Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

This thing is unbelievable. This is jackie chan what meme levels of clean for the age. None of this makes any sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seriously. How dry rotted are the tires at this point? :v:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Was this parked in the suzuki museum?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That Carry is so choice man very good. That is insanely rarified air with that mileage. I have a 85 with maybe 3600? Miles but you are on another level. I’m a low mile fiend and this is awesome, super impressed.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Sockington posted:

What is the realistic chance of finding a clean base model 02-05 Subaru Forester with an automatic?

Between the cost of paint, new panels, and other miscellaneous items, it’s really making me consider LHD swapping my XT components into a clean chassis and converting it to LHD since I have a donor. :)

I can't go five minutes without seeing stock JDM SG Foresters with automatics driving around central Alberta. They are everywhere.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Mtmd posted:

My terrible phone photos don't do it justice. Aside from the bumper fade it looks like it was assembled last week.

It looks like it probably even has new car smell, holy poo poo.

It’s like a time machine :captainpop:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

McTinkerson posted:

I can't go five minutes without seeing stock JDM SG Foresters with automatics driving around central Alberta. They are everywhere.

Why is this news to me. Seat Safety Switch has failed me

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

johnnyonetime posted:

Whatup Kaker, we're Surf buddies now! :hfive:

Hell yeah, Surf's freakin' own.

Sockington posted:

What is the realistic chance of finding a clean base model 02-05 Subaru Forester with an automatic?

Between the cost of paint, new panels, and other miscellaneous items, it’s really making me consider LHD swapping my XT components into a clean chassis and converting it to LHD since I have a donor. :)

I assume you're in Canada because you are specifying newer than 25 years, and though I never look that new, I would be surprised if you have any issue at all. You can pick up bog-standard, cherry 'boring' cars all day, so an auto Subaru Forester outside the reach of the US market should be exceptionally inexpensive. Be curious to see a RHD -> LHD swap, at least in Toyotas lots of things are mirrored including lots of things under the hood.

Mtmd posted:

I'll probably hit up that instagram account and see if they can dig up some history because I've been racking my brain to try and imagine the scenario where a barebones, no option kei truck only has ~800 miles put on it in 26 years while also showing evidence of regular maintenance and no signs of it ever even being outside in it's life. My terrible phone photos don't do it justice. Aside from the bumper fade it looks like it was assembled last week.

Be curious to see that account too, though it isn't terribly uncommon to pick up sub-10k km vehicles at all, so why not sub 1k miles? If someone had this as a lawnmower-esque piece of equipment for a specific task then sure, why not. Looks amazing.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Southwestern Ontario.

I have a friend down the street that stripped his 2004 XT to a bare shell to install a manual harness and conversion to 6 speed. I’ve had a ton of GD’s apart.

I can’t imagine it would be too crazy beyond some firewall sheet metal.

Mtmd
Dec 29, 2008

Suburban Dad posted:

Seriously. How dry rotted are the tires at this point? :v:

The tires are from 2019 and in really good shape, including the spare. Someone has clearly bothered to maintain it. I haven't had a chance to pop the engine cover yet but from what I can see all of the hoses and various rubber bits look healthy too which was the big thing I was worried about. Hell, none of the weather sealing looks like its actually been exposed to weather.

taqueso posted:

Was this parked in the suzuki museum?

My best guess is it was used at some sort of warehouse to run poo poo back and forth or something. It really looks like it's never been outdoors in it's life.

everdave posted:

That Carry is so choice man very good. That is insanely rarified air with that mileage. I have a 85 with maybe 3600? Miles but you are on another level. I’m a low mile fiend and this is awesome, super impressed.

Thanks man. All credit to my partner. She wanted a truck for herself hence the 94 in the background but when she saw this she immediately sent Yoshi a second deposit.

LeeMajors posted:

It looks like it probably even has new car smell, holy poo poo.

It’s like a time machine :captainpop:

It's definitely still got a hint of it :cool:

KakerMix posted:

Be curious to see that account too, though it isn't terribly uncommon to pick up sub-10k km vehicles at all, so why not sub 1k miles? If someone had this as a lawnmower-esque piece of equipment for a specific task then sure, why not. Looks amazing.

I'll report back. Guy got back to me last night and said he'd take a look for me.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sockington posted:

O.o

Holy poo poo, Sockington?
Welcome back!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Darchangel posted:

Holy poo poo, Sockington?
Welcome back!

Amen. Love seeing him pop back up and folks not knowing the king of the Canadian rust scale.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Sockington posted:

Southwestern Ontario.

I have a friend down the street that stripped his 2004 XT to a bare shell to install a manual harness and conversion to 6 speed. I’ve had a ton of GD’s apart.

I can’t imagine it would be too crazy beyond some firewall sheet metal.

You know you're gonna have to make a thread if you do this right :colbert:

I don't think we've ever had a thread where someone did that kind of a swap before.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There better be jorts

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I'm sure there will be rust.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I’m not even sure I ever really posted what I went through with my Subaru Forester XT.

I put 16sqf of 16gauge, 8sqfof 20gauge, and 4sqf of 3/16” steel the rear end end of it.

I’ve seen the abyss and it looked back.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Darchangel posted:

Sometimes I temporarily win. :unsmith:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
In Ontario rust is a way of life.

Sockington posted:

Southwestern Ontario.

Elephant's rear end in a top hat here.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
drat, Mtmd, those are amazing!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Sockington posted:

I’m not even sure I ever really posted what I went through with my Subaru Forester XT.

I put 16sqf of 16gauge, 8sqfof 20gauge, and 4sqf of 3/16” steel the rear end end of it.

I’ve seen the abyss and it looked back.

Oh Lord of Rust, welcome back

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Mtmd posted:

Aside from the bumper fade it looks like it was assembled last week.

Use some ceracote and be amazed. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SHJVK4G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_NPQZYQKMSQNDYVHV7X30

Sweet find.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
The video I teased before finally got released. Nothing groundbreaking for this thread about the import process, I just touched on high level stuff. Had to plug JCD, because explaining how I learned this from a dead Internet forum would have taken too long. Enjoy a goon detailing his car:

https://youtu.be/MSSj49JZNQc

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Just won another Delica a few minutes ago.

1996, manual, diesel, 37k actual miles

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Dave, your caption in Instagram is so true. I was checking prices on HiAces around March, and now they are basically out of my price range unless I want to sacrifice features or miles. I’m at the point now where I barely look, and just keep saving my money.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

savesthedayrocks posted:

Dave, your caption in Instagram is so true. I was checking prices on HiAces around March, and now they are basically out of my price range unless I want to sacrifice features or miles. I’m at the point now where I barely look, and just keep saving my money.

Just have to hope I’m making the right decisions…worked out so far but spending more and more per vehicle

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I don’t see anyone going after these, at least not on IG and such but I have wanted the right one for a long time.

Picked up this grade 4 96 Toyota Town Ace last night. Yes it is an auto, that is what I wanted. The manuals in these are all column shift (which I have had and like, but harder to sell). 22k miles, AC, looks like a grandpa owned truck here in the states. Got it for a good deal too - will see what the market is for it here when it arrives in a few months.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

everdave posted:

I don’t see anyone going after these, at least not on IG and such but I have wanted the right one for a long time.

Picked up this grade 4 96 Toyota Town Ace last night. Yes it is an auto, that is what I wanted. The manuals in these are all column shift (which I have had and like, but harder to sell). 22k miles, AC, looks like a grandpa owned truck here in the states. Got it for a good deal too - will see what the market is for it here when it arrives in a few months.

I haven't been following, are you a dealer like kaker now too?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Not a dualie? booooooo

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

meatpimp posted:

Not a dualie? booooooo

I get so many dualie mazda bongos and their win brother the Nissan Vanette and unless someone see ma it in person they don’t sell for much.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Suburban Dad posted:

Speaking of, is the OP still reasonably accurate as far as dealerships and the import process goes? It's been a few years.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Suburban Dad posted:

Man I can't even begin to imagine the wasted money, time and effort if I weren't a dealer and trying to do this. The savings on insurance alone, plus the liability and separation of the person from the business as a dealer, it's required to even go down this hole of reselling cars. And that's even before you get to how hard state departments come down on curbstoning. :discourse:

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Speaking of, is the OP still reasonably accurate as far as dealerships and the import process goes? It's been a few years.

Yeah it's still pretty accurate. Is there something specific you're wondering about? Still buying, selling and importing. I updated the OP last year. Speaking of imports why not check out this little number:

1989 Toyota ToyoAce G15, a 1.5 'true' ton cabover truck with a listed capacity of 1500kg. 10,000~ miles, 3Y gasoline engine, 5 speed manual, dually, AC, blue, decent dealer option list installed and exceptionally clean. The bed is 10 feet 2 inches long and 5 feet 4 inches wide with the sides up. Sides can be removed like normal but they must be unbolted this time as there are no pins to pop out. Bed itself is made from a substantial amount of wood with steel bracing and supports running across. Two-part thick rubber mat looks to have been there from the start as the wood in the bed has no blemishes. Few extra lights installed, a killer exterior sunvisor, and excellent chrome wheel covers. Unlike the white one we had this one is larger, nicer, and way the hell cooler. Zero fading so we must conclude this was stored inside as there is no chance that wood in the bed would have survived since 1989 in such shape. There is simply no wear inside, but with the mileage this isn't terribly surprising. It rides like poo poo, as you can imagine, but is actually pretty peppy considering. It weighs very little especially taking into account it's listed weight capacity. Two problems with it is the exhaust is blown the gently caress out so that needs to be replaced, and that tiny tiny battery is very close to death and needs to be replaced. Going to have a fun time trying to find that size, could replace it with a normal battery but then I'd have to fab up a new carrier.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Kaker you remove that dragon sticker at your peril; it's a traffic safety charm!

savesthedayrocks posted:

I was checking prices on HiAces around March, and now they are basically out of my price range unless I want to sacrifice features or miles. I’m at the point now where I barely look, and just keep saving my money.

This is me but with houses. The median home in my city made more money than I did (before taxes!) last year :negative:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

INAGAKI DA VIDA HONEY

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

KakerMix posted:

Going to have a fun time trying to find that size, could replace it with a normal battery but then I'd have to fab up a new carrier.

Should be able to find something off the shelf, might not be Costco this time but I can't imagine it being that far from a standard size. If you aren't able to find something post the dimensions.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That ToyoAce is amazing. Do want, but probably can’t afford. Still probably cheaper than a typical American pickup, I’d bet.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Should be able to find something off the shelf, might not be Costco this time but I can't imagine it being that far from a standard size. If you aren't able to find something post the dimensions.

Autozone had the exact fit even with the posts on the correct sides, had to replace the clamps is all. A++

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Dirty and right off the boat, this is a 1996 Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X (third gen 4Runner). It's got under 40k miles, it's got the 3 liter KZ turbo diesel engine, it's 4WD, it's got three pedals and a couple of waggle sticks, it has rainbow-esque mats with an almost pastel fabric pattern, it has cool bullbar action, rad rear spare tire holder with inspirational message, ~All season carrier~ on top. Untouched, completely stock, flawlessly clean, even has the 'SURF' cargo tray in the back. Previous single owner was a non-smoker. I don't know that there is currently a more perfect blend of 'best car' available. This is certainly the absolute best vehicle we've ever imported. The difference between this third gen Surf and the second gen one we have his pretty big as well, even though they have the same engine and even really similar mileage. This one is quicker, quieter, tighter, just nicer.
It's going to clean up so well you guys.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Floor mats alone were worth it.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Another awesome slogan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)