Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009

Paradoxish posted:

It should have been Harry Kim that got his face stolen and then for the rest of the series it's just a Vidiian with Harry Kim's face and nobody cares

agreed but the vidiian gets promoted and even goes on a date with 7 of 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
They should've let the Vidiian doctor lady stay on board, maybe the Doctor would've mellowed out sooner

More Voyager spooky:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Voyager also aggressively debunked Neelix's afterlife which is more hilarious than spooky

Josh Christ
Dec 24, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Tighclops posted:

You can make the same argument about any other tools or technology with the potential to help people. What's your point?

You really can't but keep being super mad that people think god king Jeff bezos is a bad future I guess.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
But think how much more satisfying it'll be when some billionaire finally achieves their dream of eternal life, only to get hit by a bus and die anyway!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The laser grid from the first Resident Evil movie.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Epicurius posted:

I mean, Star Trek has traditionally been very much "Twilight Zone on a Spaceship", ever since TOS. The ship is put in some weird or dangerous situation and has to figure out how to get out.

This is a good descriptor of what has been missing in modern Trek. Hopefully the SNW guys get it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Who is the first criminal to get an immortal-life-sentence?

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Josh Christ posted:

You really can't but keep being super mad that people think god king Jeff bezos is a bad future I guess.

Blaming technologies for the actions of evil people is short sighted and stupid. Jeff Bezos is going to be your god king with or without immortality, spaceships or amazon and nothing's going to change that until we upend the entire system that put him there.

The riddle of steel, bitch

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Who is the first criminal to get an immortal-life-sentence?

Don't be silly, the laws will be changed to cap sentences at like 50 years. Of course, this doesn't help the poor (black) guys who were grandfathered in.

Immortality kinda requires a much better society to work, but that's also what Star Trek is about : luxury space communism (not gay unfortunately)

Speaking of Trill reassociation and gay, that episode was pretty hamfisted about the whole thing, and the ending was depressing. The moral seemed to be that you should just stay in the closet until a such time when society would accept your love. Also the bigots Had Some Good Points.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
There was that society in TNG that killed everyone at age 65, I thought that was because they lived too long otherwise.

Anyway, even if you live forever you'll still die when the universe does.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Joke’s on you, the universe dies with me.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

Mister Kingdom posted:

The worst part of living for hundreds of years is all those Spider-Man reboots.

Time traveler stumples out of an ally. "Hey who is spider man? Hey you who is playing spider man in the movies?"

"Toby Maguire"

"I've gone to far. I've gone to far!!!"

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

HD DAD posted:

Joke’s on you, the universe dies with me.

There's a major human faction in one of Stephen Baxter's Xeelee Sequence series that actually believes this (the universe exists specifically because we are here to observe it into existence). They extrapolate that to some real weird places!

His stuff also tangentially deals with the whole "we have anti-aging" technology but mostly it's discussed in the context of what happens to human society when that tech is suddenly taken away from us

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watched a few Love Death Robots yesterday, a couple of which touch upon immortality in a human future.

One was a future where every one's immortal through use of a medical technology, as a consequence reproduction is prohibited, the drug is paired with sterilization and people who go off of the drug are hunted down, imprisoned, and their illegal children murdered by cops.

The other one was just some dude randomly born with immortality and regen-xmen powers and he's lonely about it, plus people want to chop off his balls.

OK but Trek skips the human elements of technology and replaces it with some sweet ideals version and all the evil bad stuff is actually only good stuff and only good, nice, people will use the technology in good, positive, ways. Well then we can look at The Good Place Season at the problem with immortality + utopia + unlimited resources, although in Trek there's much more room for things to go wrong and evil or hurtful.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

No Luck Needed posted:

Time traveler stumples out of an ally. "Hey who is spider man? Hey you who is playing spider man in the movies?"

"Toby Maguire"

:v:

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Snow Cone Capone posted:

His stuff also tangentially deals with the whole "we have anti-aging" technology but mostly it's discussed in the context of what happens to human society when that tech is suddenly taken away from us

Isn't some of it, "We have anti-aging technology, because the aliens that took earth over gave it to their collaborators, and now that earth is free, if you're suspiciously young, it probably won't go well for you"?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Khanstant posted:

OK but Trek skips the human elements of technology and replaces it with some sweet ideals version and all the evil bad stuff is actually only good stuff and only good, nice, people will use the technology in good, positive, ways. Well then we can look at The Good Place Season at the problem with immortality + utopia + unlimited resources, although in Trek there's much more room for things to go wrong and evil or hurtful.

How did the Good Place handle it having never seen the show?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Most (but not all) people eventually choose to die permanently after achieving fulfillment after several hundreds of thousands or millions of years of paradise.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Epicurius posted:

Isn't some of it, "We have anti-aging technology, because the aliens that took earth over gave it to their collaborators, and now that earth is free, if you're suspiciously young, it probably won't go well for you"?

IIRC humans developed the technology, and when they were occupied the 2nd time, it was taken away and only given to a select few, but I think those select few were already known to be collaborators anyway.

e: to me one of the cooler points was that it was explicitly technology, and therefore like any other technology prone to failing or being rejected,

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

Most (but not all) people eventually choose to die permanently after achieving fulfillment after several hundreds of thousands or millions of years of paradise.

I loved the little reminders now and then that probably a few millennia had passed since the events of the previous episode. Or a couple Jeremy Bearimys.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Also I found concept art for the next trek

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

No Luck Needed posted:

"Toby Maguire"

Twist reveal from Planet of the Apes but instead of the statue it's a movie poster of the Young Sheldon kid in Spider-Man 17.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

What would the procedure be if humans get to the point of colonizing other worlds with bringing along animals. Seems like on our planet it's always been pretty devastating whenever someone brings a plant or animal across the world to a new place and invasive species quickly outcompete and radically later the ecological balance.

Was Noah's Ark a good idea, or did he simply introduce a world's worth of invasive species to a new post-flood environment?

Is it less of a big deal on planets that have no life, even if they have the potential for life and that's why you're importing beasties? Do they do extensive surveys and if they find so much as a floating protein in the ocean soup, they back off forever?

edit: I know Data had a cat and presumably others did as well -- did they ever show a cool Trek-litter bin? Does a computer just recycle any cat piss and poo poo in a room so the cats can just piss n poo poo anywhere? Were there dogs aboard spaceships, did they ever breed them to all be good boys?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh, is that what's happening? I thought they were removing the Borg augmentations after that colony Nova Cetacea that got assimilated was liberated by the Federation fleet

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Why would a whale just want to stay immobilized in a tank the whole time. Very cruel of that ship

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The tank hotboxes the whale with sea weed

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
The Physical Impossibility of Being Immobilized in the Tank of Starship

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

All planets are inhabited by identical animals and plants, except that they have planet unique foreheads.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I want to see a Bolian whale

Entire oceanic ecosystems evolved simply to process their copious ill-colored shits

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Khanstant posted:

What would the procedure be if humans get to the point of colonizing other worlds with bringing along animals. Seems like on our planet it's always been pretty devastating whenever someone brings a plant or animal across the world to a new place and invasive species quickly outcompete and radically later the ecological balance.

Was Noah's Ark a good idea, or did he simply introduce a world's worth of invasive species to a new post-flood environment?

Is it less of a big deal on planets that have no life, even if they have the potential for life and that's why you're importing beasties? Do they do extensive surveys and if they find so much as a floating protein in the ocean soup, they back off forever?

According to the show terraforming only ever happens on planets that have no life and will never be able to develop life without outside interference.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Pounded in the Butt by

Khanstant posted:

The Physical Impossibility of Being Immobilized in the Tank of Starship
by Dr. Chuck Tingle

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Brawnfire posted:

I loved the little reminders now and then that probably a few millennia had passed since the events of the previous episode. Or a couple Jeremy Bearimys.

They changed all the time references to Bearimies in the final episode to keep it vague and never really clarified how long a subjective Bearimy is, if it even is subjectively consistent, but in the table read Elanor says she knew Tahani for about 70 million years. Maybe exaggeration, maybe not. The rest of the episode implies it was probably at least over a hundred thousand years or so, I think.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 31, 2021

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Was it really that unique? Their solution just felt like reincarnation until they become good and reach heaven to then when they tire of that they leave the cycle. It's Buddhism with a little bit of heaven thrown in

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

Was it really that unique? Their solution just felt like reincarnation until they become good and reach heaven to then when they tire of that they leave the cycle. It's Buddhism with a little bit of heaven thrown in

:yeah:

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: to me one of the cooler points was that it was explicitly technology, and therefore like any other technology prone to failing or being rejected,

I liked this in the Red Mars trilogy as well. Some people developed resistance to the treatment and died anyway, there was still problems with age-related diseases and new conditions developing as people aged out beyond the natural human lifespan. And it was a treatment you had to keep taking about every ten years so you could opt out without explicitly committing suicide, though after it had become the social standard that's how a lot of people saw it. And of course there's still other diseases and conditions, accidents, crimes of passion, risktakers and the foolhardy, all the usual stuff that can punch your ticket.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Khanstant posted:

Were there dogs aboard spaceships, did they ever breed them to all be good boys?

The Ultimate Evolution of Canine Arts.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

I need to know the whale's class identity, specifically in 19th-through-21st-century terms, before I can comment on it

McSpanky posted:

I liked this in the Red Mars trilogy as well. Some people developed resistance to the treatment and died anyway, there was still problems with age-related diseases and new conditions developing as people aged out beyond the natural human lifespan. And it was a treatment you had to keep taking about every ten years so you could opt out without explicitly committing suicide, though after it had become the social standard that's how a lot of people saw it. And of course there's still other diseases and conditions, accidents, crimes of passion, risktakers and the foolhardy, all the usual stuff that can punch your ticket.
This seems like what would actually happen, broadly constructed, although surely there would be specific breakthroughs which have larger impacts than others.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 1, 2021

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Nessus posted:

I need to know the whale's class identity, specifically in 19th-through-21st-century terms, before I can comment on it

oh you say that about everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Brawnfire posted:

So they're rehashing Voyage Home?