Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Anyone ever get this chop cheese? Only in new York baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

191st off the 1 train is cool

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

191st off the 1 train is cool

There used to be a running battle between "free palestine" tags and the local yeshiva scrawling over them with some stupid poo poo.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

ughhhh posted:

There used to be a running battle between "free palestine" tags and the local yeshiva scrawling over them with some stupid poo poo.

Who won?

Madd0g11
Jun 14, 2002
Bitter Vet
Lipstick Apathy
Prince St since I spent my youth working around there.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Making me feel slightly guilty that the only time I think about a subway station as having any sort of characteristics is when I find transferring there annoying (e.g. Broadway Junction).

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Dunno, the city did a renovation and cleanup with new graffiti. But guessing how things work in NYC, whoever was writing free Palestine got arrested for antisemitism probably.

That area is weird, Laura Whitehorn, Dr. Ruth and other really well known radicals/intellectual live around there.

ughhhh has issued a correction as of 02:52 on May 27, 2021

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

Tulip posted:

Making me feel slightly guilty that the only time I think about a subway station as having any sort of characteristics is when I find transferring there annoying (e.g. Broadway Junction).

What you don't like a four story walkup as a part of your travels?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
About loving time:

https://twitter.com/NewYorkStateAG/status/1397952225935335430

A long overdue response to what's reported here. Tl;dr: Rensselaer County is controlled by Republicans and Troy has a lot of POC, many of whom vote Democrat, so of course they make sure to put the early voting site, mandated by the state, as far from the city center as possible.

Before the state mandated a site in the largest municipality in a county, they made sure to put the two early voting sites on opposite sides of the county from Troy.

Absurd Alhazred has issued a correction as of 03:27 on Jun 8, 2021

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

apparently the morales campaign just laid off a bunch of union organizers and in response organizers are calling for work stoppages from volunteers.

https://twitter.com/mayoralesunion/status/1398037672019496966?s=20

idk seems like a bad move to take 3 weeks before election day when youre trying to be the lefty candidate!!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

In Training posted:

apparently the morales campaign just laid off a bunch of union organizers and in response organizers are calling for work stoppages from volunteers.

https://twitter.com/mayoralesunion/status/1398037672019496966?s=20

idk seems like a bad move to take 3 weeks before election day when youre trying to be the lefty candidate!!

lmfao

it’s rake stepping the whole way down

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
We're going to get Yang because literally everyone else imploded aren't we

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

haveblue posted:

We're going to get Yang because literally everyone else imploded aren't we

we're going to get sliwa because everyone else imploded lol.

Griz
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1398030500846051330

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

in the process of this i also learned that morales is a landlord and charter school stooge. good poo poo. shoulda never trusted a dem.

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

I thought ranked choice voting would make the typical 'lesser of two evils' 'hold your nose' voting experience more palatable, but jesus I genuinely don't want to put any of these disgusting losers on my ballot, much less five of them.

Moltke
May 13, 2009
Is Maya Wiley bad also? I was torn between Wiley and Morales, and was more impressed by Wiley's debate performance. The union news for Morales ain't great.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Wiley's pretty okay and I think she's just bumped up to #1 for me after this. A few dumb little errors early on (parking placards, stuff like that) but I can't remember anything substantially bad.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

My five are:
1) Curtis Sliwa
2) Pizza Rat
3) Garcia until Tuesday, when footage comes out of her feeding a baby to a pit of factory farmed hogs
4) Chirlane McCray
5) The Twin Towers

...I'm sad y'all

(Ed real talk Wiley and Garcia still seem fine. I guess the Obama skeleton guy?)

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

betaraywil posted:

My five are:
1) Curtis Sliwa
2) Pizza Rat
3) Garcia until Tuesday, when footage comes out of her feeding a baby to a pit of factory farmed hogs
4) Chirlane McCray
5) The Twin Towers

...I'm sad y'all

(Ed real talk Wiley and Garcia still seem fine. I guess the Obama skeleton guy?)

Paper Boy Prince lookin real good about now.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Shaun Donovan's campaign being propped up by his rich dad puts such a huge dweeb loser stink on him that I can't bring myself to rank him.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Yeah they rule, probably my 1 at this point.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

99 CENTS AMIGO posted:

Shaun Donovan's campaign being propped up by his rich dad puts such a huge dweeb loser stink on him that I can't bring myself to rank him.

Also he was Obama's HUD secretary and had no idea what an actual home costs in the city (because again rich trust fund kid) and then after showing his rear end in the NYT kept emailing reporters like "Well AKSHULLY guys I meant average tax assessment I didn't understand the question that doesn't count ok."

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Also random question: For RCV does the 50%+1 line include ballots where all the ranked choices have been eliminated?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

mrmcd posted:

Also random question: For RCV does the 50%+1 line include ballots where all the ranked choices have been eliminated?

A ballot which has no names remaining drops out and no longer affects the tallies. It's 50%+1 of all the ballots involved in that round of vote counting, so it's ballots that had that candidate's name as one of the 5.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

haveblue posted:

A ballot which has no names remaining drops out and no longer affects the tallies. It's 50%+1 of all the ballots involved in that round of vote counting, so it's ballots that had that candidate's name as one of the 5.

Ok that's good to know because I guess it argues for not putting joke "gently caress it" candidates in 4 or 5 versus "this person seems to kinda suck but is still acceptable over some alternatives" because your ballot would be alive and raise the bar that terrible poo poo candidates like Adams or Yang would need to clear.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

https://twitter.com/ZachandMattShow/status/1398080880921489410

What a goddamn clownshow.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

more like The Matt Skidmark Show amirite

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Moltke posted:

Is Maya Wiley bad also? I was torn between Wiley and Morales, and was more impressed by Wiley's debate performance. The union news for Morales ain't great.

She is now! Lol that didn't take long

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ha and I just tweeted to support Wiley

That shows me

I shouldnt use twitter at all

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

mrmcd posted:

Ok that's good to know because I guess it argues for not putting joke "gently caress it" candidates in 4 or 5 versus "this person seems to kinda suck but is still acceptable over some alternatives" because your ballot would be alive and raise the bar that terrible poo poo candidates like Adams or Yang would need to clear.

Kind of, but if you put a marginal candidate 4 or 5, aren't they just going to get knocked out before your 1-3?

The organizers I was talking to (before Morales imploded) were saying Yang for 5 because stupid bloomberg without the money is better than competent, connected bootlicker Adams. Which made me very sad, but I'm having a hard time arguing with it.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Moltke posted:

She's also a landlord iirc

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

DisgracelandUSA posted:

QUEER FRASIER
May 31, 2011

betaraywil posted:

Kind of, but if you put a marginal candidate 4 or 5, aren't they just going to get knocked out before your 1-3?

The organizers I was talking to (before Morales imploded) were saying Yang for 5 because stupid bloomberg without the money is better than competent, connected bootlicker Adams. Which made me very sad, but I'm having a hard time arguing with it.
there's definitely the 'trump vs a competent republican' type dynamic to think about, and I've heard a lot of people say the local machines will basically just steamroll Mayor Yang which would be fine. But then there's also the 'devil you know versus devil you don't know" dynamic- I feel pretty confident that all of Adams' horrendous ideas are open knowledge for us, whereas if Yang gets the wrong person in his ear during some sort of a crisis there's really no limit to how awful he could be. everytime I think about which of them to rank 5 I go back and forth for awhile before giving up.

Shageletic posted:

Ha and I just tweeted to support Wiley

That shows me

I shouldnt use twitter at all
the candidates are imploding too quickly to keep up with, lol at everything

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

QUEER FRASIER posted:

I feel pretty confident that all of Adams' horrendous ideas are open knowledge for us, whereas if Yang gets the wrong person in his ear during some sort of a crisis there's really no limit to how awful he could be.

Yeah. Yeah... :smith:

What did Wiley do? All I'm finding is that she talked poo poo about Adams and some Murdochy hit pieces

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

betaraywil posted:

Yeah. Yeah... :smith:

What did Wiley do? All I'm finding is that she talked poo poo about Adams and some Murdochy hit pieces

Hair splitting and triangulation on whether a $1 billion budget cut is "defunding the police" or not. But also maybe getting squishy on police reform.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

I mean if you think "defunding the police" means abolishing the police then yes her stated platform of ~10% budget cut for NYPD isn't "defunding the police". Trying to triangulate like that does have the stink surrender to it though.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind

Oh okay. It's the sort of thing that made me want to vote for Morales over her. I thought she like threw a salad comb at a rescue dog or something.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Wiley still seems the best bet unless as it seems inevitable a previous murder pops up.

But yeah this instability is making ppl confused. Even my well meaning lib and leftie friends on FB dont know who to vote for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

betaraywil posted:

Oh okay. It's the sort of thing that made me want to vote for Morales over her. I thought she like threw a salad comb at a rescue dog or something.

https://gothamist.com/news/dissent-threatens-implode-dianne-moraless-mayoral-campaign

quote:

That same afternoon, the organizers announced a work stoppage after the four women leading the unionization efforts were fired over email just prior to a staff meeting. Asked about the firings, Morales said she did not know who was leading the unionization efforts. “Those decisions were made independent of anything else,” she said.

quote:

Morales did not comment directly on the question of whether her staff was underpaid. “I was not directly overseeing salaries or the staff pattern. But when things were brought to my attention, I responded to them immediately.”

She also said she did not think the campaign could afford to provide health benefits, “You know, we got our matching funds a month ago. So that wasn’t something that we could afford to do, “ she said.

The CITY reported that the campaigns of mayoral candidates Maya Wiley, Shaun Donovan, Ray McGuire, Kathryn Garcia and Eric Adams all provide health benefits. Garcia and Donovan received matching funds at the same time as the Morales campaign. (Wiley and Adams received them earlier; McGuire is not getting public funds).

So this basically tells me 1) Morales' campaign is totally broke and 2) She is probably absolutely terrible at running any organization of more than like 15 people. It seems the lovely people in question did eventually get fired but after like 3 days of just absolute chaos on her campaign and all the most senior people leaving. The rest of the article is just her pitching excuses like "well I didn't know but once I knew I decided to do something" and "well we've had a lot of people join recently".

"Guys being charge of a campaign with like 80 random people you've never met is really hard okay? Please make me mayor."