Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

TV Zombie posted:

The only reason NJPW would do this is for money and to maybe make NJPW more visible to US viewers?

Would this actually happen though? Considering that most of the audience that is left appears to be the WWE diehards that are mostly adamantly against anything that isn't WWE they either wouldn't watch it (or would watch it once and say it's not the big leagues) I can't see NJPW getting too much of a boost in viewership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Suddenly all of the Japanese wrestlers, who just do moves and have no in ring psychology, will be good.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

There's too many Khans and Pauls

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
every New Japan/WWE show will be main evented by footage of one of the Omega/Okada matches with all commentary replaced with Vince McMahon cackling

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TV Zombie posted:

The only reason NJPW would do this is for money and to maybe make NJPW more visible to US viewers?

And to be able to book people like Shinsuke Nakamura, Ricochet, Gran Metalik, Finn Balor, AJ Styles, reDragon, War Machine, & a whole bunch of dudes who've never been in New Japan before but could do rad things like Tozawa, Zayn, McIntyre, Mustafa Ali, Keith Lee, Cesaro, Apollo Crews, Big E, Aleister Black, Walter. And of course BushiRoad also have Stardom ownership.

Let's not forget that if not for a partnership with WCW in the '90s New Japan doesn't have it's biggest ever merchandising success (nWo Japan shirts).

New Japan wouldn't go into this if they didn't think they were getting a good deal out of it. They could be wrong, it could be a disaster, but they are clearly considering it for more reasons than money.

Probably doesn't happen anyway but it's a fun story.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

forkboy84 posted:

And to be able to book people like Shinsuke Nakamura, Ricochet, Gran Metalik, Finn Balor, AJ Styles, reDragon, War Machine, & a whole bunch of dudes who've never been in New Japan before but could do rad things like Tozawa, Zayn, McIntyre, Mustafa Ali, Keith Lee, Cesaro, Apollo Crews, Big E, Aleister Black, Walter. And of course BushiRoad also have Stardom ownership.

Let's not forget that if not for a partnership with WCW in the '90s New Japan doesn't have it's biggest ever merchandising success (nWo Japan shirts).

New Japan wouldn't go into this if they didn't think they were getting a good deal out of it. They could be wrong, it could be a disaster, but they are clearly considering it for more reasons than money.

Probably doesn't happen anyway but it's a fun story.

I’d rather see WWE partner with DDT

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

New Japan sends over Okada and Naito to so they can job to Titus O'Neil on Main Event, WWE calls Gillburg out of retirement to have him go over to New Japan, because no one else can be "spared".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

forkboy84 posted:

I think the only people on that list New Japan would care about are Nakamura, AJ and Finn as they're already big name draws in Japan. Apart from that yeah they can get some decent gaijin to fill spots in their tournaments but they can get that from AEW too. They're not going to be taking WWE talent for long-term pushes and WWE's not going to give them the kind of things they typically look for in foreign partners. Like, they're not going to send Uemura on excursion to the PC so he can come back with his knees destroyed

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

"Okay Okada how do you feel about when another man comes in and takes your woman? Never mind here's the script your lines are on page 2 4 and 5 we're live in 30."

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

what are oka and shin doing? they're really taking some big shits! raw rolls on! [returning from commercial break, jerry lawler is standing in the ring and begins goading the unenthused audience to take big shits]

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
Mace appears at Vince's bedside every morning begging to be sent on excursion like he's Bart Simpson trying to go to Mount Splashmore

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Cavauro posted:

what are oka and shin doing?

Already cringing at Cole calling him Kaz

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Cavauro posted:

what are oka and shin doing? they're really taking some big shits! raw rolls on! [returning from commercial break, jerry lawler is standing in the ring and begins goading the unenthused audience to take big shits]

:eyepoop:

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem
G1 Winner Baron Corbin

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

trying to formalize the NJPW to WWE feeder is interesting but historically WWE just fucks their partners until a buyout is viable. I can see Bushiroad's team considering the offer, despite objections from the NJPW office proper.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

This seems like it would be a huge strategic blunder on NJPW's part. WWE fans aren't going to watch New Japan and AEW would likely expand their relationship with the CyberFight promotions, and while a lot of AEW's fanbase was probably already familiar with NJPW, I don't think you could say the same about CyberFight.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I don't see NJPW going for it. Their sister promotion Stardom was in talks for a WWE buyout before they went with Bushiroad. WWE came in with this expectation that Stardom would sign anything no questions asked. So WWE's negotiator wasn't prepared for basic buyout questions like "how long will I keep my job" or payment schedules.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

I don’t necessarily see NJPW going for it either, but I have a hunch that Nick Kahn is a much more shrewd negotiator than those who chatted with Stardom, given his history as a Hollywood agent.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
NJPW agreeing to work with the WWE, which I admit feels pretty unlikely, would damage its reputation in a pretty significant way to me.

The WWE is a poison pill to me, and while there's way more people than me who may feel differently, I just don't know why NJPW would risk embarrassing themselves and their roster by trusting the WWE to not be lovely to them. It would be insane, or desperate, probably both.

Edit: Naito vs Slapjack, who says no

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

there's no way NJPW will go exclusive WWE. Even if the money is combined better than the tribute they get from all the companies currently using their dudes. NJPW clearly enjoys its partners and goes to great lengths not to exacerbate any existing political squabbles.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

or desperate

A lot of what they've done since January 4 2020 has sounded this way

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
NJPW really opens up way more LORE OF THE FIEND/ALEXA so bring it on!

And Moxley is going to job the title to Corbin by messing up his wacky clothesline

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bring back JBL to commentary just so he can call the New Japan stars “kid” and say “welcome to the big leagues”

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shinjobi posted:

NJPW agreeing to work with the WWE, which I admit feels pretty unlikely, would damage its reputation in a pretty significant way to me.

You don't want to see HHH going over Okada in the main event of Wrestle Kingdom?!

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
This is entirely a scheme to try to keep Daniel Bryan, right? Like, re-sign with us and you can gently caress off to New Japan as much as you want, just don’t go anywhere else please!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

they also want njpw to be the japanese nxt replacement. pulling people from there more easily and gaining a little popularity in the country. low control but don't have to pay or promote the shows

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

If the report is that these talks were happening in March/April, and Romero, Nagata and Narita all worked AEW in the last two weeks, why is anyone acting like the talks went anywhere?

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

If the report is that these talks were happening in March/April, and Romero, Nagata and Narita all worked AEW in the last two weeks, why is anyone acting like the talks went anywhere?

Could be a calculated move.

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Lead Pipe Cinch posted:

Could be early stages, but having multiple suitors is good for anyone negotiating.

There are also rumblings of discord within NJPW, could be wrestlers getting antsy at the prospect of working for the big E. Not Big E though, he’d be a fine boss.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m sure WWE is perpetually in talks with promotions since they can’t make a successful feeder promotion to save their lives.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Well it's going so well for Kushida and Nakamura. I can imagine Okada is chomping at the bit to uppercut...idk Drew McIntyre for 6 months. Maybe Jay can be the cruiserweight champion on 205 live.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

its 2023 and the NJPW/WWE deal finally falls apart because of WWE's insistence that the Money Clip is not a real finisher.

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
"WWE is going to partner with NJPW"

"Nope, no way, I would NEVER watch tha-"

"Cena vs Tanahashi"

"...Go on"

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Alexander Hamilton posted:

"WWE is going to partner with NJPW"

"Nope, no way, I would NEVER watch tha-"

"Cena vs Tanahashi"

"...Go on"

not in a WWE ring under WWE creative direction. I want to see the match happen, not McMahonism in action.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

coconono posted:

not in a WWE ring under WWE creative direction. I want to see the match happen, not McMahonism in action.

Indeed. gently caress a McMahon.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

coconono posted:

:hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/charliable/status/1398317211345993737?s=19

ARMBAR A COP fucked around with this message at 18:01 on May 28, 2021

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

You know Vince will want to make the match a series deal and the only way the agent can placate everyone is if every match ends in a bullshit finish.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

SonicRulez posted:

Well it's going so well for Kushida and Nakamura. I can imagine Okada is chomping at the bit to uppercut...idk Drew McIntyre for 6 months. Maybe Jay can be the cruiserweight champion on 205 live.

Lol that it took us this long to remember KUSHIDA's there too

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
The ethering of McIntyre's run with a bullshit finish and the destruction of the Hurt Business basically killed WWE for me. That last glimmer of hope was wiped away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Rarity posted:

Lol that it took us this long to remember KUSHIDA's there too

every promo pic I've seen of KUSHIDA is him looking absolutely miserable. I'm sure he'd rather be anywhere else.