Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That list is a console every generation lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

veni veni veni posted:

"We weren't rich; we only had ONE console from each generation"

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

poisonpill posted:

"We weren't rich; we only had ONE console from each generation"

*had a 3DO* I win!

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 30, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
clever poors got a new console every generation they just waited until that gen was almost over

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I have a friend that still plays madden on PS2 and when I asked why he doesn't upgrade he was like "who cares? Same thing."

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

I have a friend that still plays madden on PS2 and when I asked why he doesn't upgrade he was like "who cares? Same thing."

they didnt even have lootbox technology on the PS2 yet, i dont see how it could be a comparable experience to a modern sports game

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I “want” a PS5, but I actually want PC ports of PS titles (like FF7R)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I was always about a generation behind most of the time. First console I bought myself in launch window was the Wii.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

its_my_birthday posted:

i went nes -> n64 -> dreamcast -> 360 -> ps4. i totally skipped the ps2/og xbox era. i was pretty sure i was done after dreamcast, but ended up buying fallout 3, a 360, and my first ever flat screen tv all together one time when i felt like i had too much money

I went Colecovision -> Commodore 64 -> Commodore Amiga 500 -> 486/33 PC -> Pentium III

That last step was a giant leap. We didn't have much money so I had to survive on my 486 from 1993 to 1999. Pretty much after 1995 I could not play any new games. I just kept replaying X-Wing and Tie Fighter and LucasArts games and small PD games. In 1999 I got a job and built a nice PIII PC just in time for Half-Life release.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

veni veni veni posted:

Just lol if you aren't still playing n64 NFL QB club

jokes posted:

I “want” a PS5, but I actually want PC ports of PS titles (like FF7R)

yeah I wish ff7r would get ported already

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Whichever madden game had the horribly bitcrushed "he's going for the punt" is the only one anyone ever needs.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I liked the Xbox original controller. I never found it weird, and I have the crooked, stubby hands of a goblin. Maybe because it was like a better version of the Dreamcast controller? Which ruled because I could bring my Chao to school

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I was like 11 years old when the first Xbox came out and even for my small childs hands the Duke wasn't a problem, and I do not have large hands.

The Gamecube controller was a loving burger king kidz club toy though. Those shoulder buttons were hilariously bad. Also funny how long Nintendo tried to insist that hard plastic analog sticks were cool and good despite everything. And now they have the joycon drift problem which is a bit more than an annoyance if you're a Switch Lite owner I imagine.

Nintendo loving sucks at controllers lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

site posted:

Just lol if you aren't still playing n64 NFL QB club
yeah I wish ff7r would get ported already

I'm still playing this because Joe Montana just can't believe anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnvs5B_8ISo

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Is the GPU market ever going to become "normal" again? I was thinking of building a new computer but lol at these loving prices. I'm not paying a thousand dollars for some middling GPU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Now that the market is set there is no changing it. This is the new normal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Everything I have read indicates that the shortages of GPUs, consoles etc. won't end until into 2022. And who knows if that's even true or just buying time.

Tbf msrp on all of this poo poo right now is pretty good. There just aren't enough of them. Gougers charging 2-3 the price isn't the new normal it's just a thing that exists and sucks for now.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 30, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

Pretty cool to have game commentary in there

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I love ND games but I agree with a decent amount of this post. In fact I haven't seen a single TLOU fan express anything but confusion at the remake. it feels so wholly unnecessary.

And their main talent is taking movie/prestige tropes and turning them into good games so, yes making TV shows and movies out of their games feels pretty redundant.

Yeah, I'm not having a go at Naughty Dog fans for enjoying these games, I'm just a bit tired of the kind of game they've become known for.

My favourites were Crash 1 and 2 and Uncharted 2 and 3, where they were making games with graphics that were almost impossible for other developers at the time, but also used their tech for interesting gameplay ideas. It wasn't just the acting and facial animation that they were trying to impress us with.

In Uncharted 2 you had the fight in a collapsing building where desks and debris were constantly shifting, forcing you to keep moving to stay in cover. You also had the train sequence, which was so difficult to make that it was the first level they started and the last they finished. Uncharted 3 had the ship which was a huge physics object that reacted to the waves and you had to escape it while it was sinking.

I enjoyed Lost Legacy for just being 4 with none of the padding, but I'm not excited for another one.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Collapsing Farts posted:

Is the GPU market ever going to become "normal" again? I was thinking of building a new computer but lol at these loving prices. I'm not paying a thousand dollars for some middling GPU

We're going to run out of water and fight a world war over it before the GPU market could ever normalize. The world is ending lol.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Collapsing Farts posted:

Right now there are a lot of independent factors driving prices up.

• There was a fire in one major chip manufacturer, knocking a temporary dent in worldwide production
  • Every other manufacturer is running at reduced speed due to COVID safety measures
  • There's increased demand for consumer electronics because of everyone staying home all the time -- the same facilities that manufacture GPU chips manufacture chips for all that other crap too, meaning GPUs have to compete with consumer electronics and automobiles for the already-reduced global silicon manufacturing capacity
  • And finally cryptocurrency mania means prospective entrepreneurs buy up dozens at once to run their own mining farms (usually only profitable if they can steal electricity)

All of these except the last one are definitely temporary and will definitely clear up sooner or later.
As vaccine distribution bring the pandemic under control, silicon fabs will be able to work faster, people (at least non-goon people) will leave their houses and reduce the demand for new electronic gizmos, and GPUs and PS5s will become a lot more numerous and a lot easier to get ahold of. The bitcoin scalpers probably won't go away anytime soon, so prices won't return to exactly what they used to be, but that's just one factor of the problem and we should still see a significant improvement.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Prosecute scalpers and jail bitcoiners.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

just gonna run this electronic device nonstop for months and months at full power to make money without doing anything functionally useful to anybody, like a horrible shameless psychopath

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

itry posted:

Prosecute scalpers and jail bitcoiners.

I can get on board with this.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Scalp prosecutors and jail bitcoiners

itry
Aug 23, 2019

If your basement's energy consumption is the equivalent of a small country club you deserve to be exiled to Sea Lion Island (or somewhere more remote). You can tell the local wildlife all about your mining rigs and how bitcoin is the future of finance.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

The Sony Play Station 2 home computer system was the first "modern" home computer video game console so yeah they're right. (It would've been the Sony Play Station but that didn't originally come with a modern controller so no.)

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

PS2 was the first "modern" game console because it was the first multimedia system.

I'm pretty sure my older sister bought a PS2 with money from her first job just because it could play games and DVDs

And I continued that tradition when I got a PS3 just so I could play new games and Blu rays

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Caesar Saladin posted:

just gonna run this electronic device nonstop for months and months at full power to make money without doing anything functionally useful to anybody, like a horrible shameless psychopath

what til you hear about landlords :ssh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PinheadSlim posted:

PS2 was the first "modern" game console because it was the first multimedia system.

I'm pretty sure my older sister bought a PS2 with money from her first job just because it could play games and DVDs

And I continued that tradition when I got a PS3 just so I could play new games and Blu rays

My folks got the PS2 over the Gamecube I wanted basically because it was a great deal since DVD players at the time cost the same but didn't play games. (they ended up getting a hybrid VHS/DVD player later iirc, after months of fighting over the PS2 for games or movies)

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i love pretty much all video games, i just love playing games, video games are amazing

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Collapsing Farts posted:

china is cracking down on bitcoins so maybe?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

The Dreamcast came out five years after the PS1, so I assume you're saying the SNES and PS1 were the same generation since they were only three years apart.

Console generations are bullshit and based solely around how the platforms were marketed in the US rather than when they were actually designed and manufactured. On top of that, until the late-90's there was a new console or two every year. There's no clean breaks unless you basically ignore everybody except a handful of manufacturers and even then only if you look at when they started selling their systems in the US.

PinheadSlim posted:

Nintendo loving sucks at controllers lol

It's tradition at this point. The original Famicom had controllers hardwired into the system and the buttons were terrible because they were spongy so they got stuck all the time.

At least there, Nintendo corrected by changing the controller design in the first year of the system's life and changing the system design for the US so they weren't hard wired in.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 14:20 on May 30, 2021

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

ilmucche posted:

Pretty cool to have game commentary in there

Every play in the game had commentary? I can’t believe it!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

veni veni veni posted:

Actually kinda impressed a Genesis game managed to pull off commentary like that

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

site posted:

Actually kinda impressed a Genesis game managed to pull off commentary like that

I can't believe it, either.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Caesar Saladin posted:

i love pretty much all video games, i just love playing games, video games are amazing

I'm afraid you will find if you pounder the matter that they, suck and are dumb

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I'm afraid you will find if you pounder the matter that they, suck and are dumb

Baby are you a video game?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

I like my girls like I like my video game’s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

In early access?