Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I'm doing one of these races tomorrow and this story has scared the poo poo out of my gran. I've told her the North downs usually have much calmer conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Camrath posted:

Rejoice, for next year there will be a Fudge man in a Fudge van. Though my patch is about 180 miles NW of your turf.

If you're not selling it by standing in the middle of a housing estate in a stained white coat bellowing "FUDGE!" - or rather "UUUUUUUAAAAAAJ" - i'm not interested.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I don’t entirely get what that thread is getting at, and I’m immediately turned off by the ridiculously sweeping generalisation of childhood not being a happy or healthy experience in the global north.

E: ‘mum did he just shout ‘goon special’?’

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I quite liked being a child not gonna lie.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Can't believe the thread title still isn't "who do we not save"

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Necrothatcher posted:

I'm doing one of these races tomorrow and this story has scared the poo poo out of my gran. I've told her the North downs usually have much calmer conditions.

Good luck! And don't forget the survival kit in a tobacco tin (or mints tin).

https://www.instructables.com/Survival-Kit-in-a-tin-better-than-other-ones-ive/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jakabite posted:

I don’t entirely get what that thread is getting at, and I’m immediately turned off by the ridiculously sweeping generalisation of childhood not being a happy or healthy experience in the global north.

Well I was rather glad to find that we weren't the only family who had roadkill for tea. Dad used to drive round the country lanes (farming area) in his old banger knocking over stray ducks, chickens and rabbits. (Not that any of us would eat the wretched things when served up.)

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2021/may/27/accidental-meat-should-carnivores-embrace-eating-roadkill

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

The stuff that is bad about being a child makes up an increasing larger part of childhood. And the good parts are being slowly removed. I.e you can now be bullied 24/7 thanks to the internet. But you also get the joys of being subjected to exams every year instead of dossing about firguring yourself out.

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 16:24 on May 28, 2021

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1398285897498599432?s=19

silly Boris, do better next time, but it's totally understandable why you wouldn't be curious about who's paying the massive bill for the work you ordered done

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I suppose it's probably bad to be a kid in hosed up places like the US where you have to be like 21 to do anything.

Fond memories of turning 16 and it being 'whelp you're an adult now, guess you'd better get a loving job'.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I can't say I enjoyed much of being a child

though to be fair, I haven't enjoyed much of being an adult so far either

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I did undergrad at a uni with a very high proportion of students from North America and I still laugh remembering their amazement at being able to legally go the pub and buy booze at 18. I laugh even harder remembering how utterly ill-equipped they were for this privilege combined with British drinking culture, but by god they got there in the end!

Jakabite posted:

What I took from it was basically 'it's incredibly toxic when parents insist on claiming a right to micromanaging every aspect of their kid's lives, down to who they're friends with etc etc, rather than treating them as individual humans with their own agency'.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 28, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk/i-want-to-volunteer/volunteer-roles/steward-volunteer/locations?dm_i=6DPZ,8AOB,QZVQI,Z29G,1

Anyone who fancies dressing up in high viz and pretending to be frontline medical staff, RVS have reopened stewarding enrolment in certain areas of the country.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Good luck! And don't forget the survival kit in a tobacco tin (or mints tin).

https://www.instructables.com/Survival-Kit-in-a-tin-better-than-other-ones-ive/

Is it *really* a survival tin if it's not packaged in a cigar tube and carried in the prison pocket?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I did undergrad at a uni with a very high proportion of students from North America and I still laugh remembering their amazement at being able to legally go the pub and buy booze at 18. I laugh even harder remembering how utterly ill-equipped they were for this privilege combined with British drinking culture, but by god they got there in the end!
What I took from it was basically 'it's incredibly toxic when parents insist on claiming a right to micromanaging every aspect of their kid's lives, down to who they're friends with etc etc, rather than treating them as individual humans with their own agency'.

Yes that makes sense. In general kids should have plenty of agency I think.

Also that’s the same survival tin I have! I once used the saw on a log to make smaller bits of wood for a fire. I was fabulously stoned and fell over once trying to hold it down with my foot then burned myself on the very very hot saw after. Worked though.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

If you're not selling it by standing in the middle of a housing estate in a stained white coat bellowing "FUDGE!" - or rather "UUUUUUUAAAAAAJ" - i'm not interested.

Yeah camrath definitely has to develop a call

AyAaaaaaaaaaaaj!

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It's bizarre how we as a society have completely forgotten that there were actual fleets of zero-emission vehicles making daily deliveries to almost every urban and suburban address in the country for like 50 years. You're telling me that we *couldn't* have them also delivering groceries and all of our parcels at the same time now?

I think I've discussed this in the UKMT before and Jaeluni mentioned having seen the same thing too. Prior to Covid, when Extinction Rebellion were a bigger deal and bringing traffic to a grinding halt in major cities for a few weekends, a long read image rant was being shared on Facebook. The image was a rant directed at today's youth (which given the way it was written, could be anybody under 30). It was a lengthy "In my day!" screed of electric milk floats, placing empty glass milk bottles on your doorstep for collection the following morning, paper bags for groceries, bottle banks outside supermarkets, learning to repair clothes rather than today's culture of disposable cheap clothing etc. All this and more, followed by a stern "You've all got plastic stuff now so stop telling ME I'm destroying the planet and should go green!"

It baffled me every single time I saw it shared because it comes so close to acknowledging that doing your part to reduce carbon footprint is achievable and in some ways could meet the "I want things the way they were" crowd's wishes, and completely misses the point.

I discussed this with somebody I know who had also shared it. When I pointed out that a) A lot of the things listed in that screed were still around until I was about 12 (I'm mid 30's) and b) was this person seriously trying to suggest that the executives in the various board rooms responsible for making the switch to disposable plastics, shitcanning milk float services, and the introduction of the Primark era of 3 t-shirts for a tenner, were those board rooms filled with 8-12 year old executives making those decisions? No. 'My' generation are effectively saying "That stuff's cool, we'd like that back please" and is that such a bad thing? I didn't get much of a response, just a quite pondering and "oh..." but that was a much better result than I was bracing for (shouting while wildly waving arms around).

Its not completely forgotten, people seem to conveniently remember it in not such nuanced way when groups like Extinction Rebellion are partying in Trafalgar Square for a fortnight.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

what happened to <x> men?

They're sort of still around in some places but not "pitch up in an area for half hour then move" anymore. Folkestone has a market that springs up at the bottom end of the high street every weekend. There's a butcher's van that parks outside the town hall with a a man in a hat bellowing "CHOOOOOOOPS, GEEET YER PORK CHOPS!" but he's often drowned out by the much louder and gobbier flower men. There's a static fish stall in the harbour if you need a jellied eel fix too.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Does anyone who grew up in Glasgow remember a guy who would go about yelling "Whelks, Mussels, Candy Apples!" selling them from a carrier bag?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

It was a lengthy "In my day!" screed of electric milk floats, placing empty glass milk bottles on your doorstep for collection the following morning, paper bags for groceries, bottle banks outside supermarkets, learning to repair clothes rather than today's culture of disposable cheap clothing etc. All this and more, followed by a stern "You've all got plastic stuff now so stop telling ME I'm destroying the planet and should go green!"
Yes, because we were the ones who fetishised plastic in the 70s and set up various systems that rely on an inexhaustable supply of petrochemicals.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Jakabite posted:

Yes that makes sense. In general kids should have plenty of agency I think.

With kids, you do give them agency. But I part it has to be earned. Not out of some desire to control their lives.
But because they literally don't know better and are relying on you to teach them how the world works.

And that's not their fault, they don't emerge fully formed or have all information downloaded into their minds. They need to have things taught to them, and as a parent you need to do a fine balancing act between not letting them become dependent on you/giving instruction/not smothering their sense of self and dozens of other areas.
With kids it is trust, but verify.

What I was getting at earlier is less "most parents are doing a bad job raising their kids" and more that more people are having plants and pets instead to fill voids in their lives.
Between a news story I read this week about people spending huge money on plants*, to the numbers of families who bought dogs during Lockdown (and often at mad puppy farm prices**.)

* = https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-lockdown-prompts-spending-on-gardening-to-hit-record-high-1.4504734

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/covid-lockdowns-turned-buying-plants-next-big-pandemic-trend-good-ncna1256223

** = https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/dog-days-the-pandemic-pooch-boom-takes-its-toll-1.4551242

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sunday-life/news/fears-northern-ireland-being-exploited-by-english-puppy-farms-40289594.html

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Yes, because we were the ones who fetishised plastic in the 70s and set up various systems that rely on an inexhaustable supply of petrochemicals.

In which a strange machine crash lands on to the Clangers' planet and they fix it up and it starts making plastic gizmos. Soup Dragon finds a key that automates the process and it can't be turned off:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3XLM6fgqJGc

Series dates from 1969. Prescient.

Where's our magic tophat?

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Not sure if you're inferring I suggest the responsibility for that relies on every person over [insert threshold of age here]. I'm not. Much in the same way that in the discussion I had with another in the following paragraphs, it shouldn't be suggested that "Well all the plastics came along when you youngin's did!" :argh:. What I was trying to point out is that I find it very peculiar to rant "We had that stuff!" acknowledge it was a good thing, then not realise the current movement in support of reducing our carbon footprint is to literally go back to doing [good thing] and yet the ones sharing this long screed image refuse to do it when asked... while also posting "Back in my day things were great its all poo poo now!" elsewhere. :psyduck:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I remember I quite enjoyed being a child until I hit 13 or so and went to "high school" (grades 7-9 here) and from thereon it was downhill.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

My dad did energy efficiency stuff at a big commercial dairy for years, the reason they switched from reusable glass milk bottles to plastic ones is because it actually consumes more energy to sterilise the bottles than it does to just make new ones. You can actually kind of rely on capitalists to make the more energy efficient choice when energy is one of their biggest expenses.

It kind of falls down though when you can just take all your energy savings and sell the carbon credits to some massive polluter though.

Incidentally, the reason we don't sell milk in bags that consumers put into a reusable jug like some countries do is because no fucker buys them. They trialled that for a few years, the Waitrose crowd bought a few but it just wasn't economical to keep the machines running.

I also learned that apart from production areas, the fridges in the canteen - y'know those open ones without doors that shops keep the sandwiches in - used more energy than the entire rest of the site put together. The site was loving massive, with most stuff left on 24 hours. There's loads of easy regulatory hacks that could bring emissions right down (ban those fridges, legislate that people have to use the milk bags, & that's just 2 things I happen to know from 1 industry, there must be loads). Just no political will to do them.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was suicidal for as much of my childhood as I can remember and I'm not sure if it ever got better or whether I just got more used to it.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Borrovan posted:

My dad did energy efficiency stuff at a big commercial dairy for years, the reason they switched from reusable glass milk bottles to plastic ones is because it actually consumes more energy to sterilise the bottles than it does to just make new ones. You can actually kind of rely on capitalists to make the more energy efficient choice when energy is one of their biggest expenses.

It kind of falls down though when you can just take all your energy savings and sell the carbon credits to some massive polluter though.

Incidentally, the reason we don't sell milk in bags that consumers put into a reusable jug like some countries do is because no fucker buys them. They trialled that for a few years, the Waitrose crowd bought a few but it just wasn't economical to keep the machines running.

I also learned that apart from production areas, the fridges in the canteen - y'know those open ones without doors that shops keep the sandwiches in - used more energy than the entire rest of the site put together. The site was loving massive, with most stuff left on 24 hours. There's loads of easy regulatory hacks that could bring emissions right down (ban those fridges, legislate that people have to use the milk bags, & that's just 2 things I happen to know from 1 industry, there must be loads). Just no political will to do them.

My nan used to get milk in bags back in the late 60s early 70s (South Wales). I remember she had a special blue jug also provided by the dairy to put them in. I also remember a lot of wasted milk as it splashed everywhere.
We also had coffee bags back in the 70s so that stupid advert saying 'why hasn't anyone thought of it before' is a LIE I tell you.
(We also got a 1/3rd pint of milk in titchy little bottles at school too until the Milk Snatcher came in).

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Borrovan posted:

Insightful post

Well that's certainly interesting. I'd not thought of those aspects and now fear I know what the rest of my Friday night internet browsing will be (once I finish this best man's speech I'm trying to avoid).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A lot of single use plastics are quite efficient if you ignore the externalities and have a lot of inertia behind them, so yeah if you want to go sustainable you have to legislate.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The ideal solution, of course, is milk plumbing. I will not be taking further questions at this time.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The ideal solution, of course, is milk plumbing. I will not be taking further questions at this time.

Have you been spying on my partner and I????

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

OwlFancier posted:

I demand that this post be placed on trial in the Hague.

Disgusted of Cheshire.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My nan used to get milk in bags back in the late 60s early 70s (South Wales). I remember she had a special blue jug also provided by the dairy to put them in. I also remember a lot of wasted milk as it splashed everywhere.
We also had coffee bags back in the 70s so that stupid advert saying 'why hasn't anyone thought of it before' is a LIE I tell you.
(We also got a 1/3rd pint of milk in titchy little bottles at school too until the Milk Snatcher came in).

I really want small bottles like that! I only use milk for tea, sparingly, so large bottles go off if not used for other things (like rice pudding). I'd love small bottles.

That reminds, me, I need to bake bread for my son. (It has milk in it).

He as diabetes and is coeliac, so his food intake is tightly controlled. As a result we try to give him as much agency in other areas as possible.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Just for clarity, as an academic I don't want to go on record as saying that regulatory law is a satisfactory way of achieving environmental justice. You can regulate consumer behaviour, but regulatory law is a poo poo way of policing businesses, because it invariably results in the regulators needing to play nice with the businesses in order for the businesses to co-operate enough for them to be able to do anything, and also lol meaningful sanctions for business aren't real, they'll just either pay the fines out of the big bucket of cash they made breaking the law, or the individuals concerned get a big bonus for making a bunch of money & then retire before anyone notices it was illegal. I've posted about it before but the most effective way of policing businesses for environmental stuff seems to actually be private enforcement via NIMBYs, which is also poo poo for obvious reasons. I used to enjoy environmental law, but I couldn't study it for a living because there are no solutions, only problems.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I spotted a Qanon cultist in the wild today. An idiot overtook me on a blind corner while I was driving home from work this afternoon. I spotted a large Q and WWG1WGA decal on the back of his car as he sped off, overtaking other cars wildly. Not something I expected to see in rural North Wales, considering 99% of the population probably have no idea what the decal means.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oscar Romeo Romeo posted:

Not sure if you're inferring I suggest the responsibility for that relies on every person over [insert threshold of age here]. I'm not.
No, I think the person who's post you were responding to is the kind to see things like 'young people use plastics' and assume that it's a choice young people made rather than one they had foisted on them, like the whole 'participation trophies poo poo.

Wasn't having a go at you, more at the person you were talking about.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

More efficient to have one plumbing tube per house, and use it for everything, from milk to jellied eels.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Shetland in the seventies, too. Strong memory of that visiting my grandparents (cos it was so strange), I always assumed it it was the easiest way to get milk on the boat up.

The jug was orange, though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

More efficient to have one plumbing tube per house, and use it for everything, from milk to jellied eels.

Well the milk plumbing is also the cheese plumbing if you don't use it for a while.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/BrokenHardie/status/1398200504887414784?s=20

Because of this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/kimleadbeater/status/1397919357024436229

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Dahir Insaat will be in touch.