Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
You can easily and quickly tell if any ship is in your "inventory" by using the "Change ship" submenu in the quick menu. You can see all your ships there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is there any way to trigger a crashed freighter? I’m doing this expedition, and I’m used to tripping across them all the time. Now I need one and I’m investigating call after call and they’re all just crashed shuttles.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
You don't need to travel out to each signal before seaching for another one-- for this expedition (for both "finding a distress signal" and "finding a crashed freighter") I just stacked up like 20 emergency charts, manually saved, and blew all of them at once. Even if they start spitting out "Nothing found" it doesn't mean that there isn't anything to be found (I don't know if they just randomly have a chance to find nothing, or they decide "which signal I'm going to give you" first and then return nothing if there's none of that signal type nearby), so just keep blowing them until you find the "Crashed Freighter" beacon and reload and try again if you don't find anything at all.

I think some of the exocraft have "search for crashed freighter" explicitly as well, but the range on that is significantly smaller since it's searching in a range of "places you could actually get to in an sane period of time in the exocraft" so you're doing a lot more lifting/landing/resummoning/retrying on those.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Trade navigation data at a space station for a Planetary Chart (distress signal), fly down onto a planet, exit your ship so it auto-saves, use the planetary chart.

If it locks in on a crashed freighter, you're golden. If not then reload and try again, you'll get one eventually!

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
Or just get lucky like me and literally see a crashed freighter on the horizon from your ship site on the starting planet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Also I’m not entirely sure how MP bases works in regards to the space station portals but tons and I mean tons of people build and set stations around freighters and all the expedition planets.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
You just click "other bases" in the portal filter list and you can see uploaded ones

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

fast cars loose anus posted:

You just click "other bases" in the portal filter list and you can see uploaded ones

Oh I hadn’t thought about this, that’s a good option. I’ll look at the options next time I’m on a space station.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

If you’re playing on the Xbox One I would be careful upgrading your launch thrusters too much because you’ll boost faster than the game can load. You might end up at a facility you mapped and spend a minute just waiting for the building to appear. This can happen somewhat with maxing out movement modules in your exosuit too but not as dramatically.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Working my way through this expedition. Finding unexplored systems is now impossible. :/

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

DelphiAegis posted:

Portals have some specific logic around them to ensure a player can't encase it in a structure, even if thst structure is large. Basically it's fine for the player that built it, but for anyone else it won't load any structure objects at all.

Goddamn it what

Hours of my time, wasted :mad:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

Portals have some specific logic around them to ensure a player can't encase it in a structure, even if thst structure is large. Basically it's fine for the player that built it, but for anyone else it won't load any structure objects at all.

was this recently implemented? ive definitely seen other players build structures around the portal on the main galactic hub planet in creative mode

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The_Doctor posted:

Working my way through this expedition. Finding unexplored systems is now impossible. :/

Beef up your hyperdrive and start jumping away from the core, is the best option outside of having the luck to be disconnected from the online discovery network

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Once you've done the other objectives stuff yourself inside a black hole.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Angry_Ed posted:

Beef up your hyperdrive and start jumping away from the core, is the best option outside of having the luck to be disconnected from the online discovery network

I ended up getting far enough away (absolutely pushing the limits of the jumps each time) and I’ve started finding first contact systems again. :toot:

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
A tip for if you need future discoveries in other expeditions, especially if they're just handing out nanites 1000 at a time for early things, 3 hyperdrive upgrades will get you to unexplored systems off the path really fast and save you a ton of fuel as well. 6 is of course even better but 3 stacked together should get you to like 1200 LY even in a fighter

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

fast cars loose anus posted:

A tip for if you need future discoveries in other expeditions, especially if they're just handing out nanites 1000 at a time for early things, 3 hyperdrive upgrades will get you to unexplored systems off the path really fast and save you a ton of fuel as well. 6 is of course even better but 3 stacked together should get you to like 1200 LY even in a fighter
FYI for anyone else looking... the 4th rendezvous has S-class hyperdrive modules in the space station. Just buy one, hop in and out of your ship then reload autosave to buy another one. I did that and got 1000-1200ly range and jumped away from everyone for the mission to find 10 systems.

Beet posted:

Or just get lucky like me and literally see a crashed freighter on the horizon from your ship site on the starting planet.

This is how it went for me too. I was heading straight toward a planet to land on it and the part of land I was heading toward ended up being a crashed freighter. I also ended up getting sent to several more when I was trying to find a drat crashed ship with a pilot for that challenge. I ended up doing the Nexus workaround for that one.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
If starting a new game is there any reason *not* to start in the expedition? Does it feel super pressured or can you just have a chill time anyway and have a bit of a different experience? I like NMS to be very laid back.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

HopperUK posted:

If starting a new game is there any reason *not* to start in the expedition? Does it feel super pressured or can you just have a chill time anyway and have a bit of a different experience? I like NMS to be very laid back.

I’d just start in the expedition. It’s a quick way to get set up with all the essentials and poo poo

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Yeah once you know the basic basics of the game which means "If I dropped you in a normal game with no tutorials could you get to your ship" then just start an expedition cause between what you start with and the rewards from goals you get a nice ol' head start

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I picked this up again last night and in like the 20 hours since this thing has crashed a half-dozen times :mad: is there any obvious troubleshooting? It tends to lock up most when I'm getting on my ship after warping my freighter to a new system - game just hard-freezes.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004

Mandrel posted:

I’d just start in the expedition. It’s a quick way to get set up with all the essentials and poo poo

I started playing again after a few years away. I put in an hour in a new game to remember how to play then started the expedition. I finished it after 8:27 of in-game time - but only after reading about the "disconnect from the internet to find unexplored systems" trick.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Ciaphas posted:

I picked this up again last night and in like the 20 hours since this thing has crashed a half-dozen times :mad: is there any obvious troubleshooting? It tends to lock up most when I'm getting on my ship after warping my freighter to a new system - game just hard-freezes.

Aside from toggling multiplayer to get past the initial crashes when the expedition starts I've never found any setting that "fixed" random crashes. They seem to happen frequently with each major release then get smoothed out over time before the next big release breaks the game again.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

5er posted:

Until the last module left is apparently stuck inside of a large noclip structure that can't be tunneled into or destroyed.

Well played, hello games, you loving filthy pieces of poo poo.

As long as you're well clear of the blast radius you can huck geology cannon shots in its general direction and hope to crack it open. The contact fuse makes them better fit for purpose than the plasma launcher.

Exodor
Oct 1, 2004
The current expedition ends tomorrow. Do they typically start the next one as soon as the previous ends or is there a gap before the next one starts?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Expedition ends today! I just logged in and got told I have 51 minutes to complete the expedition so I’m probably not gonna get that as I’m only on phase 4.

I thought I’d have until midnight. :smith:

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

The_Doctor posted:

Expedition ends today! I just logged in and got told I have 51 minutes to complete the expedition so I’m probably not gonna get that as I’m only on phase 4.

I thought I’d have until midnight. :smith:

Same here, couldn't play over the week-end, so I'm late and I can't complete it in time. That sucks, I really liked the Normandy.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Furism posted:

Same here, couldn't play over the week-end, so I'm late and I can't complete it in time. That sucks, I really liked the Normandy.

Same :/ I ran out of time while trying to get quicksilver to buy a beacon. :/

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I got almost all the way through p4 and got the fifth rendezvous, but that's as far as I got. Drat. I really like the look of the Normandy

FOMO :smith:

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

can it be save edited in? I haven't played since expeditions became a thing and am wondering if I can just unlock these anyway.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

forest spirit posted:

can it be save edited in? I haven't played since expeditions became a thing and am wondering if I can just unlock these anyway.
try this, but I haven't tried it myself

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Weirdly, the expedition tab came back, and let me mark everything complete, saying I got the Normandy, banner, etc. It also says I completed 4/5 phases. If I go to the quicksilver droid, it says I’ve claimed them, and I can use the Normandy banner on my character, but the Normandy frigate doesn’t show up in my fleet roster. :iiam:

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
playing for first time in like 3 years to get the normandy (and got it) from the expedition. that was pretty fun.

back into regular game grinding and it's less fun, but i logged into an old save and found i had this ship

is this... hacked or something? no idea how i got it but i could have sworn exotic ships had like 20 slots max.

anyway i found an experimental s class pistol on my expedition save and thats pretty fun and neat

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!

Tabletops posted:

is this... hacked or something? no idea how i got it but i could have sworn exotic ships had like 20 slots max.

They used to only get to that large back in the day, but you can expand ship size and even increase it's class in the space station now.

Note: Increasing an exotic to be a max sized ship takes literally billions of dollars, but it can be made cheaper by finding and scraping other ships and using the ship expansion modules to increase it's size for free.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Solvency posted:

They used to only get to that large back in the day, but you can expand ship size and even increase it's class in the space station now.

Note: Increasing an exotic to be a max sized ship takes literally billions of dollars, but it can be made cheaper by finding and scraping other ships and using the ship expansion modules to increase it's size for free.

On the topic of expansion costs it'd be cool if upgrade costs were based on paid upgrades. It just feels like a silly system mastery trap "don't use inventory upgrades or beacons until AFTER you've bought the 2 upgrades per star system"
It doesn't matter as much once you get going and know the game but just feels like a gotcha for newer players.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

The escalating cost of daily freighter upgrades is also dumb. This is why everyone should embrace the Activated Indium Lifestyle and free themselves from the shackles of monetary limitations.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
What is the activated indium lifestyle? I ran into a system earlier and all the planets had it. What’s the difference between activated and non activated metals?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Activated are useless for crafting (other than some refining recipes that don't matter) and sell for a lot of credits so all you have to do is set up a mining operation and come back occasionally for free money. Activated Indium sells for the most.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Activated makes a lot of Chromatic Metal when you refine it but other than that it's worth a lot more money than the regular metals that you can actually craft with. Actviated Indium is the highest tier of metal and has the most worth, so you set up a mining station on a planet to harvest it at scale then collect it every time you log in and dump it into the nearest market terminal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

I'm never going to stop linking my post-nerf AI farm because while it's painfully inefficient compared to later discovered glitch building tech, it's so overengineered that I love my 1.5b/day monstrosity.

There's so many of them now that you're better off just hitting up NMSCE and snagging from as many farms as you want. Aside from the corner cases of grinding out freighter slots in a day, or grinding up an entirely new ship in one go, you'll never see your money dented once you've capped.

Next time I'm in between games, and assuming they manage to get the game to crash way less frequently, I'll see if I can glitch build a much more efficient and less visibly nightmarish one. Unfortunately my dream of a one-stop cap generator was dashed by the 3k part base upload limit. You'd need over 4500 supply depots to hold that much and even in a really good S-class spot with tight configuration you'd need over 350 extractors in groups of seven. Add in all the complicated wiring and power and you're looking at over 6k parts. Oh, and 453 inventory slots to carry it... but the point of building this stuff isn't practicality. :v: