Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Gonzo McFee posted:

Boris Johnson, piss drunk, demanding to be injected with the virus to show it won't do anyone any harm.

Hard to say how he nearly died from COVID.

Imagine the banter timeline where Johnson died by his own hand after having a high viral load injected into his veins on Saturday night TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This might not be the case for everyone but when I was using the vaccination website, if I put my postcode in with a space, it gave me different results than if I put it in without a space, specifically the nearest result I got with a space was in loving knaresborough or some poo poo.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

OwlFancier posted:

This might not be the case for everyone but when I was using the vaccination website, if I put my postcode in with a space, it gave me different results than if I put it in without a space, specifically the nearest result I got with a space was in loving knaresborough or some poo poo.

Speaking as a programmer - how the gently caress do you even do that? I wrote better postcode handling code when I was 12.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Beefeater1980 posted:

This isn’t apropos of anything in particular, but it really bothers me that our default cultural output is sneering and that we whinge a lot.

... :britain: ...

something i found very telling was the difference between going to see standup comedy in US and here. over there, the default disposition of the audience seems to be that they are out to have a good time and that means getting their money's worth of laughs. they will laugh along with pretty much any old shite unless it is egregiously offensive. over here, audiences seem to be hostile to the person on stage by default and will take more pleasure in rolling their eyes and huffpuffing and even heckling them unless they are particularly good

Lady Demelza posted:

Years ago the subject of aluminium baseball/rounders bats came up in idle conversation and I was baffled for the moment it took me to realise that some people genuinely use them to play sport.

they make quite ethereal noises sometimes when they hit the ball

paank

like that

crispix fucked around with this message at 10:30 on May 26, 2021

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

They're discussing tweets from the @Dominic2306 account so I guess that's confirmation that it is him.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
"I think this country is absolutely hosed"

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

crispix posted:

something i found very telling was the difference between going to see standup comedy in US and here. over there, the default disposition of the audience seems to be that they are out to have a good time and that means getting their money's worth of laughs. they will laugh along with pretty much any old shite unless it is egregiously offensive. over here, audiences seem to be hostile to the person on stage by default and will take more pleasure in rolling their eyes and huffpuffing and even heckling them unless they are particularly good
they make quite ethereal noises sometimes when they hit the ball

I do wonder if that is down to UK stand up's doing a lot of Audience interaction compared to their US counterparts. I've been to shows with friends where they have gone out of their way to be noticed in the hope the comedian will pick on them. It's weird.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Party Boat posted:

They're discussing tweets from the @Dominic2306 account so I guess that's confirmation that it is him.

The guardian has been quoting that account for weeks, presumably com dum would have objected if it wasn't him

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1397486080631443459

That's Britain!

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Poor Cassandra Cummings, no one believed him

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Incredible

quote:

Cummings suggests PM talked about getting injected with Covid himself to reassure people

Cummings says if Johnson had attended a Cobra meeting, and said it was just like swine flu and that he wanted Chris Whitty to inject him with coronavirus live on TV, that would not have helped.

Greg Clark, who is asking the questions, does not pursue the allegation, but persists with questions about why Cummings was not able to get people to respond.

UPDATE: Cummings said:

Certainly, but the view of various officials inside Number 10 was if we have the prime minister chairing Cobra meetings and he just tells everyone ‘it’s swine flu, don’t worry about it, I’m going to get Chris Whitty to inject me live on TV with coronavirus so everyone realises it’s nothing to be frightened of’, that would not help actually serious panic.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

keep punching joe posted:

Imagine the banter timeline where Johnson died by his own hand after having a high viral load injected into his veins on Saturday night TV.

I would have died from the howling laughter of the damned.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh for the world that could have been.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Noxville posted:

Incredible

is this just bad Guardian writing or was what Cummings said that unparseable?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Necrothatcher posted:

is this just bad Guardian writing or was what Cummings said that unparseable?

A bit of both, the last paragraph is the direct quote, the implication being that Boris did actually propose that at a Cobra meeting

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Just put johnson under the covid gunge tank and make him say racial slurs for 5 minutes and if he repeats any of them or stops he gets it poured on him.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1238460692614844416

lmao how is this still up?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cummings really has had the arc of a House of Cards character. I'm surprised he hasn't had an unfortunate accident yet.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Just put johnson under the covid gunge tank and make him say racial slurs for 5 minutes and if he repeats any of them or stops he gets it poured on him.

*three hours later* "Wow, he's still going? Who knew there even were that many racial slurs?"

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Not the most self-aware but she’s sure being reminded of it right now

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1397489466797867009?s=21

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Noxville posted:

Not the most self-aware but she’s sure being reminded of it right now

https://twitter.com/ayeshahazarika/status/1397489466797867009?s=21

literally the same day lol

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1397485929032466433

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
UKMT June 2021 - I think we are absolutely hosed

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1397491339818852355

lmao this one passed me by.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
that's good it was punter friendly because the likes of me couldn't hope to comprehend what's going on they alls big brains

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

But who could have known?? Anyway, this is what I was tweeting on March 13th last year

https://twitter.com/NoxvilleWY/status/1238381963905568768?s=20

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Literally still have a couple of NTK t-shirts

I hope you bought

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3895746&pagenumber=8&perpage=40&#post497536441

:cool:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Nobody is gonna get in trouble for this coz the failure is too broad

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Communist Thoughts posted:

They'll learn lessons though. That's what matters.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah I think it's the duel edge sword of the Internet. Its plain to see that everyone from the government to the press absolutely hosed up their job in very obvious ways with the confessions that they hosed up and didn't know what they were doing out there for everyone to see so nobody can just be the singular fall guy so nobody will ever face long term blame.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

stev posted:

There’ll be an independent commission that in five years will rule that mistakes were made but by no one person in particular so nobody is actually really to blame

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

stev posted:

There will be a time to learn lessons, but it is not while we are in the middle of a national crisis.

- UK Government Spokesperson

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

There will be a time to learn lessons, but it is not while we are in the middle of a national crisis.

- UK Government Spokesperson

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1397461791198830597

UKMT May 2021: It's like Aesop's Fables for cunts

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

"Corbyn would have been terrible too" says Cummings, utterly unprovoked.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

- Sir Keith Starmer

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

happyhippy posted:

Depends on what you are buying, from who, and where.
More info will help.

See, that's part of my point, now have to guess in each case separately. For example, if my mother sends me some chocolate from Finland, is that gonna get stuck in customs, despite the nominal value being zero? What about the fact that the EU food standards are not the same as the UK ones, so Finnish chocolate doesn't have enough fecal matter and chlorine in it to qualify as proper?

What if I order some CDs or t-shirts from some company, which presumably would send them in an official-looking parcel with the real value marked on the front (and not as "gift" or whatever)?

What if I order, say, some second hand Lego set from a random seller, so that the package is quite large (but not heavy), and who knows what they will write down as the value and whether it's marked a "gift" or not?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

- Laura Kuenssberg

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Going to have to disagree with you about the Yanks, who have the fake optimism and brightness of someone trying to get you to sign up to an MLM (it's called capitalism).

Also um this very much depends on which bit of the US you're in. It's California that's full of the stereotypical ridiculously upbeat optimistic smiley types. Minnesota, not so much, you betcha.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ol Dommy Cummy just casually mentioned that Kuenssberg would call him to discuss news topics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Dominic Cummings keeps saying that he doesn't actually think he's that clever and has now realised it was crazy that anyone thought it was sensible to give him so much influence and control, which is making him worryingly relatable.