Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

How many Hail Marx's do I say in pennance for a home value of $200k in Alberta for a wage of $25/hour?

Ten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Finally. Thank you.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

Going to stop the housing chat for a second but with the discovery of so many unmarked children's graves how long until everyone's favorite province and mine, dig up that loving RV park and find all our graves?

Last story I can find about Brandon was 2018 so maybe they already di-hahahaha

https://www.google.com/amp/s/beta.ctvnews.ca/national/canada/2018/8/31/1_4076698.html

quote:

Lindsay found the unmarked graves by using an old, hand drawn map made by a former student of the Brandon Residential School.

I don't know why but this detail in particular feels awful.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

RBC posted:

I made no mention of reverse mortgages. You can refinance your mortgage at your asset's appreciated value to take equity out. That is a regular mortgage, at regular rates. It happens all the time. This is real money. It seems like several "homeowners" in this thread are being either deliberately obtuse, or are actually financial illiterate enough to think there's no way to access capital in a house other than selling it.

Yes, if your house loses value, you might become underwater on the mortage. But here's the thing. The government has all but gauranteed it's going to do whatever it takes to prop up the housing market.

We can talk about realized vs unrealized gains, but what is the point of this?

Is Jeff Bezos millions of shares in amazon worthless because he can't sell them all immediately? Because they're just on paper? No. That's ridiculous. Is your house's capital gains worthless because you don't want to access the equity right now? No.

The average price of a house in Canada right now is over $700,000. How many people can afford this? Why should we be giving homeowners money? Why are we giving them windfall tax breaks on these gains? Enough with the crocodile tears.

This is a home equity line of credit.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Do it ironically posted:

look it’s fine, I’d love to own a home but don’t try to lie saying being a home owner isn’t immensely better than being a renter, it’s objectively much better and you have access to a lot more and more to give your kids if you have any

I don't think anyone here has said this. The argument has been trying to dissuade people from thinking "homeowner" is a synonym for "bougie millionaire"

This feels like it's the lefty version of that Fox news story about how 98% of poor people have a fridge

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Crow Buddy posted:

This is a home equity line of credit.

A heloc is different from a 2nd mortgage or a mortgage refinance. There are many different ways to access equity in a house. Like I said, this is a massive industry in Canada.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
no I think it’s that some home owners in the thread are being intentionally obtuse or deliberately obfuscating the benefits they receive being a home owner

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I don't think anyone here has said this. The argument has been trying to dissuade people from thinking "homeowner" is a synonym for "bougie millionaire"

As far as I can tell, most people ITT have been arguing that home ownership puts you in a better position than many other people, which it does, not that you're Scrooge McDuck because you don't have a landlord.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

i don't think anyone has said this either. so i'm sure we're all very acrimoniously agreeing with each other

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

cash crab posted:

that you're Scrooge McDuck because you don't have a landlord.

wait, no, i'm saying this.

y'all gold diving bastards. put on some pants.

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

infernal machines posted:

wait, no, i'm saying this.

y'all gold diving bastards. put on some pants.

you don't wear pants swimming in the tower of gold coins labelled "home equity".

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't understand the argument.

Yes some people mortgaged houses because their personal financial and market situation allowed them to buy a house. They can understand their privilege and also understand that being a renter sucks in a lot of aspects and that something must be done about housing affordability.

If the roles were reversed the exact same (or similar) decision would be made.

This weird pious leftist idea that no benefit can be derived until all have equal access to that benefit is just driving people away from the cause.

Also to assume that all housing markets are the same and all housing options that people own are appreciating at the same value as a detached bungalow that is printing money is also ignorant. I have about 10 friends who are stuck in their place because they can't unload their condo in this market and they've lost all equity and more, are they privileged too?

You can argue the point without being so aggressive at peoples current situation.

apatheticman has issued a correction as of 19:06 on May 29, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the people that own the houses were questioning how much of an advantage owning a house really was.

this was explained.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Killin_Like_Bronson posted:

you don't wear pants swimming in the tower of gold coins labelled "home equity".

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Do it ironically posted:

no I think it’s that some home owners in the thread are being intentionally obtuse or deliberately obfuscating the benefits they receive being a home owner

yeah, we are doing it to keep it exclusive

gtfo

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Do it ironically posted:

the one guy in here saying he bought a home and he makes minimum wage making it seems he single handedly bought it on his own then making another post later saying his spouse had a good paying job lmao

lmao, I missed this.

I'm afraid just ten Hail Marx's won't make up for this.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

RBC posted:

A heloc is different from a 2nd mortgage or a mortgage refinance. There are many different ways to access equity in a house. Like I said, this is a massive industry in Canada.

Yes, and it is ALL debt. The bank isn't giving me some % of my home free and clear when I refinance.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

lmao

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Do it ironically posted:

the one guy in here saying he bought a home and he makes minimum wage making it seems he single handedly bought it on his own then making another post later saying his spouse had a good paying job lmao

look it’s fine, I’d love to own a home but don’t try to lie saying being a home owner isn’t immensely better than being a renter, it’s objectively much better and you have access to a lot more and more to give your kids if you have any

I think those were two different people, I’m the second guy with the spouse

being a renter sucked, I wish rental properties were way better

e: actually, renting in Hamilton back when it was cheap was actually pretty good

a primate has issued a correction as of 19:36 on May 29, 2021

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

apatheticman posted:

This weird pious leftist idea that no benefit can be derived until all have equal access to that benefit is just driving people away from the cause.

I don't think this. In fact, I went out of my way to state so several times.

This isn't a personal morality tale, it's about the way our system works. And one of the ways it works is by forcing everyone to eat a little human flesh, engage in a little bit of exploitation, if they want to survive.

Knowing this makes me hate the system more, not the people caught in it.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Crow Buddy posted:

Yes, and it is ALL debt. The bank isn't giving me some % of my home free and clear when I refinance.

.... secured by capital appreciation. What are people not understanding about this? Can we please stop?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
"I just magically get these low low interest rates on my 10x leverage!"

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

RBC posted:

.... secured by capital appreciation. What are people not understanding about this? Can we please stop?

No I understand. I am not perpetuating the debt fueled inequity that is destroying the country because I haven't yet had an internet leftist on a dying comedy forum tell me how asset appreciation and real estate leveraging works.

What I would like to actually understand is how you explaining that I am richer than I think fix any of it?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Crow Buddy posted:

Access to cheap credit is a valuable asset, in fact one of the most fundamental class distinctions.

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

PhilippAchtel posted:

Access to cheap credit is a valuable asset, in fact one of the most fundamental class distinctions.

There's the rub- if you already have a house what do you need to leverage the capital into? Consumer spending? A second home?
The only thing that makes sense is to put money back into the house in the form of renovations etc., which beyond quality of life improvements and basic maintenance isn't necessary unless the goal is to eventually flip the property.

Someone who has to take out money against their house to put a new roof on it isn't rich- I mean, yes if we're talking globally how fortunate someone is to legally own the roof over their head and not have anyone be able to gently caress with them (to say nothing of eminent domain), but that doesn't mean they aren't presently working hard to keep it livable.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
i've solved our problem! just bring back the ye olde policy:

there are 231 million acres of crown land in ontario. that means everyone can have 15 acres if we divide it equally

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Also, a homeowner doesn't necessarily have to sell their home for an enormous profit, they could set a lower price if desired :v:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rutibex posted:

there are 231 million acres of crown land in ontario. that means everyone can have 15 acres if we divide it equally

the problem is that like 300 million acres of that crown land is rightfully owed to first nations people, we should fix that first

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Also, a homeowner doesn't necessarily have to sell their home for an enormous profit, they could set a lower price if desired :v:

lmao

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Arivia posted:

the problem is that like 300 million acres of that crown land is rightfully owed to first nations people, we should fix that first

But how does 'land back' jive with our official policy of obfuscating what true reconciliation would actually look like and prevent it from ever becoming reality? Just say "we recognize we are on treaty (#) territory" and you're golden!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Arivia posted:

i'm perfectly fine with dissolving the vestigial remnants of the british empire and giving everyone who lives here an equal say in how its all run. just so long as the new government gives me some drat land

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

But how does 'land back' jive with our official policy of obfuscating what true reconciliation would actually look like and prevent it from ever becoming reality? Just say "we recognize we are on treaty (#) territory" and you're golden!

you can't "give the land back" and all the white people move to europe or whatever. obviously people who were born in canada have a right to live here same as anyone born in canada

the best that can be done is to dissolve the government of canada as it currently exists (because it is and always was a colonial white supremacist institution, no matter how reformed it pretends to be). then form a new equal society where everyone has an equal footing, politically and economically. that would require taking a lot of wealth from white people and redistributing it (because that wealth was accumulated from colonial times)

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Land Back doesn't mean kicking the white people out of north america.

Land Back means getting the Indigenous people control over their own lives.

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

Just say "we recognize we are on treaty (#) territory" and you're golden!

its fun how thats huge chunk of the activism these days. My partner works for a non-profit, and they have to do regular sensitivity training, and one of the speakers loves to call out the companies that do land acknowledgements in their emails but contribute nothing to actually helping people.

"Sure its maybe bad that all of our staff is white, but we said we are holding this meeting on treaty six land so we've solved racism"

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Land Back doesn't mean kicking the white people out of north america.

Land Back means getting the Indigenous people control over their own lives.

Landback.org/manifesto posted:

LANDBACK is a movement that has existed for generations with a long legacy of organizing and sacrifice to get Indigenous Lands back into Indigenous hands. Currently, there are LANDBACK battles being fought all across Turtle Island, to the north and the South.

As NDN Collective, we are stepping into this legacy with the launch of the LANDBACK Campaign as a mechanism to connect, coordinate, resource and amplify this movement and the communities that are fighting for LANDBACK. The closure of Mount Rushmore, return of that land and all public lands in the Black Hills, South Dakota is our cornerstone battle, from which we will build out this campaign. Not only does Mount Rushmore sit in the heart of the sacred Black Hills, but it is an international symbol of white supremacy and colonization. To truly dismantle white supremacy and systems of oppression, we have to go back to the roots. Which, for us, is putting Indigneous Lands back in Indigenous hands.

Part of getting some of that control back is having land back. Hence the name. They're not suggesting all European-descended people go back, but they are asking for land, not just metaphorical gestures of acknowledgement.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

Rutibex posted:

i regret to inform you that we are in fact running out of land

Bloomberg has spoken

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bnnbloomberg.ca/the-second-largest-country-in-the-world-is-running-out-of-land-1.1605274.amp.html

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cash crab posted:

Part of getting some of that control back is having land back. Hence the name. They're not suggesting all European-descended people go back, but they are asking for land, not just metaphorical gestures of acknowledgement.

Absolutely blast those guys' faces off of the mountain and close the site though, that poo poo's offensive

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

a primate posted:

Bloomberg has spoken

I linked this a bit upthread, so I think I already touched on this but: the fact that they're talking about it like it's young Canadians who are unwilling to settle for smaller tracts of land rather than like, the fact the economy blows is very funny/sad

flakeloaf posted:

Absolutely blast those guys' faces off of the mountain and close the site though, that poo poo's offensive

It's on so many levels such a tepid request, too, but some white people would gladly go to war over their right to keep a bunch of lovely old white dudes carved into the side of a mountain that never belonged to them

cash crab has issued a correction as of 20:45 on May 29, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

cash crab posted:

they should get 100 acres each, same as the original settlers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

quote:

Canada is going to need more apartments too, especially as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau moves to boost immigration to historic records to make up for the pandemic lull. The country has a shortage of homes generally, posting the lowest number of housing units per 1,000 people among Group of Seven countries, according to a recent report from the Bank of Nova Scotia.

obviously we need a campaign to get tom thompson his own country, that should fix things? I think?