Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

e: United Nations Security Council Resolution 146 told Belgium to gtfo Congo.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ooouhhh

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

ThomasPaine posted:

We were always going to get a bump in cases when things reopened. I'd be extremely surprised if we had another huge wave like we did over winter.
The information I wish was more readily shared was who is getting it; how much is being driven by the the unvaccinated, partially vaccinated, and fully vaccinated.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm not sure what a rejection of Starmer would pave the way for

Massive lols, if nothing else.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
There will be a big surge in cases, and a likely quite small bump in deaths. Sucks if you get long COVID that shreds your balls and gives you popcorn lungs tho

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Hoping someone can help me out here... I booked my jabs a couple of days ago, and I have the first one tomorrow. I can't actually remember where it is (other than its in Ashford, which is an hours drive away from me), and the NHS hasn't sent me a confirmation, by email or text.

When I try to access the relevant info on the website, it tells me I need to provide a booking reference. But I don't have one. It won't let me resubmit details as if I were applying for the first time, so it clearly recognises that I'm booked in the system, I just have no way of getting in. Anyone come across this, or have any idea how to resolve the situation?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Pablo Bluth posted:

The information I wish was more readily shared was who is getting it; how much is being driven by the the unvaccinated, partially vaccinated, and fully vaccinated.

From what I remember hearing much of the current rise in the areas with the Indian variant is down to unvaccinated under 30s who are obviously being made to go to work still

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

TACD posted:

If you're on iOS / macOS, Hush does that very well.

This is a great tip! Thankyou!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm not sure what a rejection of Starmer would pave the way for, but it is a necessity if anything good is to happen in any of our lifetimes.
Honestly, even someone from the party right would be better than Starmer. At least they'd be trying to oppose the government.

Even if they were just vocally demanding resignations over corruption they'd be infinitely better than the Sad Ham Man they've wedged into a suit.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

Yeah there are some things like big Lego sets and whatnot where "the value is £11, honest guv" might not work if it's a gigantic box of stuff. Most shops will also make it obvious from the forms they use that it's a commercial thing, it varies a lot by shop so you don't really know how they'll do it.

It's annoyingly unpredictable. Another thing is, I don't like that the default will now be "lol of course you should try to cheat on your taxes, it's usually very easy". How about making normal-people small trade stuff seamless and costless, and instead collect the required tax money by properly taxing the giant multinationals like Amazon? Ah right, Brexit... the goal of that was obivously to do the opposite :negative:

Because what I'm buying is mainly toys I don't particularly mind paying the 20% tax. What gets me is the £8 "handling fee" that Royal Mail charge for the pleasure of collecting said tax.

£10 Warham, £2 VAT, £8 handling fee. :gonk:
£4000 Diamond ring, £1000 VAT, £8 handling fee.

Serious turn off buying low value stuff from abroad. I've found most Europeans, particularly Eastern ones pretty reasonable about "adjusting forms". Yanks are quite reluctant and everyone else will do it as a matter of course without you even needing to ask.

I'm not sure what the comeback is on anyone though. It's not like HMRC have any desire to chase a seller across international borders for helping to evade £4 in VAT. The aforementioned knockoff titan story ended with the buyer producing the PayPal invoice and paying standard vat without any penalties whatsoever.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Dabir posted:

Chrome also has all these features.

I didn't say it didn't?

But seriously, stop using chrome. Google are starting to dictate how the Internet works because of the huge monopoly they have on browser users. I don't care if you use Firefox or not, just don't use chrome.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:09 on May 27, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Edge is pretty much the best browser now, if you fancy giving Microsoft control instead.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Edge is pretty much the best browser now, if you fancy giving Microsoft control instead.

Let me guess, you've already had both vaccine jabs?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Has anyone got a link to that Gary Younge thing? I can't find the post now. (It might have been in CSPAM).

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Has anyone got a link to that Gary Younge thing? I can't find the post now. (It might have been in CSPAM).

https://elizmizon.substack.com/p/praxis-makes-perfect-gary-younge

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Miftan posted:

Just laying the groundwork before my first jab on Saturday.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Miftan posted:

lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Miftan posted:

It actually is though.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Edge is based on Chromium now so you get the correct rendering that it provides without having to use Chrome, which is nice if you want that

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JFC what a thoroughly cursed Guardian header image

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

TACD posted:

JFC what a thoroughly cursed Guardian header image

He's got a perfect face to be a birthday party clown, I can't explain any further

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Perfect Element posted:

Hoping someone can help me out here... I booked my jabs a couple of days ago, and I have the first one tomorrow. I can't actually remember where it is (other than its in Ashford, which is an hours drive away from me), and the NHS hasn't sent me a confirmation, by email or text.

When I try to access the relevant info on the website, it tells me I need to provide a booking reference. But I don't have one. It won't let me resubmit details as if I were applying for the first time, so it clearly recognises that I'm booked in the system, I just have no way of getting in. Anyone come across this, or have any idea how to resolve the situation?

They're *supposed* to text and email you the confirmation 2 weeks prior, or immediately if the booking is less than two weeks away (although they do also warn you to save/print the details of the booking when you make it).

Anyway best thing I can suggest is ring 119 - I'm not 100% sure they can help you, but the website is broken in a number of interesting ways and 119 are about the only way around most of them.

e: Musgrove Park Medical Centre, Ashford is the only site listed in Ashford on https://www.kentandmedwayccg.nhs.uk/your-health/coronavirus/covid19vaccine if that helps?

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 18:08 on May 27, 2021

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Noxville posted:

Edge is based on Chromium now so you get the correct rendering that it provides without having to use Chrome, which is nice if you want that

It’s basically chrome without using up all your RAM, so is better.

I got my first jab today at noon (Pfizer) and my arm is sore as gently caress, and I feel very tired. I have a headache coming on and I can’t tell if it’s a coincidence or just psychosomatic or I’m on my way to side effect city.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Failed Imagineer posted:

There will be a big surge in cases, and a likely quite small bump in deaths. Sucks if you get long COVID that shreds your balls and gives you popcorn lungs tho

Can't say much on the topic of balls yet, but I've had a fairly mild case of covid early in the winter, and it totally did something to my lungs. Which sucks.

Like, I used to be able to jog 5k fairly consistently before covid (doing up to 10k on good days) - even if I didn't excercise for some time, I'd get back to this level fairly quickly once I'd start doing it again consistently. First jog post-covid, after a couple of months of inactivity, I could barely run a kilometre. Now, after about 3 months of going at it, I can barely run a 3k - and even that requires a couple of walking bouts along the way, just to catch my breath. I'm in my late 20-ies, so I'm pretty sure it's not an age thing

Covid loving sucks is what I'm saying. Even supposedly-mild forms of covid

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

When I went for mine today the person ahead of me in the queue didn't have their reference either. The staff were able to look up this person's reference by taking some basic details and they were then able to get their vaccination. As for the where I'm a bit stumped as from searching it doesn't look like Ashford has a mass vaccination centre. You could try calling 119 to confirm your appointment.

efb by twisto (again!) :argh:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

When I went for mine today the person ahead of me in the queue didn't have their reference either. The staff were able to look up this person's reference by taking some basic details and they were then able to get their vaccination. As for the where I'm a bit stumped as from searching it doesn't look like Ashford has a mass vaccination centre. You could try calling 119 to confirm your appointment.

efb by twisto (again!) :argh:

Thanks, and thanks twisto. I'll call 119 tomorrow if I haven't got my confirmation by then. Just don't fancy taking half a day off work just to show up at a centre and not get jabbed!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

I didn't say it didn't?

But seriously, stop using chrome. Google are starting to dictate how the Internet works because of the huge monopoly they have on browser users. I don't care if you use Firefox or not, just don't use chrome.

I have stopped using Chrome. But it bugs me that Firefox doesn't have this feature that Chrome has and doesn't seem to trade that absence for anything.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I use Lynx like God intended

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's called Axe in America.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hmmmmmm that first figure is looking kinda 'exponential' again

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

knox_harrington posted:

I use Lynx like God intended

If you're not using an intelligent agent to mail pages to your UUCP account you're just a poseur.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Guavanaut posted:

It's called Axe in America.

Also in Europe.

Brits being special snowflakes as always.

It's still the universal smell of schoolboy changing rooms (or well was when I was one).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

multijoe posted:

Hmmmmmm that first figure is looking kinda 'exponential' again

I mean day-on-day changes of 500 or more are actually pretty common. Slightly more worrying is the solid upward trend in North West England and London the last few weeks - these are the areas with the lowest vaccination rates *and* the most likely-to-spread populations, as well as the main hotspots of the Indian variant. However these are also experiencing a big upswing in testing so the positivity rate is actually *dropping*, so not *quite* the end of the world yet.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I went to look up the Tower Hamlets vaccination rate, just as a matter of interest, and it's a loving woeful 37% first dose 16% second... but then cross-referenced that with our age profile and it turns out only 36% of our population is over 35. This both means we're actually doing pretty well... and are gonna get bummed in the gob now that it's open to people in their 30s.

It makes it all the more annoying that other areas were rushing ahead and working down the age ranges quicker than the official guidance - London HAs should *definitely* have been doing that because (apart from the poo poo areas) London skews wildly younger than the rest of the country and unless something really major changes I can't see how we can get this poo poo done in time.

On the upside - several of the big centres are working well short of capacity. The big one in Islington is only using about a third of its available capacity, the main one in Tower Hamlets is only at about half capacity, and apparently Excel is like 10% tops. Hopefully once they've run out of arms in the provinces all the jabbers can come spend a couple of weeks in the smoke to finish things off.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Is this Kent? A friend of mine turned up for his first jab earlier in the week and they couldn't find him in the system. They sent him home because they didn't have spares. He wasn't the first person to turn up with a booking that hadn't gone through. And he had the same problem trying to rebook, because the website recognised he'd already made an appointment, and wouldn't let him start again. It's a weird glitch and I wonder if it's affecting the same centre.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I mean day-on-day changes of 500 or more are actually pretty common. Slightly more worrying is the solid upward trend in North West England and London the last few weeks - these are the areas with the lowest vaccination rates *and* the most likely-to-spread populations, as well as the main hotspots of the Indian variant. However these are also experiencing a big upswing in testing so the positivity rate is actually *dropping*, so not *quite* the end of the world yet.

It's also weird since looking at the case heatmaps the virus is completely loving receding from some places. The Indian variant is becoming the dominant, and it's doing so in very identifiable locations, but what remained of the previous variants is drastically dwindling in places like the south-west.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Szmitten posted:

It's also weird since looking at the case heatmaps the virus is completely loving receding from some places. The Indian variant is becoming the dominant, and it's doing so in very identifiable locations, but what remained of the previous variants is drastically dwindling in places like the south-west.

Heat might have something to do with that, tbh - I'm convinced that if it weren't for the poo poo weather so far this month we'd be down to background noise levels of infections.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Heat might have something to do with that, tbh - I'm convinced that if it weren't for the poo poo weather so far this month we'd be down to background noise levels of infections.

No Covid, only sweaty bollocks and hayfever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Where I used to work, a guy used to smoke illicitly in his office with the door closed.
And when he finished, he would squirt lynx liberally around his office to disguise the smell.
My office was about 30m away and even with my door shut, my eyes would water from the Lynx.
I used to phone him up and tell him off for smoking again and he never guessed it was the lynx that betrayed him.
Mind you I can smell a lit cig at very long distance. I'd rather the cig smell than the lynx.