Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just fixed my headphones with a needle and thread and I feel like the loving god of smithing it's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
blobfish for labour mascot

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I've never met a participation-trophy-whinger who knows that Olympic athletes get participation medals and have done since 1896.

Fridgechat: Do those ones with the transparent plastic strips help conserve energy? They're easier for people than heavy fridge doors, and if they can be removed then they won't be in the way for restocking, but I don't know how well they actually keep the cool in.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Lady Demelza posted:

Fridgechat: Do those ones with the transparent plastic strips help conserve energy? They're easier for people than heavy fridge doors, and if they can be removed then they won't be in the way for restocking, but I don't know how well they actually keep the cool in.

They do. Anything that reduces convection and keeps the cold air in saves energy. An imperfect seal is still better than no seal whatsoever.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The fridge flaps are standard for every industrial fridge unit I've seen (and on some warehouse doors) so yeah I would imagine they help pretty well, main issue is you can't see through them well enough to read price tickets usually.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Bloodly posted:

I don't know about 'created'. More a 'race to the bottom'. Remaking ourselves to be as cheap and nasty and easily breaking down as possible. Someone's probably making a lot of God/AlienMoney off us.

I'm atheist but i found 'created' suited the sentence best, we were buggered from the very start. :)

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

The fridge flaps are standard for every industrial fridge unit I've seen (and on some warehouse doors) so yeah I would imagine they help pretty well, main issue is you can't see through them well enough to read price tickets usually.

They're pretty common in bodegas in New York and they work fine

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

Relevant to recent chat

If only that MI6 bloke had seen this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

They're pretty common in bodegas in New York and they work fine

Do they have a better version for shoppable fridges? I've only ever seen the big heavy things that end up all scratched to hell and semitransparent.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Do they have a better version for shoppable fridges? I've only ever seen the big heavy things that end up all scratched to hell and semitransparent.

Nah they're just as cruddy but I've only ever been in there drunk or with the aim of getting drunk so it worked out ok

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Soylent Yellow posted:

They do. Anything that reduces convection and keeps the cold air in saves energy. An imperfect seal is still better than no seal whatsoever.

The open-front fridges are supposed to have an air curtain which does actually work surprisingly well to keep the cold air in and warm air out. However they're *never* maintained properly - you're supposed to take an hour a week or so to clean out the vents properly, so half the time the air curtain just doesn't work and it's just building an ever-larger block of ice at the bottom of the unit without ever really cooling the stuff inside, or it's blasting ice-cold air out into the shop itself.

The fundamental problem with all of them is that even if a really inefficient cooler is costing the shop an extra fiver a day a) more-efficient ones - or even retrofitting better fronts onto existing ones - costs thousands so doesn't really have an ROI and b) shopkeeper brain disease makes them think "In the time it takes them to open a door they're going to change their mind and that'll cost me more in lost sales".

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They aren't even necessarily wrong about the last bit. Or at least a large amount of retail design is to 1. keep you in the shop looking at things as much as possible and 2. get you to buy things as easily as possible. The extra time it takes you to get something out of the fridge is time you might use to reconsider if you need it.

There is also the other version of shop brain where if something gets stolen you should just make it as hard as possible to buy it and then nobody will steal it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Trickjaw posted:

The eyeball out of Monsters Inc.?

That's Mike Wachowski, Mike Wozniak is one of the guys that founded apple.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mr Phillby posted:

That's Mike Wachowski, Mike Wozniak is one of the guys that founded apple.

Isn't it Steve Wozniak who was in on the foundation of Apple?

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Isn't it Steve Wozniak who was in on the foundation of Apple?

Steve jobs, innit?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Trickjaw posted:

Steve jobs, innit?

My google's been getting a work out tonight!

quote:

Stephen Gary Wozniak (/ˈwɒzniæk/; born August 11, 1950),[1](p18)[5][6][7](p27) also known by his nickname "Woz", is an American electronics engineer, computer programmer, philanthropist, and technology entrepreneur. In 1976, he co-founded Apple Inc. with business partner Steve Jobs, which later became the world's largest information technology company by revenue and the largest company in the world by market capitalization. Through their work at Apple in the 1970s and 1980s, he and Jobs are widely recognized as two prominent pioneers of the personal computer revolution.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wozniak

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My google's been getting a work out tonight!
source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Wozniak

Its my age. Names are a mystery to me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

What a shitfuck this country is now.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/eu-settled-status-home-office-b1854470.html

quote:

A 10-year-old girl has been refused EU settled status despite the fact that all of her immediate family members have been granted it.

Sara Bajraktari, an Italian national who turns 11 next month, has been told by the Home Office that she is not eligible for post-Brexit immigration status under the EU settlement scheme, even though her parents have been living in the UK since last year and have that status.

However, while Erik has a bank card and was able to present a bank statement showing that he had bought items in Britain, Sara had only a flight boarding pass as evidence – which the Home Office did not accept as evidence that she was in the country.

“What you have provided is not sufficient because online boarding passes provide no evidence of residency […] Therefore, your application has been refused,” the refusal letter states.

because every 10 year old should have a bank card FFS.

No wonder the wretched creature in No. 10 is meeting Orban, getting pointers on how to be even more fascist.

(and I couldn't find any evidence that the BoD are writing mass-signature letters protesting the visit either.)

Bah. Just bah.

:xbone:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

OwlFancier posted:

I just fixed my headphones with a needle and thread and I feel like the loving god of smithing it's amazing.

I mended a zip on a rucksack the other day and felt like a master engineer

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sebzilla posted:

I mended a zip on a rucksack the other day and felt like a master engineer

It's a good feeling, gently caress you capitalism I'm not buying your lovely replacement cups. I am owning the means of production.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

It's a good feeling, gently caress you capitalism I'm not buying your lovely replacement cups. I am owning the means of production.

I fixed a zip on my jeans last week and I felt like Stella McCartney.
(I'm the world's worst handywoman).

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've designed from scratch and 3D printed (among other things) replacement hinges and a latch for my shed, 2 custom vent hose adaptors for my air conditioner, several custom mobile phone stands and three different camera mounts for my crash helmet. I'm basically Isambard Kingdom Da Vinci.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I've designed from scratch and 3D printed (among other things) replacement hinges and a latch for my shed, 2 custom vent hose adaptors for my air conditioner, several custom mobile phone stands and three different camera mounts for my crash helmet. I'm basically Isambard Kingdom Da Vinci.

You are Tom Hanks and I claim my £5.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I am going to have to try and get a set of chisels at some point and see if I can do woodwork. I had quite a bit of fun making the walking stick last year and it would have been a lot easier if I had more than one chisel someone had seemingly used on bricks and a mallet.

A spoke shave would have been nice for one thing.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I made a strap for my golf umbrella to carry on my back hands-free and felt like a genius. Apparently such things already existed, but exclusively in a weeb format that included an umbrella designed to look like a katana and left the holder on your back, while mine was just a simple strap with a key ring and carabiner clip, held on by tension.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
*tiptoes around mile deep weeb trap about how it would be entirely improper to wear a true katana across the back, and so it must have in fact been designed to look like a nin... *falls in**

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a bit weird to wear any sword on your back unless you have five foot long arms.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You just don't know the secret of true apocryphal ninja power. Which appears to be the 1960s version of Assassin's Creed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think I literally have one of those lmao.

It has a 2edgy5me fake red snakeskin scabbard and a hamon someone put on with a brillo pad, it's glorious.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

We’ll make Seth Rogan a comrade if it’s the last thing we do:

https://twitter.com/sethrogen/status/1398426964856250370

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know very little about the man but he tweets pretty good.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Some great soldiers on both sides.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Question IRL posted:

With kids, you do give them agency. But I part it has to be earned. Not out of some desire to control their lives.
But because they literally don't know better and are relying on you to teach them how the world works.

And that's not their fault, they don't emerge fully formed or have all information downloaded into their minds. They need to have things taught to them, and as a parent you need to do a fine balancing act between not letting them become dependent on you/giving instruction/not smothering their sense of self and dozens of other areas.
With kids it is trust, but verify.

What I was getting at earlier is less "most parents are doing a bad job raising their kids" and more that more people are having plants and pets instead to fill voids in their lives.
Between a news story I read this week about people spending huge money on plants*, to the numbers of families who bought dogs during Lockdown (and often at mad puppy farm prices**.)

Came up in the boomer thread that a shitload of parents of especially boomer age just don't teach their kids things, and don't seem to believe in teaching. They just go straight from 'You're too young, you'll just mess it up' to 'You're old enough to know how to do this yourself' smoothly, if not outright refusing to teach anything (besides political indoctrination) and calling it off at the slightest excuse.

The 'innocent child' is just giving your kid a full-time job cosplaying a Hummel figurine.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

XMNN posted:

the replies are insane, but I especially like this one

https://twitter.com/tony_como/status/1397989124972363776?s=19

uwu poor little puppy Israel being bullied by the mean nazi Labour party

Ah. the good people of Batley & Spen, absolute experts on the situation in Israel, and not a bunch of random loving arseholes throwing their AS oars in on this.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
Beeb article: 31 mini-paragraphs about a rise in anti-semitic attacks in the US, out of which 4 make any mention of left/right-wing as a source

quote:

He adds that the conflict is sometimes used by US activists from across the political spectrum to "manufacture social division", from corners as diverse as far right ex-Trump adviser Steve Bannon and by antifa, the loosely knit group of far-left activists.

quote:

"For four years it seemed to be stimulated from the political right, with devastating consequences," the ADL's Jonathan Greenblatt told the New York Times.

But in the most recent attacks "no one is wearing Maga hats", he added, referring to the Make America Great Again Hats worn by Trump supporters.

Much anti-Semitism in the US still comes from the far-right, including the gunman who killed 11 people at a synagogue in Pittsburgh in 2018.
Beeb news frontpage headline:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Articles like that should be reported, I believe you can do that.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

There is also the other version of shop brain where if something gets stolen you should just make it as hard as possible to buy it and then nobody will steal it.

I used to work in a hardware shop. Head office would occasionally spend fortunes on anti-theft tags that could be strapped or pinned to high value items. Rather predictably, high value thefts wouldn't decrease, while thefts of the metal snips sold right next to them would soar (joke was on the thieves, as our security sensors hadn't worked for years, and head office was too cheap to replace them). If anything, putting a tag on something just hung a massive "steal me, I'm valuable" sign on it.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Apraxin posted:

Beeb article: 31 mini-paragraphs about a rise in anti-semitic attacks in the US, out of which 4 make any mention of left/right-wing as a source

Beeb news frontpage headline:

if you listen to the Radio War Nerd podcast the most recent episode has an absolutely astonishing story about the ADL running a secret spying ring with links to the US security services and torture/ war crimes in south america

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Didn't this guy do a anti-racism war vs Corbyn/Labour?

He apparently forgot you're not supposed to say the quiet part out loud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It's a truly bounteous time for batshit antisemitism takes:

https://twitter.com/FoxmanAbraham/status/1398316595722735628

Thats the former head of the ADL calling an NYT cover story about the children (on both sides, but mostly on one side of course) who've died in the last few weeks a "blood libel".

Alas we're not seeing any scales falling from eyes over here in the same way as has happened with a lot of libs in the US over this.