Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

There's no end to this post, I'm just thinking aloud.

The RGB10 Max and ODroid Go Super made me think of how difficult it would be to "make" something of the same size and form, but more capable.

Razer sells a phone-controller attachment called the Junglecat.

It does the basics, hook on to the side of the phone, adds a controller. The reviews for it are all-around good.

That being said, one of its specifically-named compatible phones is the Galaxy S10 Plus, which is two or three years old, but it ran as a flagship Samsung phone, showing off the "best" of Android not too long ago. Its specs are still insane, the screen is also insane, and its overall design is like 99.9% screen.

It's still expensive though. But I thought, if someone wanted to use it strictly for Android gaming in the same way they use all of these other devices, they could get one with a few things broken. For example, the phone could have a bad ESN, broken mic, shattered back, and scuffed up sides. If someone were to find one with all of those things broken, it'd probably float around $100. Hell, you can find some with only 1 or 2 of those things broken for around $150.

Then, the Junglecat being a device marketed towards Android mobile gaming, used ones run for about $60 - $70.

For the S10 Plus, you may not even need to root it. Just change the launcher to Pegasus or some front-end if you wanted to, install a theme, then you've essentially got the exact same thing as any other device running Android. All for like $150 - $200.

And, compared to the i7s, it has the added benefit of having USB-C out for video (convert it to HDMI). The Junglecat comes with an insert to hold it the same way you do the Nintendo Joycons

Plug the phone up to any monitor, boom.

e: This is not the case. I got lost in the listings, but they were all for broken screens (to some extent). Add maybe $50 to each of them, but at that rate, it's a lot of money.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rolo posted:

Give me the SN30 shell with Retroid’s case colors and Anbernic’s everything else and I will write you a big check.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwB0VqybUFc

LODGE NORTH posted:

There's no end to this post, I'm just thinking aloud.

The RGB10 Max and ODroid Go Super made me think of how difficult it would be to "make" something of the same size and form, but more capable.

Razer sells a phone-controller attachment called the Junglecat.

It does the basics, hook on to the side of the phone, adds a controller. The reviews for it are all-around good.

That being said, one of its specifically-named compatible phones is the Galaxy S10 Plus, which is two or three years old, but it ran as a flagship Samsung phone, showing off the "best" of Android not too long ago. Its specs are still insane, the screen is also insane, and its overall design is like 99.9% screen.

It's still expensive though. But I thought, if someone wanted to use it strictly for Android gaming in the same way they use all of these other devices, they could get one with a few things broken. For example, the phone could have a bad ESN, broken mic, shattered back, and scuffed up sides. If someone were to find one with all of those things broken, it'd probably float around $100. Hell, you can find some with only 1 or 2 of those things broken for around $150.

Then, the Junglecat being a device marketed towards Android mobile gaming, used ones run for about $60 - $70.

For the S10 Plus, you may not even need to root it. Just change the launcher to Pegasus or some front-end if you wanted to, install a theme, then you've essentially got the exact same thing as any other device running Android. All for like $150 - $200.

And, compared to the i7s, it has the added benefit of having USB-C out for video (convert it to HDMI). The Junglecat comes with an insert to hold it the same way you do the Nintendo Joycons

Plug the phone up to any monitor, boom.

e: This is not the case. I got lost in the listings, but they were all for broken screens (to some extent). Add maybe $50 to each of them, but at that rate, it's a lot of money.
IIRC the Junglecat only worked with their own phones, which were overpriced and didn't sell, so naturally there was no demand for the JC. They replaced it with the Kishi, which works with most USBC phones, but it's overpriced and kinda unergonomic as well.

The new hotness is the cheaper but still overpriced updated GameSir X2 now with an actual d-pad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_AMnD_EPdg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-8f7CGEODw

Here's the Razer compared to the older no d-pad Gamesir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w676K-UFn5U

And you're right, even an older flagship phone from several years ago like the Galaxy S10 combined with a gamepad like these will far surpass any of these cheap third party handheld retro consoles. Of course, the Galaxy S10 still costs $650 and up new, so not a surprise there. But even a cheap prepaid phone combined with a GameSir will be more powerful and within a sub-$200 price range, at least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_zO9MXWPFQ

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 29, 2021

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Rolo posted:

351V quick facts:

-351Elec is very easy to flash and worth it just to have everything pre-tweaked out of the box.

-With the V you can connect to your wifi and SSH themes directly into the OS! It’s also easy!

-Check my post history for an awesome theme customized for the V screen some redditor made. Easy!

CFox posted:

Seconding 351Elec, everything just works without any tweaking required.

Nice, I think i'm going to give 351elec a try. Will it automatically pickup the 2nd sd card that came with the 351v that has all the games on it, or will I have to tweak things? Also, is 32gb enough for the 351elec image if i'm going to keep games on a 2nd card? From what i've read it should be but thought i'd double check.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Pretty sure it automatically found card 2 and made the necessary folders for me on the first boot.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

I recall there being one of these that has a Gameboy cart slot and can play GBA games natively. Anyone know which one that was?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Bouillon Rube posted:

I recall there being one of these that has a Gameboy cart slot and can play GBA games natively. Anyone know which one that was?

Was it the GB Boy?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Bouillon Rube posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Was it the GB Boy?

That's the only one I've seen and it plays hardware GB and GBC games only and will also run a multicart with no issue. Got one, fairly inexpensive since its a knockoff and not an original.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Bouillon Rube posted:

There's the Revo K101 Plus, and then there's the Analogue Pocket on its way. One of those?

Manky fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 30, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Manky posted:

There's the Revo K101 Plus, and then there's the Analogue Pocket on its way. One of those?

It’s gotta be the Revo.

I’ve got one and it’s ok?

I wouldn’t buy one today though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

there’s also the digi retroboy but it looks pretty uninspiring too

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/4000170466300.html

not a lot of options if you gotta use real carts. probably the overall best gba experience you’re going to get is a real gba with the ips mod or playing roms on an rg351p (purple)

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Blast from the past: the Pyra handhelds have started shipping

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Was it the GB Boy?

Manky posted:

Thanks- Revo K101 was what ai was thinking of!

I actually have a GB Boy Colo(u)r. It’s awesome for what it is, but it’s not really an emulator console; it’s really just a backlit GBC clone with a read-only flash cart built in.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Marx Headroom posted:

Blast from the past: the Pyra handhelds have started shipping

Wow, those have been in preproduction forever. They are at least cheaper than what GPD et al are offering.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ivh9attH_Q

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Has anyone tried “Prior Big Box” shipping from Ambernic directly? It’s fast shipping for a very low price. It seems like there has to be a catch? And does anyone know whether buying from Ambernic or Amazon effects if the device comes preloaded with games?

Edit: Do I need two SD cards to use 351Elec on the 351V?

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 31, 2021

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
You don't need two SD cards, I'm running everything off of one 32GB card.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
It’ll make rom folders on the first card no matter what, then if there’s a second it’ll do it on there too but you don’t have to have one.

It is the least finicky device.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Sorry to keep asking about this, but as a follow up: I bought a big SD card to go with the 351V. Can I take the SD card that comes with it out, install the new one with 351Elec to the first slot, and then just throw the existing SD card into the second slot to use whatever games came preloaded on it?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Nickoten posted:

Sorry to keep asking about this, but as a follow up: I bought a big SD card to go with the 351V. Can I take the SD card that comes with it out, install the new one with 351Elec to the first slot, and then just throw the existing SD card into the second slot to use whatever games came preloaded on it?

No, all the OS's including 351elec are designed to use either the rest of the space on the main SD, or the entire second SD, not both together.

You could copy whatever the preloaded games are *onto* the big SD card, but they're kind of a haphazard disorganized mess and you probably don't actually want to.

What you actually probably want to do is just format the big SD to whatever your OS of choice likes (exfat for 351elec), use that as your SD2, and put 351elec on the card that came with the v as SD1. The defaults for both 351Elec and ArkOS put your saved games etc. on the second card intentionally, so you can re-image the primary card without losing anything.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 1, 2021

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
The 351v is pretty awesome. Installed 351Elec Reborn on it.

I am getting a few weird stutters in stuff like FF V Advanced. But nothing too awful. I haven’t tried changing cores or anything. Just letting the OS handle all that so far.

I could almost see myself falling even more in love with a 351v that was about 1.5x bigger.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Yea I don't see myself upgrading from the 351v until they start coming out with 5+ inch screens that aren't 16x9. I'm not really interested in n64 or dreamcast games and it looks like PS2 emulation takes a lot of power so I'm not expecting that anytime soon.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Disappointing Pie posted:

I am getting a few weird stutters in stuff like FF V Advanced. But nothing too awful. I haven’t tried changing cores or anything. Just letting the OS handle all that so far.

I could almost see myself falling even more in love with a 351v that was about 1.5x bigger.

Could I pick your brain about the steps you took to install it? I did the following and am left with a device that starts up to a blank screen:

1) Flashed the latest reborn image to a Samsung 128GB SD card using balenaEtcher.

2) Made sure device was off and removed both existing SD cards from the 351V.

3) Inserted the freshly flashed samsung card into slot 1 of the 351V.

4) Held the power button to turn it off.

5) see it display some kind of tiled version of the startup screen and reboot itself.

6) Device hangs at a blank screen for 10+ minutes, so I turn it off by holding the power button.

7) When I remove the card and put it into my computer, I see it has the OS and Games partitions people say it should. However, it does nothing when inserted into the device.

Am I doing something obviously wrong here?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Is your SD Card using ExFAT? I think that's a requirement.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Nickoten posted:

Could I pick your brain about the steps you took to install it? I did the following and am left with a device that starts up to a blank screen:

1) Flashed the latest reborn image to a Samsung 128GB SD card using balenaEtcher.

2) Made sure device was off and removed both existing SD cards from the 351V.

3) Inserted the freshly flashed samsung card into slot 1 of the 351V.

4) Held the power button to turn it off.

5) see it display some kind of tiled version of the startup screen and reboot itself.

6) Device hangs at a blank screen for 10+ minutes, so I turn it off by holding the power button.

7) When I remove the card and put it into my computer, I see it has the OS and Games partitions people say it should. However, it does nothing when inserted into the device.

Am I doing something obviously wrong here?

I think had the same issue and felt ridiculous when I realized that I was flashing the 351p/m image and not the V specific image.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

I think had the same issue and felt ridiculous when I realized that I was flashing the 351p/m image and not the V specific image.

gently caress, you're totally right. Thank you so much!

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006

Nickoten posted:

gently caress, you're totally right. Thank you so much!

You’re very welcome. I spent way too long troubleshooting that yesterday lmao.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Weirdly, now it's not creating the games partition when I pop the SD card in. I'm not sure what's going on here.

Update: I think this was a me problem because disk management showed the partition as being there but with no assigned drive letter. Assigned it one and it's showing up now!

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jun 2, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The PS2 Portable made from a 3D Printed case and a cut down PS2 Slim is the 2021 version of 2020's Wii portable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o93mMR5emDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46gNvDLgLdI

Someone mentioned earlier that 351Elec has rewind on by default, and that can cause stutters.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Got everything up and running and yeah this is a very satisfying device to use. Couple of lingering questions:

1) Is there a way to view the full metadata for a game after you scrape it? I notice it scrapes game descriptions but they're all cut off. I'm also wondering if I can choose to scrape the manual for one specific game. It seems like I miiight be able to do this by creating a collection, changing the scrape settings and then scraping those specific games.

2) Once in a game, am I correct in thinking input stuff and savestates are something I have to do purely through Retroarch? Or is there an in-game 351elec menu I'm not seeing?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Nickoten posted:

Got everything up and running and yeah this is a very satisfying device to use. Couple of lingering questions:

1) Is there a way to view the full metadata for a game after you scrape it? I notice it scrapes game descriptions but they're all cut off. I'm also wondering if I can choose to scrape the manual for one specific game. It seems like I miiight be able to do this by creating a collection, changing the scrape settings and then scraping those specific games.

2) Once in a game, am I correct in thinking input stuff and savestates are something I have to do purely through Retroarch? Or is there an in-game 351elec menu I'm not seeing?

There are HW shortcuts. Hold select and hit the L and R buttons for fast forward, load and save.

Hold select and hit start twice to quit.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
What’s the verdict on Analogue’s stuff?

https://www.analogue.co/pocket

oh lmaoo there’s still not released?!!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There happens to be a major parts shortage right now. The blockage in the Suez Canal a couple months back also didn't help things.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Am I extremely dumb, or on the stock RG351V firmware and 351 Elec is there no way to immediately exit the game you're in and go back to the frontend? The only way i've found to do it is to hold down the thumbstick and press the F/function button, then go to 'Close Content, then go to 'Quit Retroarch'. Is that the fastest way?

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

frogbs posted:

Am I extremely dumb, or on the stock RG351V firmware and 351 Elec is there no way to immediately exit the game you're in and go back to the frontend? The only way i've found to do it is to hold down the thumbstick and press the F/function button, then go to 'Close Content, then go to 'Quit Retroarch'. Is that the fastest way?

On 351 elec you hit start and select twice to close the current content, or hold select and double tap start.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Detective No. 27 posted:

There happens to be a major parts shortage right now. The blockage in the Suez Canal a couple months back also didn't help things.

Oh true. but still, it was originally listed to release in May anyway— and I thought it had been out for years. lol

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

frogbs posted:

Hold select, tap start twice. That exits the game and retro arch and also makes a savestate at the same time.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

CFox posted:

Hold select, tap start twice. That exits the game and retro arch and also makes a savestate at the same time.

Oh nice, this is so much easier!

Also, so far 351elec is pretty nice! Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNJpu2h5NU4

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Ignore me, looks like what I’ve been tinkering with doesn’t work so well with everything.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jun 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo0K3Yk4Lzk