Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Do you buy the pre-brined silverside or just regular and brine it yourself? I haven’t had corned beef in probably a decade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Love a good silverside. I been going the extra step and making white mustard sauce. So good. Got a lamb shoulder on the bbq at the moment and my girlfriend brought me home a roasted pork chunk as a treat. Absolutely living the dream

Pfft, 2x tablespoons Masterfoods Australia Mustard mixed with a heaped teaspoon of Masterfoods Hot English is essential to the corned beef, cabbage and mash combo. Anything else is wasted effort.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Humphreys posted:

Red Rooster with extra salt.

It's the same chips. Exactly the same.

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I hadn't had hungry jacks in years and had just started getting it recently cause of the yumbo, when did they start putting chook salt on their chips, it's been great

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Lolie posted:

Mustard and horseradish sauce.

perfect choice of silverside sauce imo gently caress a white sauce

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
hungry jacks uno is no substitute for mcdonalds monopoly though

Airstream Driver
May 6, 2009

What the gently caress is a yumbo

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Airstream Driver posted:

https://www.tiktok.com/@iwishiwasde...1&is_copy_url=0

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

Airstream Driver posted:

A sad ham and cheese sandwhich served kinda warm on a burger bun

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

The yumbo is not some kind of elaborate joke?

It looks like what I make if I'm bored and go and buy a bunch of burger buns, cheese and ham slices.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS
Haven't had the silverside/cabbage/mashed potato/whitesauce since I stopped visit my parents. More often than not dad would overcook the beef and also serve it with broad beans he had boiled until they resembled mummy testicles so it doesn't hold a happy place in my memories unfortunately.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

gently caress me I haven't had corned meat in years. I made a few from scratch a few years back, might have to do a few and make one into pastrami

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Corned meat and some veg with white sauce. gently caress yeah.

Made it for my grandma a few years back

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Mum made corned beef with white sauce just a bit too frequently when I was growing up and I got pretty tired of it. I didn't eat it once in the 12 years I lived out of home until I moved back in with them over the last year and now that its heading into winter we've had it about once a month and it very quickly gets tiring again I find.

I think had it had it half as much growing up, it'd probably have been a sustainably enjoyable meal.

I realise how loving pretentious this sounds to some starving Ethiopian kid.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Enjoy your super spreader event Melbourne :rip:

Also the best hot chips are fried in peanut oil :colbert:

ili
Jul 26, 2003

All chips are beaut.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

My dad had a similar upbringing Nam Taf, so I only really got it when I visited grandma. She was a pub cook so her pub staples (corn meat, crumbed steak, parties, spag Bol etc) were poo poo hot

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Infinitum posted:

Enjoy your super spreader event Melbourne :rip:

Also the best hot chips are fried in peanut oil :colbert:

Still, at least it was just port v Collingwood. Noone of consequence would have been on the crowd

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Granite Octopus posted:

Do you buy the pre-brined silverside or just regular and brine it yourself? I haven’t had corned beef in probably a decade

I buy it pre-brined. Coles has consistently good corned silverside, Woolworths is crap, and everywhere else is a gamble.

Give me your beef stir fry recipes guys.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

ili posted:

All chips are beaut.

A magpie wrote this

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Lolie posted:

I've lived in Sydney for almost 27 years now and the first time I've had good chips here was a couple of weeks ago at Star City, of all places.

Cut of silverside. I've never actually seen canned corned beef, although I've heard Americans talk about it.

Huh, Coles and Woolies both have it, usually near the Spam. There's also the superior corned mutton, too.

Just realising how British my food was growing up. Both parents are poms and my mum is working class Mancurian, with Glaswegian roots.

She used to make a variation of corned beef hash, which was essentially fried canned beef stirred through mashed potatoes and baked.

Its probably something her mum made during post war rationing and definitely after her dad died in the 50's. Single mum with three kids.

So I still make it regularly for my family. A bit fancier, with onions and garlic and greens, some stock, some beer. Bread crumbs for crunch.

But mum probably made it as a comfort food for herself (her mum died before I was born) and now I make it as comfort food. Weird.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

McSpergin posted:

My dad had a similar upbringing Nam Taf, so I only really got it when I visited grandma. She was a pub cook so her pub staples (corn meat, crumbed steak, parties, spag Bol etc) were poo poo hot

Grandma goals right there.

My local pub does $13 lunches every day, and they're pretty damned good for the price. This week the special is lambs fry with creamy mash, bacon and gravy.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

bee posted:

Grandma goals right there.

My local pub does $13 lunches every day, and they're pretty damned good for the price. This week the special is lambs fry with creamy mash, bacon and gravy.

It's almost cold enough to start cooking lamb's fry and steak and kidney. I can't wait, although I've found it harder to get kidneys and lamb's fry the last few years.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

mum used to make steak and kidney pie when i was a kid. i ate it no worries but now it kinda freaks me out.

on the flipside I am making up for lost time eating mushrooms.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Silverside?
Red rooster?
You are all speaking gibberish again 😔🤙

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Insane to think there is nobody itt west of the red rooster line wtf.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Never heard that phrase before and wow.

Melbourne is similar, though. Nothing inner east but heaps in more blue collar areas.

Mornington being, perhaps, the exception. Not sure how working class Mornington is anymore.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Insane to think there is nobody itt west of the red rooster line wtf.

I am west of the red rooster line

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
one of my inner west gently caress wit friends agree that red rooster fried chicken is sick

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Big Willy Style posted:

I am west of the red rooster line

I'm west of the Red Rooster line in the El Jannah zone.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I am West of the Red Rooster Line.

Red Rooster is actually my closest Fast food chain by distance.

e: unless some psychopath actually considers Subway fast and/or food in which case that is. I'll die on this hill if i Have to though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What is even the point of subway?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

People that like the idea of other people (read: minorities and/or women) making them a sandwich.

it is always fat rear end dudes who look like they have never not had a mother doting over them their entire life.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

A step up from a 7-11 sandwich when you can't be hosed making your own.

Also what the gently caress is this Red Rooster place you're all talking about? Is it anything like Red Roo_ter? That's what all the local stores have on their roof sign.

At least before they all started converting the sign to a single piece so people would stop stealing the "s", those cowards.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

Fresh made fast food that isn't a fry up or *gasp* ethnic

For sure would hoe down on a chicken Sanger that was made a few minutes ago over a zinger box or something

Subway has a niche

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

It's the cookies!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Jestery posted:

For sure would hoe down on a chicken Sanger that was made a few minutes ago over a zinger box or something

Subway has a niche

gently caress now I want a zinger box. :mad:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Laserface posted:

People that like the idea of other people (read: minorities and/or women) making them a sandwich.

Haha this is a hot take. I know subway is associated with pedophilia, but I've never heard it being associated with bigots too. Its a good one though.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Subway is the only place in Australia I have seen a maga hat. I still think that might be a bit of a stretch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visible Stink
Mar 31, 2010

Got a light, handsome?

Jestery posted:

Subway has a niche

Its this (except ethnic food is good as)

Subway is garbage, but its more or less the only contender in the franchised sub sandwich market (as far as I'm aware). Sometimes you just want a greasy meatball sub.