Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

iirc theres an open-source modernization of Q2 for free on steam if you have the original install

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I wonder if people still play Action Quake 2 in 2021.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

OMGVBFLOL posted:

sure, but they weren't sprites, which at the time was cool

although i think the first quake did that first

Nope, Q1 uses sprites with particles. The particle system may have been completely novel in Q1 (at least for an FPS).

Volte posted:

Quake 2 took up most of my time in 1998 but I've still never played past the first couple of levels of the single player campaign. Maybe I should play through it one of these days. Last time I played it, I didn't have a 3D accelerator so I missed out on all the coloured lighting. Now I don't have an RTX card so I'm still missing out on the latest bells and whistles that Quake 2 has to offer. :argh:

From what I’ve seen the RTX stuff looks worse overall. It’s an interesting tech demo, but replacing all the hand-placed lighting with realistic light sources in maps that were never designed for it is pretty hit and miss. Occasionally it accidentally looks cool, but in all the comparison videos I’ve seen the original has way more atmosphere.

The ideal would be to use the original light sources that the mapper placed and just render everything real-time, but I don’t believe that info is available on the shipped maps. I believe it is for at least the first episode of Quake 1 because Romero released the map source code.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I played way more Quake 2 mods than the actual game itself.

Anyone remember Gloom?

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

Pennsylvanian posted:

It's pretty much become the common opinion on Quake 2 by now.

I still love Quake 2, I played through it with Yamagi again just few months ago. Not a big fan of the mission packs though. I have fond memories of Daikatana too but I haven't played that since it was newish. I know I beat at at least twice since I did a mostly-guns run and a sword-only-whenever-possible run.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Vakal posted:

I played way more Quake 2 mods than the actual game itself.

Anyone remember Gloom?

Pretty much my life for any of the Quake/unreal games.

QWTF, Future vs Fantasy, Action Quake, Weapons Factory, AirQuake and so many more.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Action Quake 2 and Gloom had pretty long legs too, they were both getting regular play into the late 2000's but I'm not sure how much longer it lasted past that. More recently (and by recently I guess I mean like 10 years ago) I really loved Coop or Die, particularly the challenge mode that imposed permadeath, forcing you to restart the entire game if you died at any point. I made it depressingly far before eating a surprise Iron Maiden rocket, and thinking back it's surprising how fond my memories of those attempts are considering how dull I think Quake2 is overall. It also included an online scoring system and mixed up enemy & pickup spawns to catch you off guard, with the corpses of other players left around the maps that could hint toward nasty traps a bit like the Dark Souls games. I do wish all these systems and online infrastructure were in service of a better game but for some reason it just seems to fit so perfectly with Quake2.

e; my first post in this thread was about how rad I thought Coop or Die was and that was exactly 10 years ago almost to the day. What the hell have I been doing with my life

treat fucked around with this message at 04:07 on May 30, 2021

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
I remember having played Quake 2, but I have zero memory of any defining moment, level, encounter, or setpiece. Just a whole lot of running through factories and angry robots saying TRES PAS SER

And that secret area right before (or after) the final boss with all the developer portraits. That's the only part of Q2 that sticks in my mind.

Gloom was great though

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
If there was a mod that added muzzle flashes + shell casings to the Q2 guns I would give it another go.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Gloom got succeeded by Tremulous which has been succeeded by Unvanquished.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
even at the time, the mod scene for quake 2 was a bit lackluster compared to quake 1 wasn't it?

I seem to remember half life ended up stealing that show pretty quickly when it came out

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
hl1 mods as a whole are more important imo than hl1 ittself

Bishopvi
Nov 12, 2003

And then he gives me a smile that just seems so genuinely sweet with just the right touch of shyness that unexpected warmth rushes through me.

Not Important posted:

I remember having played Quake 2, but I have zero memory of any defining moment, level, encounter, or setpiece. Just a whole lot of running through factories and angry robots saying TRES PAS SER

If I recall, a lot of review magazines were talking about how the human processing level was amazing/intense. Upon playing it last year, I didn't think it stood out that much. It is not a bad game, it just isn't a great one either.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

verbal enema posted:

hl1 mods as a whole are more important imo than hl1 ittself

I kinda agree.

As for legs, a lot of mods still have discord’s where people will set up games. I still play QWTF and Gldsrc multiplayer mods because of it. I wouldn’t be shocked if if gloom and AQ still have communities.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bishopvi posted:

If I recall, a lot of review magazines were talking about how the human processing level was amazing/intense. Upon playing it last year, I didn't think it stood out that much. It is not a bad game, it just isn't a great one either.

Maybe it doesn't stand out now, but at the time it was pretty unprecedented to walk through an area with minimal combat and a large number of scripted moments. Remember that this was still a year before Half-Life

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

All this Q2 talk is reminding me of being a preteen on a lovely DSL connection trying to get Heat.net working to play online after seeing the ads on TV. Jeez that was such a bad service.

Gamespy Arcade was leaps and bounds better

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Mordja posted:

Gloom got succeeded by Tremulous which has been succeeded by Unvanquished.

Is there any direct connection between these and Natural Selection?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

dishwasherlove posted:

I have Q2DM1 burnt into my brain. I even slogged through 4 player multiplayer with a multitap on the PS1 port late into the night.

Derek Alexander would like a word with you if you have a Playstation mouse (or was it a saturn mouse?)

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Kazvall posted:

Is there any direct connection between these and Natural Selection?

I've always heard of them as the inspirations for it.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
NS1 was some insane fun

NS2 aint too bad if you still got that itch idk about the current playerbase tho been awhile since i played

NS was always my lol brother's game he loved that poo poo

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I played an ungodly amount of the first game with my brother and his pals. FPS-RTS was a genre I always wanted to have more of. I didn't much care for the sequel. Glad Subnautica took off for them because I can't imagine NS2 was big enough to make up for them writing their own engine.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Derek Alexander would like a word with you if you have a Playstation mouse (or was it a saturn mouse?)

Hi I’m Derek and this is Derek and today we’re talking about Derek.

He’s done the PlayStation and Saturn mice I think. Last I saw he was playing Doom with a PS2 remote.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KxRXZhQuY8

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

The Kins posted:

Generally, while this thread focuses on the 90s/early 2000s style of FPSes and their recent resurgence, there's also some light discussion of the entire genre and its many shifts and schools of design over the last 29 years or so. It's pretty chill, people typically aren't stereotypical metal dorks slotting everything into rigid sub-sub-sub-genres around here. :)

https://twitter.com/DXFromYT/status/1398004486715678726

The prototypes from the video are available on TCRF: https://tcrf.net/Proto:Unreal

I remember that in one of the very late prototypes the game structure was a bit more like Quake 2 in the sense that there were hub areas you would return to rather than a purely linear level progression.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Arivia posted:

Hi I’m Derek and this is Derek and today we’re talking about Derek.

He’s done the PlayStation and Saturn mice I think. Last I saw he was playing Doom with a PS2 remote.

I absolutely loving love the crazy poo poo that he ends up doing for I really hope he gets his Quake 2 mouse fest going someday. :allears:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Man, Ashes is a really great mod with some outstanding level design. I was originally gonna wait until it was finished and I kind of regret not doing that because I blazed through it pretty quickly, and I'm guessing the modders will be backporting their upcoming gun upgrade system into Episode 1.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

Mordja posted:

Man, Ashes

Yeah I just played through it again the other day after someone mentioned it here. It's very good.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Groovelord Neato posted:

I played an ungodly amount of the first game with my brother and his pals. FPS-RTS was a genre I always wanted to have more of. I didn't much care for the sequel. Glad Subnautica took off for them because I can't imagine NS2 was big enough to make up for them writing their own engine.

I should really play battlezone 98 again

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Unreal had a really early thing where portals in maps could take you to other servers

It's such an obvious and neat idea but there were obvious issues, and not much of a real use case so I don't think it was used much for anything

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Bishopvi posted:

Quake 4 actually had a pretty neat sequence of your character getting transformed into a strog in first person. That was always kinda neat.

Really the whole "d-day, but on an alien planet of cyborgs" was a pretty cool premise. It's a shame q2 is unmemorable otherwise. Q4 could've been a great game in the right hands but it sort of fizzled out too.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tim Thomas posted:

I should really play battlezone 98 again

My lil kid mind was blown to bits when i installed that demo off a PCGamer disc

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Mordja posted:

Man, Ashes is a really great mod with some outstanding level design. I was originally gonna wait until it was finished and I kind of regret not doing that because I blazed through it pretty quickly, and I'm guessing the modders will be backporting their upcoming gun upgrade system into Episode 1.

Yeah, the maps in E1 blew me away first time I played it. Then I checked out the E2 demo and it was even better. I think I've played the first map in that demo like half a dozen times.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

shoeberto posted:

Quake 4 actually had a pretty neat sequence of your character getting transformed into a strog in first person. That was always kinda neat.

Really the whole "d-day, but on an alien planet of cyborgs" was a pretty cool premise. It's a shame q2 is unmemorable otherwise. Q4 could've been a great game in the right hands but it sort of fizzled out too.

Didn’t the game play different afterward too? I feel like you received an increase to health/armor and moved faster afterward.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

The only thing I remember from Quake 4 is the stroggification scene.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Didn’t the game play different afterward too? I feel like you received an increase to health/armor and moved faster afterward.

You did. You move super slow before that moment.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Groovelord Neato posted:

It's got some really lovely railshooting segments in the first hour from what I remember. And not much else aside from the stroggification part, which really doesn't change much wrt gameplay.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Groovelord Neato posted:

I remember the terrible sky boxes.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

UnknownMercenary posted:

It's got some really lovely railshooting segments in the first hour from what I remember. And not much else aside from the stroggification part, which really doesn't change much wrt gameplay.

It made it the character move at a reasonable speed rather than be gimped for the first few hours.:v:

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I think there was health regen too? Some other small gameplay tweaks. It wasn't a bad game, but in hindsight idtech 4 just was... not good for making games. If the same sort of game had been made in the same vein as the contemporary Call of Duties it might've been pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
What’s the best idtech 4 game? Prey? The Dark Mod? :cheeky: