Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Buschmaki posted:

I like the protagonist being the Deserter because it ties into the themes of holding onto the past being what destroys people.

Very much this. The ending ties things together more on a thematic/metaphorical level than really worrying about closing up a detective story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

How do I talk to klassje after the first time? Her hotel door is locked, she doesn't answer, and I can see her smoking on the roof but can't get there.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm on Thursday morning and seem to have run out of tasks to do. Got something I can do in the evening but everything else I'm locked out of according to guides. Can you lock yourself out of talking to Klassje?

Almosthere
Mar 9, 2006
If you mean after the very first time in the beginning when you wake up then you just haven't gotten far along yet in your investigation.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'm on Thursday morning and seem to have run out of tasks to do. Got something I can do in the evening but everything else I'm locked out of according to guides. Can you lock yourself out of talking to Klassje?

Have you talked to Titus Hardy and his Boys?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

christmas boots posted:

Have you talked to Titus Hardy and his Boys?

Yeah the only thing left is the authority check which is at 3%. At 10pm I can become a full commie if that means anything, but skipping until then seems like a waste of a day?

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

There's no time limit, so you can't really "waste" a day. And I'm pretty sure that authority check is the way forward (and you don't necessarily have to pass it, that check in particular has ways to continue even if you fail it, I think).

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Assuming that is the check I think it is, if you fail it then Kim will use his limitless authority and do it for you and youll get past it.

Khizan fucked around with this message at 10:15 on May 29, 2021

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Yeah the only thing left is the authority check which is at 3%. At 10pm I can become a full commie if that means anything, but skipping until then seems like a waste of a day?

You have to go for that check

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

If you do fail the check, one thing I missed is there are multiple responses (the text window did not scroll down for me). Save up some skill points, save your game before blowing them all (also consider things you might do to boost your result) and after a failure or two a new option appears at the bottom.

For hints on stuff that helps : Ask Evrart to tell them to play nice. Speak to the smoker in the apartments (you can talk to (some) people on balconies you can't reach). Talk to Joyce so you can a) tell Titus and his boys about the tribunal, and b) if you speak with her before finding your badge, solve the truck driver stuff and throw the result of that in Titus' face too.

It's possibly to never touch the body, but you do have to actually work on the case.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hobocop doesn't mean you have to literally sleep in the dumpster.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

So you can't buy back stuff from the pawn shop right? Seems I've hosed myself on a side story. This game has some odd game mechanic choices.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

So you can't buy back stuff from the pawn shop right? Seems I've hosed myself on a side story. This game has some odd game mechanic choices.

Not as far as I know. The only thing that's 'task' required I can think of off-hand is spherical. The shot putt ball, which doesn't unlock dialogue really
Oh, and something from the other side of the canal. Can of heavy fuel oil.

If you pawned something in the shape of a cube, it's not the one you need for the side story.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

DE is my GOAT but I wont disagree that there are some not-great design choices. Its not the mechanics that make disco a great game, its the writing

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Tylana posted:

Not as far as I know. The only thing that's 'task' required I can think of off-hand is spherical. The shot putt ball, which doesn't unlock dialogue really
Oh, and something from the other side of the canal. Can of heavy fuel oil.

If you pawned something in the shape of a cube, it's not the one you need for the side story.

I sold the can of heavy fuel oil. :( just so I could afford to buy dice, which didn't go anywhere.

Now I've got another full day of nothing that I can do but pass time reading. But I've read every book I could find/afford to buy.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
Have you done everything out west? I burned so much time on my first run in the tent trying to solve Egghead's HARDCORE tree

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

I sold the can of heavy fuel oil. :( just so I could afford to buy dice, which didn't go anywhere.

Dice + the headless figurine will come in handy toward the end, so its not a total loss.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Now I've got another full day of nothing that I can do but pass time reading. But I've read every book I could find/afford to buy.

You can re-read books for time, but if you are past day 3 not much is likely to open up. Also, do your investigation. Fail at checks. Spend points to retry them. Keep some saves.

And the thing you sold while it helps a few check and is fun, is not a story chain or anything. Just a small thing.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I stand by the opinion that you shouldn't make middling builds but you should treat two stats as dump stats and pump up the others.

Commit to an archetype wholesale.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Edit: I am wrong

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 30, 2021

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

GlyphGryph posted:

The dice unlock every failed white check in the game for another try so it should have at least given you more things to do

Not every. A fixed set based on which dice you get. IIRC anyway, not seen anyone who has dug into the json files to check so could be wrong.

Tylana fucked around with this message at 15:52 on May 29, 2021

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bob Socko posted:

Dice + the headless figurine will come in handy toward the end, so its not a total loss.

Yes, the figurine really works wonders. :(

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wow I really misunderstood how the dice worked hah, sorry

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Watching Woolie and Reggie flub on Evrart badly is the visual equivalent of nails on chalkboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCd78w69zrw

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Wow the game just crashed on me while saving and I lost over two hours of playing time, including a critical check that was really low odds. I'm intrigued by the story but it's basically daring me to give up on it at this point. I've had way more technical issues with this game than any other, including cyberpunk. (PS5)

Edit: yeah I'm done. I'm not doing all that again. I barely get two hours of playing time per week and only did today because Melbourne is in strict lockdown again. Wish I could get a refund.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 30, 2021

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

its happened here too. console version is a little rickety. the auto save function is really odd too. it happens randomly? Game is still goated, but if it ran flawlessly it would just make it perfect

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Watching Woolie and Reggie flub on Evrart badly is the visual equivalent of nails on chalkboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCd78w69zrw

"I'm going to just cut through this man's bullshit"

*flails helplessly against Evrart's bullshit*

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you tell Evrart you don't need his help to get your gun, does that just deadend every way to get it or can you go back and beg for his help to continue down the pig quest.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you tell Evrart you don't need his help to get your gun, does that just deadend every way to get it or can you go back and beg for his help to continue down the pig quest.
You can. I don't think there are any points at which "I won't do this" genuinely closes off an avenue. Even "I won't steal the boots" is something you can go back on instantly.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think you can go back and revisit the convo with him but he is your only way of getting it back. Thankfully you don't actually need your gun to finish the game

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you tell Evrart you don't need his help to get your gun, does that just deadend every way to get it or can you go back and beg for his help to continue

The Woolie video notes that it does 'complete' the task so it might be a rare case that blocks it. A while back someone had issues with being unambitious the task to collect piece(s) of a set ending because they had one so they didn't seem to be able to ask the questions to get others. But that might have just been Final Cut being weird.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Oh, this reminded me something about my playthrough.
I took care to never tell that I lost my gun to the policemen at my station and yet in the very end he still asked if I had found my gun.
What's up with that?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Pretty sure you can't lock yourself out of getting your gun back so don't worry about it. You're meant to fail that conversation there's really no way you can gently caress it up harder.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

cumshitter posted:

Pretty sure you can't lock yourself out of getting your gun back so don't worry about it. You're meant to fail that conversation there's really no way you can gently caress it up harder.
Unless you roll your lucky pain threshold and composure checks in which case you shrug it off.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Grouchio posted:

Unless you roll your lucky pain threshold and composure checks in which case you shrug it off.

It's also possible to just stare him down and refuse to sit in the chair to begin with, with a Volition check I think.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

that scene if you refuse to sit and fail and just bumble your way through it and the conversation with the woman out front of the bookstore about her missing (?) husband are the best instances of awkward humour working in video game format. 🐐🐐🐐

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

MechaSeinfeld posted:

that scene if you refuse to sit and fail and just bumble your way through it and the conversation with the woman out front of the bookstore about her missing (?) husband are the best instances of awkward humour working in video game format. 🐐🐐🐐

It's a great bit but the ending is sad. I haven't played a ghost run, if you keep talking up paranormal stuff does it factor into it when you follow up with her later?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lucking out on pointless checks is fun, like succeeding on 8% to lift the weights in the abandoned gym.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Lucking out on pointless checks is fun, like succeeding on 8% to lift the weights in the abandoned gym.

It actually gives you a buff to fighting Measurehead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm supposed to meet someone at 10PM to get my gun back, turned up at 10.01 cause I figured there's no way to time things exact in this game so they would be there but I can't find anyone, do I need to be in that exact spot at 9 and read a book to pass time or something