Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
That's a different phenomenon, related to how your body can, say, walk itself down the hall without your having to QWOP every muscle and tendon, or how a guitar player can shred out a solo he's played 10,000 times faster than he can think about the notes, i.e. once you've done something often enough, your brain outsources doing it to a sort of script function so you don't have to think about every bit of it consciously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Why don’t people just go for a nice walk/drive/meditation without their boss mandating they do so? :psyduck:

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Dongsturm posted:

I don't know if that is what is happening though. Don't most people commute in city traffic, and it's more like crawling bumper to bumper for 45 minutes? I've never had a meditative experience in that traffic, it has always left me twitchy and agitated.

I don't think these people are the ones missing the commute TBH. My commute is now 20-30min of nearly always traffic-free highway and I like it, but I did not like the previous one that was 1 to 2h randomly, with city driving bullshit and daily traffic jams.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Because there is no obligation to do so.

It's similar to the thing some people have where they "relax" on holiday by making themselves an extremely dense timetable of activities that must be completed, then come back to work exhausted and stressed because they failed to finish their to-do list of leisure activities. They cannot allow downtime without an enforced external pressure. The commute provides a period outside of the normal day where you have justification for not being productive.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

goatface posted:

Because there is no obligation to do so.

It's similar to the thing some people have where they "relax" on holiday by making themselves an extremely dense timetable of activities that must be completed, then come back to work exhausted and stressed because they failed to finish their to-do list of leisure activities. They cannot allow downtime without an enforced external pressure. The commute provides a period outside of the normal day where you have justification for not being productive.

It'd be beneficial if more people were okay with allowing themselves to be alone with their thoughts, doing nothing.

Blaise Pascal posted:

All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

You don't have to actually be friends, you can treat it like a dating sim where you get better jobs as you level up your friendship with the right people.

That sounds a lot harder than just finding ppl you like at work and keeping up with them when they leave

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I mainly miss my commute because it's part of my working day, and I get paid to do it. In the before times, I worked from home some days, went to customer site on other days, often on a train, which meant I got paid to sit and read if there were no emails coming in.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

My work was never forced into a wfh routine but they allowed and encourage(d) it, so I still do it sometimes for half days so I can be at home with my kids more. I usually go out for a drive after the work day regardless of whether it's a commute to home or just a drive around/to the store when I'm working from home. I've never experienced the "meditative" drive that some people do, I'm just a passionate driver and love driving :shobon:. I daily drive a classic car so it's a different sort of enjoyment but I totally get that people miss their commutes. I can see that middle manager types are using it with corporate speak to get people back in the office so owners don't realize those managers are completely pointless and redundant, but it's totally legit that people like their daily commutes.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I really like sitting on a train for half an hour with my thoughts. Add delays or overcrowding and it is instant stress and misery.

And while I could get upand meditate half an hour, without a practical motivator I'll just sleep another half hour and my mood won't be an inch better for it.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Again, another aspect of WFH that says more about me and my brokebrain than WFH but remains true nevertheless: I had bariatric surgery JUST before COVID hit and have lost a shitload of weight. A year+ later now that I'm at goal and more worried about maintaining than losing more, I find getting back to the office helps me because I have to be seen by other people, not wear pajamas and comically huge t-shirts that don't fit me anymore, and don't have my kitchen ten feet away to tempt me to restlessly graze without anyone judging me. Simply having to put on nice clothes that fit and go be seen by other people helps me in this regard, for the same reason I'm sure other people find it odious.

At least one study has found that Americans gained an average of 2 pounds per month during the lockdown.

I realize it's not inevitable but I would love to see real statistics (as opposed to anecdotes) about how many people gain weight when they transition to WFH. I suspect more than half gain rather than lose.

bikesonyx
Oct 9, 2014

I work at a car dealership, this poo poo drives me crazy.

Hint: It's not Target

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Why don’t people just go for a nice walk/drive/meditation without their boss mandating they do so? :psyduck:
The mental state of 'going to work' or 'going to home from work' are necessary triggers for some people. Again you might as well ask why everyone doesn't sun their rear end in a top hat in the dawn light.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

bikesonyx posted:

I work at a car dealership, this poo poo drives me crazy.

Hint: It's not Target

What exactly is going on here?

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Imagined posted:

Again, another aspect of WFH that says more about me and my brokebrain than WFH but remains true nevertheless: I had bariatric surgery JUST before COVID hit and have lost a shitload of weight. A year+ later now that I'm at goal and more worried about maintaining than losing more, I find getting back to the office helps me because I have to be seen by other people, not wear pajamas and comically huge t-shirts that don't fit me anymore, and don't have my kitchen ten feet away to tempt me to restlessly graze without anyone judging me. Simply having to put on nice clothes that fit and go be seen by other people helps me in this regard, for the same reason I'm sure other people find it odious.

At least one study has found that Americans gained an average of 2 pounds per month during the lockdown.

I realize it's not inevitable but I would love to see real statistics (as opposed to anecdotes) about how many people gain weight when they transition to WFH. I suspect more than half gain rather than lose.

Some what similar reasons for me. Routine works very, very well to manage my ADHD (in addition to medication, etc). So I work out in the office building gym* and go into the office even though there is no one there. WFH is just too hard to make a routine for me and there is too much temptation to e.g. play video games over lunch and then I realize it’s 4 pm and I blew half a day. I don’t feel bad about gaming on company time, I just don’t want to get fired because I didn’t actually ever get any work done. It’s like that highway syndrome wiki page where turning something into a routine hides it from my ADHD conscious mind so it can’t gently caress it up or require limited mental energy to consciously push back against the ADHD. I understand this doesn’t apply to most people.

*One minor perk is that the building gym has basically turned into my own personal fitness center. There is no one there, ever.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Outrail posted:

What exactly is going on here?

Did someone take a shopping cart and start using it to move parts around a dealership?

When I worked at Costco years ago our managers found out a neighboring apt building had a collection of our carts they used to move stuff around and we were sent to retrieve them. We got them back without a fuss, there must have been over 20 or so.

It was interesting working with fellow teens who were in their first job ever. Most were fine but it was odd trying to tell a new guy when it's 90+ degrees out he should accept the sunscreen and water cooler, and not opt for a giant coke and pizza before starting an 8 hour shift. At least we got him into the shade a few hours later before his body totally quit on him.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 27, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Zarin posted:

Triple-posting but I don't care!

I think everyone in this thread has the mindset of "do what makes you happy, whatevs". The problem is that The People With All The Power are coming up with (seemingly absurd) reasons for Why Everyone Must Come Back Into The Office Five Days Per Week, which is where the pushback originates from.

For example, if every employer was going with "pick what schedule works for you and we'll support it!", I think we'd see a lot of conversation about what kinds of schedules everyone was looking at picking out. However, since the conversation is primarily being driven by "Get The gently caress Back Here Where I Can See You, But I Can't Say That So I'll Talk About My Love Of Commuting Instead" we get . . . well, what we're getting here :(

Dumb poo poo my work does: exists.

Ok but directly above you is

Zarin posted:

But yeah, if you don't have the room/resources/dispostion to create a space that you're happy with to do work from home, then yeah I can definitely see your point of view here. I've been in a temporary pre-furnished apartment for a month, with almost a month left to go, and if THIS was my WFH experience I'd be ready to chew my own torso off to get away from it :(

The problem isn't that people are working from home and they think I don't understand why they're mad they have to go back into the office, the problem is that they don't understand that some people WANT to go back, because working from home regardless of circumstances, setup, home life, etc DOES NOT WORK FOR THEM.

zedprime posted:

The mental state of 'going to work' or 'going to home from work' are necessary triggers for some people. Again you might as well ask why everyone doesn't sun their rear end in a top hat in the dawn light.

Pulcinella posted:

Some what similar reasons for me. Routine works very, very well to manage my ADHD (in addition to medication, etc). So I work out in the office building gym* and go into the office even though there is no one there. WFH is just too hard to make a routine for me and there is too much temptation to e.g. play video games over lunch and then I realize it’s 4 pm and I blew half a day. I don’t feel bad about gaming on company time, I just don’t want to get fired because I didn’t actually ever get any work done. It’s like that highway syndrome wiki page where turning something into a routine hides it from my ADHD conscious mind so it can’t gently caress it up or require limited mental energy to consciously push back against the ADHD. I understand this doesn’t apply to most people.

*One minor perk is that the building gym has basically turned into my own personal fitness center. There is no one there, ever.

It's all this. It's like saying "why be depressed? Why not just choose to be happy? Bing bong so simple" and then getting confused that people are upset about it. It doesn't work that way! It doesn't matter how nice my home is, or my desk! It doesn't matter that my commute is nice or terrible!

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 27, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Volmarias posted:

The problem isn't that people are working from home and they think I don't understand why they're mad they have to go back into the office, the problem is that they don't understand that some people WANT to go back, because working from home regardless of circumstances, setup, home life, etc DOES NOT WORK FOR THEM.

It's all this. It's like saying "why be depressed? Why not just choose to be happy? Bing bong so simple" and then getting confused that people are upset about it. It doesn't work that way! It doesn't matter how nice my home is, or my desk! It doesn't matter that my commute is nice or terrible!

Yeah, and if you could stop being poor while you're at it that would be great.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Volmarias posted:

As an introvert I survived the transitions from office to cubicle to open floor plan and was expected to suck it up and deal with it, so not feeling much sympathy tbh (except people with little kids or that goon with the aunt, poor bastard)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sloppy posted:

As an introvert I survived the transitions from office to cubicle to open floor plan and was expected to suck it up and deal with it, so not feeling much sympathy tbh (except people with little kids or that goon with the aunt, poor bastard)
It's not a competition. Our bosses want it to be but it's not.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Sloppy posted:

A year away from the constant anxiety of being surrounded by other people and ending every day with a massive headache from that combined with trying to focus through their noise has been so nice. Not sure how long I'm gonna tolerate being forced back into that.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Sounds like a lot of you guys aren't team players, just wanting to get your work done. I think we need some teambuilding exercises and maybe even a cheerful morning chant or celebration!

a very large fish
Oct 18, 2012
my soul cant take going back to doing scrum meetings in person and i will fight each and every one of you to stay home and avoid spiritual death

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

zedprime posted:

Yeah, that's fair. My post sounded pretty boomer-ish I guess :v:

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

zedprime posted:

I agree, but it is somewhat frustrating to see all the ammunition the bosses are going to use to take WFH away from everyone.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I don't really understand why any business would want to have people working in an office. Surely keeping a fancy office is a massive expense? Wouldn't it be better to have a smaller office that people can book for meetings etc. but then let them work from home the rest of the time? I generally trust my team to do their jobs, and I have very clear and obvious metrics that would show if they weren't.

I'm guessing that the concern is that people will slack off without having someone over their shoulder the entire time, but I don't care if they achieve what they need to in a few hours and spend the rest of their day playing video games or looking after their kids or whatever, as far as I'm concerned, they're paid for the results they get, not the hours they do to achieve those results.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

dick wizard posted:

my soul cant take going back to doing scrum meetings in person and i will fight each and every one of you to stay home and avoid spiritual death

theres really no reason to have live scrums

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

dick wizard posted:

I don't mind scrum meetings except for when I'm pulled off on 40 other things to do for a day, it feels awful to go "uh, I didn't do poo poo on this project", especially if a PO is in the meeting.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Scientastic posted:

I don't really understand why any business would want to have people working in an office. Surely keeping a fancy office is a massive expense? Wouldn't it be better to have a smaller office that people can book for meetings etc. but then let them work from home the rest of the time? I generally trust my team to do their jobs, and I have very clear and obvious metrics that would show if they weren't.

I'm guessing that the concern is that people will slack off without having someone over their shoulder the entire time, but I don't care if they achieve what they need to in a few hours and spend the rest of their day playing video games or looking after their kids or whatever, as far as I'm concerned, they're paid for the results they get, not the hours they do to achieve those results.

This is an atypical managerial mindset, that's why.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

thathonkey posted:

theres really no reason to have live scrums

It gives middle management something to do.

Scientastic posted:

Yeah I acknowledge that many people need to be in an office from the nature of their work, and that some goons do not want to work from home, but this 100% fits my situation. They pay me for 40 hours of work and this is being completed. No reason for me to be at a different location doing the exact same thing.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Cthulu Carl posted:

What were the arguments against using 'littoral'?

Probably something along the lines of "The drooling masses have no idea what that word means, and will confuse it for a misspelling of 'literal'".

My dumb poo poo:
I know you're trying, Vendor IT guy for an unbelievably convoluted piece of higher education ERP software, but we've been going back and forth to get this API working for a month, please just escalate the ticket. :negative:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Sardonik posted:

My dumb poo poo:
I know you're trying, Vendor IT guy for an unbelievably convoluted piece of higher education ERP software, but we've been going back and forth to get this API working for a month, please just escalate the ticket. :negative:

Speaking of IT guys, have I got one now. Gotta cut costs by cutting unnecessary staff, yknow.

Remaining IT staff that can work with our division: 0

(Old database wizard is still around but tickets are a stone wall of silence. Hey, remember all those processes I mentioned that have to run through IT tickets because they won't trust us with database update tools?)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Scientastic posted:

Real estate shell games and tax incentives, mostly.

A bit of administrative tax work too as an example: WFH opens up a huge mixture of municipalities and states/tax collecting regions that your employees can work in and then your employees (and municipalities) expect payroll to manage.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Volmarias posted:

Ah, see, I think I was looking at it the other way - I guess I see the people saying that as a sort of pushback reaction to being forced back into the office.

That is to say, if you asked everyone individually "Should people stay working from home, go back into the office, or be allowed to choose?" I think everyone in this thread would say "Eh, let 'em choose". But because so many companies are doing their best Scorpion impression, that is setting the tone for the narrative - which is making people sound more unsympathetic to the people who truly DO want to go back than they otherwise would, I think.

Maybe I'm being too generous to people as a whole, though! :shrug:

Personally, I was a huge proponent of WFH pre-COVID. Now having WFH for over a year, I think I appreciate the benefits of in-person communication a bit more now. For my tastes, I'd like to go into the office 1-2 days a week with everyone, then WFH the rest of the time. If others wanted to work in the office 5 days a week, there's definitely room for that in that model as well. Hell, even WFH - if you have a conference room, just turn on the phone or whatever. Strangely, some of the biggest opponents of WFH that I've ever met had overseas people on their teams that regularly dialed into meetings. How is someone sitting at home vs. somebody sitting in an office half the planet away really any different, when you get right down to it?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Honestly being in the office by myself or with the two other extroverts in the building while 90% of everyone else works from home is kind of best of both world for me. I can smack my gum and tap my feet and hum a tune and play music out loud and do all the other things that would make me a terrible office neighbor, pretend I'm Homer Simpson in that episode where the rest of Springfield gets obliterated by le bombe neutron oh I've wasted my life and just enjoy blissful productivity in a deserted office and hopefully still get home before the ghouls eat my skin, and we will just see who looks like zee frog now. Last spring when I kept coming in to digitize incoming physical mail to send out to the people working from home felt like the perpetual last week of high school before summer vacation, it was great.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 27, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
How about we compromise: 4 day work week. 1 mandatory office day. 3 days WFH (optional). Once per year employees may vote to boil managers alive in a cartoon cauldron.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

zedprime posted:

Real estate shell games and tax incentives, mostly.

A bit of administrative tax work too as an example: WFH opens up a huge mixture of municipalities and states/tax collecting regions that your employees can work in and then your employees (and municipalities) expect payroll to manage.

That's a good point. I think NYC has been rushing to get city workers back in their offices as commercial real estate is a massive part of their tax base along with hundreds of thousands of commuters spending money during the day. Makes sense if you're running the city and need that revenue to not massively slash the budget, but the feelings of workers who would prefer to be at home doesn't seem to be a consideration.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Scientastic posted:

Read (or listen) to the book Bullshit Jobs. A lot of the culture of work is about the more people you visibly have working for you, the more status you have.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Some more of our staff surveying results came out this week. ~5% of our office said they need/want to be in full time, which is a bit more than how many have been needed to run the minimum-requirements skeleton crew so that sounds about right. Most wanted a day a week or less.

Just over 50% of responses to the survey said they never, ever wanted to be in the office on a Friday. Which is honestly lower than I would have expected.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That's a good point. I think NYC has been rushing to get city workers back in their offices as commercial real estate is a massive part of their tax base along with hundreds of thousands of commuters spending money during the day. Makes sense if you're running the city and need that revenue to not massively slash the budget, but the feelings of workers who would prefer to be at home doesn't seem to be a consideration.

This is true, I know friends in other agencies and my father works for a related agency to mine and literally everybody is like "We can do our jobs reasonably well and productively why the gently caress are we going back". My direct supervisors have been pretty honest in the fact that we've been pretty productive and there's a slight tick compared to working in the office but they're still trying to get everybody back. I spoke to a union rep about this and she confirmed that other agencies have already started forcing people to come to work at regular capacity. People are rightfully bringing this up to higher ups and the union that we should at least do 2 to 3 days in home.

Since the pandemic hit its forced a lot of agencies that have been stuck in the early 2000s to finally upgrade their systems at least early 2010s. Like my agency when I got hired late 2019 we were still processing cases by paper. So we'd have these big rear end binders of documents of participants that have been with us for decades. The second we were stuck at home the agency had to start forcing the participants to submit everything by email or online. This poo poo should've been standard practice for 10 years now. Its still a grossly inefficient system but it got a little better because of covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Just this March they've finally introduced a digital filing system that should have been available 5-10 years ago