Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

euphronius posted:

If you aren’t pressing anything when you get close I think it lands on its own

Only if you aren’t on an approach vector going 1000 m/s!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bhodi posted:

You should be able to shift click a building, then hit grave (`), then paste the building

Oh, I thought that was a typo in the post, thanks lol.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SettingSun posted:

Only if you aren’t on an approach vector going 1000 m/s!

The coward's way. Though I haven't gotten up that high on speed on this run yet, mostly on account of not having the fuel for it.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
I know we've all posted about it dozens of times, but crash landing into the planet at 2km/s as a Kerbal player is always fun and good and wholesome

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Grevlek posted:

I know we've all posted about it dozens of times, but crash landing into the planet at 2km/s as a Kerbal player is always fun and good and wholesome

Lithobraking is very fuel efficient.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh thank god

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Nice, I didn't realize the foundation colors are completely RGB customizable. Now if only we can colorize the Icarus itself.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Starting a new game with the update. Looking to settle on some goofy looking worlds

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

:thunk:

(Also there's a new free foundation mod out, if you want to get rid of the worst mechanic in the game)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

zoux posted:

:thunk:

(Also there's a new free foundation mod out, if you want to get rid of the worst mechanic in the game)

Link to the foundation mod? A must have in my opinion.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://dsp.thunderstore.io/package/Hotte/FreeFoundations/

The only thing it lacks relative to the old one is it still has a 10x10 grid limit.

https://dsp.thunderstore.io/package/dkoppstein/FastDrones/

Also linking this other, imo, must-have mod. It may feel like cheating but you'll use it for five minutes and be like "oh, this is so much better than watching my dumbass drones take a week to lay this very long belt"

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

zoux posted:

https://dsp.thunderstore.io/package/Hotte/FreeFoundations/

The only thing it lacks relative to the old one is it still has a 10x10 grid limit.

https://dsp.thunderstore.io/package/dkoppstein/FastDrones/

Also linking this other, imo, must-have mod. It may feel like cheating but you'll use it for five minutes and be like "oh, this is so much better than watching my dumbass drones take a week to lay this very long belt"

Thanks!!! The 10x10 limit is not an issue for me, just happy to have it because in game foundations are simply stupid.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can we talk hydrogen managment

Since thermals burn fuel proportional to power draw, when you have a huge generation surplus they barely burn poo poo, so do you have to stay teetering on the edges of capacity to ensure your waste hydrogen gets disposed of or what? Is there a min draw so that if you build enough thermal plants, it'll burn enough? Right now I'm doing the delete tanks thing but I don't like that.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
I haven't played in a while, but I stockpiled hydrogen because you need a lot of it later on. I built zero thermal plants my last play through.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zoux posted:

Can we talk hydrogen managment

Since thermals burn fuel proportional to power draw, when you have a huge generation surplus they barely burn poo poo, so do you have to stay teetering on the edges of capacity to ensure your waste hydrogen gets disposed of or what? Is there a min draw so that if you build enough thermal plants, it'll burn enough? Right now I'm doing the delete tanks thing but I don't like that.

Casimir crystals. As soon as you hit those you'll need everything you have and then some. For now I just use hydrogen to feed research, hydrogen fuel rods for the mech (just got deuteron and haven't gotten it up and running yet - prioritized the ILS), and to cycle through X-ray cracking to feed research even more. Don't have issues with jamming currently, and as soon as casimir enters the picture I never will again.

Worst case, run your excess to a fractionator loop or multiple to build up a deuterium supply for now or later.

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica
I'm not really sure waste hydrogen is going to be a thing anymore: every drop of oil is precious now, so you're very much better off just tanking it more and more than just burning it off.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I assure you it is still a thing

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

I'm baffled on how. What does your hydrogen production look like and what are you using it for?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

zoux posted:

I assure you it is still a thing

As mentioned above you need a lot of hydrogen for crystals. Stockpile it to kick off crystal production when you get there.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

There's a developmental period where, if the player hasn't set up the fuel feeds to their thermal plants to prioritize burning off refinery by-products, it's easy to be consuming more refined oil to make poo poo than you are hydrogen to learn poo poo. Especially if you're filling up buffers somewhere.

What you want to do, is rush gas giant collectors as hard as possible, because once you have those and a single assembler working constantly on freighters your hydrogen throughput is limited by the number of interplanetary towers you feel like slapping down. Now that shift-clicking towers copies all of their orders over as well, you can even skip the clicks needed to set and demand hydrogen!

Also, and I'm not sure why I never tried this before last night, but I determined that thermal plants will burn hydrogen fuel rods. I figured I should post it, in case there are other Dyson Sphere goons who are equally clueless ~

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SkyeAuroline posted:

I'm baffled on how. What does your hydrogen production look like and what are you using it for?

Refined oil for plastic, acid, organic crystals and advanced graphene recipe

The only thing I'm using H for is deuteron rods and science

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 2, 2021

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
As mentioned, casimir crystals will suck it down. Every assembler making crystals will use 3 H/s.

Edit: it seems like I always end up building about 20 tanks to store it in the interim.

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica

LonsomeSon posted:

There's a developmental period where, if the player hasn't set up the fuel feeds to their thermal plants to prioritize burning off refinery by-products, it's easy to be consuming more refined oil to make poo poo than you are hydrogen to learn poo poo. Especially if you're filling up buffers somewhere.

What you want to do, is rush gas giant collectors as hard as possible, because once you have those and a single assembler working constantly on freighters your hydrogen throughput is limited by the number of interplanetary towers you feel like slapping down. Now that shift-clicking towers copies all of their orders over as well, you can even skip the clicks needed to set and demand hydrogen!

Also, and I'm not sure why I never tried this before last night, but I determined that thermal plants will burn hydrogen fuel rods. I figured I should post it, in case there are other Dyson Sphere goons who are equally clueless ~

They actually changed the fuel values on the fuel rods so that the fuel rods give you more run time (after adjusting for the efficiency penalty) than just burning the equivalent hydrogen, since before they were the same and thus you were just wasting titanium burning the rods in plants.

Not that anyone is going to burn oil products for power load anymore, but hey.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m not really feeling like oil is scarce. I just started mass producing green science.

So far I’ve only tapped five seeps on the home planet which started as 50 oil/s. Maybe it’s luck of the seed but I’ve already found two planets within 5 LY that have oil at 80/s.

the moose
Nov 7, 2009

Type: Electric Swing
Is the oil draw down per well or global?

Also when do I get to travel to other stars? Im Just about done with yellow science and still just bouncing back and forth in my home system. Also is there any major need to travel outside of the home system?

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR

the moose posted:

Also when do I get to travel to other stars? Im Just about done with yellow science and still just bouncing back and forth in my home system. Also is there any major need to travel outside of the home system?

Biggest benefit of other systems is to get access to rare resources, that allow you to use alternate recipes and simplify your production lines. I'm sure you could build a Dyson sphere without leaving your own star system but it'd be a real grind.

You can create warpers during the purple science phase from memory.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The real reason you should visit other star systems is that it's rad as hell to explore all the cool planet types that exist out there.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

the moose posted:

You should be able to begin making warpers by now if you've finished up all yellow science stuff. It's more cost effective to do them from green science though. In addition to rare resources, you're eventually going to run out of titanium/silicon (and laaater down the line copper and iron) so setting up outposts before that happens kinda needs to happen.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

From the experience of my current game - leapfrogging to ILSes without having a clear plan to move everything to it and building everything with the plan of "oh I'll just tear it down anyway"? Less than ideal.

Bonus points that my home planet, the only one with sufficient power infrastructure to support manufacturing right now, is some 60% water. Time to set up a solar panel factory on silicon planet I guess.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
I've started to bail from the startworld as soon as I can build a few ILS. Set up some water/oil extractors and then decamp to one of the other planets that has more than 50% build space and no biome I feel bad destroying. Probably not optimal, but it saves me having to pave a planet

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The middle planet in my home system is a new type: a Stone Hurricane planet. 100% construction area, large amounts of everything but coal, 150% wind power. I like this planet.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

the moose posted:

The big thing is for rare resources:

- Sulfuric acid oceans make anything requiring sulfuric acid so drat easy - especially now that oil is more limited.
- Fire ice is an easy source of graphene (and hydrogen too)
- Organic crystal deposits again bypass the need for using oil to make yellow cubes

You can see that the above three (plus gas-giant hydrogen/deuterium) basically eliminate the need for refining oil except as a source for plastic.

- Unipolar magnets reduce the need for crazy amounts of green motors when making particle containers (which are used for warpers/graviton lenses)

The other rare resources aren't as useful, and are more for either a bit more efficient production, or to replace some other rare resource (like optical grating crystals allow you to produce Casimir Crystals without organic crystals or titanium, but don't greatly help if you have access to those two).

Other systems also just have much bigger deposits of the basics, so you can set up mining stations that will last a lot longer than anything in your home system.

You can unlock interstellar travel once you have yellow science. You need to research the Gravitational Wave Reflection technology (to allow you to make warpers) + the Drive Engine 4 upgrade. You probably also want Interstellar Logistics System (because not much point without being able to ship things back and forth). Finally, it's not strictly necessary, but Purple science will help since it is needed to unlock Universe Exploration 3 - which lets you see what resources are in systems close by - otherwise you need to check them out personally.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 3, 2021

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

the moose posted:

It’s per well.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

PoultryGeist posted:

I've started to bail from the startworld as soon as I can build a few ILS. Set up some water/oil extractors and then decamp to one of the other planets that has more than 50% build space and no biome I feel bad destroying. Probably not optimal, but it saves me having to pave a planet

I'm likely to do the same. Just don't have the power infrastructure elsewhere to do it yet - got most of a solar and wind belt (solar belt with wind turbines in the very center, it... doesn't interact well with the multibuild at all) to wrap around though only a layer wide for most of it on the home world, but my titanium and silicon mines are both just running off ~25 wind turbines each. Solar panel factory and some real solar belts, without wind power in the equation, are gonna be real necessary to make any moves. Don't have deuterium infrastructure to run on fusion currently.

Biggest obstacle to spreading my towers across planets is a lack of material for the shuttles. Because of "oh I'll just tear it down later" lack of planning, I'm still having to manually feed sulfuric acid to my titanium alloy plant & both materials for titanium crystals to yellow science. So much poo poo I need to move to the network but such a lack of towers and tower material to do it with, even PLS.

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica
I've found Unipolar Magnets are kind of a trap: they're too rare to be useful. In my games so far, my blacks and neutron stars each only ever had one planet with on unipolar vein each on them. Once you scale to a certain point, that's just not enough production, and unless you're on infinite they run out sooner or later and you have to painfully switch back to massive green motor production anyway. In addition, if you spawn the worlds they're on close to start, they don't really last long due to the resource amount scaling.

I only ended up using them to make the containers for something lower demand like antimatter rods, and now that they're required for tier 2 smelters, there's even more of a disincentive to use them in particle containers.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

You can make the unipolar magnets go a long way by waiting to tap them until you get a bunch of vein utilization tech.

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
I ran power off of coal for a fair bit setting up my desert factory world. I think it helped that I tend to do staged builds, where I set up just a few buildings at a time in the beginning and come back and expand out later. Was going fairly well until the measly 500k silicon in my starter system ran out. Now it's time to up my interstellar throughput enough to sustain my processor factories

Pyre File
May 24, 2021

by Pragmatica

SettingSun posted:

You can make the unipolar magnets go a long way by waiting to tap them until you get a bunch of vein utilization tech.

But at that point, I'd have built massive green motor factories anyway, and iron and copper ore are way easier to source and scale up for.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Pyre File posted:

But at that point, I'd have built massive green motor factories anyway, and iron and copper ore are way easier to source and scale up for.

Don't forget the new tier 2 smelters use unipolar without a substitute, if you care about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.
I'm surprised they made unipolar magnets required for tier 2 smelters- this is the only rare resource (aside from oil derivatives) that has the only method of producing something, and I know in my next game I'll be holding them exclusively for the smelters.