores you will know about it.

At least here where hurricanes happen the outside of the house is usually built out of concrete blocks so it doesn't just get blown the gently caress away, though the interior is the same hollow uninsulated drywall and wood bullshit.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

What made people accept this?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Biplane posted:

it's cheap(er)

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Biplane posted:

It is a lot faster and cheaper to build this way.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Our ancestors heard the story of The Three Little Pigs and thought, "A house made of sticks, what a grand idea."

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Biplane posted:

Your options are "house" or "not house"

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021
again, wood framed houses can be excellent, it’s the lovely building practices that’s the problem

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

If you rent you're just hosed, if you're buying a house in a suburb then whatever developer built the suburb used the cheapest materials and did it as fast as possible because every second a house is not sold they're losing money on it so you're just hosed, basically the only houses normal people can afford that are built out of anything but twigs and crepe paper are very old (and therefore a nightmare for other reasons) or one you explicitly have custom-built yourself (at which point it's no longer a house a normal person can afford)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I remember when the bottom fell out in 2008 a bunch of in-progress housing developments just stopped, so there were a fuckin' ton of large areas where all the trees and nature had been torn down, and the roads and street lights and electric poo poo all ran for a neighborhood that didn't exist. Street lights would come on at night and everything, just nothing there. They were spooky as poo poo, like someone took a suburb and removed every single house but left everything else in a completely functional state.

Anyway I'm sure every developer remembers that and now builds houses even faster and cheaper in an attempt to make sure they're not left out to dry the next time poo poo takes a dip.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I'm the common rafter

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back
I've been looking at geodesic dome house kits off and on, they look weird and have some quirks (traditional right angle stuff doesn't play well with :orb:) but they save on energy and construction costs. For an added bonus the structure is naturally much stronger to the point that they're mostly disasterproof.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

I'm the common rafter

They call me the jack stud :smug:

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone over 25 that doesn't live in a dome house is a failure.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Fame Douglas posted:

Anyone over 25 that doesn't live in a dome house is a failure.

The movie Biodome really did inspire a generation.

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Shwqa posted:

They call me the jack stud :smug:

king stud here :smugspike:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Man this capitalism poo poo fuckin sucks.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Wild that in America you can just get a saber saw and cut your way through the side of a persons house into their living room.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Wild that in America you can just get a saber saw and cut your way through the side of a persons house into their living room.

A fisted size rock and a decent hurl in the right place would probably be enough.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is like the fiftieth easiest way to get in a house uninvited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Bloop posted:

This is like the fiftieth easiest way to get in a house uninvited

Yeah I'm not saying it's a smart or convenient way to burgle, just crazy to think how easy it would be