Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

why do people call him keith

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Shear Modulus posted:

https://www.haaretz.com/world-news/europe/in-defeat-to-corbyn-camp-keith-starmer-elected-leader-of-u-k-labour-party-1.8739440

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

lmfao

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Party Boat posted:

It was developed from the LIGMA protocol if that's any help

It didn't. But further googling reveals it is probably related to Fortnite which I have never participated in being an ancient of days :corsair:

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Shear Modulus posted:

it's his name?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It didn't. But further googling reveals it is probably related to Fortnite which I have never participated in being an ancient of days :corsair:
I don't think it has anything to do with Fortnite, it's a Hugh Jass/Amanda Hugandkiss type situation
BOFA these nuts and LIGMA balls

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Keir aims to combat trolls by telling them that mean tweets make him cry and wet himself

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

XMNN posted:

I don't think it has anything to do with Fortnite, it's a Hugh Jass/Amanda Hugandkiss type situation
BOFA these nuts and LIGMA balls

I'm giving up trying to be down wiv da yoof...

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Jose posted:

lmao they were already having issues because they had a heavily woman presenting cast with some people of colour except fox had years to get its viewers horny for that while the people this channel should appeal to got upset at it being woke

https://twitter.com/Politics4AlI/status/1398288656255832074?s=20

Serious Aphex Twin vibes over that still of Andrew Neil.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZ827lkktYs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was basically right that Starmer will not be able to give a straight answer when asked his name

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

genericnick posted:

One of the squirrel accounts posited that the UK press splits along pro-Gove and pro-Boris lines and that makes as much sense as anything.
The Times vs. The Telegraph

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Theyr both jokes, you trick someone into asking "what's bofa?" and you say "bofa these nuts!" and gesture at your peculiars

I don't really think the punchline follows the setup very well but that's culture for you

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i do wonder how the JC is able to stay running considering its tiny readership and the fact it gets done for libel repeatedly

https://twitter.com/andrewfeinstein/status/1398599261734965249?s=20

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

You may as well ask how and why any paper continues to survive despite their declining readership - ruling class subsidies to allow them to continue their propaganda operations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

i do wonder how the JC is able to stay running considering its tiny readership and the fact it gets done for libel repeatedly

https://twitter.com/andrewfeinstein/status/1398599261734965249?s=20

quote:

The Jewish Chronicle has been sold to a consortium fronted by Theresa May’s former director of communications, saving the historic newspaper following a brief but messy takeover battle.

The winning bid was led by Sir Robbie Gibb, a former BBC executive who worked in Downing Street throughout the Brexit negotiation process. It is also backed by a group including former charity commission chairman William Shawcross, ex-Labour MP John Woodcock, and journalist John Ware who made a recent Panorama investigation into allegations of antisemitism in the Labour party.

Others whose names are attached to the consortium include broadcaster Jonathan Sacerdoti and Rabbi Jonathan Hughes of Radlett United Synagogue, along with a number of financiers and lawyers.

Individuals involved in the deal said the new owners intend to reveal further details regarding who is providing the financial backing in the coming days, a detail which is currently unknown even to many of those closely involved in the newspaper. The intention is to transfer the ownership of the Jewish Chronicle into a trust in order to protect its future and follow a similar editorial line.

it's politically useful to monsters like Gibb and woodcock basically

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i guess i just don't see them as rich enough to fund it through constant libel losses but then i doubt they did ever elaborate on who's funding it

anyway in FBPE still being massive melts

https://twitter.com/EnglishmanAdam/status/1398515892561059840?s=20

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

namesake posted:

You may as well ask how and why any paper continues to survive despite their declining readership - ruling class subsidies to allow them to continue their propaganda operations.

You could see that happening over here over the last ten years. A good part of the tabloids introduced a free version that's mainly funded by local governments buying ad space so as to not end up the main character of the week.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Communist Thoughts posted:

Theyr both jokes, you trick someone into asking "what's bofa?" and you say "bofa these nuts!" and gesture at your peculiars

I don't really think the punchline follows the setup very well but that's culture for you

Finally someone brave enough to say it.

Updog worked because "what's updog?" sounds like an actual question you can jokingly answer. Bofa and Ligma make no sense.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Shear Modulus posted:

because they can't spell Kieth.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

congratulations to Bozza and Carrie

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

il_cornuto posted:

Finally someone brave enough to say it.

Updog worked because "what's updog?" sounds like an actual question you can jokingly answer. Bofa and Ligma make no sense.

As an American reading this, is this perhaps a regional accent thing? Like, with the standard American English glottal stop, "Ligma balls" and "bofa deez nuts" sound sufficiently like the phrases they mimic to be humorous. Both of -> bofa makes more sense with various American accents.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

As an American reading this, is this perhaps a regional accent thing? Like, with the standard American English glottal stop, "Ligma balls" and "bofa deez nuts" sound sufficiently like the phrases they mimic to be humorous. Both of -> bofa makes more sense with various American accents.

"ligma balls" does not actually answer the question "What's ligma?"

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Zoran posted:

"ligma balls" does not actually answer the question "What's ligma?"

In most of the circumstances I've seen it deployed, the entirety of the joke is bound up in the questioner not understanding that "what's ligma?" will not result in any useful information, but simply a request to lick the interlocutor's testicles. That's the long and short of it. The humor is the questioner not being in on the joke, not that the joke itself is particularly funny. The real humor comes from government officials or other supposedly serious actors responding to a "ligma" statement at all.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It's more of an anti-joke where the humor is derived from suckering some poor bystander into responding as though it were a serious thing. Also it led to this comic edit which is peak comedy once you're sufficiently internet poisoned.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I personally find it hilarious

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's spelled boufa in the UK, and beauxfa in the EU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
They trying to Jeb! Keith?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

It's more of an anti-joke where the humor is derived from suckering some poor bystander into responding as though it were a serious thing. Also it led to this comic edit which is peak comedy once you're sufficiently internet poisoned.

You're right

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

that edit is legitimately hilarious though

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

a secret marriage lmao is england even

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

a secret marriage lmao is england even

so secret it was timed perfectly for every single front page on Sunday

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

when's mr and mrs boris's oprah interview

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

They had to get married to avoid the press asking 'which one?' when the party coup him, kick him out of number 10 and he says he's going to spend more time with his family.

Haha jking the press will never challenge him.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Is boris just going to keep getting married every time he needs a bump in the polls

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

now he’s locked in a secret divorce he can power through another scandal

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

harry cole is currently working on the most pwoerful article ever written hes calling it his mangum opus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Is that the one where he cries onto the page