Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

OwlFancier posted:

Live footage from the twisto household

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdfx7l4z5cQ

I've seen this so many times and I've only just now twigged it's Pete Donaldson singing.

On the subject, he has a great podcast called WrestleMe, where Marc Haynes introduces Pete to the world of pro wrestling. It's one of the very few actually funny "comedy" podcasts, to the point where I've had to pause multiple episodes because I'm laughing so hard.

(e): And for the page snipe, a bit of classic punk, Misfits' We Are 138.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Xemloth posted:

My ex used to mention (with worrying frequency) that you can get in trouble for walking down the street with a baseball bat because it's a weapon, but if you have a ball in your back pocket then it's absolutely fine.
these days

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Interestingly, this variation in the understanding of 'until' comes up in Egyptians using English.
In UK, MOST of the time, "until" means right up to 1 nanosecond or 1 attosecond before this absolute instance of time, this was the case. But right now, as of the exact now, it has changed. (For the older goons, remember Tomorrow's World with Raymond Baxter? :corsair: they would always start with breathy excitement: "We haven't been able to do X, until NOW!" (revealing gadget which does X).
The word used in Arabic for 'until' and translated as 'until' by English-speaking Egyptians INCLUDES the present moment - so it STILL isn't doable.

So:

Brit boss to Egyptian Employee: "Have you done that report yet?"
Egyptian Employee speaking Egyptian English: "Until now, I didn't do it" (meaning right now including the present instant he hasn't done it.)
{Brit boss hears: I hadn't done it but I have now finished it.}
Brit boss to Employee: "So let me have it then"
Confused Employee: but I haven't finished it.
Brit boss thinks "untrustworthy, shifty" etc etc all those perjorative words when as far as the employee is concerned he has told him the exact truth.
Cue: lots of cussing in the bars of various Brit Clubs by British bosses working in Cairo firms about how unreliable etc Egyptians are.

My other favourite is 'nervous'. Brits mean 'scared' or 'apprehensive' when they say it. English-speaking Egyptians mean 'angry' (because when you get angry you get all sort of shaky and nervy).
So: someone says to you "you make me nervous" - you think "But I'm not a scary person" - Egyptian is telling you you are making him angry, not scared!

Until usage: same in China and Malaysia.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Years ago the subject of aluminium baseball/rounders bats came up in idle conversation and I was baffled for the moment it took me to realise that some people genuinely use them to play sport.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Anyone know what the situation with customs is right now with EU countries? If I buy some stuff from the EU to UK, and if the seller is dumb enough to mark the true value of the item on the declaration, will I have to pay a zillion quid extra in customs fees and handling and whatnot? Do they enforce that all the time, or some of the time, or probably not? Or only on expensive and/or large things?

Gotta love Brexit, more bureaucracy and more cost, just as planned innit

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

jaete posted:

Anyone know what the situation with customs is right now with EU countries? If I buy some stuff from the EU to UK, and if the seller is dumb enough to mark the true value of the item on the declaration, will I have to pay a zillion quid extra in customs fees and handling and whatnot? Do they enforce that all the time, or some of the time, or probably not? Or only on expensive and/or large things?

Gotta love Brexit, more bureaucracy and more cost, just as planned innit

Depends on what you are buying, from who, and where.
More info will help.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
trying to get sex arses on the cheap

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Today is basically going to be this…

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

This isn’t apropos of anything in particular, but it really bothers me that our default cultural output is sneering and that we whinge a lot.

Other countries I’ve lived in are not like this. I currently live in China, it’s a pretty upbeat place. The US is suicidally optimistic. Saõ Paulistas are consistently sure that the thing that will make them happy is right around the corner. Take the 7 billion people on this planet and select a random one, and they will approach any given bit of news someone shares with them with a sunny disposition and generosity of spirit. Except in our corner.

How did the UK get so messed up? Things aren’t actually worse than in other places; to be honest, in material terms, the UK does really well except at the top end. Our middle class are better off than other countries’; our poor are better off than China’s poor; our homeless have a better life expectancy than Brazil’s, wealth inequality is half of the global average. Why are we so loving miserable and downbeat?

E: my working hypothesis is that it’s the curse of having been an important country in the relatively recent past and not being one any more.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on May 26, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its the weather

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Beefeater1980 posted:

This isn’t apropos of anything in particular, but it really bothers me that our default cultural output is sneering and that we whinge a lot.

Other countries I’ve lived in are not like this. I currently live in China, it’s a pretty upbeat place. The US is suicidally optimistic. Saõ Paulistas are consistently sure that the thing that will make them happy is right around the corner. Take the 7 billion people on this planet and select a random one, and they will approach any given bit of news someone shares with them with a sunny disposition and generosity of spirit. Except in our corner.

How did the UK get so messed up? Things aren’t actually worse than in other places; to be honest, in material terms, the UK does really well except at the top end. Our middle class are better off than other countries’; our poor are better off than China’s poor; our homeless have a better life expectancy than Brazil’s, wealth inequality is half of the global average. Why are we so loving miserable and downbeat?

E: my working hypothesis is that it’s the curse of having been an important country in the relatively recent past and not being one any more.

*looks out window at rain pissing down and single digit temperatures at end of May*

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Beefeater1980 posted:

Thought this was endemic to western countries really. I figured it had to do with our best years being behind us.

e: I mean since the post war period things looked differently, things constantly got better, the governments of the world kept finance and trade locked in and kept labour strong. Then all that stopped and we spent 40 years hollowing out our societies. And on top of that we're also old societies.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Dommy Cummy starts his "It was all Boris' fault, nuffin' to do wiv me, guvnor" testimony at 9:30 this morning.
I'm WFH today and... actually thinking about tuning in.

I expect 90% of it to be very boring, but the 10% with interesting bits could be worth listening to.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
Just wanted to say that I appreciate getting some new perspecives and experiences, and wanted to thank Jaeluni Asjil for speaking about their life and times.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

His Divine Shadow posted:

And on top of that we're also old societies.

Miserable old bastards probably have a lot to do with it yeah. I mean they're the ones voting for Brexit and Toryism.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
We're raised to be technically correct, not happy. Misery is how we hedge our bets against the embarrassment of trying something positive and failing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Beefeater1980 posted:

It's not a matter of absolutes, it's a matter of trajectory. A middle- or skilled-working-class Brazilian or Chinese person almost certainly has a much better life than their parents did, who in turn had a better life than their parents, and so on. Going to have to disagree with you about the Yanks, who have the fake optimism and brightness of someone trying to get you to sign up to an MLM (it's called capitalism).

In the UK though, the majority of people younger than around 40 are definitely materially *and* spiritually/psychologically worse-off than their parents, who had a range of opportunity from free university, through the possibility - likelihood, even - of a job for life with a decent pension, to the ability to buy a house that are insane dreams for someone in their 20s now.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Lol, try to book a vaccine this morning now it’s open to 30+. Nearest appointment is in Hereford. I’m in Bristol!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Lol, try to book a vaccine this morning now it’s open to 30+. Nearest appointment is in Hereford. I’m in Bristol!

Worth refreshing and trying again. I was told I had to go to Bristol from Stroud, then refreshed and found one a three minute walk away.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its the weather

It's a solid theory, but the weather is just as bad in Ireland and we're slightly less miserable and alcoholic

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

kingturnip posted:

Dommy Cummy starts his "It was all Boris' fault, nuffin' to do wiv me, guvnor" testimony at 9:30 this morning.
I'm WFH today and... actually thinking about tuning in.

I expect 90% of it to be very boring, but the 10% with interesting bits could be worth listening to.

I'm looking forward to more or less every columnist rolling their eyes and saying "we knew this already, this isn't news" and acting above it all, while totally ignoring that they consistently and uncritically repeated the various government lines that Cummings is saying were lies/stupid/stupid lies

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Cardiff has a mass vaccination walk in centre running over the bank holiday weekend if anyone round here hasn't had one yet

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Demelza posted:

Years ago the subject of aluminium baseball/rounders bats came up in idle conversation and I was baffled for the moment it took me to realise that some people genuinely use them to play sport.
Makes me wonder why the same has never happened with cricket bats.

Even golf has adopted hollow metal 'woods'.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Guavanaut posted:

Makes me wonder why the same has never happened with cricket bats.

Even golf has adopted hollow metal 'woods'.

It has!

There was an Aussie player that tried irl but it got taken off him right soon after! Just Google "ComBat"!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"As this was happening, English captain Mike Brearley complained to umpires Max O'Connell and Don Weser that the metallic bat was damaging the soft, leather cricket ball."

I think this goes a good way towards explaining

Beefeater1980 posted:

How did the UK get so messed up?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Its the weather

Oh the weather isn't so bad. A little overcast and grey, but not unpleasant.

Honestly the people I know who moan about bad weather then also moan its to hot in summer. So I'm not convinced it's that.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
My theory is a combination of the dampness, most people being crowded together, residual Puritanism making the mere idea of fun uncomfortable, and the post-imperial malaise of thinking we should be a lot more important and powerful than we are.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

Oh the weather isn't so bad. A little overcast and grey, but not unpleasant.

Honestly the people I know who moan about bad weather then also moan its to hot in summer. So I'm not convinced it's that.

TBH the counterargument to "British people aren't optimistic" is that in our climate, with 50% of days overcast, an average temperature firmly in the "take a jacket" range, and three distinct rainy seasons*, we invented two sports that can't be played in rain (lawn tennis, cricket), and buy more convertibles and sports bikes per capita than any other nation on Earth.

* One of them - the North European Monsoon - we *didn't even notice until a few years ago*. We're so optimistic that the fact that Wimbledon gets rained out almost every year just got chalked up to sub-Morisette irony rather than an actual regular meteorological phenomenon. The other two are the Atlantic windstorm season from October to December and the late-spring rains that we've been sitting through all loving month.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Julio Cruz posted:

cricket bat, maybe

considering the rarity of baseball teams in this country I think you'd have a tough job convincing the filth that you were just going down the park for a quick nine innings

Quick game of rounders with your mates.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The actual answer (at least for England and Wales) is that carrying a lockpick set is "going equipped":
On the face of it this seems a right bastard of a law but note that the wording is not *may* be used in connection with any burglary, but that the article must be for using in the course of etc. The point is they have to prove that you had the item - whether a crushed-up coke can or a complete set of lockpicks or a six-foot jemmy - to commit a burglary. This of course is spinning the barrels depending on context (and skin colour) but if you can get even the slightest plausible deniability about why you have them on you then you should be in the clear.

Occurs to me as an IT bod that lockpicks are very useful timesavers to have around for the times a client's rack is locked and you can't find the keys, or the front panel of a server's locked and you need to swap in a new HD.

Just putting that out there.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1397275925859930112?s=19

A second time "I don't care let them all die" has come from Johnson, I can't wait for Starmer to make this about Clarke shoes or whatever.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Startling revelations of Boris Johnson being a monstrous ghoul.

+2 on the approval rating

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's a solid theory, but the weather is just as bad in Ireland and we're slightly less miserable and alcoholic

Are you saying we are slightly less miserable AND Alcoholic? Or we are slightly less miserable AND slightly less alcoholic?
I'm not sure I'd agree with the second.

A friend of mine moved over to England a few years ago. He said one thing he noticed over there was how rarely people would make eye contact with each other when walking around outside. It was bad in Towns and non-existent in cities particularly in London.
Where as even in Dublin, you are likely to run into someone you know and stop to talk to them. (At least in the pre-pandemic times.)

Maybe Atomization and personal disconnection has hit England pretty hard.

Also you can't get Breakfast Rolls, Chicken Fillet Rolls or Spice Bags in the UK (and I never could when I went looking for them in Glasgow) so maybe it's the lack of a stodgy breakfast, lunch and dinner.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The weather in the west of Scotland is substantially worse than anywhere in England, yet our ratio of terminally miserable pricks to OK guys is far more balanced.

The English are just genetically pre-disposed to being moany sods.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Pretty sure you can get these mate, especially in Glasgow

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Herd Immunity being discussed now

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

The Question IRL posted:

Are you saying we are slightly less miserable AND Alcoholic? Or we are slightly less miserable AND slightly less alcoholic?
I'm not sure I'd agree with the second.

Honestly I was vaguely remembering some study that said UK had higher alcohol abuse rates, which I remembered because it was so counterintuitive.

But looking it up it seems to be wrong or I'm misremembering some Irish propaganda or something - we are indeed slightly worse than the UK :ughh: , fulfilling the stereotype as always.

Eastern Europe puts all of the inhabitants of this cursed archipelago in the ha'penny place though, those lads can drink

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The English also seem to be particularly genetically susceptible to placing themselves under the boot of people with posh accents and nothing but contempt for them, which is a pretty uncomfortable place to be

It's sad really. Like those fainting goats.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Cummings really dunking on the Department of Health.
Also, who let Jeremy oval office into this committee?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Comic Dumminings

Interesting stuff so far, worth a listen/watch along.

If Labour had been ahead of the game at all ever this would be prime "we loving told you" time. Ah well, at least they weren't playing politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Boris Johnson, piss drunk, demanding to be injected with the virus to show it won't do anyone any harm.

Hard to say how he nearly died from COVID.

Edit:

https://twitter.com/JamesEFoster/status/1397482068939091970