Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Avan rules because after saving the world he just goes back to being a giant dork (and training new heroes).

I'm glad they decided to do the updated anime because it's fun to watch and the modern animation work using a bunch of character designs that are very clearly from the 80s is real funny. Hopefully they just run it non-stop until completion since there's a lot of story left to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

Kuros posted:

Honestly if you're just at getting Veronica in the team, just go get the S version for all of the extras and QoL features.

This is coming from someone who pretty much 100% *both* the original and S versions of DQ11.

SpiderLink posted:

Here's my experience, if it's any help:

Got the original on PS4 late November 2018
Got the platinum that Christmas

Got the Switch rerelease at launch the following September and fell off a bit further than you are now.

Got the Xbox release December 2020, and got the platinum equivalent in February 2021.

In the end, it depends on how okay you are with replaying games of course. I'm sure I'm not the only person here who replays the mainline game but it does take a certain kind of person to go through VII 3 times.

Edit: and for what it's worth, you could do a replay in the 2D mode if you wanted. That's what I tried to do but I gave up because I found it too annoying.

Evil Fluffy posted:

I
Even in the base game I imagine getting platinum is going to be well over 100 hours of gameplay.

Honestly, the thing that mostly stops me from buying DQ XIS is that it's higher price (even on a sale) that what I had paid for the normal version, with no option of an upgrade or save transfer, and some of the QoL are really suspect - in a sense that not patching them in the game seems really more like making the S version more enticing. I'm no stranger to buying HD remakes, but never on the same console.

I thought about it some more, and even if it's irrational, I think I'd be annoyed at paying for a speed up and the like, even if it's a superior version. And I like the original graphics better. I'll stick with the version I have.

Thank you for your time:)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Szurumbur posted:

Honestly, the thing that mostly stops me from buying DQ XIS is that it's higher price (even on a sale) that what I had paid for the normal version, with no option of an upgrade or save transfer, and some of the QoL are really suspect - in a sense that not patching them in the game seems really more like making the S version more enticing. I'm no stranger to buying HD remakes, but never on the same console.

I thought about it some more, and even if it's irrational, I think I'd be annoyed at paying for a speed up and the like, even if it's a superior version. And I like the original graphics better. I'll stick with the version I have.

You're welcome

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I’m really looking forward to what they announced. Dragon Quest III is exactly what I wanted, I even made my own prototype turning the SNES artwork into 3D models in Unity, but this goes way further.

I’m guessing for XII they’re going to use an artstyle closer to Dragon Ball Z than Dragon Ball. It’s both very popular in the west and looks fantastic in 3D in FightersZ.

They got a lot of backlash when they announced IX as an action RPG, so I don’t think they’d try that again. However I would like to have turn based combat with timed hits like the Mario RPGs, Mother 3 and Yakuza 7. That last one might also be the reason they’re going for a worldwide launch, since it’s likely one of the reasons it was the most successful game in the series in the west.

I still enjoy the NES games so I don’t need any drastic changes, but there are some that I really appreciate. In DQXI’s 3D mode your characters take their action as soon as you enter it like FFX, instead of having to enter all of your characters’ actions and wait for the turn to play out. There’s also no random encounters. You can play in 2D mode to get the original turn based system and random encounters.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Szurumbur posted:

I get it. If you aren't too bothered by "missing out"then it's an easy choice. I would've done the same in your position. Enjoy the game, it's terrific!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Evil Fluffy posted:

He's old as hell so who knows. There's absolutel zero chance SE make him step down though since he could and would take his rights to the DQ music with him.
yeah we literally just have to hope he dies

thankfully there's a pandemic on maybe we get lucky and he fuckin bites it from the roni

Psychomax
Apr 4, 2009
Honestly I'm pretty excited for the stupid little match 3 game... I feel like whenever Armor puts a DQ spin on unexpected genres (DQ does Minecraft, DQ does Tamagotchi, DQ does Monopoly) the results are unique and surprisingly solid. I'm down to play DQ does Candy Crush, and those erasers are freaking adorable.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yeah we literally just have to hope he dies

thankfully there's a pandemic on maybe we get lucky and he fuckin bites it from the roni
Maybe it's me, but saying "he made some mediocre music in a video game once, I hope he catches the plague and dies" is a little :yikes:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

His music is far from the only bad quality he has as a person, but I don't have all the proper knowledge on the racist (?) stuff he's all about compared to someone else in the thread probably

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Commander Keene posted:

Maybe it's me, but saying "he made some mediocre music in a video game once, I hope he catches the plague and dies" is a little :yikes:

I don't wanna wish death on anyone but he's didn't just write some crappy music. He's an anti-LGBT, racist, Nanjing Massacre denier, and just all around rear end in a top hat. I wish the worst thing about him was that he wrote some bad video game music, but that doesn't really even make it on the chart.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koichi_Sugiyama#Political_activities_and_beliefs

Harrow fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 28, 2021

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
dude is literally on the board for a japanese nationalist think tank that wants to remove the human rights clauses from their constitution and reinstate the imperial army

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Evil Fluffy posted:

He's old as hell so who knows. There's absolutel zero chance SE make him step down though since he could and would take his rights to the DQ music with him.
why would he have the rights to the music

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Dragon Quest is a very strange beast. My understanding of the situation is that it is collectively owned by Yuji Horii, Akira Toriyama, and the old racist gently caress, who each have claim to their artistic contributions. Enix has always been the publisher but that’s entirely professional courtesy. Any one of the three could take their ball and go home at any time if they wanted.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Relin posted:

Along with being generally an rear end in a top hat he is apparently incredibly protective of his works and as far as I know/understand does indeed have ownership/rights to his music. I want to say there was an article a little while back that went into this I'm trying to find with no luck...

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Relin posted:

Probably part of the stipulation for him doing DQ1 way back when. He was after all doing TV music at that point or something.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

What's wrong with him having full rights to his music? He's the creator of it, yeah?

Arkage
Aug 10, 2008

Things fall apart;
the centre cannot hold

Commander Keene posted:

What, are you trying to say you're not the type to wishfully hope for the painful death of people who disagree with your politics? That's how we do internet politics now.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He's also the president or leader of Japan's version of the RIAA.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arkage posted:

What, are you trying to say you're not the type to wishfully hope for the painful death of people who disagree with your politics? That's how we do internet politics now.
hey now, I didn't say he had to die painfully

we just already have this pandemic we seemingly can't get rid of so we might as well get rid of the far-right racist massacre denialists while we're at it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Arkage posted:

Ah yes the politics of denying the murder of hundreds of thousands of Chinese soldiers and civvies, advocating for the removal of human rights and all the other poo poo. Just weird internet lefties at it again!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Mustached Demon posted:

What's wrong with him having full rights to his music? He's the creator of it, yeah?

I don't think people generally have an problem with artists having rights to their work, it's that Sugiyama 1. sucks, 2. has used these rights to make the games actively worse because he wants to sell CDs of the symphonic soundtracks, and 3. is more or less chained to the franchise because he has to be kept happy lest S-E lose the Dragon Quest main theme

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Relin posted:

Short version: because he got to do so when he worked on DQ1 and had the ability to make the demand, get it accepted, and be embedded deep enough that if Enix wanted to get rid of him it was too late because fans would riot if the DQ music had drastically changed.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mustached Demon posted:

I think it's a JK Rowling situation where for once people desperately wish corporate would stomp on the creative process because the creative is a horrible person.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

they should just let someone else compose DQ music I bet they could do some cool stuff

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mycot posted:

I think it's a JK Rowling situation where for once people desperately wish corporate would stomp on the creative process because the creative is a horrible person.

Thanks this actually makes a lot of sense.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

In Training posted:

they should just let someone else compose DQ music I bet they could do some cool stuff

They can't, when they created the DQ series they signed over all music rights to this dude. He does have a protege so it's just a matter of him retiring or dying for someone else to do it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was funny having 5 trailers in a row with the exact same song

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

I've got a feeling that they've held off announcing platforms for DQ12 because it's going to be on Xbox Game Pass and announced at e3.

As long as there is a switch version I'll be happy, which considering DQ11 made it to 3 different platforms seems likely.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I have an irrational hatred of gamepass so I hope they don't do that

I have nothing against the service I'm just real loving tired of this guy at work going "oh you buy games? Microsoft just gives them to me on gamepass. Sony and Nintendo are dumb"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I took the month free trial of Gamepass and wasn't impressed tbh

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

If it’s still available on PS4/5 and Switch at launch then it doesn’t make any difference to me. However, there’s a chance it could end up like PSO2 where the English version is only on Xbox and PC.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I took the month free trial of Gamepass and wasn't impressed tbh

I subbed for a buck the other week and I dunno maybe the PC selection is just real bare bones but same

Rain on your parade was fun though

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

I've got a feeling that they've held off announcing platforms for DQ12 because it's going to be on Xbox Game Pass and announced at e3.

As long as there is a switch version I'll be happy, which considering DQ11 made it to 3 different platforms seems likely.

Switch is dominating Japan's console sales in an almost comical fashion right now, but at the same time it Sony has a recent history of signing on big SE games for at least limited exclusively (FF7R being the big one). It's kind of a tossup for me which direction it goes.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Game pass has (had?) DQ XIS and currently has Builders 2 among other stuff. I just got 3 months of ultimate for $1 too so :shrug:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Avan rules because after saving the world he just goes back to being a giant dork (and training new heroes).

I'm glad they decided to do the updated anime because it's fun to watch and the modern animation work using a bunch of character designs that are very clearly from the 80s is real funny. Hopefully they just run it non-stop until completion since there's a lot of story left to go.

Speaking of, how's the show?

I tried to keep up with it weekly but I put it on the backburner when it was clear it was going to be a slow burn and probably less frustrating to watch for me on a Season / Arc by Arc basis.

SpiderLink
Oct 3, 2006

Len posted:

I have an irrational hatred of gamepass so I hope they don't do that

I have nothing against the service I'm just real loving tired of this guy at work going "oh you buy games? Microsoft just gives them to me on gamepass. Sony and Nintendo are dumb"

I love game pass, and your coworker sounds like a total jackass.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Game pass has (had?) DQ XIS and currently has Builders 2 among other stuff. I just got 3 months of ultimate for $1 too so :shrug:

XI S is still on there. It doesn't matter to me if XII gets added as well, but I do hope it at least comes to Xbox/PC so I can buy it at launch.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
DQXII is being made with Unreal Engine 5.

https://twitter.com/DQ_PR/status/1397832446935138309?s=20

quote:

We are looking for new development staff for "Dragon Quest XII Selected Flame of Fate" announced today.
This work is under development on Unreal Engine 5, and we are taking on various challenges.
Would you like to try a new Dragon Quest together?
We look forward to your application!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Len posted:

I subbed for a buck the other week and I dunno maybe the PC selection is just real bare bones but same

Rain on your parade was fun though

Getting all the Bethesda games on there was probably a big coup for Microsoft, but the way gamepass works interferes with the functionality of mods, so there's no way I would get it for Bethesda games.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Oh there's no way this is ever coming to the Switch then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ConanThe3rd posted:

Speaking of, how's the show?

I tried to keep up with it weekly but I put it on the backburner when it was clear it was going to be a slow burn and probably less frustrating to watch for me on a Season / Arc by Arc basis.

The show’s good. The story is very much a late 80s, early 90s shonen anime story but it’s fun. There’s a lot to go too since I’d assume they’re going to run through the full manga storyline.