Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

Are electric superchargers still snake oil?

The new Mercedes mild hybrids use an electric motor to pre-spool the turbo, so kinda not?

Thew next 6 cylinder C63 might have a more powerful version as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Turbos can consume hundreds of horsepower to operate. There are 746W per horsepower. Consider how powerful a motor is needed to do the same thing. You can use motors to spool the turbo as they aren't actually doing work, but anyone who claims to produce any significant amount of boost while an engine is making power is full of poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They do actually work. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7a_J2X88fSE

It still can't keep up the boost at the maximum RPM and would probably run out of juice on a track but it seems like a possible solution for smaller engines like the 1.3 on my fit to give it a boot when accelerating

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

um excuse me posted:

Turbos can consume hundreds of horsepower to operate. There are 746W per horsepower. Consider how powerful a motor is needed to do the same thing. You can use motors to spool the turbo as they aren't actually doing work, but anyone who claims to produce any significant amount of boost while an engine is making power is full of poo poo.

Did you mean supercharger? Turbos work on effectively waste energy from the motor, supercharger are parasitic engine power to turn them.

Darchangel posted:

Yep, that’s correct.
Now subsequent replicas have come up with ways to do it like it appears. The one I’ve had the pleasure to work on here in TX has an AC compressor with a clever pulley - one sheave is connected to the clutch, and one able to freewheel as normal. Engage the compressor clutch, and the blower drive is engaged. The compressor itself is empty. This particular replica does have working AC, though, and was upgraded to a five-speed after the original top-loader 4-speed grenaded itself on a road trip. It’s a neat car, set up as a Road Warrior version.

That actually how the Pursuit Special worked in reality minus one detail - the supercharger was always a fake (Mad Max II they claim it was operational) but the more iconic scenes it was a fake). The motor was however still very VERY healthy as the 351 it had was basically a hotted up Phase III / IV motor and genuinely near top level power for the day. I think most car people of the day would have suspended disbelief not at the clutched supercharger (because hey gently caress it, that poo poo looked cool and plausible!), but at the "600hp s-s-s-s-ucks nitro!". Nothing in Australia with a 351 made even close to that, with or without a supercharger OR nitro in 1979 and rev heads knew it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Did you mean supercharger? Turbos work on effectively waste energy from the motor, supercharger are parasitic engine power to turn them.

Compressing that volume of air requires power, regardless of whether that power is coming from exhaust gasses or an accessory belt. Electric turbochargers should probably be called electric superchargers, but they would need a lot of power to compress air at sufficient quantities to be meaningful for an internal combustion engine.

Edit: apparently they are called electric superchargers. I've only heard of them as electric turbochargers. Weird.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 28, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I don't remember the source, but I once heard that all turbochargers are superchargers but not all superchargers are turbochargers. Turbocharger as a term is a compound word from turbine supercharger. Since the presence of a turbine is needed to satisfy the turbo definition, anything electrically driven would have to be a supercharger.

That said I also have only heard them called electric turbos.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

That actually how the Pursuit Special worked in reality minus one detail - the supercharger was always a fake (Mad Max II they claim it was operational) but the more iconic scenes it was a fake). The motor was however still very VERY healthy as the 351 it had was basically a hotted up Phase III / IV motor and genuinely near top level power for the day. I think most car people of the day would have suspended disbelief not at the clutched supercharger (because hey gently caress it, that poo poo looked cool and plausible!), but at the "600hp s-s-s-s-ucks nitro!". Nothing in Australia with a 351 made even close to that, with or without a supercharger OR nitro in 1979 and rev heads knew it.

Most certainly not a 351, but they had this thing in the garage as well, who knows what parts were robbed from it (no idea what it was):

And I know there's one guy on instagram (evildodge) with a challenger hellcat who put the fake supercharger on top of the real one for the best of both worlds scenario, he's done some interesting bodywork on the front end to mimic the pursuit special. Not quite perfect, it's a bit stubbier than I would want, but not bad either:

By the way, how the hell do you nab an instagram picture url without linking the post? For the folks who don't want to join instagram.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 16:19 on May 28, 2021

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

As Nero Danced posted:

By the way, how the hell do you nab an instagram picture url without linking the post? For the folks who don't want to join instagram.

I'm sure there are some scrapers out there on desktop OR you view the page source and pluck it from there
Otherwise, officially? You don't. :)

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

um excuse me posted:

I don't remember the source, but I once heard that all turbochargers are superchargers but not all superchargers are turbochargers. Turbocharger as a term is a compound word from turbine supercharger. Since the presence of a turbine is needed to satisfy the turbo definition, anything electrically driven would have to be a supercharger.

That said I also have only heard them called electric turbos.

Turbos were indeed originally called turbine superchargers. You can find docs from WW2 that get super confusing because they talk about, eg, the Merlin being "supercharged."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I want my next car to be mega charged.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

As Nero Danced posted:

Most certainly not a 351, but they had this thing in the garage as well, who knows what parts were robbed from it (no idea what it was):

And I know there's one guy on instagram (evildodge) with a challenger hellcat who put the fake supercharger on top of the real one for the best of both worlds scenario, he's done some interesting bodywork on the front end to mimic the pursuit special. Not quite perfect, it's a bit stubbier than I would want, but not bad either:

That's not half-bad.

quote:

I use one of several websites that snag the pics and provide a download link. Same for other social media sites that like to try to prevent saving.
For example: https://insta-downloader.net

Some work better than others. Some only get the first picture if it's a multiple pic post, for example.

Suburban Dad posted:

I want my next car to be mega charged.

So very '80s.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Blue Footed Booby posted:

You can find docs from WW2 that get super confusing because they talk about, eg, the Merlin being "supercharged."

Why is it confusing to talk about the merlin being supercharged?

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

As Nero Danced posted:

this is real? the lighting makes it look like a render

are the zoomies functional?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Turbos were indeed originally called turbine superchargers. You can find docs from WW2 that get super confusing because they talk about, eg, the Merlin being "supercharged."

The Merlin was supercharged. The US Army Air Force terminology for turbos was generally “turbosupercharger,” which the Merlin was not. Only the USAAF used turbocharged engines to any significant degree, though pretty much everyone at least experimented with them. Examples include the P-38, P-47, B-17, B-24, B-29, et al.

Most of the confusion in terminology is due to many late war aircraft engines using not just multiple-speed superchargers (multiple gear ratios used to overdrive the blower as altitude increased,) but also multiple stages (ie: a low stage blower and a higher pressure high stage blower.) The latter is the equivalent of a compound supercharger setup in modern automotive parlance.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
U-U-U-U-ULTRA-CHARGED!

I think there was an episode of Roadkill where they filled the back of a Monza with leaf blowers and ran ductwork to the engine, to test out the "electric supercharger" theory. I think the leaf blowers were gas-powered, but it's the same theory.
I don't think the leaf blowers could generate enough boost for it to matter.

They did a followup towing a trailer with a V8 on it, whose only purpose was to spin a big centrifugal supercharger which was then piped aaall the way up to the front. I think this sort of worked but went awry because Roadkill.

Can't watch the video right now myself, but I think this is the second one:
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=794842040671056

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

boxen posted:

U-U-U-U-ULTRA-CHARGED!

I think there was an episode of Roadkill where they filled the back of a Monza with leaf blowers and ran ductwork to the engine, to test out the "electric supercharger" theory. I think the leaf blowers were gas-powered, but it's the same theory.
I don't think the leaf blowers could generate enough boost for it to matter.

Someone should setup a turbo to blow on the driver's face, see what that feels like.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Like your face melting off.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

boxen posted:

How is it the same theory? The problem with electric forced induction (I don't care if you want to call it super or turbo) is that you have to make the power used to spin it somehow, usually the alternator, which takes power form the motor.

So unless you are doing a hybrid thing, where you have significant battery storage it's bullshit. And even then, it's obviously never a thing that can be 100%. You need to store energy when you aren't using it, and dump that energy back into forced induction when you need it. Totally plausible, but not with a regular alternator and typical 12v starting battery.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mpaw58exSM

https://wildonemax.com/

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Raluek posted:

this is real? the lighting makes it look like a render

are the zoomies functional?

I think it is a rendering while he waits for paint, but it is real. He says the the exhaust pipes as functional too, I actually have a set of zoomie tailpipes similar to his but mine don't turn up- I need to find something to install these on, come to think of it. My Grand Marquis wasn't an idea candidate because they scraped like hell, I need to lift it already.

Apologies for the terrible resolution and cropping, I'm on my laptop and my trackpad is being a pain in the rear end:

https://www.instagram.com/evildodge if you want to see more.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

:perfect:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Merlin engines are supercharged though? They experimented with turbos but the extra room required for the exhaust plumbing was a no-go.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Ultramegasupercharger.

I seem to recall some sort of movie "My science Project" it was called had a guy driving a car with a "blower" and some douchebag in the car with him was all "hit the blooooowwwweeeeerrrr!!!!!!!!!" or some poo poo as they were trying to outrun electricity or something.
I guess that means they had it set up so it could be bypassed.

Thats my awful story thanks for reading.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

As Nero Danced posted:

I think it is a rendering while he waits for paint, but it is real. He says the the exhaust pipes as functional too, I actually have a set of zoomie tailpipes similar to his but mine don't turn up- I need to find something to install these on, come to think of it. My Grand Marquis wasn't an idea candidate because they scraped like hell, I need to lift it already.

Apologies for the terrible resolution and cropping, I'm on my laptop and my trackpad is being a pain in the rear end:

https://www.instagram.com/evildodge if you want to see more.

wow that looks... actually pretty drat good. im surprised

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ultramegasupercharger.

I seem to recall some sort of movie "My science Project" it was called had a guy driving a car with a "blower" and some douchebag in the car with him was all "hit the blooooowwwweeeeerrrr!!!!!!!!!" or some poo poo as they were trying to outrun electricity or something.

Oh poo poo was that the one where he shoots a T-rex with a grenade launcher?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Compressing that volume of air requires power, regardless of whether that power is coming from exhaust gasses or an accessory belt. Electric turbochargers should probably be called electric superchargers, but they would need a lot of power to compress air at sufficient quantities to be meaningful for an internal combustion engine.

Edit: apparently they are called electric superchargers. I've only heard of them as electric turbochargers. Weird.

Okay well lets get pedantic..... because why not?

So all methods of forced power adding are "supercharging". A parasitic compressor is generally just referred to as a plain supercharger (hence electric supercharger, it needs to draw off power from the motor to run), while a waste energy supercharger based off the exhaust gasses is a turbine superchager, usually shorted to tubosupercharger or just plain turbo. NO2 is a chemical supercharger as it changes the O2 in the combustion chamber.

Annnnd then compound supercharging in all it's different variation

OH! and then there's the guy that made a open wheeler that had a turbine jet engine to spool a compressor which in all honestly I'm not 100% sure kind of superchager you would call that other than awesome and I cant find the video right now but it's some hillclimbing special that went like a cut cat?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Something different from the BOM boys

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Memento posted:

Oh poo poo was that the one where he shoots a T-rex with a grenade launcher?

I've only ever seen the one scene where the guy tried to outrun electricity, and that was like about 25 + years ago, at the insistence of my friend who was all like "OWE EMM GEE must watch this scene so awesome!!!!!" but looking at the wikipedia page it does mention something about fighting dinosaurs, so probably.

wesleywillis fucked around with this message at 03:08 on May 29, 2021

ET_375
Nov 20, 2013

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Okay well lets get pedantic..... because why not?

So all methods of forced power adding are "supercharging". A parasitic compressor is generally just referred to as a plain supercharger (hence electric supercharger, it needs to draw off power from the motor to run), while a waste energy supercharger based off the exhaust gasses is a turbine superchager, usually shorted to tubosupercharger or just plain turbo. NO2 is a chemical supercharger as it changes the O2 in the combustion chamber.

Annnnd then compound supercharging in all it's different variation

OH! and then there's the guy that made a open wheeler that had a turbine jet engine to spool a compressor which in all honestly I'm not 100% sure kind of superchager you would call that other than awesome and I cant find the video right now but it's some hillclimbing special that went like a cut cat?

Nick Mann's Mannic is the car you were thinking of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EMleegZQLw

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Edit: beaten

Mannic Beattie

https://youtu.be/uhWyP8TBYgw
(Embedding disabled)

Helicopter APU used it's bleed air solely to feed the engine. It is very much a turbocharger by definition, though it's thermodynamic model is based on both Brayton and Otto cycle since they are divorced.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 29, 2021

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Memento posted:

Merlin engines are supercharged though? They experimented with turbos but the extra room required for the exhaust plumbing was a no-go.

At least a couple air racers managed to make it work on P51s. I think the real problem is that turbos don’t like leaded gasoline - on the DC-7 they were officially “Power Recovery Turbines” but colloquially known as “Parts Recovery Turbines”.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This owns but needs more go.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

quote:

Lots of Hop-Ups including faster top speeds, more power and even the opportunity to convert your Wild One MAX to be road legal in some countries!

More power and road legality is planned.

Dorsnt seem to be enough space for an ICE in there though

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I showed it to a friend and he's put a deposit down immediately due to his intense love of RC cars. I might get a chance to drive one at some point :allears:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/videos/10158415523083723

A certain AWD BRZ finally got a test day and promptly blew the alternator.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Ultramegasupercharger.

"Yeah, if you're lucky!"

Humphreys
Jan 26, 2013

We conceived a way to use my mother as a porn mule

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.facebook.com/kaptainballistik/videos/10158415523083723

A certain AWD BRZ finally got a test day and promptly blew the alternator.

Oooh I was just thinking about that car the other day.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Advent Horizon posted:

At least a couple air racers managed to make it work on P51s. I think the real problem is that turbos don’t like leaded gasoline - on the DC-7 they were officially “Power Recovery Turbines” but colloquially known as “Parts Recovery Turbines”.

PRTs are not turbochargers. PRTs are very literally turbine stages (generally only one stage, though most designs I’m aware of used a separate PRT on each side of the engine to keep the required turbine wheel smallish in order to keep the cowling profile slim,) that turn a shaft directly attached to the engine gearbox (or accessory gearbox,) and turn waste exhaust heat directly into additional rotational power. When you’re talking about a large ~3000hp engine, this can be several hundred additional horsepower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrYenko posted:

PRTs are not turbochargers. PRTs are very literally turbine stages (generally only one stage, though most designs I’m aware of used a separate PRT on each side of the engine to keep the required turbine wheel smallish in order to keep the cowling profile slim,) that turn a shaft directly attached to the engine gearbox (or accessory gearbox,) and turn waste exhaust heat directly into additional rotational power. When you’re talking about a large ~3000hp engine, this can be several hundred additional horsepower.

That's metal as gently caress. Just going to spin an impeller wheel and directly drive the gearbox with the output.