Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dbzfandiego
Sep 17, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

oh, that's pretty neat. kinda makes octopath a bit less unique though

Octopath was likely a tech demo game to see if the style was worth exploring in the future and it seems that Square-Enix decided that it was and we will be seeing more of this in the future, like with the SRPG that they are making now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
act 1 > act 2 is a good, satisfying story. act 1 > act 3 would also probably be a fine story. but going act 1 > act 2 > act 3 felt real bad to me and soured the end of a game i was otherwise really enjoying

more importantly i'm looking forward to fresh new animated sprites for all of dq3's monsters

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Where the hell is Dragon Quest Builders 3??

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
It seems like the DQM game they mentioned in the past is now Dragon Quest Treasures, which might be a DQM style game still? The characters certainly had a bunch of monster companions but no sort of combat was shown so who knows.

*uncontrollable, gleeful shrieking*

Tired Moritz posted:

oh, that's pretty neat. kinda makes octopath a bit less unique though

Not really? Octopath is still unique in that it showed just how good this style can look and while the 'true ending' was weak the general setup of 8 individual stories whose characters can meet and team up is what we ended up with. I know it sucks that the game doesn't take others into account for cutscenes despite just how much work that would take if you wanted it to be meaningful (or even just pointless commentary) but they were pretty clear from the start it was a smaller scale project game.

I do have higher expectations for Triangle Strategy though since their demo just made me want another Tactics Ogre game even though this probably won't be that (but boy would I be happy if it was).

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

Barudak posted:

:haibrower::haibrower::haibrower::haibrower:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Barudak posted:

The studio that made it no longer exists, so its doubtful we'll see another builders for a very long time if ever.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dragon quest builders is over now. the director has stepped up to the righteous cause of remaking the fate/extra games with hd taiga and combat that functions instead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

octopath, triangle strategy, and this remake all look like refried rear end

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

what if we put decent sprite work into the lighting engine from ride to hell: retribution

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The studio that made it no longer exists, so its doubtful we'll see another builders for a very long time if ever.

They specifically rolled it into Creative Business Unit 3, which is currently occupied with small titles such as "Final Fantasy XIV" and "Final Fantasy XVI."

I'm depressed. I want Builders 3 so badly, but it seems unlikely for a long time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Octopath would look good if the bloom wasn't set to "Oblivion" levels and it looks like they at least toned it down for DQ3

but i'd play it regardless because it's dq3 oops

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Endorph posted:

octopath, triangle strategy, and this remake all look like refried rear end

looks good to me op

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i had to turn all the post-processing poo poo in octopath down to the lowest settings because it was making my eyes hurt and i legit couldnt focus on anything on the screen

i mean i have bad eyes that also can't handle fuckin 3ds 3d but still seems bad imo

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Dragon Quest 12 also exists

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1397765807392759810

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
they are going to say "gently caress"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1397771834897039361

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hd 3d is just ar tonelico 2 with fan remade environments and enb shaders

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Can’t wait to have an edgy adult dragon quest as I fight terrible foes like Ham Shamwitch, Zumeanie, and most terrible of them all, the dreaded Healslime.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Love dark, mature content

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Finally the puff puff scene is free from the shackles of all ages content

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 27, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Can’t wait to have an edgy adult dragon quest as I fight terrible foes like Ham Shamwitch, Zumeanie, and most terrible of them all, the dreaded Healslime.

<puts on their 90's comic edge hat> Lessee, Ham Sheb*tch, Cumonme, and hhhm Healcrime. Done, lunch break and raises all around.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Barudak posted:

<puts on their 90's comic edge hat> Lessee, Ham Sheb*tch, Cumonme, and hhhm Healcrime. Done, lunch break and raises all around.

Wow I didn't know you had a job translating KMMOs in the 2008-2010 era

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

As usual it's a drat good time to be a Dragon Quest fan :cheerdoge:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Holy poo poo Kowloon High-School Chronicle is finally on the EU eShop

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Finally the puff puff scene is free from the shackles of all ages content

This is unironically pretty great, can’t wait for my edgy new Dragon Quest to show my presumably gormless protagonist and his merry band being motorboated by a ripped chiseled man with the enhanced graphical quality the PS5/Xbox/PC and downgraded Switch port can provide.

Since, yeah, that’s usually what happens. That or make up. Or bungee jumping!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Holy poo poo Kowloon High-School Chronicle is finally on the EU eShop

After all my complaining I got a physical copy last week and haven't even played it yet lol

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

After all my complaining I got a physical copy last week and haven't even played it yet lol

Oh it got a phys release? drat I might get that then

also I bought moon the day it was released and have not booted it up at all :negative:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah PQube did an EU and presumably AUS cart release. I think it was actually more expensive than digital though lol

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Puff Puff is finally going to just be called Fellatio.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought it was a boobjob

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Not Adult enough.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I guess Square took that recent Games Industry article to heart?

The one quote from it that I've seen highlighted:

quote:

Naturally, it isn't quite as simple as all that -- especially if Square Enix is seriously committed to making Dragon Quest a more palatable brand in the West. That requires a ground-up re-examination of the series, starting with character designs and setting and extending all the way to other features like the battle system.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 27, 2021

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

"Dragon Quest for adults" just means "we put angry eyebrows on the slimes."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kay Kessler posted:

"Dragon Quest for adults" just means "we put angry eyebrows on the slimes."

I assumed the design notes will just read like "more cleavage, shorter skirts, longer heels".

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Tae posted:

They just announced the Octopath Engine remake for Dragon Quest 3.
Wow, OK, this will get me to play DQIII.

For DQ I & II do you all recommend playing the GBC version or the Switch(/mobile) version? I bought the latter, but I have a GBC flash cart too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
IMO the mobile versions, the faux-medieval deliberately dumb accents add a lot of charm to I as various NPCs tell you stuff like “verily, I am doghouse-bound!” and it’s more consistent with the translations every modern DQ has.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Its gonna keep all the puns you love except adult, so the bumbling squire Futtbucker who really just wants to work at his friend Bunbury's shop packaging up fudge.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I don’t think I expect Futtbucker to make the cut but I wouldn’t be surprised if we legitimately get like a half dozen innuendos like that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

This is already a series where there is at least one female character in every game you can dress up like a dominatrix and teach to use whips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

my chosen interpretation, though, is that the hero character is Johnny Fiveaces but still a silent protagonist